Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Eclipse: Crystalline Ocean
Old 15 Oct 2008, 02:22   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Eclipse: Crystalline Ocean

I'm sure many of you(if not all :P) remember this from the fiction contest, this was my entry. But now that I think about it, I never said that I was planning to expand upon it. But I am, this is going to be updated along side Infinite Circuitry of fate(No I haven't forgotten about it :P, just been busy). So yeah, I'm going to repost the beginning parts of the story and I already have a good part of chapter 3 ready for posting. Comments, critisms and all that are always welcome. I've got some questions at the end of this.

At first I really didn't think of it as a story. I'm not quite sure why or how, but the picture of a crystalised, artic wasteland just came into my mind and I thought it would be a nice setting for a story. Of course, I put it off for a good week or two :P, but I never really forgot it. So I tried to come up with some plot, I still wasn't really sure when I had written the first chapter. That was really why I had just explained some of the characters and the plot I was thinking up in the whole thing.

Though now that I look at it and someone else had told me the same thing, that I spent a little too much detail and time on the characters and the setting. I know I shouldn't have, but with no real aim to take the story I just stuck with it. What do you guys think? Was it a bit boring?

I cleaned up a few errors since the enrty of the contest and I had sometime to think upon the plot. Its still hazy, but I have a general idea of where I want to take it. So I guess I'll post it up here, enjoy!

~~~~~~
Eclipse: Crystalline ocean…

Chapter 1: A sea of rainbows

He couldn’t tear his gaze free from it, it laid everywhere, spanning for what seemed to be an eternity. It kindled so many memories…of a life long past, of loved ones, long forgotten and long buried. Why wasn’t he buried? Maybe he was already dead, a soulless shell? No, he was over exaggerating, he had never felt so flooded, with life in any other point in his time. He couldn’t fall, not here, there were many things that remained on his agenda. Besides, he had a vow to fulfill, he had never broken one, and he didn’t intend to make a start.

Everything flashed by so…so quickly, only to be replaced by a near exact replica. He could not escape it, this was his destiny, here lied his destination, in the midst of crystal seas. Never thought he’d return, to a land long devoid of natural life. He couldn’t believe it had only been ten years. The ever flowing passage of time that never stagnated; rushing like the steady rivers in the lush valleys of Irothis, had seemed to pass by in the blink of an eye. Now everything seemed to be slowing down again, grinding back into its normal pace, though he knew, such a pleasant calm never endured for long, not out in this wilderness.

Stretching passed the limits of his vision, an endless, rugged plain of ice, that rose and dipped in large portions of the land, like an expansive valley. Though no ordinary ice was it, no, truly, one could not call it ice. It possessed similar tributes, it was frozen, skin numbing, and nearly rock solid to the touch. Physically, it resembled a gigantic, thick sheet of crystal, smooth yet worn from decades of weathering. Various formations randomly littered the landscape, just as random as the colors they displayed. Jetting spires of fiery orange, small bushes of blood red, entire hills and pits of violet. All of it seemed to glimmer, radiating with some unknown aura as it basked in the white light of a beaming full moon accompanied with a sea of stars. Yet it wasn’t crystal, it broke and crunched just like ice, it cumulated and hardened as if it were cobbled snow eventually frozen over from winter nights.

Even so, the view was beautiful, ensnaring…Despite the throaty bellow of a sole engine, the constant crunch and grind of wheels of crystalline ice, the howling, artic breeze that whipped and whispered its screaming music on the wind, nothing could take away from such a scenic view. A view that only so few receive the opportunity to gaze upon. It only grew out in the artic waste of the far north, though it grew from one edge to the next within its borders. Even so, not many came to see such a sight…indeed, hardly anyone with common sense passed the border into the Kingdom of Valicia. Many creatures guarded their borders and the wastelands, though only one are infamously known among human kind…

The sleek form of his four wheeled jeep was a dark shade of camo-green against the ice. Brewing up a powdery, rainbow mist beneath its canopy as its all terrain traveling wheels grinded the rare substance into dust. Overworked engines roared their delight as they reached their limit, pushing itself to its maximum speed in return for its driver’s content. It was a mere speck in an ocean of crystal ice, that was what they had named it, spewing a powdery fog behind it, that rose like smoke belched from the heart of a raging inferno to inevitably dissipate across the sky. He couldn’t help sparing a glance into his rear view mirror to watch the mist shift in colors, indirectly catching a glimpse of himself in the process.

Honestly, it was more than a bit difficult to see everything through the sleek pair of sunglasses shielding his eyes. In fact, it was incredibly difficult to see much at all…if he had not been given such enhanced sight. Even so, he could imagine his surroundings just as well. It was still dim, but over the years of constantly wearing them in similar conditions, he had grown use to it.

His pale white skin was mostly concealed in baggy, matt black pants, a sleeveless, black shirt. Over lapping those was an unzipped leather jacket-coat that dropped to his calves, stopping just at his slick, jet black boots. Despite being fully unzipped, the jacket effortlessly hid the pair of finely polished, golden, customized revolvers hanging from either side of his belt, along with a variety of items. That and the sheath of his most treasured and sacred sword of immense power, said to have been blessed by the Emperor himself with the power to pulse with electrical energies. But the jacket did fail to cover the three necklaces swaying freely from his neck round his chest. The largest at the fore was a glittering, silver cross chain etched with tiny prayers and blessings. The second was a golden Aquila his parents had gifted him with when he was but a child. It was too large for him to wear at the time, but he felt compelled to keep it for some reason. They had told him it held the power to ward off evil, if that was true, he was still waiting for such to happen. The third, was the icon of a moon, three fourths of it being pitch black while the other was a gleaming silver. It was a symbol of an eclipse, some sort of icon he had failed to find the meaning of, but had decided to keep it anyway.

Long, flowing, jet black hair fell well past his shoulders before coming to end at his waist, with the bangs dropping to the half point of his forehead. A thick, lit cigar jetted between two rows of perfect teeth, smoldering with a cloudy aura of smoke.

Jasairis Sil, a naturally intimidating figure, about six foot seven. Though muscular, he was more of a lean, kind of thin man. A soft spoken individual that rarely spoke much, and when he did, his smooth, not too deep voice rarely ever ascended above a loud whisper. He kept mostly too himself, but wasn’t afraid to communicate with others either. Not many things are known about his childhood, in fact, not much is really known about him at all. Save for the fact that he was born in human kingdom of Irothis.

Jasairis remained silent as he kept his view focused on the road ahead, occasionally edging the vehicle to the side to avoid incoming obstacles. The man only added to the racket of his engines with an inaudible sigh as he released another cloud of drifting smoke. A random cough beside him gained his attention for a split second. He shifted gaze to the left to see a coughing figure in the passenger seat.

He was shirtless, exposing a heavily muscular frame, slightly bulkier than Jasairis, yet a few inches shorter in height. Short, rough, blonde hair nearly draped his cyan blue eyes, narrowly squinted to shield them from the freezing wind. His face was contorted into an irritated expression, something Jasairis had seen a lot since the two had met. His skin, usually a tanned color, was notably pale in the bone chilling coolness, magnifying the many scars that criss-crossed his body. His simple, beige pants were partially covered in scraps of gleaming, scaled, sky blue armor, trimmed with a bone white round the edges. Slung over his shoulders over his back was the a large, one handed shield, also a sky blue color, trimmed neatly with white. It was rounded, slightly curved, expertly crafted thick sheet of metal that looked cumbersome in hands of anyone else. Clutched in both of his hands each was a average metal axe.

Kynvas was a brash, somewhat arrogant type of man; cocky, fearless, always willing to accept the challenge. But being born in the old world of Balewind, such an attitude was not unexpected. His voice was resounding and naturally raspy, not really matching his face. He was veteran from the Ashina wars a few years ago, rewarded with many metals that honored his valor and skill. He was quick to boast and to fight, but lacked the fiery temper usually associated with it.

“Its damn cold out here!” Kynvas abruptly spat, scowling to display his discontent of the situation. “I swear its colder than home in the worst of winters, and that’s saying something.”

“Does this thing not have air conditioning?” A youthful voice, vibrant and unmistakably female was muffled under the torrent of wind despite shouting, came from the rear of the vehicle. Jasairis took another glance in his rear view mirror…

