Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Eclipse: Crystalline Ocean (NWR)
Old 19 Aug 2009, 06:02   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Eclipse: Crystalline Ocean (NWR)

Well, it's been a few months since my last update, hasn't it? Kind of put this story on halt for a while because I was wondering where to take the plot next, but after deciding to overhaul the first chapter, I thought I'd overhaul everything and make my first non-40k story(gasp :P) I'll be scratching out most of the stuff in the original, but a few characters will end up returning, I hope you guys will find this re-edited version an improvement, though if you don't feel free to say so. Without further ado, wham! ;D

Original can be found here.

Eclipse: Crystalline ocean…

Prologue: A sea of shifting colors…

He couldn’t tear his gaze free from it, it laid everywhere, spanning for what seemed to be an eternity. The nostalgia, the feeling was overwhelming, memories long forgotten rushing to re-emerge in a blurred sequence.

Everything flashed by so quickly, only to be replaced by a near exact replica. He could not escape it; this was his destiny, here lied his destination, in the midst of crystal seas. He never thought he’d return, to a land long devoid of natural life. It had only been ten years… the ever flowing passage of time that never stagnated, rushing like the steady rivers in the lush valleys of Irothis, had seemed to pass by in the blink of an eye. Now everything seemed to be slowing down again, grinding back into its normal pace; though he knew, such a pleasant calm never endured for long.

The majestic white light of a full, ethereal moon alongside a sea of stars poured through a cloudless night, illuminating all it touched with an unearthly glow. Though perhaps that was merely because he walked through an unearthly place.

Stretching passed the limits of his vision, an endless, rugged plain of ice, that rose and dipped across large portions of the land, like an expansive valley. Though no ordinary ice was it, no, truly, one could not call it ice. It possessed similar tributes: it was frozen, skin numbing, and nearly rock solid to the touch. But physically, it resembled a gigantic, thick sheet of crystal, smooth yet worn from decades of weathering. Various formations randomly littered the landscape, just as random as the colors they displayed. Jetting spires of fiery orange, small bushes of blood red, entire hills and pits of violet, etc. Yet it wasn’t crystal, it broke and crunched just like ice, it cumulated and hardened as if it were cobbled snow eventually frozen over from winter nights.

Even so, the view was beautiful, ensnaring. It only grew out in the arctic waste of the far north, though it grew from one edge to the next within its borders. Even so, not many came to see such a sight… indeed, hardly anyone with common sense passed the border into the Kingdom of Valicia. Many creatures guarded their borders and the wastelands.

The unnerving howls of an arctic breeze whipping and whispering its screaming music across the tundra plagued this realm constantly, challenging every step deeper into it‘s forsaken heart. No mist or fog was carried along its current, just a bone numbing chill that sought to subdue all it touched.

The sleek form of his four wheeled jeep was a dark shade of camo-green against the ice, parked in lingering, multi-colored mist it had brewed beneath the grinding all terrain wheels that navigated it, partially concealing the two figures sitting together against the vehicle’s door.

“Well, I’m pleasantly surprised you’ve actually come. Saves me some trouble, you know.”

The billowing gust ran its invisible fingers thoroughly through her silky, tan brown hair that, splitting it into a flurry of strands as they were swept off her shoulders into the sky. Over-lapping bangs nearly draped violet eyes that glowed as if they were illuminated within. Her eloquent temple shrine robes fluttered in the ensuing gust. Her pants were a burning sapphire, trimmed with golden markings he wouldn’t attempt to discern the meaning of. They seemed oversized for her slender frame though, but tied in place with her enwrapping belt. Tucked within was a thick snow white robe, it too slightly large.

Nya’ka raised two slender fingers to remove the smoldering cigarette from the light smirk playing on her lips, blankly observing the steady stream of smoke exhaled from her lungs, watching it rise to inevitably dissipate into the night. “You’re not very clever when it comes to concealing your presence, are you?” She allowed herself a light giggle, slightly shifting her gaze to the man sitting to the right of her.

“Maybe… but how did you fine me so quickly?” It was a soft spoken, yet deep voice that responded, semi-raspy and harsh, yet somehow smooth and delicate.

