Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Lost Ones, Collective Lost Astartes (Fluff background for Tau allied SM)
Closed Thread
Old 05 Dec 2004, 17:39   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113
Default Lost Ones, Collective Lost Astartes (Fluff background for Tau allied SM)

Commander Tydus Altair stared out over the assembled marines before him. This would be the greatest feat of the warriors younge life. He was not even a real officer but he was giveing orders and being followed in any case.

It had started when the Damocles Gulf Crusade had been ordered. Regiments of Imperial Guard, several chapters of Space Marines includeing the renown Grey Knights, Sisters of Battle, and even inquisitors had come together to strike out of imperial space to destroy an alien herisy that threatened to undermine the empire. Tydus and his battle brothers had come to the call. The fighting had been swift and victory seemed easily within grasp. That was untill the ambushes began. The Tau proved more formidable than even the darkest predictions had estimated. Much of the invasion fleet had been destroyed or damaged. Still the crusade had come close to the major Tau world of Dal'y'th. They couldent stop now. So the crusade launched an invasion with the space marines taking the fore. But in the catastrophic battles and the insuing chaos many brothers from multiple chapters had been seperated from their brethren. Tydus was one of these Lost Ones. They never knew the fighting had stopped or that the Imperials were fleeing until they gathered on the edge of the Tau city after days of wandering lost and alone to see the last of the ships jetting off into space. With no working comms or ships the marines had to watch as their hope of escape vanished into the distance.

But marines were no lost only on Dal'y'th. Many marines had been seperated on all the wolrds the crusade had touched. Tydus was stuck with the marines on Dal'y'th however and they all feared a quick annihilation from the Tau without even a chance to die fighting. But that never happened. A water cast member met the marines with a host of kroot and Tau. The Imperials had been wandering the ruined husks of the Tau buildings for a week already fighting skirmishes but they stood no chance against a full army. Instead of letting himself and his fellow marines be blasted into oblivion Altair stepped forward as the marines representative and he met with the Tau ambassador. Aparently marines on the other worlds had been showing stoic resistance and rather than see more bloodshed the Tau wanted a peacfull resolution. So in echange for the hospitality of the Tau Tydus would travel with a Shas'O named O'Shovah and speak with the issolated marines and work out peacfull sollutions with them. It worked. No less than 50 marines were assembled on Neo Terra a renamed Tau world on the edge of the Damocles Gulf. Now Tydus must gather the support of his brothers to found a new chapter independant of the Imperium for the glory of the emperor on his golden throne.

Again Tydus Altair swept his gaze over the rainbow of painted armor before him. Marines from every chapter imaginable were there. Ultramarines, Dark Angels, Space Wolves, Blood Angels, Imperial fists, Crimson fists, White Scars, Salamanders, Black Templars, Raven Guard, and even Blood Ravens. All singular men with an allegence only to their home chapter and the emperor. Tydus must change that.

"Brothers I come to you as the voice of the emperor. His most holy seated on the golden throne on sacred Terra. He fell before his light could reach the edges of the galaxy. But he has not failed. We will carry his light to all things." He said his voice ringing out to every corner of the grand hall. He paused to let the words sink in. "The lords of Terra with their corrupt minds plot and scheme to keep their coffers filled. The sects of the Imperium twist and befoul the emperors holy words to their own vices. But we are pure, We are stronge, We can see the light, WE ARE THE SPACE MARINES!" An almighty roar threatened to bring the structure crashing down as every marine regardless of chapter or blood howled the battle crie of the adeptus astartes.

"FOR THE EMPEROR!!!" Rang clear to all even leages away.

"Brothers I have seen these Tau. I have seen these Aliens that we were tought to despise. And I see that their ideals are our ideals. They work for the greater good. The greater good is the emperors light. They are not our enemies. The vile orcs, the dreaded Tyranids, the souless Necrons, the Wretched Dark Eldar, AND THE ACCURSED TRAITOR LEGIONS ARE OUR TRUE ENEMIES!!!" He continued his voice riseing in tone with every word.

