Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

(APOC) Unique Characters
Old 24 Jun 2010, 00:21   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default (APOC) Unique Characters

Due to Apoc's "bring everything you own" attitude, could you include multiple of a Unique special character? Say, 10 Marneus Calgar's, as long as they were convertedto comply with Calgar's rules?
Old 24 Jun 2010, 00:29   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Unusualsuspect Send a message via MSN to Unusualsuspect
Default Re: (APOC) Unique Characters

Much like the "Unlimited range weapons should be treated as 72 inches" Apoc standard, "Only 1 of each unique character" is another suggested House Rule.

In other words, GW did what it does best... It shifts the onus of making balanced and/or fun rules on the players.
Old 24 Jun 2010, 00:31   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Location: That bitter taste in the back of your throat, the one kinda wrapped around your uvula that is all that's left of your Pride.

Well, yes, i suppose you could. Nothing stopping you from it. Would be a huge points drain though, and not "that" hard to kill off.

House rules aside, you can do what you like. I dont agree with the Unlimited weapons suddenly getting a range though. Why should my seekers suddenly run out of fuel because the battlefield is bigger?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shas'o Ahab
In parting, I've discovered why Farsight started his breakaway faction...
*Farsight looks at Dawn Blade* "Shiny..."*Farsight picks up Dawn Blade and looks around* "... let's be bad guys."
Quote:
Originally Posted by The man they call Waffles
Jayne you y'xa'uuk legend
The Man They Call Jayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jun 2010, 00:36   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Jayne, the 'unlimited = 72"' rule is largely to balance battlefield-wide effects like Inquisition Psychic Hoods. But in the end it's a house rule and not a requirement, but I think it's a good one that keeps certain characters and wargear from getting too out of hand on really massive boards - but let's face it, how often are we on a board bigger than 72" anyway?

As for unique, you're not obligated to run only one. But as usual Apocalypse is a community project and some players would rather House Rule it to limit you to one. I personally would rather only a single one unless you had good fluff reasons or countsas, such as a DiY army's countsas character fighting alongside the original, since I like my Apocalypse games to be fluffy.
Droids_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jun 2010, 22:27   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Rev_Enge(spc)

I dunno, I think it'd be pretty funny to see 10 Calgars on a battlefield.

"ULTRAMARINES! FOLLOW ME INTO BATTLE!"
"NO, follow ME!"
"Follow ME! I'M the Chapter Master!"
"YOU'RE AN IMPOSTER! BEHIND ME, MEN!"

"In war, laws are silent"
Rev_Enge(spc) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jun 2010, 10:45   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_Enge(spc)
I dunno, I think it'd be pretty funny to see 10 Calgars on a battlefield.

"ULTRAMARINES! FOLLOW ME INTO BATTLE!"
"NO, follow ME!"
"Follow ME! I'M the Chapter Master!"
"YOU'RE AN IMPOSTER! BEHIND ME, MEN!"
It's a trick by the Alpha Legion. They're all Alpharius.
Old 25 Jun 2010, 15:01   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

My group and my personal take on it is that Uniques should still be unique within a given player's army, but not across an entire side. For example, we've got 3 Kantor-based Space Marines in my group, and their lack of imagination not withstanding, they shouldn't get hosed on what army they want to play just because they're playing in a massive game with multiple players.
I can't believe games workshop are really that unorganised. The DE codex looks like it was made back in 1970 and yet they're more worried about making sure the space marines are walking around in diamond coated power armour and shooting tyranids with sequin covered bolters
Deris87 is offline   Reply With Quote