Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Planetstrike : First Impressions
Old 19 Jun 2009, 02:04   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to ScreamerKiller
Default Planetstrike : First Impressions

So, my FLGS got a copy of Planetstrike early, and left it up to me and a few friends to give 'er a go with a few test games and give him an idea of how it plays.

Whilst my friend has had a few games in, I had my first go today as a defender.

What's really cool about Planetstrike, is being the defender, I set up the entire terrain. So, I set up a small fortification in the middle, with a couple of buildings and a small trenchline, after reading that the attacker may come in from any table edge he chooses. I told him there were two objectives, and we chose our strategems. I chose one that gave one of my buildings a battle cannon, and he had one that four planes fell from the sky, with some pretty powerful effect.

So, before the game began, the attacker gets a really cool thing called a firestorm. This means the attacker gets D6 + the number of objectives S9 AP3 large blasts before he even comes in. He rolls a five, to a total of 7 firestorms(!!!) raining upon me before the game began.He did quite a bit of damage, wiping out half my Thousand sons in a single go!

So, he gets his first turn. He deploys his strategem, which unfortunately did not do too much, as 3D6 scatter is pretty inaccurate (like he needed the extra damage after laying waste to my defenses). Damage ensues. We trudge through a bloody game, me barely pulling a victory thanks to Abbadon being the beast he is.

But on the main topic, I honestly believe that Planetstrike is much, much of an improvement over the previous expansion Apocalypse. The scenarios (although I haven't read all of them) are pretty epic. One, specifically, is literally the The Battle of Iwo Jima in space. The objective is to get your flag to the enemy base, raising it in glory to mark the turning of the war.

The new thing as well; Strategems, is pretty awesome over the Strategic points used in Apocalypse. You get a number of Strategem points equal to the objectives in a game, which can be spent on a variety of little perks you get, which can be helpful (Las-Traps, forcefields) to downright nasty (Dark Eldar get a special one that all defenders get -1 leadership equal to the turn they are on. turn one, -1LD, turn 2 -2, etc, to a disgusting -5 LD on turn five and beyond!)

Long story short, I totally approve of this, it's a fantastic expansion filled with tremendous new ways to play the game, although in my first game, it tends to cater to the attacker slightly, but, this expansion seems to be for a campaign-style series, so I'll see how the rest fare out before being solid on that opinion.

Some other nifty things about Planetstrike:
The attack always gets first, and deploys everything in reserves. But, your first turn reserve roll is 3+.
Monsters, Jetpacks, Jetbikes and a couple other similar classes can deep strike no matter what, and all deepstriking units can assault the turn they come in

You can have as many or little objectives as you want being the defender, as well as you can deploy just about anywhere it seems.

There are automated weapons that allow you to shoot on your opponents turn

Some armies have Stratagems specific to them. Tau have a giant markerlight that gives everyone on foot +1 BS, while reducing automated weapons to BS1. Or the eldar one where you roll all reserves at once, then allocate the results to units you want. AKA you roll a 5, a 3, and a 1. You can allocate the 1 to say, the Guardians, the 5 to the Wraithlord, and the 3 to the Seer council, or maybe the 1 to the wraithlord, the 3 to the Guardians and the 5 to the Seers. Another Strategem is whenever an Ork attacker blows up a building, they get to WAAGH for free next turn! Everyone gets some pretty awesome strategems at their disposal.

any other questions you can just ask, and I'll answer at the best of my abilities.

-Edited to removed all caps in title, FKE
Old 19 Jun 2009, 02:47   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: PLANETSTRIKE: FIRST IMPRESSIONS

At present I have one question: Is the game viable at low point levels, say 1000 to 1500? I love the theme of Planetstrike and I would be incredibly hyped over it, but considering the levels my usual group plays with it seems like something I should hold off on buying (especially with so many large blasts flying down at the beginning).
Atticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jun 2009, 03:06   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

We played a 1500 point game, and ran really smoothly. I can see this working fantastically at even 500pts, as long as you don't take like 5 objectives or something big like that.
Old 20 Jun 2009, 16:49   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

How balanced is the "assualt when you deep-strike" rule?
To me it seems a bit unfair when you consider there will be a lot of units that would normally get to shoot at these advancing units but don't. This could mean almost guaranteed losses for Tau (who lack the close-combat punch) when they have mobs of orks deep-striking then assualting straight away. IS this rule even real or am i just making it up? :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piedmon
Phwoar.
manic-swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jun 2009, 16:52   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by manic-swede
How balanced is the "assualt when you deep-strike" rule?
To me it seems a bit unfair when you consider there will be a lot of units that would normally get to shoot at these advancing units but don't. This could mean almost guaranteed losses for Tau (who lack the close-combat punch) when they have mobs of orks deep-striking then assualting straight away. IS this rule even real or am i just making it up? :P
The only models who can assault after deep strike seem to be ones who already have the Deep Strike special rule. Ergo the only things in the Ork army list that can would be Stormboyz (who have a special character option allowing them to do just that in normal games).

The other thing you have to recall is that attempting to Deep Strike within 6" of an enemy is a very risky business most of the time. That, more than anything else, will likely be the balancing factor in games.
[hr]
Masked Thespian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jun 2009, 18:24   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to HijiriOni Send a message via MSN to HijiriOni Send a message via Yahoo to HijiriOni

That's why I never saw a point to it, deep striking means you have to come down, wait a turn, then assault...can't deep strike in turn 1, luck gets them in on turn 2, and turn 3 you assault.
Most assault squads have the mobility to assault in turn 2 practically, and definitely in turn 3 on "standard sized" game boards.
I haven't seen a justification for even using deep strike cause of this, as well as deep strike mishaps.
Getting a unit within 6 inches of an enemy unit without a mishap is extremely impressive...having them sit there and get shot at isn't.

Only real reason behind deepstrike i've found in most scenarios is preventing certain units from getting shot at...course while they aren't on the table they aren't contributing to the battle, and everything else you have gets shot at.

Only army I've seen that truly can use deep strike tactics effectively "without" drop pods is tau.
Old 20 Jun 2009, 18:40   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

I've thought of a slight flaw with Daemons being the defenders- they always deep strike so the attackers will arrive on the board before the defenders all of the time (if you understand what i mean)
jimmy_mymail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jun 2009, 18:43   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Sorck
I've thought of a slight flaw with Daemons being the defenders- they always deep strike so the attackers will arrive on the board before the defenders all of the time (if you understand what i mean)
Wait, so daemons usaully DS, so that means that everything in their army can the turn it arrives
Old 20 Jun 2009, 18:54   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Daemonic Assault is a rule that all daemons have, it forces your army to stay in reserve. 50% arrives by deep strike in turn 1 whilst the rest comes on like normal deep-striking reserves.

I would assume that daemons have their own special section in Planetsrike which probably either stops them from DS if they're defenders or it forces them to be attackers.
jimmy_mymail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jun 2009, 21:41   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

The only issue with the Assaulting the turn you come in, is only a certain amount can deepstrike that hasn't been able to beforehand (Monsters). Assaulting the turn you come in can be seen as a risk/reward thing. You are rewarded for taking risks and bringing in your troops within charging range of an enemy.