Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Monat
Old 15 Dec 2008, 09:03   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Monat

Monat

Blood, even before his eyes registered it he knew that there was blood, everywhere. A gash above his eye was the reason why he was blind, something punctured or broken in his chest was the reason why blood bubbled through his teethe. Blood and then there was the screaming. He knew they were his people, they were his brothers, and they were dieing. He rose, pain blossoming within him and blood spouting from his mouth, but he continued, the screams from his family pushing the pain away.
There were three of them, two sniggering troopers and a tall, thin man clothed in a dark long coat. The tall one stood over Ui’ Cog’ta, a thin sliver of metal in his hand which he was calmly, leisurely, pulling in and out of the Tau XV pilot.
Ui’ Braki’m lay in a twisted heap to the left of him, his face a mass of torn flesh, his arms and legs broken at awkward angles. The thing that had finally killed him was a thick bayonet, protruding from his chest. Burning rage coursed through his veins, with a broken hand he reached out and pulled the bayonet from his brother’s chest, blood, their blood, coated the blade.
The tall Gue’la saw him and quickly sauntered over, kicking him in the teethe, knocking him back. “If you want your turn so fast, Blue scum, I’ll make it your last wish.” He turned, pulled his side arm from its holster, and shot Cog’ta through the head.
“No!”
“Your turn-”
A long, curved knife seemed to grow out of the tall Gue’las chest. It gave a look of confusion, his mouth opening in a silent yell before a brown, muscled arm snaked around his neck and broke it. Falling forward, an enormous male Kroot was revealed. The two other troopers were dead, other Kroot standing over them, their beaks bloody with the kill-right.
“You are the one ‘Vre Al’cada, yes?” The Shas’Vre looked down at his dead brother, emotion ready to tear itself loose. The Kroot followed his gaze.
“The loss of your blood-kin, your people understand change, this is the hardest.” The words stung, Al’cada rose, standing at the Kroots midsection.
“Use this anger, Tau, and let us tear this place apart.” The Kroot produced a human weapon the size of a carbine. “I am Hraakith, I am your rescuer.” Al’cada caught it, then followed the three Kroot into the night.

Outside was cold, forested, and wholly alien. An entire kindred of Kroot waited, their long rifles trained on the trees around them. Six other Tau had been rescued from their holdings, all of them bloodied.
“My word, we strike.” Hraakith whispered in Tau, then repeated in his indecipherable language.
Al’cada saw ahead of them the Gue’la encampment, who knew how many there were, who knew what planet they were on, who cared. He primed the alien weapon in his hands. Hraakith pulled a Tau device from his belt, setting some kind of timer then threw it. It landed in the center of the tents. And then the night exploded.

Old 15 Dec 2008, 11:13   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Monat

Great job, it was a good read . I particularly like how you describe objects without naming them, for example: "a thin sliver of metal in his hand". I think it works really well and appears to be a clever way of writing.
Is this going to become larger or is it just a short story? It would be interesting to know what lead to this I think, more so than the ensuing battle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minako
That may just be helped by massive boobs though, i'm female. I don't know how that shiz works...
arandomshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Dec 2008, 22:09   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

thanks- this is going to be something of a larger piece- not really combat oriented but more of a look at Tau society.

appreciate the specificity of the critique.

Al’cada walked into the madness. Gue’la warriors were scattered about, blind, clutching their eyes or covering their ears. The photon-mass bomb had done it’s job, and now Al’cada would do his duty.
From thirty strides Al’cada killed two humans in quick succession, the weapon in his hand spitting primitive laser pulses was more than up to the task for cutting open their weak flesh. Somewhere, in the back of his mind, was the trained warrior, judging the landscape, determining fire patterns, judging the nature of the Kroot as they sprang into close quarters. But in the forefront he had ceased being. He was no longer a servant, a shield, a weapon for the Empire or the Purpose, he was simply hate, rage, madness given physical form.
The next Gue’la stood, it’s ears and nose bleeding, it’s eyes filled with fear and confusion. The las-round found it’s center mass leaving a gaping black crater. The smell of cooked meat was good. Death was good.
Another, this one stumbling from it’s tent, then another, rising with it’s weapon in useless hands. Another and another and another until Al’cadas weapon would fire no more, could not keep with his bloodlust, that was fine with him. Spinning the weapon about he drew back, holding the las-gun like a baton and crushing the skull of a prostrate Gue’la female.
An officer, tell-tale by the ridiculousness of a plumed helmet, ran forward, toothed blade drawn. Al’cada knew the male rushed forward out of rage, perhaps the stain on the ground had been it’s mate… Good. Al’cada smiled, let the angered human forward then stepped neatly aside as the first clumsy swipe clearly missed him. Still disoriented, that was fine, Al’cada spun, using the momentum to bring the rifle in a curved arc that struck the human’s spine, echoing a sickening crunch.
But he wasn’t dead, not yet, he spluttered and coughed blood but life was still in him. Al’cada placed a hoof on the Gue’las neck, held it there for a moment so the savage would know it was dead, then he brought the rifle down, over and over and over…
Old 16 Dec 2008, 18:50   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Nice addition, to be honest I didn't enjoy it as much as the first piece but it's still good. Seems to be taking an odd turn, especially for a Fire Warrior, should be interesting to see what takes place next.

