Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Well, thats me finished....
Old 07 Jun 2010, 21:04   #1 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Well, thats me finished....

...with Games Workshop.

Yeah, I'll still play and finish of my daemons (just 20 more models and those seekers left!!) but aside from that - im done. Price increases, poor customer services (my local store has been closed for the last 2 weeks!!) and their love of space machines is just worn me down and burnt me out.

Now, what has brought this thought on?

LARP.

2 weeks ago a friend invited me to take part in the next event, of which I have just come back from. Now, at first I was rather aprehensive - from what I heard it was even nerdier than Warhammer. And I've met massively nerdy people when playing warhammer - those types that takes things waaaaay too seriously, making sure that everything is measured to within the millimetre and the like. I swallowed my fears and dived right in and decided on a healer, firstly so I can stand back and learn what happens but so that I can also take part in the game and provide some use. If I follow the example of most MMO's no one bothers with the healers as everyone wants to kill things. Right?

Well, as soon as I got to the camp I was greeted with open arms and great welcoming to the game. And from that point onwards things only went up hill!

I won't bore you with the details unless you want me to.

But safe to say - it was an absolute blast!!
Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jun 2010, 21:27   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge
Default Re: Well, thats me finished....

MOAR details.

And Larp is cool. The film Role Models told me so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jun 2010, 21:32   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Circus Freak

I could have told you how awesome LARP is =P a lot of LARPers think that tabletop roleplaying is amazingly geeky, let alone 40k. It's a two-way "Nerdier than us" thing.

I am interested to know which LARP you're doing though, as there are so many out there of massively varying themes and styles.
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Circus Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jun 2010, 21:37   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Agree - its a good laugh - I was a nutty guy with a spear :lion: It was less focused on the RP side and more on the -
"RAwwww-R! You sodding heathen pheasant! With my righteous spear, I shall pummel you into a fine poultice!"
Annnd when you have lost 4 liters of blood- you are deemed "out of action". :funny: ... Or pretty much.

They dont really run events in the winter though - Come October you'll be back with the deamons, you melodramatic daemonette
Thantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jun 2010, 21:57   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Location: That bitter taste in the back of your throat, the one kinda wrapped around your uvula that is all that's left of your Pride.

I personally would love to hear about it. I've never done it before and certainly have more than a passing interest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shas'o Ahab
In parting, I've discovered why Farsight started his breakaway faction...
*Farsight looks at Dawn Blade* "Shiny..."*Farsight picks up Dawn Blade and looks around* "... let's be bad guys."
Quote:
Originally Posted by The man they call Waffles
Jayne you y'xa'uuk legend
The Man They Call Jayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Jun 2010, 01:08   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circus
I could have told you how awesome LARP is =P a lot of LARPers think that tabletop roleplaying is amazingly geeky, let alone 40k. It's a two-way "Nerdier than us" thing.

I am interested to know which LARP you're doing though, as there are so many out there of massively varying themes and styles.
Ditto. Both to the "could have told you of the awesomeness" and the "which one are you doing?"
[hr]
Masked Thespian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Jun 2010, 01:22   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

You tried other game systems silk? Infinity is worth looking at, been getting into it a lot lately. Nice models too.

LARP eh. Fun unless you take it seriously (which some seem to do... for some reason). Drink, act like an idiot for a bit, and generally muck about.
I like the larp that you can do paintballing... that kicks ass. Used to do it a lot at uni, we were able to get our uni to fund a paintball team, so it paid for the team to play for free. It was muchos fun. I was the sneaky sniper hiding in the trees as high up as you could get mwahahaha

Commission?! PM me to discuss a price. Based in the UK.
[img width=650 height=74]http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff127/glam_andy/Anubis.jpg[/img]

Fat bottomed girls make the rockin' world go round!
Anubis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Jun 2010, 01:56   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

Well, I'll spare you the mass of the details...

