Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Galactic Civilisations II: A Circus blog. Final Entry up.
Old 03 Jun 2010, 22:21   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Circus Freak
Default Galactic Civilisations II: A Circus blog. Final Entry up.

Disclaimer: I'm posting this here rather than "Other Games" because I want to get some readers, and it's more for entertainment than game discussion.

If you've never heard of Galactic Civilisations II, here is its TV Tropes page. Click on it at your own risk, you should know what TV Tropes is like.

I bought GalCivII on impulse, as it looked very similar to Master of Orion II - a game I loved, but the sequel to which was sorely lacking. I was not disappointed with my purchase, as it is exactly what MoOIII should have been. I played it a bit, generally starting on huge maps (as in MoOII small maps were really, really dull) and getting very daunted. I only got really into the game after reading the two articles linked in the TV Tropes article, in which a gentleman blogs his progress through the largest maps available in the second-to-last expansion and in the most recent one. I was in awe.

It's been a while since I'd played in-depth, though, mainly as my girlfriend calls it "The Boring Game" (being as it is very Civilisations-y, I don't blame her outlook) and if I'm spending a lot of time with her I can't spend a lot of time with it. However, I decided "**** it" and a couple of days ago I started a playthrough on a Large map. Earlier today, the Cult of Cthulhu (god bless making your own races) stamped out the last bastions of opposition against them, and reigned supreme in the galaxy. I had the idea to do my own blog about halfway through my Lovecraft-inspired galactic domination, but obviously I'd have to wait until I started a new game to commence properly. So here we go.

This time, though, I won't be playing on a Large map, oh no. I shall be playing on an Immense map, attempting for the first time to finish a game on an Immense map. The guy who did the first two blogs summed it up best, so I shall quote him:

Quote:
A Large galaxy is pretty large. Your starting ships can't reach the other side of it until you research more advanced life-support technologies. A Huge galaxy is larger still, but a whole hundred-year-long Huge game could unfold in one remote corner of a Gigantic map. I'm not playing on a Gigantic map. The new size is called Immense, and it's half as big again.
Yeah. This is gonna be a long slog.

Here we go!

[hr]

Part I: Shaping the Galaxy

In every game I play, and I mean EVERY, I roleplay to some extent. Even the ones where it seems an odd thing to do - I mean, it's easily justifiable in KotoR for example (a roleplaying game, of course), but I do it in Supreme Commander. I do it in Dawn of War. If I'm playing Imperial Guard, I will not think twice about sending squads to their doom. If I'm playing Eldar... that's another story. It frustrates my long-time DoW ally that I do this, but I won't ever attack unless I'm sure I can do it with minimal casualties if I'm playing Eldar. I guess it's just the way I am.

Because of this, I'm a sucker for customisation. As I said earlier, my last game of GalCivII was with the Cult of Cthulhu, an unfathomable ancient presence that was all but unstoppable. It was a laugh =P

For this new game, though, I have to make sure I tailor my race to truly fit me. Something I can really relate to. Something I connect with on a fundamental level.

So begins the story of Emperor Marlboro the Red, leader of the Great Nicotinan Union. Their home world is named Tobacco, and they descend from the skies in red and white ships to dispense addictive chemicals to alien races.

I've gone for a race with a strong economic backbone (mainly because I need the boosts, I shit bricks over my economy) as well as hefty influence, morale and loyalty bonuses to reflect the narcotic nature of my substances. I should be able to defeat races by enveloping them in Influence (the Cultural victory condition). Influence can be whatever you want it to be, really - perhaps the enemy likes your TV shows, or becomes converted to your religion. Influence for the Great Nicotinan Union? Drugs, of course.

That doesn't mean to say I'm not prepared to fight. I'm entering with no racial research bonuses, which does make me feel a bit naked, but I've made up for it (I hope) by having the Technologists political party - the better to research new kinds of spreading influence, or to produce weaponry. And I WILL need weaponry, because the best way to spread influence is really through starbases... and I suck at maintaining starbases. To the aggressive end I chose as my Super Ability (a special ability that sets your race apart even more) the Super Annihilator - I have access to a technology for chemical weapons, which will turn any world they attack into a Toxic world, and I get the ability to colonise toxic worlds for free. The reasons for that is twofold - first off, on the roleplaying side, if the enemy doesn't WILLINGLY convert to my drug dealing ways, I'll simply pump their atmosphere full of heroin and march in with folks who do love the substances. On the mechanical side, I hate invading planets with troops. It takes forever, it's a whole other set of techs to research... not worth the trouble. Just gas the bastards. I also gave the fledgling race the Terran tech tree (you need to pick an existing tech tree) because it felt most fitting. I prefer to use the Thalan tech tree generally, but seeing as they're sentient bugs from the future (no, really. And they're actually not overpowered, I just feel comfortable with their techs) that didn't fit the concept.