The figure was fully erect in between the seating, gripping the end of the heavy bolter built into the top of the hood for dear life. She was a thin, wiry muscled figure, dressed in the standard Snow white, lavender fatigues associated with one of the Imperial guard regiments only founded in the modern country of Hailadon. They were pretty tight on her slender frame, hugging her deep curves. Slung over her shoulder was her favored las-gun.

Silky, lavender hair that would have spilled over her shoulders was pulled back into an arched pony tail. Two separate braids that hung from either side of her forehead flanked her sparkling, ocean blue eyes. She licked her dried, pursed lips in a vain attempt to moisturize them, knowing full well the rushing breeze would deny her such a comfort.

Ailina muttered a soft curse under her breath, forced to endure the ramshackle ride while standing. Easier said than done, at some points she was almost thrown out, the vehicle was speeding so quickly. Maintaining a vigilant watch was nearly impossible due to the clouds of rainbow mist they were kicking up. The freezing touch of the whipping breeze effectively clogged her numbed ears, basically rendering any methods of staying alert nearly useless.

A trio, a triumvirate; three various people, from various walks of life. What goal have they set themselves to accomplish? That they would endure artic weather, for a chance…a chance to set things right. Each possess their own story, ambitions, dreams, regrets. It all comes back, all is linked to a crystalline ocean; that floods the northern lands. An ocean of solid substance, that sparkles and shines as if pulsating from within by day, glimmering and radiating with majestic beauty by night. What bought these three together? Well, that would be quite a tale…another circuitry of fate.
That they’d shed their life’s blood no longer
For the greater cause, no one paused
In Death’s snarling face, sprayed the mace

A meow for the King, an ‘arf for the Chief
TheFuzz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Oct 2008, 01:05   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Eclipse: Crystalline Ocean (C and C appreciated)

Chapter two: In pursuit…

Year, 4050- Irothian calender
Hyas-(month)-Xiya’mawe- Othan-(day)-Ha’go
Tigoun-(season)-Ja‘esa-(spring)
Location- Irothis- Uridene

A rushing breeze swept through the heart of Uridene woods. Kindling a drowning chorus of rustling leaves, chiming in unison with the gentle swaying of dense, lush foliage and boot high grass that concealed its floor. Various, local birds would occasionally chirp in rapid succession, darting from tree to tree as if dancing to their sing-song music. If any animals were dwelling in the area, none made their presence known. The beaming light of a midday sun, unchallenged by humble, drifting clouds, cast the ancient woods in an enchanting aura. Effortlessly blaring through the gaps that distanced the trees from one another.

She weaved through them effortlessly, gracefully twirling and leaping in high arches among the multitude of various flowers, before inevitably landing on the bare tips of her toes. She laughed as she did so, a carefree and gentle laugh. The billowing wind ran a its invisible fingers thoroughly her silky, tan brown hair that had to have fallen to her knees, splitting it into a flurry of strands as they were swept off into the sky. Her overlapping bangs were pushed before her cherry blossom pink eyes. Her eloquent temple shrine robes fluttered in the ensuing gust. Her pants were a burning sapphire, trimmed with golden markings he wouldn’t attempt to discern the meaning of. They seemed oversized for her slender frame though, but tied in place with her enwrapping belt. Tucked in was her snow white robe cloth, it too slightly large to fit.

Iylia merely continued to dance, seemingly oblivious to the world. She had always loved dancing, but she never could get the grasp of it…until now. Even so, Jasairis barely took notice, stalking behind a few paces back as he continued his silent observation. He was still dressed in his normal wardrobe, the leather jacket and all, though his hazel brown eyes were fully exposed without a pair of sunglasses.

Honestly, Iylia was happier than he had ever witnessed her to be. Maybe it was because she could actually dance now. She had invested years into it, such an explanation wasn’t too far fetched, but he knew that wasn’t the answer. Within his heart, he would have been content with the thought that maybe it could’ve been love. After all, they were eventually to be wedded, it wasn’t anything guaranteed, but that gut feeling Jasairis tended to rise occasionally told him that it would one day be reality.

“I really tried…tried to make you change your ways, see the world as I see it, Jasairis. Even though I know my efforts are in vain, I try because I do love you.” Iylia’s voice pierced silence, abruptly cutting Jasairis from his thoughts and he shifted his view to see that she had stopped dancing. Her back was turned, sweeping a free hand through her hair as she stared off into a crystal clear sky.

Jasairis merely stared at her, remaining silent as he tried to contemplate those seemingly random words, or the meaning of them. Few seconds passed when he smirked weakly, relaying his response in the same moment.

“What?”

Iylia suddenly spun around to face him, her gentle, smiling face faded into a grim expression. “You are like all the others, you willingly blind yourself to the truth. You have taken faith in false words, of a false deity, and you have enslaved yourself to his cruel will. You would waste away under a tyrant’s rule, instead of living your life in freedom?”

Jasairis’ expression would’ve lit up with shock, but his instincts instantly overrode the expression with a hardened look. If his mind hadn’t been so occupied with discerning her random outburst, perhaps he would have detected the ascending tone of malice in her voice.

“What are you talking about?“ He eventually questioned, his voice was nearly inaudible over the wind, but Iylia’s acute ears easily registered it as if he had shouted.

“I’ve tried to show you, the changes I have undergone, subtly pushing you in my direction.” The priestess merely sighed, sorrowfully shaking her head as she resumed. “But your mind is too engrained in his dogma to see the world beyond the looking glass, a narrow glass that is isolated from so many possibilities. Well I have, and truly, it is beautiful.”

Jasairis noted a fleeting moment of hesitation, Iyria appeared to be uncertain in her next choice of words. But she spoke anyway, confident and calmly.

“I have forsaken the bonds of a rotting corpse, who cares nothing for me nor his followers. A corpse obsessed with a dream long passed, shattered, and forgotten. I have rebuked my allegiance with him for years now, instead I have given myself fully to one that constantly showers me with his love. Have you never noticed? How I danced? Something I could never accomplish in years. My sword techniques have been honed to the point of perfection! I am…perfect, in my master‘s image. Slaneesh has gifted me with much.”

Iylia awaited her loves’ response, anticipating the fiery, murderous rage to envelope him at any moment. That rage never came, Jasairis merely reverted his gaze away from her. His expression remained impassive, not even the tiniest change. He remained stationary, allowing the ensuing silence between the pair to fall upon them, only to be disturbed by a relentless wind and the noise it generated. All was just as he feared it would be, now there was nothing left to him, not anymore, save a sole option, the only option.

A full minute had passed before he finally spoke, this time firmly, but solemnly.

“We are now mortal enemies.”

“We are lovers!” Iylia squeaked, vainly blinking her watery eyes to stem the stream of rushing tears.

“No longer.”

“It’s not too late…forget the blinding rays of the sun. The sparkling moon awaits to cast its holy aura upon you.”

“The time has come, and it is gone. It has fallen like the setting sun on the distant horizon. Like the moon, which will always bear witness to the sun’s light, strives to be like the sun. It glows with a majestic beauty when the sun falls, but in the end it knows that it can never be like the sun, for it only shines because of the sun, and a sea of stars in night sky. Without the aid of the stars, the moon is exposed in its true, honest form: a dark, barren wasteland, a rock devoid of life destined to eternally dwell in jealousy among the sun. I guess that’s one way of viewing damnation.”

“You are a fool!” Iylia spat in a venomous hiss, her thin lips stretching from cheek to cheek in a gleeful smile, revealing a glittering set of perfect teeth, and a glimpse of insanity. “We are mortal enemies…” The priestess snarled as she entered a combat stance, running a hand of the hilt of her sheathed katana. “Will you slay me, love? Can you? I pray that you can, its no fun to dance with a partner with a soul uninvolved, it leaves you…out of sync.”

Jasairis remained silent, he had prepared for this moment, masterfully suppressing whatever feelings his body was experiencing at the moment. Both of his hands unconsciously snaked their way to the holsters of his prized pair of golden revolvers concealed beneath his jacket and he readied himself. No looking back, a deep inhale, a loud exhale.

Iylia spotted her moment of opportunity and sprung forward with a speed no human eye could easily spot. Even so, she had narrowly planted her first foot ahead of her before the loyalist before her flipped out both of his handheld weapons, raising his arms and leveling them in one fluid motion.

Numerous birds scattered in random directions, spurred to a quick escape from the resounding thunderclap that pierced the silence…

~~~~~

Old 17 Oct 2008, 01:05   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Despite firing a split second shot from his right revolver just as he pulled it free, Jasairis took care to aim for his former lover’s head. No hesitation. The weapon bucked reassuringly against the bare skin of his hand, dispensing an accurate shot with a thunderous crack that boomed in his ears.