I meant to ask before, how is the title 'Monat' related to the story?

Keep it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minako
That may just be helped by massive boobs though, i'm female. I don't know how that shiz works...
arandomshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Dec 2008, 10:31   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to deraj Send a message via MSN to deraj

I'd also like to say that this is quite an awesome peice. Very... emotional.
deraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Dec 2008, 07:28   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

“He is… Recovering.” Medical Overseer Por’Ui Co’besh straightened in front of El’ Vol’ka. The bunker was dimly lit, so unlike typical Fio structures that typically radiated light in representation of their portrayal of the Tau’va. Vol’ka though the darkness was fitting.
“In my professional opinion, I believe the Shas’Vre to be suffering from crippling depression which, in turn, has lead to his unwarranted degree of violence-”
“Unwarranted?” Vol’ka stood from behind his desk. “The Gue’la broke their treaty, captured military advisors, and executed them. Al’cada has been afflicted to unknown tortures from beings claiming to be allies to the Tau, illegally imprisoned where he was forced to watch his bond-mates suffer and die. Yet you believe his actions unwarranted?” Co’besh gulped, his eyes caste downwards, confused.
“Shas’El, I meant no disrespect. However, I must insist that Shas’Vre Al’cada be placed in either the Va’uush Medical facility so I can properly monitor him or that he be returned to Ka’nahim on the next transport ship. His wanton violence is evident of a massive psychological break down.” The Por’Ui began removing flims-sheets from a stack he kept tightly in his hands. “There were not just Gue’la insurrectionists present, but as you can see here… And here, there are civilian dens which were butchered without offered quarter.”
“The Kroot are known for such brutality.”
“Perhaps, but look,” Co’besh placed a picture on top of the rest, “this female, who was bludgeoned to death, the Shas’Vre does not even deny this murder!” Vol’ka looked at the photo, sighed, then sat back down.
“These are unusual times, Por’Ui Co’besh, and in these times one must excuse acts we consider, under normal circumstances, to be barbaric. This female was present in a sanctioned hostage retrieval mission, ‘Vre Al’cada applied the necessary tactic to achieve his mission. I am overriding your medical opinion, Al’cada will be returning to active duty…”

Co’besh threw off his medical visor as he entered his personal office adjoining the medicae facility. Walking over to his desk he slumped into the ergonomic chair.
“By all the sands… I’m not supposed to be doing this.” He keyed the tables internal computer and silently gazed at the repeating holo-reports. It reached Shas’Vre Sa’cea Ursala Al’cada. With a sync pen he quickly wrote a note then dragged an ‘Approval’ rating on the front of the file. That made twenty-six, another Firewarrior approved for front line duty even after abnormal psychological distress, another Tau unraveling with nothing Co’besh could do about it. It had been getting worse, ever since they had left the Cluster and crossed the Gulf. He pulled open a drawer to his left, feeling for…
“Where is it!”
“Looking for this, Por’Ui?” Co’besh spun around in his chair. Al’cada stood in the shadows on the far side of the room., holding up a small, plastic flask.
“Your not authorized to be here!” Co’besh shouted, standing. Embarrassment and guilt coupled with his anger.
“I didn’t drink all of it, just enough to take the edge off of whatever you juiced me with… Catch.” He tossed the flask, Co’besh caught it, weighed the rest of the Ji’hysu, then took a sip. The alcohol burned, but felt good.
“The Shas’El is letting you go.”
Al’cada smiled, perhaps sadly, Co’besh couldn’t see in the light. “Good.”
“If we were in the Cluster you wouldn’t be permitted anywhere near active service. For what you’ve done alone would be reason enough to recall you to your home-Sept.”
Al’cada nodded, coming to sit across from Co’besh’s chair. “I don’t need to tell you where we are, Por’Ui, but it’s not the Cluster.”
“No,” Co’besh sat. “It’s not.”
“It’s the future.”
“What?” Al’cada chuckled.
“No order, no regulation, no rules. Outside, here, in the hinterlands of the Galaxy, the only thing left is purpose, the only thing left is-”
“Tau’va.” Co’besh sighed, taking another sip.
Al’cada nodded, “And it doesn’t matter how that is accomplished.”
“That doesn’t make any sense. Without order, there is no purpose, it is regulation of our inner selves that enables us to become… Better then what you are.” Al’cada’s expression hardened and for a moment Co’besh wondered if he had sparked the monster that he knew lay within. Perhaps if Al’cada had an outburst he could prove this Shas needed further therapy, thus saving his life. But just as suddenly the emotion erupt did it smooth.
“I am a weapon of the Empire, Por, just as you are its conscience. I have been destined from birth to be directed and to kill as readily as I have been trained to defend. I know what I am, perhaps even what I will become. But I will never stray from the One Ideal… It is all I have left.” Al’cada stood, gave a brief bow and walked to the door.
“It’s not going to get any easier, Shas’Vre, every engagement, every emotion will send you in a collapsing psychosis. I can only assure you it will happen, maybe not soon, but you are unraveling, and there will be nothing anyone can do about it if you leave now.” Al’cada stopped, but didn’t turn around.
“I am a weapon, only until I am laid to rest by my master shall I ever cease to be what I am. Thank you, Por’Ui.”
Old 22 Dec 2008, 03:06   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Overextended

