Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Whats Wrong with Apocalypse?
Old 05 Feb 2009, 15:29   #11 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer
Default Re: Whats Wrong with Apocalypse?

They should have stuck with the rumour that went around saying all weapons Str 7+ ignore saves.

That way, you speed up the game (models removed more often), and you also force Marine players to actually use Cover for a change, not just march 400 Space Marines up open ground.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Feb 2009, 15:52   #12 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droofus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe
Quote:
The problem I have with it is that they made no effort to streamline gameplay
Yeah they did, they gave the world and 'is wife massive blast S D weapons that just kill anything they touch, thus making troops suicide units :
You must play against a lot of titans. The only "D" weapons I've come across are either linebreaker squadrons (which can be neutralized pretty easily) or those damn daemon shells (which are one shot only and can seriously backfire).
Then you're not playing Apocalypse, you're playing 40k without Force Organisation, which is even more retarded than Apocalypse.
How, pray tell, did you draw that conclusion?

@Everyone else:

I'm really just hearing marine-hate, not apocalypse hate. Maybe if you just excluded marines from your apocalypse games you'd enjoy it more.
Droofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Feb 2009, 15:58   #13 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Circus Freak

Because no Titans or Superheavies means not Apocalypse.
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Circus Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Feb 2009, 16:01   #14 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circus
Because no Titans or Superheavies means not Apocalypse.
I didn't say "no superheavies" I said "no titans". We regularly run baneblades and variants. There was even a nurgle plague tower that used to make regular appearances. Stompas and shadowswords and their respective variants will probably show up once they're released in plastic.

Strength D seems to be mostly concentrated in the warlord/reaver/warhound/revenants of the world.
Droofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Feb 2009, 16:54   #15 (permalink)
Dragonshaman27

I love apocalyspe battles too I just find with too many people 2 one table the game takes too long to enjoy!
Old 06 Feb 2009, 02:48   #16 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

we really love apoc in our area.

we play with all normal apoc rules with one exception. We have no minimum points limit, we've played 500pnt apoc games, commanly we play 1500pnt apoc games, with all the rules and such associated with apoc, time limits, assets, everything, it's a lot of fun.
Blindmage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Feb 2009, 19:29   #17 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via Yahoo to Mana-Valkyrie

The biggest issue I have seen with Apoc is the lack of structure and organisation, the rules are over simplified in some areas and weapons are over-powered in other areas. The way it seems to playout is ... lets put lots of vehicles and superheavies on the battlefield and see how long they last.

The very large blast templates if thought about do scale up from epic, in that if you did damage to an infantry formation with heavy weaponry (i.e. dropped a barrage on them, then you would get a hefty casulty bill). However that said Apoc is in effect using 40k scale models to play a very poor version of Epic (And Costs a whole load more than epic scale).

In Epic, infantry units/formations could be useful against other units depending on how they were utilised. However in Apoc most of the time all i see them used as is cannon foder and not particularly good fodder.

Cheers,
Valkyrie
Mana-Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Feb 2009, 20:11   #18 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Sidstyler Send a message via MSN to Sidstyler

The only good thing about Apocalypse is the stompa kit, in my opinion.

Everything else, well...like everyone said before me. Plus, it's a pain in the ass just carrying around all my crap to a real game, there's no way in hell I'm lugging my entire expensive model collection (and $500+ Forge World titans? Yeah, let's let the unsupervised store kid play with that, what could happen?) to the store for a 27 hour game, which consists of me watching all my troops and tanks be blown off the table by one overpowered ****ing bullshit superheavy.

Warhams is serious business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard
Knowing the rules is not WAAC. Bringing tough lists is not WAAC. Acting within the scope of the rules is not WAAC.
Sidstyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Feb 2009, 20:44   #19 (permalink)
Shas'La

The reason given to me by my corporate contacts on why Apocalypse (We call it A-taco-lypse) was created was:

1. To sell all models that were in back stock that was not moving through normal commercial channels. That why you got steep discounts on bulk items.

2. Too sell those Expensive Forge World items. You now have a game to play with it. In 40K you had to get permission to play with your forge world.

The game mechanics in my opinion just Sucks. Mana-Valkyrie stated all that is wrong with the game. It looked like a rush job to get the rules out. Epic 40K was so much better in running incredibly large armies.

But Epic 40K does not deal with the past back stock problems that was happening from 07 and back. Because of A-taco-lapse, that problem was solved.
Old 07 Feb 2009, 13:02   #20 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I think this quote from WD sums it all up
"Don't get my wrong. Army lists are a wonderful thing, allowing players to play fair and balanced games."

Yes so you remove the structure that gives you fair and balanced games, so your left with unfair and unbalanced games. Doesnt sound like too much fun does it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piedmon
Phwoar.
manic-swede is offline   Reply With Quote