Iylia easily ducked at the last possible moment, the bullet streaking overhead as she darted forward in a crouched run. Before Jasairis could even realign his aim, she pulled her free hand off the hilt of her sword. Instead, extending both of her hands out before her, despite the couple of feet still separating the dueling pair just out of arm‘s reach. It soon proved that distance wasn‘t an issue for the priestess, the slender pair of short swords she had concealed in her sleeves suddenly slipping from either of her arms neatly into the palms of her hands. Without a second thought she lunged out with both, wedging her left blade into his still smoldering revolver, splitting it into two halves; her right thrusting for his throat.

Instinct overrode Jasairis’ surprise and he instantly fell backwards into a roll. A muttered curse slipping from his lips as he caught the muzzle half of his stricken pistol disappearing under the swaying grass in the corner of his eye, but forced himself to ignore it. At the moment, he had to gain distance.

Iylia watched her strike fly pass its intended target; no bother though, she had expected such. With a predatory glint, she eyed Jasairis as he rolled some ways before flipping to his feet. Once more she shot forward, exerting all her breath into an ear cringing scream before leaping high overhead.

The priestess seemed to hang in midair for a fleeting second, straightening herself before beginning her inevitable descent in a downward spiral. She crossed her swords into an “X” as she did so, once more singling out Jasairis’ throat as she closed distance.

Even so, he remained stationary, grudgedly tossing his broken weapon away, hastily holstering its whole counterpart while bracing for impact. This was it, a sole chance, a narrow window of opportunity. His muscles involuntarily tensed, his adrenaline was flowing, and he vainly attempted to control the heaving in his chest.

“Hah!” Iylia bellowed against the gust, breaking out of her spiral as she swiped her blades for a clean decapitation.

A resounding clash of steel on steel rang out through Uridene, piercing the silence, tearing through the breeze with a lingering echo.

The ever flowing stream of time, that never stagnated, stopped in that instant, or slowed to the point of nigh being stationary. There they were, in the very center of this paradox, their eyes locked with one another‘s, exchanging a thousand unspoken words in an instant. Even the wind had fallen upon now death ears.

Jasairis had a foot entrenched behind his stance to compensate for the sheer force of her attack, leaving a trail of gouged dirt where he was slowly skidding back. A shower of sparks littered the air from where his inactivated power sword “Eclipse” , had parried both of her short blades. The muscles in his arms bunched with effort, desperately pushing themselves to their limits to turn Iylia’s full bodyweight in another direction. Though in the end, it was a vain attempt, for she had budged only slightly with her gained momentum.

Whatever spell that had been cast upon these mortals, these cursed lovers, in one moment, shattered.

Iylia, somehow still in mid-air, shifted her strength into her arms, effortlessly breaking the deadlock with a graceful leap overhead, allowing Jasairis to stumble drunkenly forward. Exploiting his weakened stance, she fell into a straight dive, arms pointed downward.

He didn’t even have to look over his shoulder, already calculating Iylia’s position by her growing shadow against wild grass. He didn’t even stop to recover his balance, instead letting his body fall into another roll, narrowly escaping the kill zone.

Judging she was well within range, no sooner did Jasairis raise himself into a kneeling position did he slice through the breeze behind him with a swift uppercut.

But air would be all the blade would clove, Iylia masterfully somersaulting over the power sword and over Jasairis himself in the blink of an eye. Her gleeful smile stretching wider as she felt the tip graze the cloth of her shirt round her stomach, but failed to pierce it.

A fluid dodge that seemed to deny gravity.

“Great.” Jasairis mumbled under his breath. But despite his situation, his adrenaline driven mind failed to feel worried about it, such an evasive maneuver failed to go unanticipated. He whirled his blade round in perfect sync with his spin to face his opponent just as she landed and before his mind could register his next move, he swiped his two handed sword for a swift decapitation.

The strike found moss infested wood instead as Iylia avoided the fatal blow with a quick duck. A grinding scrape following suit as the power sword effortlessly carved through the hardened bark of the ancient redwood tree, such was the strength behind it.

Spotting her chance, Iylia sprung forward out her crouch, once more stabbing out for a weak spot in her opponent’s defense with wild and random thrusts. The knowing smirk on her lips contorted with effort as she struck out.

Jasairis braced himself as Ilyia’s offense hit home. The priestess attempted a broad arched swing of left blade, destined for his temple. He automatically jerked backwards in response, reversing his previous swing back to parry it. He couldn’t help but smirk at Iylia’ sudden scowl of frustration as her strike was deflected outright. Her arm ricocheted off of Eclipse in the sheer force of the impact and she hurriedly pitched herself to the right, thudding hard off the forest floor to avoid Jasairis‘ momentous swipe. But she wasn’t so careless to leave herself in a position of vulnerability.

Landing on her hands and the very tips of her toes, Iylia was able to immediately recover with a quick leap onto her feet. Almost instantly retaliating with a lightning stab of her right sword to his lower ribcage.

Jasairis spun to his left, narrowly avoiding the thrust that ripped into the thick, matt black hide of his leather jacket. Somehow, the blow had completely gutted his right pocket and disgorged the packet of cigars and the pocket lighter from its stomach. His eyes wondered over the gaping, bloodless wound in the fabric of his coat a split second before banishing the thoughts to the corners of his mind. But that split second was all she needed.

There was a sickening, gut wrenching tear that followed suit.

He felt his clothes dampen with flowing stream warm, oozing liquid originating in the lower left side of his ribcage. His muscles seized up in an instant, suddenly contracting with a crippling pain that seemed to have occurred out of nowhere. His breath immediately shortened in incessant, ragged gasp as it abruptly became difficult for his lungs to accomplish a regular inhale of fresh, forest air. His stance seemed to waver, though he remained upright while trying to blink away his swirling vision.

More out of reflex than skill, Jasairis’ left hand unconsciously shot out; clamping round her wrist and holding in place to limit the damage. He gnashed his teeth through a contorting expression of paralyzing agony; exerting his effort into stifling a feral roar of pain.

Jasaris had lowered his defense for only a split second, and had been dealt a punishing blow in return for his foolishness. Reluctantly, he let his head dip for a second to bear witness to the twin blade imbedded deep into his ribcage, its blood soaked tip protruding from his back. The sensation was surprisingly nauseating, that first experience all warriors are destined to share at one point along their lives. Even so, he had never been stabbed before, but then when he thought about it , he had never faced an opponent such as Iylia either.

As if just a fleeting thought of her was enough to goad the priestess, Iylia smiled her triumph; saying nothing as she lessened the grip on the short sword that had inflicted the wound onto her love. Jasairis was too frozen with the shock to contest her movement and she effortlessly jerked her hand free from his grasp. Instead of delivering a killing blow, Iylia merely stepped back in a calm demeanor, measuring up her handy work with an enthusiastic eye. Jasairis responded with a light headed fall to his knees, only able to watch as that same smile abruptly fade into a frown of disappointment.

“Hmmm…I would’ve expected you to pass out by now…” Iylia suddenly mumbled to herself, her words nearly lost to Jasairis’ ears in the midst of a renewed gust of wind sweeping pass. Really, the fact that the man was still glaring at her reported the fact that she had failed to hit anything vital at all. Such a blaring error, Despite it, she felt a sudden need to boast anyway “It seems you can’t kill me, not yet, my love. Though I must admit, you had me on edge for a moment. But alas, the inevitable has come to pass…”

The priestess paused in her speech to take a step forward into her previous position, descending into a submissive kneel to come face to face to Jasairis. That malice, that hint of insanity that had overwhelmed her expression just moments ago, had vanished. It was now replaced with a soft, worrisome stare, complemented with watery eyes that pierced Jasairis’ very soul. Wordlessly, she flipped her free short blade down before stabbing it deep into the forest floor by her side.

Feeling secure enough to draw closer, Iylia planted a gentle hand upon his cheek, messaging it lovingly as she gazed into the endless depths of Jasairis’ hazel brown eyes. She sighed breathlessly in response, relishing the feeling of rushing adrenaline flooding free from her body; her muscles unwinding in a new sense of calm. “Tell me, are you done? Is this game over? Is it time for me to bask in my victory, to claim my prize?”

If Jasairis had attempted to respond, Iylia failed to decipher a word through the mouthful of blood spewed from Jasairis’ mouth; nearly splattering her clothes in the process. A series of slow, hard intakes of breath and hoarse coughs followed suit and the priestess gave him a comforting pat on the shoulder.

“There there, love.”