Day1

We arrived about 2 hours late so we missed a few things but No sooner had we set up camp than we were attacked by a group of elementals. Twice! This was before I had even had my character made and registered. They came rushing through the camp and were only fended off when our magic uses came to the fray.

We decided to celebrate the victory at the in player tavern. First faction there! Pick of the wenches and the benches!! A few other factions join us and a bit singing starts. Howerver, one person comes over to the table outside that I was sat on that I was sharing with the head druid and the family champion and takes a short jab at our kilts. Something about telling women from men as we are as ugly as each other. The Champion, without breaking from drinking nudges me. The first spell I used on the man was a paralyze spell that stopped him from moving for 30 seconds. The Champ downs his pint and shouts "Fir Cruthen!!" (my faction) at the top of his lungs and most of the tavern empties.

The guy bricks it and runs away.

Awesome!!

Day 2

The elementalists return for a raid in the morning. They get beaten back by a swarm of magicians and our beastmen. I had to heal like crazy. Running around with a tankard of tonic water with asprin in one hand and a toothbrush in the other definatley made me feel like the nutcase priest that I wanted to be.

Later on I got introduced to something that I still find kinda weird. It's called the spirit quest, and it's something that people like my character goes through as a druid. When I first heard about it I thought that it would be just some strange RP that would end up with me choosing my spirit totem. Not quite like that. A combination of some seriously strong insense, drums and a damn good story teller and it actually didn't work like the way that I expected it to. I actually saw something. I wound up with a cow.

yay.

Anyways, I got an introduction into monstering. For those of you not in the know - monstering involves being the bad guy for raids. The elementals that we've been encountering were played by people monstering. Each faction at this event had two 2 hour slots where they progress the story for the other factions. And it isn't as bad as it first seems. No one bothers to not turn up unless their character gear is so complex that it takes a good while to get ready (which is understandable) as it is all based around the fact that the favour will be returned later on when your faction wishes to advance it's plotline.

The "monsters" that we were playing was Pirates. The story was one that was concluding a plotline that was started over year ago by the Wolves. Now, imagine if the roman empire started in Scandanavia instead of italy and that is pretty damn close to what the Lions are. Violent, angry and very organised when it comes to warfare. The story was started when the hammer of thor was stolen by the pirate leader (as in actually stolen - they didn't have the weapon for ages!) which was then re-captured at the last event in a massive battle. This battle was one that was to conclude it all by the assassination of said pirate leader. The only problem was that the Lions didn't know about such an event.

The whole battle was to be staged as one of the pirates was to be chosen as a traitor. A few scouts would have to run after him straight into Lions hands. Guess who had to be a scout? Yeah, me. I had to run after a guy for half a mile. When we reached the camp all hell broke loose, people just engaging in knife fighting with a few bucklers here and there. However, I still managed to get a kill (as in proper in game kill - not just knocked down awaiting healing) in a one on one duel with a swordsman. Anyways, after we were killed we ran back to where the fight would be starting, and the pirate traitor told them our location. However, when the attack came, in traditional Wolf rank and file, they were outnumbered 3 to one by us, the monsters!! Without hesitation we attacked and swamped them, eliminating the Wolf fighting elite one at a time. However, before we could get down to the business of fully wiping them out a combination of the Lions and Dwarves came charging in providing reinforcements. Aparantly, a runner had been sent to go and procure re-inforcements by any means necessary as the Wolves had sent the meat of their fighting force to go and settle an arguemtn with the Al Gaians and Teutonians.

ha!

Anyways, despite heavily crippling both the Wolves and a good portion of the dwarves we were wiped out to a man.... With the exception of the Pirate leader who managed to slip away with one of the shields of Odin.

Double ha!!

The wolves were not too pleased with that I can tell you!.