So, with the Great Nicotinan Union all ready I need to set up my opponents, seeing as I've already said I'm playing on an Immense galaxy (planets are "occasional", as if there's too many it just becomes an exercise of "Who can pump out colony ships the fastest". I randomly grabbed a few from the default races - I can't remember them all at this stage, and it's better that way, as I'd rather be surprised at first contact - and, another wonderful feature of this game, I threw in the Cult of Cthulhu from my last game. I fiddled with their personality a bit so the AI would know how to play them (and trust me, the AI in this game is PHENOMENAL), and they were good to go.

With that, I dived into the game, noticed my position in the galaxy is roughly central - a blessing, to be sure - instructed my homeworld to build a factory, a research lab and an embassy (to get boosting influence right off the bat ), told my space miner to make some asteroid mining bases and my survey ship to get surveying anomalies, aaaand... saved and quit, and wrote all this.

Updates after my next (technically first :P) session!
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Circus Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Jun 2010, 23:05   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Galactic Civilisations II: A Circus blog. Part I.

Looking forward to part two. I have seen this game but was unsure if it was worth it or not. I was also an immense fan of MOO 1 and 2, and was appalled at how horrible MOO 3 was. Have you played Sins of a Solar Empire? I noticed that these games were made by the same company so I might have to pick up this GalCiv2 if you are pleased with it.

USAFTACP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Jun 2010, 23:31   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Raving Bonkers

Have played GalCivII also. LOVED IT! As you, I made my own race's and a race the truly depicts my style. I was more enslaving and about 1/4 of the way through conquering the galaxy, by which time I no longer needed colony ships as I just took others planets. Needless to say this soon became a problem when I ended up fighting wars on 3 fronts by 5 or more enemies, along with small 'conflicts' with the minor races that poped up.

Was an epic map and soon became trench warfare of sorts. Taking a planet only to lose it a few turns later and so on. Funding soon runs low though and some uber race turned up. They just happend to come in on my egde of the map, smack bang in the middle of my space with huge fleetsthat overwhelmed battlestations. I've no idea if they turned up elsewhere in the galaxy but it was like all these evil races who hated everything decided to attack me and only me all at once in a huge push. My forces overwhelmed and all fleets lost I played to my last planet and was forgoten to the history books.

This was with all enemy AI set to the hardest difficulties so I was proud I took even a quarter of the galaxy. Longest couple weeks of my life and my ear hurt after all the nagging from my fiancee lol

[hr]

I look forward to hearing ur tale and hope you get better luck than me.
Tau Vs. Tyranids 0-W 0-D 1-L

Tyranids Vs. Chaos Marines 3-W 0-D 0-L
Tyranids Vs. Space Marines 2-W 0-D 0-L
Tyranids Vs. Tau 1-W 0-D 0-L

Va're'x Campaign Battle #1 ---Va're'x Campaign Battle #2 ---Va're'x Campaign Battle #3 ---Va're'x Campaign Battle #4 ---Va're'x Campaign Battle #5 --- Va're'x Campaign Battle #6
Raving Bonkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Jun 2010, 00:39   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Part II: Stepping out into the big black

This is a new experience for me, and I'm not entirely sure how to go about it. If I had two computers, I could write up interesting points for the blog as I play the game. Unfortunately, I'm not that rich/tech minded, so a computer to game on and a pen and pad will have to do. I'll fill the pad with interesting points, and every time I've filled two (A5) pages, I'll make a post! So here we are.

We've had our first few months on the galactic plane, and over the course of what I'm about to tell you we've colonised six planets. Not all great, but they'll keep the folks alive, they're not terrible, and one is planet quality 18 - so the chaps there are going to be happy, at least. On one of the first worlds I found there was an ancient alien mind altering device - this is an excuse for the game to throw me a "Good Neutral Evil" test to see what kind of a man I am, but I'm not sure it's the right one for a first test. I can either turn off the machine, and lose an influence bonus. Leave it as it is, and gain and lose nothing. Or... I can take the evil route, and boost it to MAXIMUM POWERRRR, and gain an influence bonus.