Jasairis vainly attempted to focus his swirling vision with the common method of blinking furiously. Though he was forced to stop some seconds later as it continued to grow worse. He felt his bowel rise with a nauseating feeling in his gut as he continued to perceive the world through an ocean of forest colors.

“Disappointing.” Iylia displayed her discontent with a depressed frown, keeping her hand on his shoulder as she swept its opposite through his hair. “You’re leaving me dancing alone out here; I’m in no mood for solos.”

Her words fell upon deaf ears when Jasairis clamped his eyes shut, remaining stationary to limit the explosive jolts of agony from his weeping wound. Ilyia’s voice resembled more of a distant whisper evaporating in the wind under the hard thuds of his beating heart. For the moment, he was solely occupied on recollecting himself.

There was an occasional chirp sang high in the labyrinth of branches of Uridene’s trees, shattering the silence that had descended upon the pair once more. Piercing the rushing wind as it flew by. His muscles relaxed at the touch of the refreshingly cool touch of it, allowing it to drown him completely in its renewed fury. Despite the chain of events that had just transpired, he had, for one fleeting moment, experienced just a taste of serenity.

Jasairis forced his eyes open to a lush forest floor, teeming with lush green grass that swayed in the ever flowing stream of wind. The rustling of a thousand leaves echoed their chorus once more from the highest perches in the vast array of various trees. A blanket of ever falling leaves somewhat blurred the holy aura of light raining from a crystal clear sky.

“She’s beautiful, isn’t she?”

Jasairis suddenly realized why he was bearing witness to such a scene, and his gaze shifted only slightly to his right. There she was again, spinning and twirling so gracefully, with only the slightest amount of effort. Only a few feet away, Iylia danced away, so care freely.

“Uridene I mean, I doubt there is another that could hope to match.”

“W-..why?” Jasairis finally managed to gasp out.

Iylia failed to halt in her new found profession. “Why?” She repeated innocently.

“You never told me why?” Jasairis repeated, this time with a sterner edge in his voice.

The priestess slowly grinded to a halt, lifting her gaze towards the sky before mustering a response. “Time passes in the blink of an eye. In time, planets are undone and Gods arise and fall. In time, our lives fly by like a passing wind. I am dying, Jasairis. Within my heart lies a complexity of emotions. I feel distressed, for I have no one to turn, no other paths for me to take. Sometimes I feel like my life should end.”

Iylia paused to spin on her heel, running a hand through her hair as she faced Jasairis with a depressed expression.

“But, then I come to this place of my ancestors, and I remember…Are we not all dying, to know, life, in every breath? Oh Jasairis, our lives are so short, yet so, so sweet. Yet there are so many who live out the duration of their time in this realm, in misery, discontent, displeasure. I don’t want to be the one who had been cheated life to disease. Nor the one who lives isolated and alone. I don’t want to spend my life laboring in work I find undesirable, or in a cause I don’t believe in. I want to accomplish my dreams, do whatever it is I set my mind to. I want to spend what time I have left being…me.”

A smile stretched across Iylia’s lips, not one of malice or insanity. No, this was a tender smile of love, joy, and beauty. Though Jasairis could barely make it out with his dimming vision. He had allowed his wound to bleed freely till the point the was nigh unconscious.

“I’m leaving, Jasairis.” Iylia whispered, almost to herself. “I won’t come back, I’m going to see what lies beyond these borders. I’m going to see the world, for what it truly is. I hear there are a few Slaneesh cults in the northern nations, half way across the world. Maybe I’ll settle down there, but not after a year or two has passed. I wonder, would you follow me across continents?”

“Only if you make me come after you.” Jasairis stated bluntly, exerting what remained of his energy to make the sentence as smooth as possible.

The priestess’ smile widened, giggling light heartedly to herself before turning away from her love. “Don’t worry Jasaris, I’ll be swift, I’ll be gone…”

Ilyia breaking off into a blurred sprint toward the distant horizon was the last thing Jasairis saw before blacking out.

~~~~~~

The wind had died some time ago, leaving a trail of dead silence in its wake. Honestly, it was unnerving, as if the forest life all together had come to an abrupt halt. Not even the birds stayed to sing any longer. It was now only a sole figure that laid face down in the midst of a sea of stagnant grass.

Something moist poked his cheek and he instinctively swatted it away. Only when it responded in an alerted grunt did Jasairis finally stir from his slumber, shooting his gaze upward to meet the eyes of the mammoth buck staring down upon him before hastily taking flight. He merely listened to the gallops as they faded, his mind instantly flooded with questions.

How long had he slept? It was still daylight, but he could’ve easily been at rest for over a day with his injury. Injury…

With a grunt of effort, Jasairis pushed himself to his knees, running a hand over his wound should have been. His eyes naturally widened when he finally realized it had vanished.

A dream? No…

He paused in his thoughts as he caught a sparkle in the grass by his side. Jasairis pushed the foliage aside to reveal a muddied box of cigarettes, two halves of a split, golden revolver, and even a pocket sized lighter lying half concealed before him.

He gave it no other thought, instantly reaching out for the cigar and box and ripping it open before snatching up his lighter. He pulled free a short, fat cigarette, placing it in his mouth before kindling a spark to light it up. Few seconds passed when he lied once more upon the forest floor, exhaling a mouth full of scented smoke.

“So it begins…”

Old 20 Oct 2008, 15:57   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Chapter three: The weaving strands…
:Imperial Translation:
Year-4058-Irothian Calenders/date
Hyas-(month)-Me’li- Othan-(day)-On’ie`ses
Tigoun-(season)-Fie’thel`a-(early winter)
Location-Tyran, Hailadon
Eight years later…

A resounding knock on the wooden door suddenly shook the entrance’s foundation, but the noise fell upon deaf ears and he remained stationary. A muffled voice, obviously racked in worried, originated from the hall.

“Sarge?”

The humble room was as Spartan as possible, nothing left to it to conceal the rotting wood that made up its walls. All that occupied the cramped interior sat a sole couch in its centre. It was their he sat, his hands cuffed and his head bowed in prayer…intense prayer. Dangling in mid air between his intertwined fingers were six glittering, silver dog tags, each one coated in a layer of gleaming blood that had originated from their previous owners.

“Come on, Sarge, open up!”

The lights were off, leaving the room to drown in a sea of darkness. But he didn’t mind it that way, for it only allowed the six candles before him to shine all the brighter. It was as if the room had been radiating with a holy aura he proceeded to bask in.

“Where are the others?”

His military fatigues were a dark shade if royal blue, broken up with jagged zig-zags of jade strips. The clothing was criss-crossed with a flurry of random nicks and small cuts that he’d received merely an hour before; stained with large puddles of dried blood, his and some of his comrades.

Random, more distant voices in the hall told him the rest of the squad had gathered, adding their own opinions on how the ensuing matter should be dealt.

Hardened, icy blue eyes peered from hair a few shades lighter than a golden yellow blonde; maintained in short, jagged bowl. A series seemingly random scars carved themselves a home on his face, exposing his experience and veteran status gained from years in the rapidly changing fields of war. Though it was difficult to tell pass the stream blood running from the deep gash just above his right eyebrow, coating half his face the in crimson liquid and his eye involuntarily squinted beneath the flood.

His heart was still hammering in chest, thudding deafeningly in his ears as if it were to explode at any second. Though he seemed relax, his muscles were stiff and aching from overuse, pulsating with a dull pain that seemed to flow steadily throughout the entire frame of his body. Even so, he effortlessly ignored the irritating sensation, at the moment he felt compelled only to pray.

It was unbelievable when he thought about it, even after the transpiring events, his mind just couldn’t seem to fathom it. They had all perished in the blink of an eye, how he had even survived the encounter still eluded his thoughts. Still, he knew what must be done; what his honor and duty demanded.

Sergeant Cuois Kyla sighed as he lifted his head from its bowed position for the first time in half an hour. Finally finishing, he leaned forward to the point the was nearly out of his seat. A deep inhale, a loud exhale, and he snuffed out the light of the candles with a swift breath. The enshrouding darkness that followed hide the grim expression he was displaying; radiating his determination to take up this new task. He knew very well he’d be breaking the Emperor’s peace, disregarding the law for a vigilante mission that could very well spark some havoc. But this wasn’t about being obedient, this was about honor, duty, retribution.

Six of his men, that he had known for at least half a decade were dead, butchered mercilessly by some unknown assailant. He couldn’t leave the matter in the hands of others, he was sworn by duty to protect and Emperor willing, he’d uphold it.

He hadn’t explained to his men yet; they had stayed behind in the barracks while he and others went out on patrol.

Ignoring the pain flaring from his multitude of wounds, Cuios merely grunted as he forced himself to his feet; the floorboards vehemently squeaking their protest beneath his combat boots. He walked as if hadn’t been wounded at all, effortlessly moving toward the sole entrance of the humble room till he came face to face with it. He already knew who was waiting on the other side.

He hesitated momentarily, hovering his hand over the knob for a split second before banishing any doubts from his mind; no turning back. He clutched the knob and with a loud creak, swung the door to reveal the dimly lit hallway before him. He couldn’t help raising a brow at what he was seeing.

Standing before his door, trooper Malin was dressed in his military fatigues; utilizing both his arms to carry the unloaded rocket launcher in position to strike the door. The heavy weapons man nearly jumped at the sudden emergence, but managed to stifle it into a slight flinch. Lining the hall in single file, the last ten members his squad lined the hall, hiding their puzzled expressions from his seeking eyes.

Cuios merely locked eyes with Malin, sharing a moment of awkward silence before he finally broke it. “The hell are y’all doing?” His tone was lone and grim, almost a whisper, which told Malin that something wasn’t right; as if he hadn’t figured that out.

“Umm…” Malin spun round on his heel, shoving the anti-vehicle weapon into the arms of the trooper behind him. In turn, whether out of instinct or sheer stupidity, the guardsman responded by turning round and pitching it down hall with all his strength.

A resounding clang followed suit, but fortunately no random residents appeared to investigate the sudden disturbance. Cuios witnessed the event with an arched look, observing intently as all eyes in the squad shifted onto the man responsible.

Malin slapped him hard across the head, gnashing his teeth as he spat, “Dumbass!”

Not a second passed when turned back to his superior. “Uhh… n-nothing… you?”

The Sergeant failed in speaking, opening his mouth, but suddenly lost the will as Malin’s eyes finally dropped onto the dogtags hanging from his clinched fist.

“Dear Emperor Sarge… the frakk happ-”

“Get the men ready.” Cuios ordered abruptly, his voice betraying a hint of hint of building rage he was attempting vainly to conceal. “Tell the Chimera crew we need our ride up in running, five minutes. Commend your souls to the Emperor, bless your weaponry, and we’ll ride out. There’s no time to say anything here, I’ll explain on the way; be sure you’re ready for a fight.”

“Yes, sir.” He stated simply before turning round to inform the men. “Suit up!”

Years of training drilled the command into their minds, and the men roared their approval in unison before jogging off to their rooms. All save Malin and the trooper behind him as the heavy weapons man slapped the younger trooper once more, bellowing a mixture a curses and orders for him to go retrieve his rocket launcher.

Cuios watched the trooper scramble away and Malin caught him giving off an arched look out of the corner of his eye. The trooper spun round to meet his gaze with a genuine smile.

“Tough love.” Grinned the guardsman jokingly and Cuios couldn’t help but bellow a laugh at the response. “Get out the frakk out of here, trooper!”

