Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Is this a decent piece of fluff for an army or no?
Closed Thread
Old 18 Feb 2006, 19:29   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Is this a decent piece of fluff for an army or no?

When I originally started, I had several weird colors that I decided to go with (jungle green on my Crisis and broadside, spray paint yellow and green acrylic/latex mix (makes a dye wash) on my Fire warriors with white helmets, and finally brown and green Gue'vesa. Eventually, I picked out a real paint scheme of dark green, black, and white with a dozen fire warriors and a devilfish. My question is does the following sound feasible:

Following the Damocles Crusade, the Shas command was looking over its' list of casualties. A good deal of regiments had lost a good deal of men. Deciding that the best way to salvage the situation was to combine them, the 908th 'Shiningami' battalion was created. The title from several of the gue'vesa, who told stories of Gods of Death who reaped the battlefield and left only the most unfortunate to live out their days endlessly fighting. The Shas command decided that this would work until they could find a better solution. Unfortunately, before such a solution was found, the 908th was taken into a series of skirmishes with the forces of Chaos. After preforming superbly in the line of battle (true story actually Tau:3 Chaos:0, my friend isn't happy) Shas command decided that this would be an experiment to see how well remnants of units could live with other fractured units; since then, other fractured units have been thrown into the 908th, and its' ranks have swelled.
Besides this, the 908th is highly unusual; it features one of the few Gue'vesa'o field commanders: Garrick Meltren: Gue'vesa'O Yr'Y'He (Experienced Death). This unfortunate commander had the experience of being clipped in the field and having to watch the rest of his force being slaughtered. He has been haunted by the memories of his past soldiers that were slaughtered in the battle. He has been regarded as mentally unfit for battle, but the Shas command watches him to see the effects of command and trauma on a Gue'vesa.

So, what do you think? Would this be feasible, or no?
Old 18 Feb 2006, 19:53   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Is this a decent piece of fluff for an army or no?

Hi,

The background sounds interesting, but it is hard to tell whether it is a fitting background for your army list without seeing the list, could you add the list ?

Whether the background is ok, or whether it appears to have been made up to cover the fact that you have different units in different clour schemes would depend on the list.

I like the fluff of your commander (once he doesn't have any bodyguard in your army list), but I think it would be good if you also said something of the various elements of the army, eg. where did the fire warriors painted green/yellow with white helements come from and what happened to them, the same for the crisis & broadsides etc.

I know it would be hard to come up with a background that mentioned each of the elements of the army, while keeping the background succinct enough, but I believe that would be better.

Rathstar

View my 40k Blog at: http://rathstarramblings.blogspot.com/
Old 18 Feb 2006, 23:34   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tau Fanatic
Besides this, the 908th is highly unusual; it features one of the few Gue'vesa'o field commanders: Garrick Meltren: Shas'O Yr'Y'He (Experienced Death). This unfortunate commander had the experience of being clipped in the field and having to watch the rest of his force being slaughtered. He has been haunted by the memories of his past soldiers that were slaughtered in the battle. He has been regarded as mentally unfit for battle, but the Shas command watches him to see the effects of command and trauma on a Gue'vesa.

As a point of consistency, the highest rank among the human auxiliaries would still be Gue'vesa'o unless they actually inducted him into the Fire Caste, which there is no precedent for.
Old 19 Feb 2006, 00:11   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Thanks for the help. Considering that, I'll keep on going. I'll post the list soon, and re-post when the new codex comes out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathstar
I like the fluff of your commander (once he doesn't have any bodyguard in your army list)
Thank you much, I appreciate your compliments. Might it not sound better if he were to have a retinue of Tau who are under explicit orders to execute him if he shows any trace of rebellion/insanity?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khanaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tau Fanatic
Besides this, the 908th is highly unusual; it features one of the few Gue'vesa'o field commanders: Garrick Meltren: Shas'O Yr'Y'He (Experienced Death). This unfortunate commander had the experience of being clipped in the field and having to watch the rest of his force being slaughtered. He has been haunted by the memories of his past soldiers that were slaughtered in the battle. He has been regarded as mentally unfit for battle, but the Shas command watches him to see the effects of command and trauma on a Gue'vesa.

As a point of consistency, the highest rank among the human auxiliaries would still be Gue'vesa'o unless they actually inducted him into the Fire Caste, which there is no precedent for.
I'll correct that. Thank you for catching it.

