Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau Firewarrior Combat suits : A reality sooner than you think... (UPDATED)
Closed Thread
Old 15 Aug 2005, 23:53   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Tau Firewarrior Combat suits : A reality sooner than you think... (UPDATED)

This is what they project for 2010 and 2020. Considering the rate at which technology redoubles itself, I'm feeling this is sooner than later.

http://www.gizmag.com.au/go/3062/

Read the article for the full low down on projected abilities. While your at it, this webzine is a fount of military high-tech wares. Browse away, I really recommend it.

UPDATE : The XM series H&K weapons family.

A single gun, with modular options. Quite realistically, you could be ambushed with the sub-machine gun 'core' component in hand. Duck your head as your squad covers you, then inside a minute of switching parts, step back up with a 100 round bi-pod stabilised fully automatic SAW. I like it.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...xm8-poster.jpg

~ Tael.
Old 16 Aug 2005, 08:00   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace
Default Re: Tau Firewarrior Combat suits : A reality sooner than you think... (UPDATED)

Add to that, experimental railguns already exist.. (I'll find link eventually..)
Old 16 Aug 2005, 12:33   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: Tau Firewarrior Combat suits : A reality sooner than you think... (UPDATED)

Yeah, a 'Railgun' is a real concept, I have know idea of how it works but I know that it is a real idea. ;D
Old 16 Aug 2005, 12:43   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Having served in the US infantry for most of my life, here is what I want in the way of combat gear:

1. A gun the size and weight of a pencil that has a 1000 round magazine and accurate up to 500 meters.
2. A helmet that contains an airconditioner and wieghs the same as my hair.
3. A uniform that I can jump into the ocean, walk out, and it will be dry within 2 minutes.
4. Boots that massage my feet, or better yet allow me to levitate for extended periods 6" above the ground.
5. A rucksack and full kit that wiegh around 2 pounds.
6. MREs that fit in my pocket, taste like steak and keep me full for 24 hours.
7. A radio headset that fits in my ear but doesn't impede my ability to hear around me.
8. A hardwired compass and map display.
9. A squad of men who only say "roger" when given orders.
10. A naked, beautiful, women in my rucksack that requires no food, no attention, and no conversation.

;D

Just some insight from an experienced, old, and worn out footpounder.

Wanax
Old 16 Aug 2005, 12:55   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff

Ahh good old MRE's.
Bloody ray pack to the max! yeah.

But seriously the weapon is cool, military advancments will eventually lead to our destruction but hey!

The suit is awesome, the black one especially.
Old 16 Aug 2005, 12:56   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

To my knowledge from army cadets in Australia, MRE's can already fit in your pocket, and taste relatively good (anythings good once your on rations :s), they'd just need to be bigger ones to last 24 hours. And this may be slightly classified info.. well cadet clearance, but from what I gathered from my RATEL/NCS course during camp, comms like that are in development :P

I'm happy with modular weapons.. And I think compass and maps would eventually be integrated into HUDs.. the future of warfare is interesting..

<insert random theory>
IMO, the Tau were meant to reflect more closely the technological change/advancement of the real world human race, compared to the Imperial Guard where they only added better computers to their tanks and invented flashlights. Or maybe its a two step thing, we go to the IG stage, and eventually reach the Tau stage with tech..
Old 16 Aug 2005, 13:11   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

The HUD, and all other techno-war gear have one singular and undenyable weakness that cannot be overcome as long as soldiers are involved:* The 9V battery.

Let me recount what has failed due to shortage or loss of batteries:

MILS - laser training gear
PAC4 - laser pointer for night fight
PVS14 - night vision monocle
Plugger - army GPS
PR126 - squad radio

Need I go on?* As long as the thing requires a battery, it will be rendered inoperable by the second hour of need on the battlefield* >

Topic:* Tau use what voltage battery I wonder?* Perhaps solar wargear?* Or sinse so much is HW, perhaps bio-electrical?

Wanax

Old 16 Aug 2005, 13:48   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Don't know when was the last time you had a US Army MRE, but the one I had was pretty yummy. Add water, stick into box, eat hot pasta. Eat fortified pineapple, sweet cracker and chocolate bar. Pretty simple yet filling meal. The box was covered in illustrations and information on how eating is good for a soldier. My uncle has offered to send me more MREs, but I have a feeling they inject the food with a lot of vitamins or some kind of super-booster to keep their soliders peppy and ready for a fight. One is enough for me.
Old 16 Aug 2005, 14:09   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

heh. The ones I had were just plain eat them hot or cold without having to add anything, with no real instructions - no need for them anyway, just rip it open and dig in.. But yeah, they're made specially to provide enough energy & proteins etc.. healthy food...

Batteries - everything uses them.. there aren't many other alternatives.. solar charges maybe..
Old 16 Aug 2005, 15:24   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaso Wanax
Having served in the US infantry for most of my life, here is what I want in the way of combat gear:

1. A gun the size and weight of a pencil that has a 1000 round magazine and accurate up to 500 meters.
2. A helmet that contains an airconditioner and wieghs the same as my hair.
3. A uniform that I can jump into the ocean, walk out, and it will be dry within 2 minutes.
4. Boots that massage my feet, or better yet allow me to levitate for extended periods 6" above the ground.
5. A rucksack and full kit that wiegh around 2 pounds.
6. MREs that fit in my pocket, taste like steak and keep me full for 24 hours.
7. A radio headset that fits in my ear but doesn't impede my ability to hear around me.
8. A hardwired compass and map display.
9. A squad of men who only say "roger" when given orders.
10. A naked, beautiful, women in my rucksack that requires no food, no attention, and no conversation.

;D

Just some insight from an experienced, old, and worn out footpounder.

Wanax
i agree with him i have bin in teh infantry for 4 years and i want the same stuff

Death Guard win 13 tie 0 lost 2

dark eldar wins 5 tie 0 lost 1
Closed Thread