~~~~~

Night life in the port city of Tyran, Hailadon; a city of the modern world, was pretty much none existent due to curfew. The manufactorums, the docking bays, the districts, all seemed devoid of life when the sun had fallen under the horizon. Though whether it was the law or out of fear was something else to debate entirely.

Only P.D.F. and Arbite patrols scoured the roads by night, searching for a citizen who dared challenge the Emperor’s laws to bring the hammer down upon. Even though Tyran shined with a million various forms of light, it could not conceal the sea of stars that outshined. Though to his eyes, nothing seemed to shine out here, in the tourist district. Half the streetlights had burned out some time ago and the lighting of closed businesses that had lined the winding, four lane street had been shut off as well. Good…

Deyon Avenue radiated a sense of foreboding down its entire length. He knew this was the place. Arbites didn’t come down here, considering this was his squad’s patrol route. The fact that citizens didn’t dwell here at this time was icing on the cake. They’d have a quite amount of time to accomplish their objective.

The grumbling roar of engines pierced the unnerving silence as the hulking form of the Chimera drove down the road at a casual, cautious pace; its navy blue paint job hidden in the impending darkness as it pressed onward.

“Five minutes till we reach the operational area!” A shout from the cock-pit echoed throughout the hull of the transport.

The interior of the mechanical beast mirrored the dark, gloomy atmosphere. The hull was bathed in a dim azure blue emitted from the small bulbs jetting from the corners; barely silhouetting Eighth squad of Fourth platoon of the third Hailadon P.D.F. and the two bolted in benches they sat upon.

It was unusually less cramped than usual, magnifying the fact there were a few missing from the ranks. Cuios sat on the left nearest the rampart, glaring at the las-rifle he carried in palms of his hand. He had never grown comfortable with it, not in all of five years of owning it. It was only ten years ago that had faced his foes in the fields of battle with sword and shield. He just couldn’t feel as proud wielding a weapon that required him to distance himself from the enemy, even more so when his foes still clung to the old ways..

Cuios exiled the thoughts from his mind, taking a moment to overlook his squad; he’d been too absorbed in his thoughts for protocol.

All of his men, similar to all Guard regiments, lacked any form of flak armor what so ever, instead fully suited in modified military fatigues that matched his own. Unlike many Imperial regiments, Hailadon still lacked many of the necessities its units needed. Without any armor, arrows and blades of old nations were a higher priority threat than ever. Which was the main reason of standard issued shields the troopers kept slung over their shoulders and sheathed blades in case of melee.

Cuios knew his men were fierce warriors, equally skilled in tactical firefights as they were in brutal close quarters combat. Well, maybe slightly more so in melees.

Malin sat across from his superior, his usually light hearted expression had faded under a worrisome look. He was lean man, slightly thinner than the average trooper. Though he was fair in his looks: Short, clean, gleaming brunette hair maintained in a finely cut bowl that stopped half passed his forehead. That allowed his hazel brown eyes to see fully and clearly, though he didn’t use them for much save for scanning threats or measuring up a beautiful woman. This day, he lacked his rocket launcher, considering their would be no heavy armor to destroy. He carried a las-gun like the rest of the team.

Sitting by his side was Freji, the only special weapons man in the squad. He was forced to forego his shield to allow the fuel tanks for his hulking flamer. Lugging that thing around even on patrol runs, Freji was naturally built with larger muscles than the average Hailadonian. His face was completely masked under his visor, effectively hiding any hint of his facial features. Even so, Cuois knew he was the closest thing Malin would have to a brother, for they seemed to share the exact same traits and commonly joked with one another.

Beside him was Bradly, youthful teen merely sixteen years old. He was a recent addition to the team, a green recruit so to speak. Like many of the new recruits, he lacked the muscularity that came with the hard life of hand to hand fighting. In fact he seemed unusually scrawny compared to any trooper at all, probably why he served Malin as his ammo loader. His lowly status allowed him to bullied a bit by Malin, but such is the way for all new comers. He knew though that the heavy weapons man was running him hard to be prepared for the battles to come. He was doing a fine job of it, so left the situation in his hands. He was the same trooper who had thrown the rocket launcher down the hall earlier.

Sitting beside Cuios himself was a elegant woman he wouldn’t expect to be a soldier. She was a thin, wiry muscled figure, dressed in the standard Snow white, lavender fatigues associated with another P.D.F. regiment. They were pretty tight on her slender frame, hugging her deep curves. Slung over her shoulder was her favored las-gun.

Silky, lavender hair that would have spilled over her shoulders was pulled back into an arched pony tail. Two separate braids that hung from either side of her forehead flanked her sparkling, ocean blue eyes. She licked her dried, pursed lips in a vain attempt to moisturize them, a habit of hers.

Alina leaned forward in her seat with anticipation, tapping her foot impatiently as she awaited their arrival at the their destination. She was adventurous, and slightly brash, and quite gorgeous. She’d always get into confrontations with Malin when he was gazing at her. It was all in good humor though, they were best friends and good allies, though such relations had become strained in the past when Malin made a move.

She really kept to herself when it came to others not in her inner circle, which included the Sergeant as well. Consequently, he didn’t know much about her.

Cuios merely shrugged, his age worn eyes couldn’t make out the rest of the squad in the dim lighting. Not that he’d have time to after a voice spoke out.

“Emperor preserve us, a demon!?” Malin shouted a whisper, hastily forming the sign of the Aquila before resuming. “Are you sure, Sarge?”

“I’m not sure, but I know somebody ambushed us out here…I think it’s a cult.” Cuios responded grimly. “I couldn’t get a visual, but hopefully that won’t be the case this time around.”

