Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Whats Wrong with Apocalypse?
Old 27 Mar 2009, 11:49   #101 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Whats Wrong with Apocalypse?

Neat idea, but I think it would come down to one simple rule of "don't play apocalypse with a bunch of idiots". While it helps to have somebody in charge organizing things ahead of time (setting up teams, point values, and schedules), it really comes down to who you play with. If all parties are experienced players that know the rules, unit stats (or at least their own), and strategic assets; and are able to play the game without antagonizing anybody else involved, you might have a good time. It's not about strategy, though. If you want to play a well-balanced, game of strategy then just play normal 40k. Apocalypse is all about putting a disgusting amount of firepower on a giant table just to see what happens. (That's why I'm not a big fan of it.)
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Mar 2009, 13:30   #102 (permalink)
Shas'El

Hmmm. I guess you're right. I'm still going to play Apoc, only with special rules about "detatchments" and super-heavy allowance.

Something like...

Detatchment size 1500-2000pts
One super-heavy OR strategic asset may be taken for each detatchment after the first
Superheavies total your median detatchment size (so with 2000pt detatchemnts, you could have one warhound and one reaver)

[I do not wish this account to be deleted, but I will no longer be posting much]

03/Feb/13
FrisbeeForLunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Mar 2009, 13:04   #103 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I remember being interested when I heard about Apocalypse being released. I was also a bit confused because I couldn't really think how different the rules would be from normal 40k rules ( 4th edition back then).

From what I've read the apocalypse rules don't seem to speed up the game, jst provide guidelines on using titans etc. So I think that the problem that most people have is that the rules aren't comprehensive enough and even, in some cases, make the game worse. Plus WD magazine seems to have become utterly obsessed with apocalypse and in battle reports assumes everyone plays apocalyse all the time and knows what they are talking about.

Pleases delete this account, I apologise for any upset caused by the actions of my brother - sorry.

Please delete, thanks!
pulse-carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Mar 2009, 14:48   #104 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Apoc should be played on the clock - you get only so long to move, shoot, etc. Obviously, you get extensions if your enemy is being a dick and rolling all his saves seriously slow and the like, or if someone queries something, but if you played on the clock you'd have to hurry your ass up, and that would make the game go faster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Mar 2009, 15:21   #105 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Circus Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
Apoc should be played on the clock - you get only so long to move, shoot, etc. Obviously, you get extensions if your enemy is being a dick and rolling all his saves seriously slow and the like, or if someone queries something, but if you played on the clock you'd have to hurry your D'yi up, and that would make the game go faster.
Yeah, when I ran an Apocalypse game in my local store at the request of the manager (they were severely understaffed, one of the biggest stores in the UK with only two staff on a Saturday...) I did it like that. The kids didn't always like it.

"You've got two minutes for your assault phase from now!"

"What? That's not enough time!"

"One minute forty five."

*Rolls dice like a madman*

It worked, it was one of the few games they actually finished.
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Circus Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Mar 2009, 15:25   #106 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

They have to do that at my local store, I swear they take time off when it's my turn -.-
mamba21500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Mar 2009, 15:25   #107 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Time limits are some of the things that should have been included in the original rules - we shouldn't have to make important things like that up ourselves.

Pleases delete this account, I apologise for any upset caused by the actions of my brother - sorry.

Please delete, thanks!
Old 28 Mar 2009, 15:32   #108 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Circus Freak

For the same effect we have, all we needed for Apocalypse was a web release saying:

It's OK to play huge games, you know?
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Circus Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Mar 2009, 18:50   #109 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Yeah - I never understood the fuss evryone in GW was making. We're we not allowed to play big games before?

Please delete, thanks!
Old 29 Mar 2009, 00:08   #110 (permalink)
Shas'La

I think a lot of problem stems from the fact the gw design steam are incapble of accpeting anything that forgeworld makes before either 1. making a plastic kit for it that looks terrible or 2. re writing the originally fair rules so they are broken and annoying. Whats that? titan killing? bah, have this stupid destroyer rule. Whats this madness about having to take a foc to use a baneblade? Lets just change forgeworlds decent rules so we can sell loads of 60 odd baneblades to kids with disposable income from parents.

I know gw are a business, but come one

C:\Users\Samuel\Pictures\SINDRI.jpg
fattyboy5 is offline   Reply With Quote