Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Support for an A&A 40k Game
View Poll Results: What Race would you like included in an A&A 40k game? (Bar IG, SM and Orks)
Tau 10 31.25%
Eldar 5 15.63%
Necrons 1 3.13%
Tyranids 4 12.50%
Mechanicus 7 21.88%
Other 4 12.50%
None, just the 3 1 3.13%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 24 Jun 2010, 21:13   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Support for an A&A 40k Game

I am probably, in the future going to set up another A&A game, this time based around the 40k universe. With Imperial Guard, Space Marines, Orks as playable factions so far. I have editted the ruleset a bit to compensate for the extra units I have put in, Including Titans!

The above poll is really to see if anyone would like more races in the game, and if so, which ones. I have imagined relative rule guidelines for all of them but only the current three are solid and playtested.

So would you all be interested if I tried to get this up and running for sometime in July or August? I have a map, but before I can really design it, I want to see how many people would want to play, so I can design balanced territories.

Edit: I knew I forgot something. Chaos should be on the poll as well, If you want them just hit "other".
[img width=650 height=74]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x38/Majonga/sig.jpg[/img]
majonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jun 2010, 21:15   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Support for an A&A 40k Game

First off, a 40k A&A sounds epic.

However, I do wonder if it would work btter if we limited the amount of races? The TO A&A games have been classic for their shifting allegiances, but if we're a collection of different races the chances of actually allying are incredibly slim. Perhaps we should stick with armies that could feasibly engage in diplomacy. Perhaps a couple SM chapters, possibly renegade ala the Badab War, maybe some tricky Eldar, and of course PDF forces/Imperial Guard.
Droids_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jun 2010, 21:22   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapter Master Seth
First off, a 40k A&A sounds epic.

However, I do wonder if it would work btter if we limited the amount of races? The TO A&A games have been classic for their shifting allegiances, but if we're a collection of different races the chances of actually allying are incredibly slim. Perhaps we should stick with armies that could feasibly engage in diplomacy. Perhaps a couple SM chapters, possibly renegade ala the Badab War, maybe some tricky Eldar, and of course PDF forces/Imperial Guard.
Hmm, I know what you mean. The question for me though is a balance between the diplomatic dynamic of the ME game, and the straightforwardness of the original A&A.

Edit: Crap I can't see the poll results until I vote myself...
[img width=650 height=74]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x38/Majonga/sig.jpg[/img]
Old 25 Jun 2010, 15:11   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Tau_devil Send a message via Yahoo to Tau_devil

I'm game. I'll shotgun tau too. I can see the concern with diplomacy. I'd just straight rule out trades. They caused a lot of trouble last time.
Old 25 Jun 2010, 15:13   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

I'm game... But what does A&A mean?
Old 25 Jun 2010, 15:24   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Axis & Allies. Its the core ruleset we us. It's got all the combat and income rules. It's on the wizards of the coast website. I think they have it as free download.
Old 25 Jun 2010, 15:44   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

I suppose if we remove the alliances entirely and make it war-focused it could work fine, but I really liked the diplomacy of the last games and I think if we kept it to something a little more plausible it would be more fun; obviously when we have Space Marines, Orks, and so on running about diplomacy is not exactly an option. Maybe like the Tau Online World game run by LGT - various warring hive clusters with perhaps a few Imperial factions joining in and, as mentioned some xenos which could plausibly make alliances, like Eldar, Kroot Mercs, or even... Blood Claws, I think they were?
Old 25 Jun 2010, 15:55   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

The diplomacy itself wasn't a problem. It was the trading that was a problem. If we keep diplomacy simple we shouldn't have a problem.