“There won’t be a scrap left of them when all of this is said and done.” Freji chimed in. “Burn ‘em to hell!”

“And shoot them full of holes!” Malin agreed and they both nodded in unison.

“Bah!” Cuios retorted with a smirk. “You young ones today, runnin’ and lauding round with your guns and what not. Back in my day, we had nothing left to us but swords and shields to fight with. We fought our enemies blade against blade, shield against shield, brawn against brawn. Alas, good times those were, times of honor and valor.”

“Dear Emperor!” Alina rolled her eyes. “He’s reminiscing again.”

“Times haven’t changed so much, Sarge.” Malin protested. “Half the time, we’re still cleaving our foes asunder.”

“True.” Cuios responded blankly. “But the time of swords is fading none the less, at least here, in Hailadon.”

“Where’s Xain?” Alina blurted suddenly, just taking into account his absence.

“Getting into position.” Stated the squad superior with grim finality.

Old 20 Oct 2008, 15:57   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

~~~~~~~

The ten story office building of the Munitorium was nearly pitch black, save for the red lighting from the back-up generators that lit up the winding hall of cubicles. His feet stirred only the slightest thump as he raced through the winding halls, leaving the shattered glass littering the floor from where he had created his makeshift entrance in one of the first floor windows.

Hard thumps following hard on his heels reported the presence of another behind him. He paid it no heed though, knowing full well it was an ally. Together, both of them carried the enormous duffle bag that had to be larger than himself, and he was at least six feet. The weight of it was immense, though he knew it was light compared to some of the more heavy duty equipment. Even so, his breathing was labored, his face trickling with sweat.

One minute passed when they had finally found their target, the elevator. They sprinted toward it, setting down the duffle bag for a split second to press a sole button. A resounding ring echoed out and though he knew their was no risk of detection, he naturally flinched at the dead give away. Instantly recovering, he snatched up the duffle bag and, with another minute of readjusting, managed to fit the bag in place diagonally. He gestured for the second to enter the transport and when he did, he punched in their coordinates on the panel.

Five seconds of nothingness, only their hard breathing disturbed the unnerving silence. Then a sudden jerk upward before the elevator began its smooth ascent.

Xian, identical twin of Sergeant Cuios, though a good twenty years younger, sighed his relief as he heard the elevator music come online. He was dressed in the same fatigues, though he lacked the battle scars of his older brother. Though very lean, he possessed a muscular frame, slightly smaller than Cuios himself. He caught a figure gazing at him and turned to regard the trooper by his side.

Her long, Flowing, silky, jet black hair spilled down to her calves. Her creamy pale white skin as well as her finely proportioned, abnormally toned body was concealed under Jet-black flak-armor; the only set of the precious material Xian had ever laid eyes on. Her bangs fell right above her brows, exposing her wide, emerald green eyes. She unconsciously gnawed on her full lips in anticipation and he could see she was measuring him up.

Yiney Terra, maybe the finest sharp shooter in the squad, save for Xian himself, which was she was his spotter instead. Yiney was probably a good five years older than him, an elite solider you’d be hard pressed to find any where else. No, she didn’t know much about close quarters combat, but she was one of the platoon’s finest when it came to firing any infantry based weapon known to the guard…save for Xian. That fact alone had sparked her wrathful temper and when they had first met, she had scorned them with the hatred of a thousand suns. But over the courses of a few patrols, all of that seemed to fade all at once. What had been bitter insults were soon pretty personal questions to satiate her curiosity.

“What are you staring at?” Xian spat abruptly, failing utterly to suppress his annoyance.

Yiney saw this and she responded with a coy smile, talking in her soft spoken, naturally seductive voice. “Sorry, can’t just seem to take my eyes off you today.” At that, she batted her eyebrows.

Not expecting such a blunt, honest answer, Xian couldn’t help blushing; ruining the scowling look he was going for.

Yiney saw it despite the blood red lighting bathing the pair and her smile widened. She leaned her back against the elevator, hovering a playful hand over the “emergency stop” button and Xian glanced at her just in time to see her lick her lips at him.

“You’re such a damn tease.” He responded with a shrug, reverting his gaze away.

“What makes you think I’m teasing?” Yiney responded blankly, her expression easing into an inquisitive stare.

“Umm…” Xian blinked, furiously thinking as he thought up something randomly. “Cause we have a mission to carry out.”

“Oh, right.” Yiney sighed disappointedly, matching her expression as another ring rang out and the elevator grinded to halt. Not a second passed when the doors slid open silently, revealing a plain, flat rooftop that overlooked practically everything in the district. She stepped out first. “You’re a cherry, so easy to embarrass. Though I guess that kind of adds to the appeal you have.”

“Ch-cher-what!?” Xian gasped in disbelief, unbelieving that she had dared to say such. “Get back here and I’ll show you whose a ch-”

She popped her head back into the elevator. “Make your move then, there is nothing between us, but air and opportunity.”

Her expression was serious and Xian felt his muscles tense as she pierced his soul with a cold stare. Abruptly, Xian spun away, raising a hand and clearing his throat before muttering. “Help me get this bag out.”

Yiney smiled her triumph, grabbing the bag by the bottom end while Xian grabbed the top. It took a few minutes, but eventually they pulled it free and hurried toward the buildings edge.

Xian immediately felt his bowel rise as he overlooked the miles of roads and lesser buildings beneath his feet. But a glance for Yiney forced him to suppress such feelings and single out the operational area. A vast parking lot and a sea of grass that made up the Nace parkway, maybe half a mile off.

Yiney had already unzipped the duffle bag, grunting with effort as pulled the six foot sniper rifle free from the bag. Xian kneeled to help, grabbing the weapon as she pulled out its tripod. As she set it up, Xian looked over the weapon, the smooth texture of it, large scope upon it, the silencer modified onto it just for an occasion such as this.

“Do it!” Yiney urged and he snapped out of his reverie, attaching the cumbersome weapon to the tripod as Yiney pulled out her binoculars. Memorizing the layout of their route, her eyes followed Deyon Avenue till she spotted the lumbering machine occupying two of its four lanes. They were…

“They’re at the gates.” She stated blankly, glancing at Xian to see he was already prone and readjusting the scope. She followed suit and laid flat.

“Let’s do this…” Xian whispered to her.

