Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Apoc pictures - 14k game (7k each) chaos traitor marines vs the adeptus astartes
Old 14 Dec 2007, 14:02   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Apoc pictures - 14k game (7k each) chaos traitor marines vs the adeptus astartes

Quite a few apoc haters on these here boards, thought i would post something positive about apocalypse for all to enjoy.

Pics are in reverse order so start on page 6 and work your way backwards. This battle was with fully painted models on a fully painted terrain board. And was an absolute dream to play.

http://s123.photobucket.com/albums/o...v07/?start=100

No legendary units or formations were used.

Strats per side
Imperial Forces - Flank March and Recon
Chaos Forces - Orb Bomb and Strat Redeploy.

Nick won with 3 objectives to my 2. It would have been 3-1 to him if we played another turn.

The game had more change of direction then a bumper car.

Unit of the match was 2 surviving Ultramarines. This vet serg with powerfist and a mairne with missile launcher saw off

A Winged Daemon Prince in combat
A DG Rhino (missile shot)
A lone DG Asp. Champ (missile launcher killed him in contact before both other models could turn fists on)
A Vindicator (missile shot)
An Obliterator (powerfist, instant kill in combat)

These 2 guys pretty much single handedly held an entire flank for 4 turns and stopped the chaos breaking through.

Thats what apoc is all about!!!
Gareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Dec 2007, 14:05   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge
Default Re: Apoc pictures - 14k game (7k each) chaos traitor marines vs the adeptus astartes

Havn't looked at your pics yet, but your summarisation does indeed appear to be what Apoc is about.

The key reason, I would imagine was:

Quote:
No legendary units or formations were used.
Without them, you had a more workable, massive game of 40k. Sounds exactly what Apoc should be, glad it was a good game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Dec 2007, 14:12   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Apoc pictures - 14k game (7k each) chaos traitor marines vs the adeptus asta

The key reason it worked, is because we put a couple of weeks effort into making sure all models were painted, all terrain was painted. Even coming up with a narrative, and taking a known strategem each to reinforce our fluff. My 13th company flank marched to represent chasing the chaos force out of the warp and helping out the imperial forces. Whilst the IW took Orbital Barrage to show their control of the planets orbit and to add to their siege fluff.

The game would have been equally workable if we had formations and datasheets for the simple fact we make the game work because we have a common goal. neither of us was interested in power gaming, and instead want to play out a huge narrative.

I could have turned up with my hierophant and destroyed the chaos forces with its huge max charge range of 28" but we got more enjoyment out of pitting the classic enemies against each other and working on some narrative.

The story is evolving too after the game we were discussing what happens next, and the game showed that the imperials had been pushed back into the city... so our next game will be 1500pt city fight to show the chaos trying to crush the remains of the imperial forces.
Old 14 Dec 2007, 23:09   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Apoc pictures - 14k game (7k each) chaos traitor marines vs the adeptus astartes

Maybe there is hope for apocalypse after all.
Death Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Dec 2007, 23:35   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

I'm browsing the photos now and I have to say that game looks great.

However once again a lot of people seem to be missing the point with Apocalypse...

Gareth is playing it well, but that's not even the only way to play.

The number one thing you need to ensure with an Apocalypse game is that EVERY PLAYER wants to have FUN and they all have the same idea of what that entails.

If that means proxying in 3000 points of ridiculously cheesy armies, then that's what you do. However more commonly it will mean something akin to what Gareth and his friends have done.

Just relax and have fun, use the very cool and characterful formations and and legendary units, they're neat!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Falstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Dec 2007, 10:50   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

very nice photos!

yeh. dream game! however i want to use legendary units myself as it adds some spice to the game!. But, i do prefer FWs rules over the apoc rules. that would had ballanced it more like a large 40k game really
Old 15 Dec 2007, 13:57   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falstead
However once again a lot of people seem to be missing the point with Apocalypse...

Gareth is playing it well, but that's not even the only way to play.

The number one thing you need to ensure with an Apocalypse game is that EVERY PLAYER wants to have FUN and they all have the same idea of what that entails.

If that means proxying in 3000 points of ridiculously cheesy armies, then that's what you do. However more commonly it will mean something akin to what Gareth and his friends have done.

Just relax and have fun, use the very cool and characterful formations and and legendary units, they're neat!
This post seems very rude to me. From the sounds of it, Gareth and his friends enjoyed themselves, without proxying cheesy units. That's not the 'point' of Apocalypse; the point is to enjoy yourself. If that's how you enjoy it, power to you, but I see no reason why we need to play that way to have fun.
Droids_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Dec 2007, 01:15   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Apoc pictures - 14k game (7k each) chaos traitor marines vs the adeptus asta

I think his point was that it can be played either way.
GeekyGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Dec 2007, 17:15   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

The thing is so long as the gaming group has the same ideals everything is fine.

Powergaming isn't something new. Its been around since wargaming was invented. Just because apoc takes out restrictions doesn't mean its the cause of powergaming. People power gamed with AI rules, standard 40k rules, and apoc rules... its nothing new.

If a bunch of gamers want to do that and enjoy doing it good luck to them. But it sounds awful if you ask me.

Luckily my gaming group get enjoyment out of campaign and story based games.
Old 16 Dec 2007, 17:40   #10 (permalink)
Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droids_Rule
This post seems very rude to me. From the sounds of it, Gareth and his friends enjoyed themselves, without proxying cheesy units. That's not the 'point' of Apocalypse; the point is to enjoy yourself. If that's how you enjoy it, power to you, but I see no reason why we need to play that way to have fun.
I believe you've misread Falstead's reply, his statement wasn't aimed at Gareth or anyone in particular, so cool down, okay?

I haven't had the chance to play Apocalypse yet, but once I can I will probably bloody well enjoy it! Me and my Brother are already contemplating what units to take, what background/story to give to our battles and whose Commander would beat whose in a 1 on 1 duel.