"FOR THE EMPEROR!" Sounded again possibly even louder.

"The Eldar for all their arrogance, and the Tau for all their physical differences are not our enemies. We have stood alone for 10 millenia making little change. Yet in two these 'ALIENS' have risen from nothing to challenge even our might. We have found our equals. And we must aid them as they aid us. They deliver the light of the Emperor knowingly or not. They are ressistant to the taint of chaos and they are NOT OUR ENEMY!!"

Again "FOR THE EMPEROR!" shook the dust from the rafters of the great hall.

This time Tydus had to raise his hands for silence. "Come brothers let us join with these aliens and together we can purge the heretics and bring the emperors holy might and wrath to our real and most hated enemies. Let us start a new day and move forth as united brothers in the cause of the emperor. We are the Lost Ones but we have not failed. We will fight and we will win for THE EMPEROR!"

This time individual cries could not be heard as a collective roar of the battle cries of every chapter that could be found on any marine in the great hall split the air with its thunder. Tydus walked off of the raised podium a smile on his face. He had done it. The chapter would be born and together a new dawn would rise over the galaxy bringing the wrath of the emperor with it. He would take this fight to every heritic. Especially those most blasphemous of traitors on Holy Terra itself. The marine who only days ago had been nothing but an initiate would purge the empire and all of the galaxy of the emperors foes. Or he would die trying.
-------------------------------------------------------

Many years had passed, decades even. But now the chapter of the Lost Ones was complete. Now its battle brothers wore one color and showed one symbol. Many new warriors were present now. New recruits taken from the human colony founded on the chapters now established home world, Neo Terra. The chapters fortress was a work of art and a true masterpiece. It was built from crystal and rose into the sky scrapping the heavens. On its faces were inscribed the symbols of every space marine chapter represented by the origional marines of the Lost Ones. So much had happened. Many longe campaigns had gone by and now Tydus was a hardened veteran. Yet he remained firm in his belief in the Tau and the emperors light.

The chapter had changed much from that of its Imperial counterparts. It fielded many landspeeders and variants, by itself unusual for a normal chapter. It also fielded few chaplains as it had very few from the start and fewer now. But it did field many techmarines and apothacaries having access to Tau manufactureing facilities and healing methods more marines lived through their injuries and more hover engines were available. Tydus only lamented the rarety of heavy tanks. Predators and Rhinos were available and easily manufactured but the might of Landraider tanks and Terminator suits were very limited. So those the chapter did have were recovered even after destruction and repaired even from smokeing ruins. This was only possible thanks to Tau kor workers and scientists who were employed full time by the Lost Ones. Eldar from Ulthwe and Imperial Guard were also around the fortress from time to time. This region of Tau space had expanded quite abit. A lost Eldar expiditionary force had been found and had joined the Tau after long thought. Also armies of Imperial guard left from the Crusade or defactors from Imperial border colonies were also present. Lastly to the delight of the Lost Ones marines a whole chapter of fellow marines had joined the Tau. Also abandoned from the Damocles Crusade the other marines had opted to join the Tau.

But much was still to be done. The chapter was still small and lacked sufficient equipment. But soon. Soon they would move and destroy the Heretics. Altair did not know if this would be accomplished in his lifetime but he would set the wheels of fate in motion. That was a promise.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

OOC: Ok well I wrote that up on another Tau forum as background/fluff allowance for an SM chapter allied with the Tau. But I was wondering what ppl here have to say about it. So any comments?

Old 05 Dec 2004, 17:42   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer
Default Re: Lost Ones, Collective Lost Astartes (Fluff background for Tau allied SM)

Two points which require immeditate fixing:

1) You said Daemonhunters were sent against Tau in the Damocles Gulf Crusade. This is totally untrue.

2) The character seems to know about Daemonhunters, yet is still alive.

