Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Writers block, can you help me?
Old 13 Apr 2007, 19:51   #1 (permalink)
General Stupidity

Default Writers block, can you help me?

Heya,

I'm trying to get started writing a story, but my mind doesn't seem to want to comply. I want to write a good story, but I can't get it right.

The story I want to do is about the Iron Warriors, but I just can't seem to get my brain into gear.

Can you help me? Have you got any useful techniques?
Old 13 Apr 2007, 19:59   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: Writers block, can you help me?

Read a lot of books?

And try to write as though you are the author of your favourite books.

Thats what I do when I write my snippets
Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Apr 2007, 20:45   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Dramnas sat quietly in his bunker. The sounds of shelling from the enemies' lines hadn't stopped in the three months that they had been there. In the almost near dawn, he could see the enemies lines with hundreds of artillery barrels up in the air. It was a surreal scene; every few minutes another shell would lob itself over the battlefield and down onto the citadel. Giving a silent prayer of thanks to the Emperor, he lit up a Loh and sat quietly, examining the battlefield. They hadn't moved, but thanks to the arcane technologies of the Mechanicus, neither had the walls. Whatever they were constructed of, they were impervious to the shells of those traitors. They still launched them, hoping for a lucky gust of wind to blow them over the walls and hit something (the only thing they had taken out was a small medicae base). Just then, an imposing figure walked in...
"Trooper." said the commissar. "What is the situation?"
"Sir," said Dramnas, "The same it's been for the last two months, Dace. They shell, and the AdMechs keep us alive. Another fugging stalemate."
The commissar sighed. "At least we are alive." he said as he walked out. "Yes. Alive and safe."

Until now...
[hr]

There ya go!
Tau Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Apr 2007, 00:48   #4 (permalink)
General Stupidity

I've tried writing a short 1000 word story, but the only problem is that I cannot include any action and violence.

You see I want some dialogue and such, but not too much. The same for the action and violence.

The name I have for the leader of the Iron Warriors is: Chaos Lieutenant Kregore.

And a possible name for the story would be: The siege of Dandaglalor VI

Damn! I hate this, any more advice?
Old 14 Apr 2007, 01:01   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I don't know about anyone else, but this works for me. If you don't have to get up in the morning, stay up really late till you're half-asleep. Then think about the story for a while and let things play out in your head, then write it down. Trick is not to fall asleep completely. It's like... controlled dreaming, if that makes sense.

Or if you don't have time for that, make a list of all the things you want to happen in the story. Then figure out how to connect them to one another and flesh out from there. It's hard, but once things get moving it becomes much easier.

Good luck.

-The Professor of all things Curly-
ProfessorCurly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Apr 2007, 16:00   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Start by developing the characters and say what you want them to do in the simplest amount of text.
Then add the verbs and text that says how they get there.
Then add the descriptors
Then add the detail
Then add the flair

Try that.
Old 14 Apr 2007, 18:26   #7 (permalink)
General Stupidity

Okay, here is the 'skeleton' of the story:

The planet Dandaglalor VI has been under Iron Warrior occupation for many years. The Iron Warriors raise a massive army from the populace, spanning into the millions. The Governor of the planet, Remik, decides that he will overthrow the Iron Warriors and take the the 'grand army' for his own uses. He attacks the Iron Warriors Warsmith, Lord Gannous, and kills him and most of his Chosen Marines.

Word gets out to Chaos Lieutenant Kregore, the second in command. His anger and frustration is at it's peak, so he summons his men and commands the Daemonic fleet master K'chayyn to bombard the planet. Anyway, whilst the planet is being vaporised, Kregore descends down to the planet via Dreadclaw Drop pod, with 100 Chaos Marines in tow and a number of Dreadnoughts.

The Governor is throwing a party to celebrate 'his' victory, but little does he know that the Ordo Hereticus has been watching him for months, and have summoned a crusade force to pry Dandaglalor VI from his hands, but as the Iron Warriors rain death on the planet, Inquisitor Lord Jumael Riiken realises he has little time, as he knows there was little stopping Kregore's wrath.

As Kregore and his Iron Warriors hit planetside, word of their return had spread quicker than their bombs, civil war and anarchy were rife. The Mutant horde who were now forced to live underground rebelled and joined Kregore and his Iron Warriors. Kregore and his ad hoc army crashed against Dandaglalor's capital city, Cronam and tear it apart. Eventually Kregore makes it to the Governments building, the House of Democracy, and set about slaughtering all of the politicians.

Kregore finally confronts Governor Remik, and subsequently takes Remik's head. Inquisitor Lord Riiken was to late, and the Imperial Crusade had just broke from warp and began descending to the planet, but little did they know that an Iron Warriors fleet lay in wait. The Imperial Crusade launches it's attack, and Kregore, as cunning as he was, rallied the last of the Dandaglalorian soldiers, and prepared an ambush. Totally unaware, thousands of Imperial Troops and dozens of armoured columns attack Cronam, only to find the bodies of the loyal citizens and soldiers, and before they could realise their terrible error, Kregore attacked and wiped the Imperials to the last man.

Now that the Crusade is in shambles, and the Iron Warriors are in the perfect position to finish the crusade, will Inquisitor Lord Riiken and his rag tag team of men be able to halt the Iron Warriors?
Old 14 Apr 2007, 18:47   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Sounds like a good start!
Old 17 Apr 2007, 01:55   #9 (permalink)
lonely tau

And now for the big question: Who do you want to win?

This will decide heroics, who dies when and how far apart the deaths are, etc.
Old 17 Apr 2007, 01:58   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Remember, heroics on both sides makes for a very good story.