I would like to see the main races as the playable factions. With some of the minor races as placeholders for territory.
Old 25 Jun 2010, 16:06   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapter Master Seth
I suppose if we remove the alliances entirely and make it war-focused it could work fine, but I really liked the diplomacy of the last games and I think if we kept it to something a little more plausible it would be more fun; obviously when we have Space Marines, Orks, and so on running about diplomacy is not exactly an option. Maybe like the Tau Online World game run by LGT - various warring hive clusters with perhaps a few Imperial factions joining in and, as mentioned some xenos which could plausibly make alliances, like Eldar, Kroot Mercs, or even... Blood Claws, I think they were?
I understand your point, it's something I definetly saw myself. I thought about making an A&A game based on the same idea of LGT TOworld, but I didn't want to copy his idea, and by that point It wouldn't really be 40k without the Xenos and Daemons. I am working on getting Tau into the game possibly. However, most of the fluff behind the game is out of the window if I start adding a bunch of races. Thanks though, I want to keep the diplomacy in too, but then there isn't really much diplomacy in 40k is there? There is only War, right?

[hr]

Mechanicus is certainly popular in the poll. I put them in becuase I originally had 3 imperial factions. Imperial Guard, Space Marines and Titan Legio. However I deciced to amalgamate Titans into IG and SM. The problem with Mechanicus is that they would be close to IG in style, and then there is research to consider.

As of the momment here is the rough base of the races I have:

Imperial guard = is standard A&A units essentially with the odd tweak.

Space Marines = a selection of more powerful units, but there are expensive and have limited mobility. (They do however have a drop-pod special rule).

Orks = weaker units, but cheaper.

Tau? = still working on a ruleset for these guys.

[hr]

I have two ideas for expanding the game, which I want to put here, see what people think of them:

1. Leadership - I am thinking each race has a leadership value (i.e. 5/10) to stop whole armies being wiped out to the last man in battle, I was thinking that after each round, the army that caused the least wounds must take a leadership test, if they fail the army must fall back.

Example:

5 Ork Boyz Mobs attack 5 Guard Regiments: the Orks cause 2 kills, while the IG cause only 1. The orks win and the IG must take a morale test (currently IG leadership is 6/10). IG roll a D10 and roll a 7 hence failing the leadership test. So the 3 remaing units of IG fall back to a friendly territory. If the IG had rolled 6 they would have held their ground and a 2nd round would have been fought, until one side retreated or were wiped out.

Thoughts on this? Really what I intended with this idea was that battle between players didn't rest wholly on a single bloody battle and then one side losing all it's troops. instead the fighting would be alot more potracted.

2. To add in Titans, I have editted the combat system so now units roll an D8 rather than a D6. This allows for more units becuase it's 1-6 rather 1-4 in possible rolls. I have done a bunch of test battles and it doesn't actually effect the difficulty of rolling a 1,2,3 that much. It obviously harder than normal A&A but for example a unit with 1 offense still has a reasonable chance at a kill. Also It allows Titans to be far more potent, without always killing.

Anyone got any thoughts on this change, it's probably one of the most major. I am fine with it, but some-one might pick up on a fatal flaw I missed.

I think that is all, tell me what you think. If it looks like the game may be more fun if we went more on the direction of TOworld than true A&A, then I can definetly take it in that direction.

[hr]

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD
The diplomacy itself wasn't a problem. It was the trading that was a problem. If we keep diplomacy simple we shouldn't have a problem.

I would like to see the main races as the playable factions. With some of the minor races as placeholders for territory.
So you're thinking like DOW: Dark Crusade type map? or Medusa V? That is certainly possible. It may be better than just three races.

Another point here is I think that, like DOW or M5, we can be as roleplay about this as we want. If the IG player and say the Ork player decide on some agreement, then we can fluff it. It is the same for IG vs SM. We can be as fluffy about this as we want.
Old 25 Jun 2010, 16:08   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

I don't mean diplomacy was a problem. I mean it was fun as hell. I agree that unit trading made some weird loopholes and I'd be fine with seeing that go but that's not my point. My point is, the diplomacy in the last game was utterly fantastic but in a 40k setting it just doesn't make sense if you're using all of the major races, who are for the most part all mortal enemies of one another. :P

And yeah, I'd be fine if we kept it purely a military sim and added in every race we can for fun.