~~~~~~~~~~

Old 30 Nov 2008, 01:23   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

~~~~~~~~~~
:Imperial translation:
Year-4058-Irothian Calender/date
Location-Melian, Irothis

There was a midnight breeze that whipped across his face; shifting through his long, flowing, midnight hair and causing his face to pale in its coolness.

It was truly a winter night this day. The warming smile of the sun had fallen, giving way to allow the ascension of a full, ethereal moon accompanied with a sweeping tide of stars. It peered through him, his heart, and his soul. What feeling was this?

It was a question he asked himself solemnly, whispering it bitterly within his mind as he continued to dwell deeply in his thoughts. It was a hallow feeling, that could never be filled, never be re-sown, never since that day had she had taken flight. He remembered…

“My love, my love… that shines like the brightest nova within the titanic ocean that is space… never could any other star hope to match… at least within the galaxy of my mind…”

A flurry of white powder had fallen from the sky last night, burying large patches of earth beneath a rugged sheet of pure, innocent snow. Such an event had never transpired since, and it was gradually fading away in such places, determined to reunite someway with the clouds above. It resembled so much, the ever flowing river that was time itself. He remembered…

“For what light can outclass that gentle smile? That greets these cold eyes so tenderly, that they would breathe a revival of warmth within them?”

His chambers was no humble dwelling. A slick, tile floor with a black-white checker design laid out to every corner. An oversized bed was placed to the far right, draped in white sheets of the softest silk. Thin, finely crafted columns lined the dome-shaped walls, that towered meters overhead to disappear in the gaping maw of darknessabove. Small, polished drawers of chest-nut laid by its side, occupied with a small clutter of papers and ink.

“My love, my love… we are the sunset in a sky of fluxing colors. Destined to inevitably fall beneath the horizon into utter darkness. Doomed to be separated in the passing of time. When we are… will you search for me? Would you… follow me across continents? Jasairis…”

Directly parallel with the double door entrance into his living space, stood a similar entrance of crystal clear glass, cast open to allow its master onto the stone carved balcony protruding from the rest of the Inn he temporarily resided in. Draping either side were crimson curtains of satin, fluttering lightly in the cold gust flooding freely through the breach.

There he was, leaning only slightly over the railing as he peered out into the night sky, into the snow shrouded forest isolating the humble city of Melian. It was but one of many. A city still living in the olden times. All the structures had been erected with stone and concrete, divided by a labyrinth of cobble stone roads. The street lamps and the occasional militia patrol were all that traversed these streets this time of night.

But Jasairis couldn’t bring himself to focus upon the sights of Melian, for his mind’s eye had fixated itself upon the memories of the past. Memories that, like a passing breeze, should have faded off into the distance, till it was too far to recall.

Eight years had changed him, he could not deny it. Eight years… only a spare drop in the vastness of time, yet through his eyes, it was an eternity. He had changed.

He was certain he had gain another foot in his final stages of growth, just over seven feet. His upper body was fully exposed to the shivering cold, revealing his heavily toned muscles compacted into a lean frame. His entire body was littered with a random array of varying scars, gradually acquired in his line of work. There was no pair of sunglasses to conceal the pair of burning, cherry blossom eyes -the eyes of Irothian- that lied beneath.

Jasairis sighed defeatedly beneath his breath, slumping his head into the palm of his left hand. He tried to ignore it, to put the events of the past behind, and so he did. Yet it was always there, this foreboding feeling that continued to cumulate over the years. His dreams were becoming more frequent, his instinct pitting him against his heart. The question was not that he had to do something, but it was he was to accomplish. Such decisions could be decided in the future, but now, he had finally came to his conclusion.

“Jasairis?” A quiet voice interrupted his thoughts. A voice that could only belong to a woman. Soft spoken, gentle, yet firm, authoritive, and racked with exhaustion from lack of sleep. “You’re not smoking again, I hope? Throne, you know I hate that.”

“Nahh…” Jasairis muttered dismissively, sparing a glance over his shoulder to see her emerge from the darkness of the chamber.

She was dressed in a glittering, satin robe of the blackest night, held in place only by a loose belt tied sloppily around her waist. She possessed an incredibly lithe frame, well toned and slender. She only came up to Jasairis’ chest when compared in height, but that was taller than most women. Draping most of her face was a shaggy, somewhat unkempt bowl of cherry red hair; nearly blending with her magenta colored eyes.

Niase unconsciously folded her arms against the icy touch of the nightly wind against her creamy skin. “Thinking again?” She asked knowingly with a half-hearted smirk, approaching him slowly till she was by his side; taking in the view of the outskirts and forest as she joined him. “It’s a beautiful night, eh?”

“Yeah…” Jasairis whispered breathlessly, uncertain in what else to say.

He couldn’t help but stare at her for a moment and she peered back with a blank expression. Not a second passed when her lips curled into a loving smile and she placed a hand on his shoulder. Things had changed.

“You shouldn’t dwell so much on the past, on things that can no longer be scathed by change.” Niase’s smile had faded in an instant, replaced with a depressed expression that caused him a surprising amount of concern. Instead she shifted her gaze back to the forest and sighed defeatedly. “We‘ll need to rise early tomorrow, Hailadon is a continent away, it‘ll take us weeks to arrive, even by Jul‘n.”

“Jul’n?” Jasairis questioned curiously, trying to remember the vaguely familiar word.

“Civilian transportation vehicles.” Niase smirked. “I’m not surprised you don’t remember it. It was only a few years ago that vehicles were strictly for military purposes, there are many who wouldn’t know it yet.”

Jasairis raised a pair of fingers to message his temple softly, groaning under his breath as he shifted his gaze toward the night sky. “Everything seems to be changing so fast, and yet, things have seemed to stagnate.”

Niase merely shrugged dismissively. “What can one do about such things? Truly, it would be best not to think upon it. Come back to bed.” She said blankly, slapping his shoulder lightly before spinning on her heel to vanish back into the darkness beyond the doorway.

“I need a cigar…” Jasairis muttered to himself as he followed suit.
~~~~~~~
Yeah, I realize that was kind of sort of short and ended abruptly, might go back and add to it, so keep your eyes peeled.

EDIT:Whoops, accidently left off a sentence describing Jasairis' eyes, just so y'all know.

Old 04 Dec 2008, 04:10   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

~~~~~~~
Imperial translation:
Year-4058-Irothian Calender/date
Location-Tyran, Hailadon

“Whoa! Damn, its pourin’ out here!” Malin yelled as he darted out of the fallen rampart into Telan avenue. He nearly recoiled from touch of it, the feeling reminding him of the fresh bite of an insect.

Luckily, he had actually remembered to grab a helmet on his way out and gratefully threw it over his head as he scanned the area. He forced himself to ignore the surrounding structures towering over him, instead he broke into a light jog in the midst of shadows pass the Chimera and toward the gated entrance into the Ulnen shipyards.

“This is it.” There was a deep, grim voiced behind him that declared solemnly. “This is one of those times… that defines a man.”

The corporal spared a curious glance over his shoulder to discover Cuios had followed him out, allowing the rain to soak him as he remained stationary in the middle of the road. “It’s frakkin’ storming out here!”

“Hah! Think they decided to call it a night?” Malin asked jokingly, digging his hand into his pockets for a few seconds before pulling out a key.

Cuios didn’t laugh, feeling his jaw tighten. “I don’t think so, son. That would mean we’re doing this for nothing.”

“Ya’ know, Sarge? I think we can really pull this off. If that’s any consolation to ya’.”

“You doubting the plan?” The officer uttered beneath his breath, almost in shock more than surprise. “It sounds solid to me.”

Malin grunted, the disbelief in his tone obvious. The private inserted the key into the gate lock before beginning to fiddle with it. “Yeah, well, if these guys are who you say, we’re basically screwed anyhow. They’ve been all over the place, we’re just another target to get hit ha-”

“Hey.” Cuios called out chastising. “I let you get by with your first remark, but I don’t want you dragging down morale now. You’re part of the team.”

“I’m with ya’, Sarge, I’m with ya’, just sayin’ it won’t be easy.”

“That’s why we’ve spent all this time making sure we get this right. We can’t let them the take the prototype, at all cost.”

Cuios just finished his sentence when a groan of rusting metal squealed out into the night. Malin kicked the gate door aside and watched it swing out of the way, opening a gap large enough for the chimera to drive through.

Malin sighed loudly before spinning on his heel, locking eyes with his commanding officer. The smile had faded, passed on to give birth to a unusually serious look.

“Let’s go.” The Corporal said before jogging into Ulnen.

Cuios watched him run off down the street before shifting his gaze back to the Chimera just when a distant shout rang out from afar.

“For the Empra’!”

The Sergeant couldn’t hold the grin welling on his face and he spared a moment to chuckle quietly to himself. This was it. He nodded knowingly. “Let’s go…” He whispered before breaking off into a light jog, turning to point into the driver’s windshield. “Let’s gooo!!!”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 04 Dec 2008, 04:12   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

“We’re closing in!!”

No one heard her over the sharp crack of thunder drowning out all sound.

It was raining, a sudden deluge poured from the blackest night as even the stars failed penetrate the screen of storm clouds. Even so, the rushing waters of the Halno bay glistened in the wake of incessant streaks of lighting. The waters were becoming fierce, hurling large waves against the expansive length of ferrocrete docks of the Ulnen Shipyards to break them against the impenetrable constructs of man. Halno roared forebodingly in the wake of the whipping gust descending upon it, kindling its fury against all who dared tread its realm.

The port was surprisingly vast, a string of dockyards stretching across the entirety of this minor coastline. Separating the them into three sections were gigantic port hangars. The sheer width of their iron-clad gateways stretched for hundreds of meters, and exposed the fact that at least one of them was hiding something quite large.

There were no ships to speak of anchored in Ulnen tonight, which wouldn’t surprise anyone considering the lock down Tyran was currently experiencing. Now, under the cover of darkness, the viper would stir from its nest once more to strike the unsuspecting prey. Now was the time.

“It‘s going to tip if we press onward!” The driver had to shout at the top of lungs to be heard over the deafening clash of waves, the relentless pouring of rain, the sharp bellows of thunder.

“Fool, you suggest we halt!? We’d be mad to reverse our course!” One of the women by the driver’s side scowled.

There they were, swiftly entering the bay with controlled speed, propelled to smash waves and tumultuous waters aside by their motorized engines. But with a storm like this, it was becoming increasingly difficult to navigate at all.

Their slender, fragile, lavender hulls swayed in sync with the violent rhythm of Halno, though still making steady progress to their intended target. Everyone was on edge after near tip-over.

The side walls were a good five feet in height, enough to completely conceal anyone who chose to kneel in their spot, but it was not enough to shield the interior from the rain or the occasional splash of water overtopping the roofless boat. From the rear, the blinding glare of the searchlight beamed across the seas, obliterating the shadows to forge a path for its vessel. It was barely enough to silhouette the twenty heavily armored figures occupying the available space.

“Hmmm…. I must admit, I cannot help staring at such a barren dock and wonder why such a prize seems so unguarded… Tyau, you are sure we have not been followed?”

They were all women, possessing supernatural beauty of those only fabled by the local populace of the smaller towns outside of Tyran. Myths only whispered near the forest wilderness of Miahan, an abandoned province bordering Hailadon.

Their teal blue armor varied from one to the other, all specifically designed to fit the proportions of their bearer. The Irothians had branded their invention Steel Flak, their most effective answer to the Imperial las-gun. The sleek plating was slightly thinner than usual, yet was much more durable when compared to its inferior counterpart; capable of absorbing numerous shots of the small arms fire of its caliber or below. Yet it was far from impenetrable. The large, black recesses beneath the chest plate, rounded shoulder pads, thigh, lower leg, and even knee padding exposed vulnerable weak points to be exploited.

The majority were also sporting advanced, stolen weaponry from Hailadon itself. A Quad-las-gun, or Q.L.G for short. Basically a longer, smaller, four barreled version of the las-gun.

“My squad had cleared the patrol in this area quite a few hours before the start of the operation, you need not worry about being exposed.”

Though she seemed calm, adrenaline was rushing through her veins, kindling the fire in her spirit, her soul. She relished the whipping gust howling her ears so deafeningly, the occasional splash of water dousing her in its icy touch, the wild maneuvers of the boat as it plowed forward with amazing speed.

Eight years had changed her, though barely in a physical way.

Her flowing hair, that fell to her knees no longer possessed its original tanned color, somehow evolving into a dull magenta. Though those same, cherry pink eyes peered from her fluttering bangs; from a beautiful face with only a trio of claw marks and minor scars crossing her face to expose her battle-hardened heart.

She refused to be hindered by the cumbersome, second skin of armor and opted to wear her traditional priestess robes instead. Consequently, they were soaked now, but she paid it no heed as she continued to listen in on the comm-chatter slowly resurrecting shortly after her words were spoken.

Iylia kept her expression impassive as she overlooked the entirety of Halno from the rear of the boat, just below the searchlight. Though her vision failed to pierce much of the darkness, she knew there were a dozen similar boats under her authority fanned out not too far from one another.

The proposed idea of slipping into the shipyard undetected by riding the storm had received a mixed reaction, but in the end, Iylia knew she had made the right decision in supporting Tyau’s plan. Even if the Imperials were aware, it seemed they hadn’t the resources required to challenge it. The only question wandering in her thoughts was which hangar housed their target.
~~~~~~
[glow=red,2,300]
EDIT:!!!! O.O O.o :P -_-[/glow]- Just so you all know, I'm modifying Chapter 1 so that it'll be Jasairis traveling solo and putting a bit more Action into it, just spent too much time describing the characters and it just seemed a bit boring, just so y'all know.