Incredibly pale skin nearly reflected rays of glimmering moonlight with a gleam off the exposed areas of a lean, muscular frame. A simple wardrobe that was nothing as ornate as Nya’ka’s. Large, baggy, dark grey pants complemented with a sleeveless, black shirt. Lacking any sort of jacket to conceal much of anything, the pair of finely polished, golden, customized revolvers were exposed hanging from either side of his belt, alongside a sheath of a blade.

Jasairis lowered his gaze, lost in thought as he stared deeply into the terrain beneath him. Cherry blossom eyes peered from a youthful face, only vaguely worn from the stress and tear of his conflicts. Short, silky jet black hair just grazed either of his broad shoulders. “I figured it take a day or two longer before we’d meet… though I’ve never thought it’d go like this.”

“There’s no fog here, you know.” Nya’ka shrugged carelessly with her statement. “With the cloud of mist your jeep was kickin’ up, it wasn’t an issue discovering it. And here we find ourselves now, smoking side by side while we watch the stars sail across the sky.”

“Is that alright, as enemies?” Jasairis suddenly asked when turning to her, betraying his stoic face with a rare smile, sighing loudly as he leaned back against the side door.

A moment of silence was allowed to transpire between the pair, Nya’ka keeping up her blank stare for a while before shifting her view back onto the horizon, returning the expression warmly. “I’d like to believe so, there’s no rush, friend, after all… someone’s life ends tonight.”

“Tonight.” Jasairis sighed breathlessly, raising the cigarette once more to his lips before responding. “Is it ever morning here?”

The man unconsciously raised an eyebrow when Nya’ka stifled a whole hearted laugh into a sporadic chuckle. “Of course, you’ve never had the fortune of seeing for yourself, your luck has never been one to be envied. It’s not so common, but yes, it does rise every other morning. It’ll come tomorrow.”

“If I live to see tomorrow.” Jasairis stated matter-of-factly, grunting with the effort placing a hand on either of his knees and forcing himself up to his feet, brushing the icy snow off his pants before stretching stiff muscles. No sooner than had he done so did Nya’ka find herself cast in the shadow of the towering figure. Not that she wasn’t used to it by now, Jasairis was tall enough to stand a few heads over the tallest people she’d ever seen.

“True enough.” She agreed, expelling another cloud of smoke from her mouth in an unsuppressed yawn.

At that, the two simply waited for a moment, an awkward silence descending upon them once more. Jasairis finally broke it with a soft clearing of his throat, pitching the cigarette away without a second thought. “It seems it’s time.”

“Remember me, Jasairis.” Nya’ka declared with grim finality, an unusual frown forming beneath a gaze of utter determination. “Remember me in death, so that we’ll reunite once more in another realm. Remember me if you live, for then my legacy shall never pass in time. Do this, and I swear to you, I’ll do the same. Flesh and bone may wear and fade, but memories are undying.”

Nya’ka could easily decipher the grimace in Jasairis‘ hardened stare, but he failed to speak, simply choosing to nod instead. “It’s strange…” She calmly resumed. “After all that’s happened… I can‘t help but feel at peace, no matter the outcome in the end of all this. I wonder, have you the heart to achieve the task at hand?”

Despite herself, Jasairis was unable to hold a knowing grin from crossing his face, apparently choosing to simply not provide an answer. Closing his eyes against the harsh touch of another revitalized gust, he lowered his gaze before slowly striding off into the artic wilderness. Bewildered, Nya’ka’s previous expression was quickly overridden with one of confusion, merely watching him depart.

He managed to distance himself a few feet before finally coming to an abrupt halt. Sparing a sidelong glance over his shoulder, locking cold eyes with the observing warrior. “Watch me.”

That they’d shed their life’s blood no longer
For the greater cause, no one paused
In Death’s snarling face, sprayed the mace

A meow for the King, an ‘arf for the Chief
TheFuzz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Sep 2009, 01:50   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Eclipse: Crystalline Ocean (non-40k)

Removing for re-editing ;D.
That they’d shed their life’s blood no longer
For the greater cause, no one paused
In Death’s snarling face, sprayed the mace

A meow for the King, an ‘arf for the Chief
TheFuzz... is offline   Reply With Quote