Warhammer 40K Forum

I've NEVER been more disgusted in my life
Closed Thread
Old 12 Sep 2005, 07:13   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Location: In my secret lair plotting forum domination....hehe
Send a message via MSN to Tau-killer
Default I've NEVER been more disgusted in my life

Two days ago - I watched the new film version of 'The Hitch Hikers guide to the Galaxy.' I sat there watching, my jaw dropping, trying to work out why this pile of trash was fit to be called 'The hitch Hikers guide to the Galaxy.' I hated it for many reasons:

Firstly, miscasting; Arthur Dent and Zaphod Beeblebrox were good, but ford Prefect and Trillian were completely lost.
Secondly, Too much time spent on CGI effects rather than making a good plot (I like to call this 'Star Wars Syndrome.) And even then the CGI effects for the actual guide looked rubbish, the effects in the 1980s version were far better.
The plot was nonexistant. They'd taken the original Hitch Hiker plot, and cut and mashed it up in about 50 different ways, stuck their own ideas in there, jumbled it around some more, cut it up again, stuck some more ideas in there, tied it up with string and called it finished.
All the language humour was gone. For those you have read the book or listened to it, who can forget the classic joke of 'oh yes, it was stuck in a locked cabinet, stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying 'beware of the leopard'. Ever thought of going into advertising?' That, and countless other language jokes were cut out of this slapstick infested film.

If anyone wants to comment, I shall be hiding behind a towel.
Old 12 Sep 2005, 07:18   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer
Default Re: I've NEVER been more disgusted in my life

I think you are being overly hard.

Personally, I loved Trillian. She was English, not some American tart like the original series made her out to be (I think it was an Amercian accent she had...).

Prefect I didn't like. Again, he was too... well... odd. Okay, I wasn't impressed he was black either. I wish they could make just one film where the casting doesn't need to be politically correct.

And for your information, Douglas Adams took the original plot, cut it up, threw in a few extra scenes, and essentially did 80-90% of the work for the movie, so bite your tongue before you insult this brilliant film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 12 Sep 2005, 14:04   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Brilliant? Dude come on......... Did you watch the same movie and what I saw on screen? I have seen better sci-fi movies at 3am on the Sci-fi channel. I didn't think the symbol of the universe "the towel" played a big enough role in the film, and I liked the campy 60s feel of the guide.

Other then that it was the wrong film to take my girlfriend too.....now she thinks all sci-fi movies are that stupid.......... great! and I was making such good grounds too!
Old 12 Sep 2005, 14:35   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

I loved the entire series so much I refuse to see any movie based upon them. The books were just too too good to try to recreate outside of my head...

Wanax
Old 12 Sep 2005, 15:41   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaso Wanax
I loved the entire series so much I refuse to see any movie based upon them.* The books were just too too good to try to recreate outside of my head...
I know what you mean... I always picture Marvin as Bender from Futurama ;D

Quote:
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 12 Sep 2005, 15:59   #6 (permalink)
Aun'O

I really liked it. I have a weird sense of humour which probably explains it. In terms of plot and storyline- it sucked; although I don't think the film's aim was to be strong in its plot.
Old 12 Sep 2005, 16:07   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

i thought that this film proves that we are getting dumber as time goes on,
we as a society have to stop trying to recapture those captivating shows of yesteryear before I'm forced to declare a WAAAGH (trust me i have the weapons)
so sod this piece of epitard I'm off the watch "the transporter 2"

stupid ummies and der ichikers,dey dont even ave rokses >

Praise be to the Omnissiah.url=http://www.pickle-green.com/egraphics/main.php?id=eggs][/url]
Old 12 Sep 2005, 16:09   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Location: In my secret lair plotting forum domination....hehe
Send a message via MSN to Tau-killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
Prefect I didn't like. Again, he was too... well... odd. Okay, I wasn't impressed he was black either. I wish they could make just one film where the casting doesn't need to be politically correct.

And for your information, Douglas Adams took the original plot, cut it up, threw in a few extra scenes, and essentially did 80-90% of the work for the movie, so bite your tongue before you insult this brilliant film.
I've no problem with his colour. *I could have coped with that if he had acted the part well - but he didn't.

Really, Douglas Adams did? *since he's dead I'd've thought that would have been a bit hard....but even if he did he made a completely terrible mistake and the actors were still directed atrociously.

I really liked it. I have a weird sense of humour which probably explains it. In terms of plot and storyline- it sucked; although I don't think the film's aim was to be strong in its plot.

Well...it was funny, but not in the same way that the book was funny. *This was funny in that crude slapstick way that parody films are funny - it just didn't take itself seriously. *The book of course wasn't serious, but it took it's complete stupidity and wacky world seriously.
And they still completely lost the best humour - the language humour.
Old 12 Sep 2005, 16:11   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

Yes, DA did write the plot changes. The idea for the film has been around for about twenty years or more.

Quote:
Old 12 Sep 2005, 16:19   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

I used to read a comic book series call Flaming Carrot.* A spin off from this outragiuosly funny series was a group of sidekicks called the Mystery Men.* They too were outragiously funny.* They made a movie of the MM, and it was the most turgid representation of the original since Tony Curtis played a Knightly squire in Medieval England with his bronx accent!

Wanax
Closed Thread