Old 12 Mar 2009, 03:04   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Eclipse: Crystalline Ocean

“You see anything!?” Private Borus’ features were close to indecipherable without the aid of the occasional flash of lightning, but Sergeant Tones could make out his voice quite clearly as he was nearly forced to scream to be heard over the tumultuous racket the storm was generating.

There were three walls of hastily erected sandbags stretched across the entire length of Port Hangar 2; the central hangar jutting from the shipyard’s heart. They were heavily segmented, divided up into smaller areas of cover in seemingly random places along the main road linking the entirety of the protruding docks from the rest of the facility. They were weathering the occasional wave hurled far enough to smash against it, spraying guardsmen on the front in a flurry of water.

Some were equipped with heavy weaponry emplacements: heavy bolters, rocket launchers, they had even managed to scavenge a few las-cannons. But all of them were manned with at least a combat squad of five soldiers from fourth platoon, they’re soaked fatigues exposing their ranks within the third P.D.F. Hailadon regiment.

The only sources of light even partially illuminating the docks were the scarce lamp-posts lining the edge of the dockyards. That and the dozen gigantic, blaring search lights the size of half a Chimera transport that had been set up in seemingly random areas of the sandbag walls; occupied with scouring the horizon of Halno Bay for any sign of contacts.

Only a few stragglers were left to scramble into position, everyone else was occupied checking available ammunition, making last minute adjustments, or waiting patiently behind their designated area. The wrath of a passing storm mirrored the atmosphere among them all: foreboding and intense.

“No, can‘t see a damn thing out here.” Tones of first squad stated coolly in his grim, monotone voice through a scowl. “The hell is Cuios? Supposed to have been here half an hour ago.”

“Down the road, sir!” Borus threw a thumb over his shoulder to emphasize his statement. He spared another glance passed the fortifications, easily spotting the blaring beam of a miniature searchlight exposing the presence of a speeding Chimera pulling into the rear of the fortifications.

Cuios sprinted down the road diverging from the entrance, forced to run at full speed to keep ahead of the chimera hard on his heels. He had drawn his las-gun earlier and held it tightly across his chest as they neared the docks: the operation point. They had spent nearly ten minutes of navigating narrow streets to eventually arrive at the defense. Malin had already beaten the squad to their post in the second line’s centre and was hastily working on setting up their rocket launcher.

“Alright, disembark!” Cuios yelled into his comm-link, waving dismissively for the vehicle to halt as he sprinted through the gaps within the trio of walls to first squads’ position. He failed to gain Tones’ attention as he suddenly pulled up by his side, heaving for breaths of misty cool air. “Am I late!?” Cuios shouted breathlessly.

“Hell no!” Tones bellowed scoldingly. He still peered through the binocular, pausing for a few seconds before grinning wildly; not that Cuios could tell in the darkness engulfing them. “You’re right on time, man; take a look!”

At that, the Sergeant suddenly pried the lenses from his eyes and blindly slammed it into his subordinate’s chest. “Let’s hope that’s all of them ahead.”

Cuios took the offered scopes calmly, but opted not to use them; already taking notice of the half a dozen, twinkling dots of light emerging into view off the horizon. He cast a partial glance at his superior. “Don’t worry, sir, I left Xian and Yiney a few blocks back to keep look out for any surprises.“ The Squad leader assured confidently, squinting into the bay as more flickered into view.

“Good decision.” Tones nodded his satisfaction, tilting his helmet slightly lower to keep the rain out his eyes; keeping his gaze fixed on the horizon ahead. “Too bad we can’t really utilize their full potential, wouldn‘t mind a crack shot every now-and-then.” He smiled half-heartedly and the trio of soldiers took a moment to share a light chuckle.

Save the sheer noise generated in nature’s rage, silence slowly befell the entirety of Port Hangar 2. Tones failed to look back to discover why, instead sighing dejectedly beneath his breath. “…We ready?”

Borus didn’t respond at first, occupied solely with relaying his superior’s question through the comm-link hidden in his right ear. Muttering some acknowledgement into the compact device, the private switched it off before answering. “Ready as we’ll ever be, sir.”

A sharp crack of thunder punctuated the end of his sentence and a moment of awkward silence descended upon the three.

Tones gently scrubbed his chin, nodding to himself before suddenly turning to regard the pair of men flanking him. “Alright, get to your squads, guardsmen.”

Both Cuios and Borus responded with a curt salute, spinning on their heels to jog back to their positions. The platoon sergeant watched them go, waiting till they merged into their ranks before shifting his gaze to the actual defense.

All had fallen into place. Every soldier in the entrenchments was standing at attention, las-rifle held tightly across their chest as they kneeled against the cover of their sandbag; peering into the swirling horizon that was Halno bay. The real storm had yet to come, but it was closing, rapidly.

The officer tapped his comm-link, immediately linking himself to every officer in his platoon. “All units, this is Sergeant Welson Tones. The time has come to prove ourselves as honorable warriors of the Emperor. I’m sure you all know there’s not much time to say anything else. Good luck.” With that, he ended his lack luster speech, switching the channel on his communication device to tap into the lines of the search light teams. “Hey, cut the lights!”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mine as well use this to give an update of my other topics:

-Kind of hit a writers block in AICoF, didn't like the way the last update ended, so I'll edit it and continue from there.

-Just about finished an update for Valkyries of Hinaria though, hopefully I'll get that up soon.

- Yeah, been awhile since I've updated anything, hopefully I'll get into a habit of writing more in the near future.