Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

[APOC] um.. questions on player consensus.
Old 07 Jun 2010, 20:32   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default [APOC] um.. questions on player consensus.

Well, basically, My brother is a keen SM player for his age. as I myself am thinking of expanding into Apocalypse, I have been trying to put together a list
The main basis is that I am trying to create a themed blood Angles Thunderhawk drop army (off-topic I know, but are they really getting a new codex?I'm using the pdf one atm), my questions being:

I know that having a 3000 force of Titan's would be shunned by any reasonable player, but would they object to simply having 4 Thunderhawks raise the same kind of ill-feeling?

many players hate the type of biker army where everything comes in turn 2/3, would they object to having the majority (i.e. 3 squads of assault marines, lemartes and his honour guard) of the force sitting in strategic reserve
would deploying certain things such as a few devastators and terminus ultras be accepted/sensible?

Rather than fork out ungodly amounts, I am planning to scratch the thunderhawks based exactly on the dimensions of a thunderhawk my freind has. are scratches frowned upon as much as proxies generally are? do they particularly need to be high quality?

thank you for your time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by demitriusnassy
Haha ;D I am Bob, the devourer of Souls. ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man They Call Jayne
Turning the Power Matrix into some kind of Disco Ball of Death? :P
willwills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jun 2010, 20:36   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: [APOC] um.. questions on player consensus.

The blood angels have had a new codex for a while now!
Old 07 Jun 2010, 21:10   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

sorry, between GCSE's and a host of other trivial things I've been away from the news feed awhile. I only heard about spearhead an hour ago when I looked on the expansions page and saw the massive thread, followed up by looking around GW's website
Quote:
Quote:
Old 07 Jun 2010, 21:34   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by willwills
many players hate the type of biker army where everything comes in turn 2/3, would they object to having the majority (i.e. 3 squads of assault marines, lemartes and his honour guard) of the force sitting in strategic reserve
would deploying certain things such as a few devastators and terminus ultras be accepted/sensible?
To be frank, I'm not sure what you meant over there, maybe you should explain that in further detail.

In my opinion, with that kind of deployment, why not go for Planetstrike that has 3000 points instead or something? It sounds quite right up to what you're saying, 4 Blood Angels Thunderhawk dropping and swooping dreadnoughts and angels of death, that's quite fluffy and interesting match up. But provided if you have a fair force organization chart, it wouldn't be fair now if your enemy can't have 4 Land Raiders while you have 4 Thunderhawks.

You mention you'll play against your brother, is he the one with Blood Angels or you? And what about yours?

Considering it has alot of pointage, going turn 2/3 and waging war already isn't so bad, if you feel it's too soon, I think maybe expanding the battlefield sounds alright to keep things fair too.

2 cents given.
Old 08 Jun 2010, 17:20   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

You can't fit 4 Thunderhawks in 3000 points. They're almost a thousand each. I think if you scratch things, they don't have to be quite as good, but I think if the rest of your army is GW quality, they may ruin the army if they don't look good enough. if they're as detailed as Rhinos, it might take longer to finish them, but It will be worth it. It might help to use some GW parts in the build. Using Rhino hatches, maybe some Land Raider parts etc. would really help to tie them in with the rest of the army, though it would of course raise the cost. There was a datasheet in Liber Apocalypta Armageddonfor a Blood Angels Battle Company In Thunderhawks. I can't remember the exact special rules they get, and it might conflict with the broken new codex, but I'd still give it a look.
ultimatedragonlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Jun 2010, 19:47   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

what are they then.. damn, i knew it was to good to be true when my freind said they were 190...swine
ah, well, never mind.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 08 Jun 2010, 19:59   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Erm, I'm not entirely familiar with Space Marine points costs, (I personally refuse to play Spaz Marines) but they cost a Land Raider less than 1150 points. They are monsters though, and they can get SD if you pay a few more points, as well as a ton of heavy Boltes and some Lascannons, IIRC. It carries as much as 3 Drop Pods, including with Dreads. I can carry Jump infantry, but they take up the same nurmber of spaces as terminators in the vehicle. It can carry bikes, but if I'm not sure now many spaces they take. IIRC, it's half as many as a Dread each.
Btw, 3 Furisos with Blood Talons in a T-hawk is very cheesy, please don't do it.
Edit: Oh, and it shares a special rule with the Land Raider pertaining to assaulting. That is why the above is cheesy.
Old 08 Jun 2010, 20:06   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

You're probably getting the Thunderhawk confused with the Stormraven, which is a new vehicle in the Blood Angels codex. It's close to the points cost you're describing and not a super-heavy flyer, but a skimmer. :P
Droids_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Jun 2010, 20:15   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

I take it you mean him, not me lol. 900 Point Stormraven would be fail, even if it had strength D.
I've been lucky enough not to play the Spud Angels yet, but it's good to know the Stormraven is expensive. will make it sweeter when it get's Hydra'd