Also, Marines would not become "lost" as you suggest. Marines have powerful inter-person Comm systems which can interface with other troops, or even ships in orbit. Also, the Imperium would quickly recover any missing Astartes: Guard are expendable, Marines are not.

Let's see... there's some more to point out as well:

Marines would not surrender. They would gladly fight to the death.

You say 500 Marines were found by the Tau... impressive, as the total number of Marines in the Crusade was about 300...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 05 Dec 2004, 18:47   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Lost Ones, Collective Lost Astartes (Fluff background for Tau allied SM)

Ya it needs tweaking but it could happen. It was also supposed to be 50 but I accidently added another 0 so Ill fix that but marines are not perfect. They are not all fool hardy and totaly self destructive. That is just a generic trait they usually have but there are exeptions. Besides they would also see no point if they could not die fighting. Being destroyed in a hail of fire without being able to lift a finger is not really what they think about when fighting to the last. I dont know much about Daemonhunters I mearly wished to put in the possibility but I can always edite it. Still it could happen and I have seen other ppl use Tau allied space marines. If they can go to chaos why not Tau?

Old 05 Dec 2004, 19:30   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash113
Ya it needs tweaking but it could happen.
No it couldn't. Trust me on this.

Quote:
They are not all fool hardy and totaly self destructive. That is just a generic trait they usually have but there are exeptions. Besides they would also see no point if they could not die fighting. Being destroyed in a hail of fire without being able to lift a finger is not really what they think about when fighting to the last.
To a Marine, the most horrendous death imaginable is preferable to falling into xenos hands. Being self destructive, and dying in a glorious final charge, is what being a Marine is all about. Believe me, they could quite easily counter-assault Tau (remember that a Marine would easily break all world records for running, even when in full battle gear...). Whether they die or not doesn't matter, only that they die for the Emperor.

Yes, there are Traitors admittedly, but these would be an extreme minority. Even then, their comrades would normally wipe them out.

Quote:
I dont know much about Daemonhunters I mearly wished to put in the possibility but I can always edite it. Still it could happen and I have seen other ppl use Tau allied space marines. If they can go to chaos why not Tau?
Look, there is a big difference between what some newbie does in the store and what can be done in fluff. Fluffwise, anyone who so much at looks at a Daemonhunter will probably be executed by the Inquisition. Look at what happened with Armageddon: an entire populous was put into labour camps so they could never tell anyone else what they had seen.

Quote:
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 06 Dec 2004, 01:00   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

True True thats why I asked for comments its an evolutionary proccess. Oh and I know comrades would kill the traitors that is why it is a bunch of individuals and not whole units from a chapter. Under the circumstances any stronge leader would be believed. It is human mentality and thats been proven. So it is possible even in the minority the Imperium is vast and almost anything is possible if ya think about it.

Old 06 Dec 2004, 08:44   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Marines aren't human. Marines are extremely loyal, and it takes a great deal to actually corrupt one. The most likely is a massive exposure to Chaos, and even then it won't always work.

Quote:
Old 06 Dec 2004, 16:29   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

They may be super human but they are human. And you seem to be refering to them as a whole where as I am refering to individuals lost, alone, and unguided almost anything can happen to them. Their ideas, loyalties and anything else.

Old 06 Dec 2004, 23:00   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

Marines have their loyalty brainwashed into them. Hell, there is a suggestion that a Marine would die without regular hypno-psychotherapy, which only the Apothecaries can provide...

I won't say your ideas are impossible, but the execution isn't quite right. A better idea would be a renegade Marine band seeking shelter within the Tau empire, and in return for their aid, they agree to fight with them.

Quote:
Old 06 Dec 2004, 23:06   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Hmm perhaps but I had not wanted to have them all as a group to start cause that would seem more unlikely. With their chapter brothers around them it is group mentality and they would be far more likely to die fighting than to join the Tau. Hmm.

Old 06 Dec 2004, 23:12   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

Well getting a Marine force to turn in the first place is tricky, so saying they were rebels to begin with conveniently avoids that little minefield...

Quote:
Closed Thread