Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Airports dont like GW paints!
Closed Thread
Old 08 Sep 2005, 23:05   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Airports dont like GW paints!

:P

i went to Hawaii last spring for work, and yea, brought my Army and paints. on BOTH the flight in and out.. my 'Hobby' Bag (that was checked in) was opened and inspected back in the baggage areas!! (i had a 'notice of inspection' sheet in the bag when i opened it each time)

im guessing the bomb-sniffers in the Baggage lines signaled an alert when my GW stuff zoomed through... and the x-rays must have been soo suspicious that my bag was physically pulled aside, and opened, and poked through!!!

lucky i had nothing to be afraid (or embarrased!) of... but sheesh!! is there something bomb-ey in the chemicals of Acrylic paint?? (uuhhmm dont answer that if you know... rhetorical question....)

;D or maaaaayyybe a Tau army in foam trays looks really kewl in an X-ray... and the guys just HAD to look!!!
Old 09 Sep 2005, 00:32   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Hunter
Default Re: Airports dont like GW paints!

Bear in mind that it's also illegal (and reall really stupid) to carry aerosol cans of paint, or anything lese for that matter, on a plane.

Old 09 Sep 2005, 00:43   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Why do they blow up or something?
Old 09 Sep 2005, 00:45   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

They are pressurized so its possible and the chemicals in some are more flamable than others, they cant tell just from an x-ray. You can use the contents of some cans as very effective flamethrowers... really. When in doubt leave it. Its not worth the trouble. Id rather buy new paints at my destination then spend an hour more in an airport personally.

Airports can be a real pain about that stuff, you gotta be careful.

Old 09 Sep 2005, 00:50   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Screening standards vary widely from Airport to Airport and even from Shift to Shift. *I recall waiting through an enormous line on an Ontario to San Jose flight. *It was because EVERYONE was setting off the Metal detector. *I did as through a job as humanly possible in removing ALL the metal I could. *Even took off my shoes. *The metal detector STILL screamed. *I asked the young long haired quard if he thought the detector might be set just a tad.. to sensitive (since everyone was failing, even the guy just wearing shorts and flip flop sandals). *He tersely replied , NO! *I asked what might be setting off the machine, since I'd taken off everything I could. *He waved a howling metal detection wand over the front of my pants and said it was the metal zipper!

Screwheads! *I now just drive for five and a half hours when Business trips are required to the Bay Area. *With the current cost of gas
the price is almost identical to flying. *At least I don't have to take off my shoes for an X-Ray machine * !

Best Regards,
Old 09 Sep 2005, 00:52   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydudeman
If he was planning to blow them up he probably would have gone with some cheaper paint
Old 09 Sep 2005, 01:30   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delightfully Emo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydudeman
If he was planning to blow them up he probably would have gone with some cheaper paint
lol, I dont know, I might have gone for some paint I could rely on to be quality and actually blow up right
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Old 09 Sep 2005, 01:32   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

point of note: i didnt transport ANY aerosol cans.... im not e'stoooopid!!

pressurized cans blow up when raised up to 35,000 feet atmospheric pressure... since theyre already close to popping as it is at sea level! (the baggage compartment isnt pressurized on airliners...)

another airport story.. loooong before 9-11, i had a carryon hassle with my briefcase... see, i had these little walkman speakers... you know, with 4 C cell batteries in back of each... MAN they went nuts at the x-ray machine!!!!! i was even pulled aside and told to stand facing a wall! later they apologized, and showed me the cause for alarm.. they showed me the X-ray! WOW!! * *lemme tell ya! 4 C cell batteries, with little wires going to each end.. to a round disklike object.. looks JUST like a little TNT pack (with clock detonator) you see in movies/cartoons!! * :
Old 09 Sep 2005, 05:28   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Hunter

Oh, wonderful.

Sady, this is going to be moved to the Enclave, it's fun, but it's not quite 40K.

Old 09 Sep 2005, 05:33   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Warbird Send a message via MSN to Warbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calaban
(i had a 'notice of inspection' sheet in the bag when i opened it each time)
WOW they still give those out cause it is news to me in the last 30 flights i have not gotten one of those slips. But somone i know (verion) took his paints on a plane and they had no problem with him taking them.

I am a ordinary person living a extrodinary life
http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/
Not as good as pron but it's damned close
http://www.turnsignalsonalandraider.com/
Poke'em in the eye
Closed Thread