Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Mobile Area Denial Super Heavy Inflictor of Terror: Statting the CH Tau Walker
Old 15 Jun 2010, 03:06   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Unusualsuspect Send a message via MSN to Unusualsuspect
Default Mobile Area Denial Super Heavy Inflictor of Terror: Statting the CH Tau Walker

Hi! I'd like to refer everyone to this topic devoted to Chapterhouse Studio's new Super Heavy Tau Walker and its justifications (or lack thereof) for existence in the Tau Armory.

Though you can find it through the link in the OP of that topic, I should probably also link the suggested rules for their "'Man'o'War' Super-Heavy Assault Walker" (SAW? What an unimpressive name... MADSHIT is much more appropriate, don't you think?).

The problem with the suggested rules? They strike me as a bit over-complicated (Heavy Smart Missile rack with multiple firing modes AND limited ammunition? Too much bookkeeping), dangerously vague (there's more than 1 Apoc-sized blast marker, is there not? Are there 2 LB BCs or a single 6 shot "Heavy" BC?), and oddly-statted (Don't all walkers need Close-combat stats? What use is a Target Lock or Multi-tracker on a Super Heavy Walker? 8" for the Upgraded Disruption Pod? Invuln save? Hm.), and I think the collective forces of Tau Online can do much, much better.

Yes, I'm aware that almost every and their mother have made stats for a Tau Titan. I figured that, with this new model out, statting THIS particular model would be an interesting exercise!

A few things I'd like noted: I've never actually played an Apocalypse game, so my sense of 'balance' (HA!) is skewed. My thoughts on why MADSHIT seems vaguely reasonable in-fluff can be found on the "Tau Titan? sure, why not" thread I linked to earlier. Arguments about the fluffiness of MADSHIT are probably best placed in an extant thread devoted to it already, preferrably the aforementioned thread. In this thread, I'd like to focus on its stats and all they entail in-game: How should it be costed, is it trying to do too much, does it (or should it) leave itself a weakness, do the special rules make sense? Even if it wasn't fluffy, I'd still want to stat it out and I'd still love to field this thing: I'm not immune to wanting big, shiny toys, and while the aircraft are cool, so is this thing, and I wants it, my precioussssss.

Without further ado...

Mobile Area Denial Super Heavy Inflictor of Terror

[table][tr][td] [/td][td]Cost[/td][td]WS[/td][td]BS[/td][td]S[/td][td]Front[/td][td]Side[/td][td]Rear[/td][td]I[/td][td]A[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]MADSHIT [/td][td]Not Sure [/td][td]2[/td][td]3(4)[/td][td]8[/td][td]14[/td][td]13[/td][td]12[/td][td]1[/td][td]1[/td][/tr][/table]

Type: Super Heavy Walker

Structure Points: 3

Weapons and Equipment:
2 Railcannons
2 Long-barreled Burst Cannons
3 Heavy Smart Missile Systems
Tachyon Marker
4 Networked Markerlights
Blacksun Filter, Deflection Shield, Targeting Array

[table][tr][td]Weapon[/td][td]Range[/td][td]Str.[/td][td]AP[/td][td]Type[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Railcannon[/td][td]120"[/td][td]D[/td][td]1[/td][td]Heavy 1, Destroyer, Primary Weapon[/td][/tr]
[tr][td] - Submunitions[/td][td]120"[/td][td]7[/td][td]3[/td][td]Heavy 1, 10" Blast, Primary Weapon[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Heavy Smart Missile System[/td][td]48"[/td][td]8[/td][td]3[/td][td]Heavy 1, Smart*[/td][/tr]
[tr][td] - Airbursting Rounds[/td][td]48"[/td][td]4[/td][td]5[/td][td]Heavy 1, Barrage, 5" Blast**, Drone-Controlled***[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Tachyon Marker[/td][td]240"[/td][td]-[/td][td]-[/td][td]Heavy 1****[/td][/tr][/table]
*Uses the same rules concerning Line of Sight and Cover as the Smart Missile System.
**Cover saves may not be taken against wounds caused by Airbursting Rounds
***Airbursting Rounds may always subtract the Ballistic Skill of the firer, regardless of actual Line of Sight.
****In all ways except range, the Tachyon Marker works like a Networked Markerlight.

Options: Disruption Pod (How many points?), Flechette Discharger (How many points?)

Special Rules:

Deflection Shield: The MADSHIT's Deflection Shield gives it a 5+ invulnerable save against all ranged attacks. This increases to a 4+ invulnerable save against ranged attacks of the Ordinance type or that have the Destroyer (a.k.a. Titan-Killer) special rule.

Long-Range Fire Support: In addition to the normal uses for markerlight counters, you may also expend a markerlight counter to increase MADSHIT's Railcannon’s range by 50% for every counter expended. A maximum of 4 counters may be expended this way, providing the Railcannon triple its normal range.

Old 16 Jun 2010, 18:10   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Unusualsuspect Send a message via MSN to Unusualsuspect
Default Re: Mobile Area Denial Super Heavy Inflictor of Terror: Statting the CH Tau Walker

No thoughts shared at all? No constructive criticism? No blind rage at yet another "Tau Titan" thread? No comments on Chapterhouse's suggested rules and why they're better?

I know this is a slow board, but I kinda expected at least some response, even negative.
Old 16 Jun 2010, 19:09   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to big_ben100
Default Re: Mobile Area Denial Super Heavy Inflictor of Terror: Statting the CH Tau Walker

You now have a response! I don't really have much to critisisem it's written really well. Although i would set write 60" for the extra rang under "long range fire support" unless the effect stacks.

BB100 (V22)

The might of the Empire bears down on you...

Quote- Rafe: Thanks to the miracle of photoshop, there's more than her legs on the internet
big_ben100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jun 2010, 19:16   #4 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unusualsuspect
No thoughts shared at all? No constructive criticism? No blind rage at yet another "Tau Titan" thread? No comments on Chapterhouse's suggested rules and why they're better?
If you say so...

ZOMFGWTFBBQ! Another Tau Titan idea?! Phhftt....noobs! *lol* Tau r da sux! Lolololollololololololololol!
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jun 2010, 19:26   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyrie Two-Two
You now have a response! I don't really have much to critisisem it's written really well. Although i would set write 60" for the extra rang under "long range fire support" unless the effect stacks.

BB100 (V22)
The effect is intended to stack, hence the "A maximum of 4 counters may be expended this way, providing the Railcannon triple its normal range."

I'm also considering the possibility of different Primary weapons in the form of an a pair of not-yet-mentioned Heavy (or LB) Ion Cannon. In theory, both might benefit from the rule, which is intended to allow multiple MADSHIT to provide its Area Denial to where its needed, not the (comparatively paltry) 120" (whatever that is) range. I figure they would be placed fairly far away from each other, yet still capable of providing mutual support.

Zenai:

Much appreciated. ;D