Anyways, I got back in character and fancied a pint. Hot day, 3 in the afternoon. Why not? I grabbed a beastman known as Patch, a fellow druid and Aunt Dru, the faction healer and mystic. However, the first corner we take we encounter something that scared even the Champion of Thor - the Necromancers. There was only 3 at the even, and they are strictly NPCs, but they are representing the growing threat of evil gods. They work by devouring your soul and making you into their puppets for whenever they choose. However, remember that Druid ritual I told you about? My spirit protected my soul and caused fear amongst them, they fled unable to harm me or my comrades, yet we could harm them. In game turns I am given a mark on my face which shows that no evil can enter my body to harm my soul so they could do nothing, yet I could do something to them.

Awesome.

I had my first dual at the tavern. It started when a troll enterd the fighting pit connected to the tavern and challenged all who stood there. A few people fought him. Some victories, a few defeats and then he stared at me and bellowed at me to fight. I put my hands up and said that I was only a healer. He bellowed in laughter as I really wished I wasn't wearing a kilt. However, the other druid gave me a peck on the lips (yes, she was a girl....) and all of a sudden getting into an arena with a stupidly powerful troll seemed fine, and I had a few bits of magic remaining, so why not? It ended before it even began. I threw a paralyze spell at him, followed by a few swift stabs with my knife until he died. I had a rather large tankard of beer waiting for me and a rather puzzled look on the pit keeper... Suddenly his gold chest seemed to be a tad bit more empty than usual.

Anyway, back at the camp the rest of the day moved on rather slowly. There was a council meeting that pretty much summerised that we need to kill no less than 3 gods in 4 different spheres of existence, but no biggy. There was the odd scuffle with other factions, not much bigger than duals really. Just settling old scores or resolving arguments the good old fashioned way. 9pm rolls around and the tavern is sounding more like the best place to be at that moment. I ask the Druid if she feels like a drink and she jumps up and we walk onwards. Before we get to the tavern we encounter a horde of beastmen. Great, horde of nutters and me with no magic. Fun times!! First words? "Fancy a jog?" We run at full pelt past the braziers shouting "Raaaaaiiiiiiiddddddd!" and the whole camp launches themselves at them. The fighting becomes intense as people are being pressed on all sides as we don't have a full complement of warriors that we usually have. I stand next to a man called Old Toby. His face is split from ear to ear. I try to figure out what the hell he is drinking, and continue to patch up the wounded. The attack is only just beaten back. We begin to regroup and reheal and thankfully the message has gotten to the tavern and we were at full strength again, and luckily so. No sooner had the veterans re-appeared than had the next wave had come. More bitter fighting as the beastmen just simply rush us from three different angles. This goes on for almost two hours before we spy something that had people terrified....

Reinforcements for them coming down the road. Dark Elven bastards spotted the fighting and our rivals entered the fray. Not only that, but the referees had granted the ability to recycle the dead monsters by just getting to him, and using him as a spawn point. We were pushed back to the grove, the holy place of the Fir Cruthen.

Then I hear a bellowed like whipped thunder. Old man toby bellows the wrath of the godess of Badb and the monsters are slain or pushed back and the Dark Elves run in fear of their lives. I'm still trying to figure out just what the hell happened. But it saved out skins.

[hr]

So, thats it for day 1 and 2 out of 3, I'll post the next bit up tommoz. However - some questions:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circus
Simple:

http://www.curiouspastimes.co.uk/
Old 08 Jun 2010, 02:33   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

By the description of the factions and the events involved, I'm assuming you went to Insurrection, the Curious Pastimes event this weekend just gone.

Glad to hear the Wolves (my faction) finally got the Hammer of Thor back, even if it was a little give and take. One of the most annoying things for people like me (who are in no position to make it to events) is that there is an endemic culture that you should not divulge plot events outside of the event, meaning that if you want to know you have to go. Bit annoying for people like me who are out of the country and cannot attend, yet are still curious to hear what's going on.

All in all, sounds like you had a fantastic time and I hope you're planning on going again.
[hr]
Masked Thespian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Jun 2010, 07:59   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

Oh, I am most definately going again - probably as a Beastman myself this time