Shas’El Vol’ka stepped out onto the mustering bay’s deck of the Manta. Shas engineers hurriedly completed last minute adjustments to Akula tanks and XV teams. Vol’ka grimaced with the knowledge that although this Manta was packed almost to overcapacity, this was nearly the last of the Shas elements on-planet. The separatist forces amongst the Gue’la as well as their Imperial allies were not only determined, they were gaining the upper hand.
No one could have suspected it, of course, which made this war so confusing. The world of Joppta was supposed to have been secure, taken in the same breath when Kel’tyr had been obtained. Since then it had been the staging point for countless raids into the heart of Imperial space. Then, during a visit by Aun’La Kihtau’n, one of Aun’Va’s personal advisors, terrorists had struck.
Intelligence had yet to determine how, or when, but it was clear that Imperial elements had infiltrated the local population, some thirty million Gue’la, and delivered a nuclear device that had incinerated Gracious Union, the Tau Human capital city.
Since then a massive upheaval of Por administrated government had spread like a disease across the planet. The Evident Act carrier ship had been the first to respond, deploying twenty cadres planet side. They had linked up with Gue’vesa units and begun organizing an offence to quell the rebellion lest it spread to the other worlds. As the first acts began, those same Gue’vesa teams, all over the planet, stabbed their Tau allies in the back.
No one could explain the betrayal.
“Medusa, my lord, we can blame it all on that benighted world.” Vol’ka turned. Al’cada bowed. Vol’ka nodded.
“Objectives were achieved on Medusa, Shas’Vre.” He didn’t look good. Bags under his eyes, had he slept? Vol’ka had read the effects of Sudden Union Severance. The Por’Ui had, of course, been correct. Al’cada should have been pulled from the line, however, pilots were scarce, and if the Empire were to at least hold out until reinforcements could arrive, if they arrived, they would need Al’cada, psychosis or not.
“You are correct, of course.” Al’cada tightened a strap on his arm. “However, we were driven from that planet, even now the position of O’Shassera is a mystery. One could argue it was only a matter of time before any dissidence, especially on occupied worlds, made their move. We will never forgive them for what they have done.”
“Control your anger, Shas’Vre.”
Al’cadas brow furrowed, his eyes closed in concentration. “They killed hundreds, thousands. How can such a species be allowed citizenry amongst the Placed in our Empire?”
Vol’ka stepped forward and put a hand on the troubled pilots shoulder. “It is not the species but a cursed minority that has polluted this world. Do not let your hate for our enemy spread to those who remain loyal.”
“I will try.” Vol’ka nodded.
“You will be piloting your brother’s suit, it was recovered at the ambush side of your Cadre. Will that be a problem?”
Al’cada’s eyes hardned, his eyes searching the deck and falling on the lone XV-8-3 in a dark corner. “It would be my remaining life’s joy to bring death to my brother’s murderers in the armor he bore.”
“Be just, Shas’Vre, obey and act.”
“By the Light.”
“For the Empire.” Al’cada nodded and walked toward his suit.