Fire Warrior Team: Suam'Nan (Fire Sword)
Home World: Tash'Var

Cadre Suam'Nan originally consisted of 3 squads of pathfinders, 4 squads of Fire warriors (mounted in Fish), 2 squads of XV-15s and an Aun as commander. Being trained to the point of mastery in Jungle and Desert combat, the Suam'Nan were a force to be reckoned with in their territory. They were carving their way through a desert world known as 'Dry Gulp,' when they came upon several strange pyramids that they had never seen before. After getting confirmation from the Fio caste, a search team was sent down to investigate the ruins; they were accompanied by two cadres of fire warriors. Several hours later, a Fio'ui came back and requested help in moving a large object, he also requested that the rest of the force come: there had been several sightings of potential enemies. The Pathfinders began to sweep the area in increasing radius, exploring the ruins quickly and efficiently. The layout was simple: several entrances onto a black metal (that seemed to flow) platform with numerous ruins inside, and at the center was a large black pillar that rose into the sky. The XV-15s activated their stealth generators and set up base on the outside of the walls. after about an hour, they caught a radio transmission of an imperial armored division coming to the area. The fire warriors made defensive lines at the center of the base to defend against the coming attack. At 16:00 hrs local time, the Armored company was approximately a 1/2 hour away. The Fio scientists had finally deciphered several codes and entered them into the strange base's command platform; after the computer had stopped requesting data, the tower began to shake. Unbeknownest to the Fire Warriors, six doors on each of the twenty floors of the tower opened up and out came a Necron warrior.

The Fio'ui then came out to the Fire warriors, holding a large staff with an eerie glow emanating from it; on it was the stain of blue Tau blood. The Fio'ui then dashed forward and, with the grace of one who is not Tau, landed in the middle of the assembled Fire Warriors and struck the Aun with the staff. The Aun fell to the ground, blood leaking out and half of his body dissolved, the Devilfish began to fire their streams of plasma into the Fio'ui. The Fio fell and died on the spot. A squad of Fire warriors was sent to investigate what happened to the Fio'la. The squad found no trace of the Fio, only several stains of blue blood and the instruments the Fio had brought. A crashing noise brought them to look around themselves. They were surrounded by tall metallic men with large green guns; more were falling from the sky every second. The first of the Tau screamed as the Gauss ripped into them, ripping them apart, a noise that could be heard for a kilometer, which alerted the rest to the events unfolding. The XV-15s then reported worse news: the armored company was here and was rapidly deploying its' troops; already, the sounds of lasrifles could be heard throughout the ruin.

In a desperate bid to save as many of the fire warriors as possible, the commanding Shas'vre ordered all of the fire warriors to ride out at the first possible moment. It was at that time that the Necron warriors breached the inner wall where most of the Tau were stationed. The fallen Fio's body glowed with a sickly green light, and the true horror of the situation came to life as the Fio floated into the air. The flesh stripped away- revealing a metal frame that reached out to grab the glowing green staff. Most of the Tau were cut down in the next forty seconds. A devilfish and several Tau from different squads, however, managed to get out in time before the Necrons overtook the position.

Meanwhile, the pathfinders were in trouble, they were at a stand off with several Leman Russes. The pathfinders were able to escape most of the larger shots due to their speed, but they had not the firepower or the time to draw a bead on the Russes with the rail rifles. This quickly ended as soon as crackling green arcs of energy cut into their armor- completely annihilating them; the monoliths had arrived. The armored company began to engage the Necrons, with massive causalties on both sides. The outcome of the fight was never recorded, as the only remnants of Suam'Nan barely managed to escape the Wraiths and get to the Tau outpost- over twenty Terran kilometers away.

The remaining squad of Suam'Nan spent almost a year in recuperation, fighting their inner demons and learning how to deal with the incredible loss. Many times, they were transferred into other units, but the men of the other units reported many traits that disturbed the other warriors in the regiments. Several reports have reached commanders of blood rituals, corpse mutilation, and a generally hopeless atmosphere around them. They displayed a strange amount of devotion to each other that was unusual even for Tau. To some, it seemed to transcend Ta'lissera. The instances were well recorded; they seemed to work as a single hive mind- yelling unreasonable demands to the pilots of their Devilfish, pushing gunners of Hammerheads out- demanding that they could shoot better. It got to the point that the entire cadre tackled and beat a shas'El when he insulted one of their number. From that point on, they were sent to a penal area and used only for training new recruits.

They were later found by Shas'O Garrick while he was leading a training mission. They were deemed to be some of the most courageous fighters he had seen. When he mentioned this to them, their Shas'ui replied "Do not mistake bravery for devotion. Not one of us shall fall until all of us have fallen."

They were immediately transferred into the 908th Shiningami Corp under the orders of Shas'O Garrick, and have continued to fight in their death-like manner and state.
Closed Thread