Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

[PS] Tau vs Chaos Planetstrike
Old 19 Aug 2009, 21:26   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to LordZanuu
Default [PS] Tau vs Chaos Planetstrike

Hiya

I've played a few planetstrike games recently, against my friend's Chaos army, and I can't seem to win!
I've lost 4 games in a row, which has almost doubled my total number of losses!

I think my main problem is his terminators, of which he has 20.
Apparently they can be upgraded to have 6 power weapons attacks each on the charge, which I find staggering, and extremely overpowered.

What are some good tactics to use against Chaos in Planetstrike? Good Stratagems? Tactics? What are the best counters for Terminators?

I have a Hybrid army, not too big, not too small, about 2000 points.

Another thing, if a model with chainfists charges a building, do they get the normal number of attacks? As a unit of 10 terminators - 5 with chainfists - charged one of my bastions, and took it down before the second model had made his attacks.
Personally, I think this is wrong, but we didn't have a rulebook on us (Naughty, I know).

Sorry if this is on the wrong board, if it should be under Chaos or General 40k, then please can it be moved.

Thanks

- LordZanuu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapter Master Seth
you can never go wrong with a little promethium.
Your resident MathHammerererer-er.
LordZanuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Aug 2009, 21:40   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Tau vs Chaos Planetstrike

hmm, tbh, i've not played planetstrike before, but i can have a go at helping you...

i know this sounds obvious, but have you tried plasma rifles against the termies, also, which do you usually play attackin or defendin?
Old 19 Aug 2009, 22:00   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Try a DS Helios attack, depending on the points or location.

Heck, try the Helios (PR, FB, MT suits) at range since the Termies are obviously not packing ranged weapons (2 base attacks, has to have dual LC's to get extra attack, upgrade to a chosen or some other thing for an extra attack, Khorne banner, and the charge for the 6 power weapon attacks).

Snipe at them with helios suits at range with the PR's since their invulnerable save won't be to good. Basic Firewarriors do okay against these guys as well if you can spare the firepower. Once you whittle them down to a decent strength go in close for the kill.

If you don't have the time or resources to whittle them down slowly, think about supporting the troops with a few throw-away units that can be used to either jump behind (kroot are cheap enough and with hounds might kill one or two) or possible gun drones to create multiple waves of jumping, ablative, armor.

Good luck! ;D

P.S. Don't worry about a couple of losses. It happens. In fact, I'd recommend NOT keeping track of any hard numbers and just enjoy the knowledge in a broad sense "I win more than I lose." sort of thing. It makes you feel better about some minor losses and others won't see you as a pompous git if you win. Mainly because, even if you did win with top sportsmanship in mind, some players are all too willing to complain if you casually drop or mention your game tally.

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Aug 2009, 23:52   #4 (permalink)
Nox
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordZanuu
Apparently they can be upgraded to have 6 power weapons attacks each on the charge, which I find staggering, and extremely overpowered.

Another thing, if a model with chainfists charges a building, do they get the normal number of attacks? As a unit of 10 terminators - 5 with chainfists - charged one of my bastions, and took it down before the second model had made his attacks.
Personally, I think this is wrong, but we didn't have a rulebook on us (Naughty, I know).
A Chainfist wielding Termi with the Mark of Khorne should get 4 attacks on the charge unless itís a Champion - Champions get 5. The Chainfist allows the wielder to make Str + 2d6 armor penetration rolls, so yes it will cut through a bastion in no time flat.

Termis with a pair of Lighning Claws and the Mark should get 5 attacks on the charge and 6 for a Champion but donít have the Str to damage the bastion.
Nox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Aug 2009, 00:00   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I have done a couple planet stirkes agasit chaos, I recommend Turreted Stronghold, and obstacles stratagems. The turreted stronghold allows you to kill whole sqauds of marines in single shots but terms still get their armour saves. An obstacle stratagem has worked wonderfull when terms went into the ones that cause dangrous terrain in slows them down and if they roll 1s then they don't get their armour saves and they have to use their less uesfull invulnable saves.
Zaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Aug 2009, 00:15   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Turrets are a good idea. Another good thing is broadsides
the can ignore that 2+ save that everybody hates. But wait, 20 terminaters
thats a big chunk of a 2000 point battle ???

help my buddy
munky42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Aug 2009, 00:46   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nox
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordZanuu

A Chainfist wielding Termi with the Mark of Khorne should get 4 attacks on the charge unless itís the Champion - he gets 5. The Chainfist allows the wielder to make Str + 2d6 armor penetration rolls, so yes it will cut through a bastion in no time flat.

Termis with a pair of Lighning Claws and the Mark should get 5 attacks on the charge and 6 for the Champion but donít have the Str to damage the bastion.
As I understood it, all Terminators can get upgraded to champions.
[img width=650 height=74]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x38/Majonga/sig.jpg[/img]
majonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Aug 2009, 01:21   #8 (permalink)
Nox
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonga Khan
As I understood it, all Terminators can get upgraded to champions.
You're right Jonga, they can all be upgraded to Champions. Sorry, my last post was top of the head stuff.

Those are massively expensive units though - somewhere in the 500 to 600 point range for 10. He has to have spent half his points on the termies.
Nox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Aug 2009, 12:09   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: [PS] Tau vs Chaos Planetstrike

If he spends that many points on one unit, aren't there stratagems that let you force your opponent to deploy one unit somewhere else?
dunehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Aug 2009, 03:00   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: [PS] Tau vs Chaos Planetstrike

Alright if you are defending, just have one objective. Why? well most defender stratagems are only one and are good, while attackers only have 3 choices (+ possibly a racial) and thats it. Their three choices are: night fight, night fight, and lame "deathstorm". Meanwhile you choose a nasty obstacle strat, because with only one bastion, you'd better believe he's going to destroy it. In your case, I suggest Las-Maze because it's most effective against termies. Remember, each line is six inches long which means that you can completely suround the bastion (probably) and then lay down a six inch line directly out from your first loop and start making a second loop around.

Only put down one unit, inside the bastion. It you can get something with a good cover save into dense terrain you might choose to deploy it, but honestly you're probably better off in reserve. Firestorm does about jack diddily because it's only target is a bastion. He then takes his first turn, charging through las-traps, destroys the bastion, and then has to move back out through the las-traps. He can't do anything else really. You then go and bring in most of your force and shoot the crap out of most of his force, stealing the initiative out from under him.

As an attacker, it's a bit harder to plan because you don't know what stratagems to plan for. Also what both you and your opponate have becomes alot more important as an attacker. As such I can't comment unless I know more.
1. Do you intend to win even if it might take the fun of the game away from either yourself or your opponent?

If you answered yes to question 1, you are in fact a power gamer, and your list is probably either beardy or you can abuse the rules to make it such.
Tech-Commander Archive is offline   Reply With Quote