As I said, I'm going for influence takeovers, if not a full out influence victory.

So of course I took the "evil" option :funny: More on the alignment in a bit...

First, though, I met the Iconians. I say I "met" them, but really they sent an exploration ship through my space. Looking at the galactic map, they seem to be from really far away, so I'm not sure how they got here. Tried to set up a couple of treaties with them, as I'm losing money. Perhaps I'm building too much, or my economy bonuses just aren't that good. Either way, they refused my offers of treaties. Oh well. I'll get them hooked on substances soon enough.

And, right after meeting the Iconians, we had our first meeting of the council of planets. Just me and the Iconians. Huh. As I said, I'd not seen their empire... but I DO see how many votes they have. They have half as many as I do. Result. I seem to be doing okay... except I did set the intelligence levels to be "random" and the Iconians may just have got the "retard" card.

Colonising another world, I found a high-tech, alien crewed ship. Another moral choice. I could have stripped it down or even been neutral and asked for what they could spare, but I chose "Good" and let them be. More on that later.

Next up, I met the Yor. Again, this was a case of them finding me, but still. Now, the Yor live on Iconia, because they are a race of robot slaves the Iconians made who rebelled and drove the Iconians out. They're not ready for treaties just yet either, so we'll leave each other be for a while. All of a sudden I'm making money, and all my people are happy, somehow, so the lack of treaties isn't a massive loss. I notice that none of my planets except my home world has a starport on, which will be a bad thing sooner than I'd like I expect, so I plant a couple.

And it's a good thing I did. I then discover that my closest neighbour is none other than the Cult of Cthulhu. They're relentless, and if they have halfway decent AI will be ruthless too. Me being nearby, I would be an early target. And they seem pissed. Hmm. Might not all be bad though, they might really love cocaine.

Perplexingly, though, right after I've met the Cult, the Iconians declare war on them! Someone (no idea who, yet) "persuaded" them to. Don't know how they're going to do it, though, at this stage it'd be insane to have military ships. And a couple of turns later, the Iconians inform me (kind of them) that they've declared war on the Dominion of Korx (who I've not even met yet) too. Huh. Let's hope that their mysterious "persuader" doesn't decide to go on an anti-drug campaign.

Then I meet the Torians. They seem friendly enough - they're a peaceful species. I see if they're up for any treaties. They're not. Typical. If I could actually find the LOCATIONS of any of these empires, rather than just seeing their scout ships zipping around, it might be a good idea to get some trade up and running - if anything else, other civilisations are less likely to attack you if you're trading, and an attack in the early game is not something I need.

I notice that amidst the selection of planets I have (I grabbed the juiciest ones first) there were also some fairly poor ones, and I considered colonising them. All worlds are good worlds, after all. But some are better than others. In the end I decided my resources were better spent elsewhere - if any of the other empires tried to colonise them, the fact they were right near my homeworld should mean that they'd just wind up amidst all the drug culture and end up converting over to me anyway, without me having to populate or furnish them. Win/win, really.

And the final part of this entry... I get another moral choice message. Some religious fundamentalist (it's always the religious fundamentalists :) is talking shit about me on my homeworld. I can be good and give him freedom of speech, or I can be evil and kill him and his followers, or I can be neutral and just dig up shit on him to discredit his words. I elect to be neutral. Those who are keeping track will see that I've gone "Good - Evil - Neutral" with my moral choices so far, and may be wondering if I'm establishing some sort of pattern. I'm not. I aim, in the end, to be neutral. Had the alien ship been the first one I found, while I wouldn't have scavenged it for all it was worth, I would have at least asked for some technology (the neutral option). But first I'd already used the mind-control device, so my alignment was slipping. I wanted to become level again. I don't want to be a goody-goody faction, but neutrality is my aim. That way I shouldn't be too far removed from any other faction, which will make both sides more likely to conform to my way of thinking... especially if I continue to research diplomacy and influence technologies at the rate I am.

See you soon

Disclaimer: I am not endorsing drug use on this website. Drugs are bad, and if you use drugs and need help to stop, there are many websites out there that can help you. I am not encouraging folks to take drugs.

I am, however, having a whale of a time pretending to be an empire that exists solely to addict people to dangerous substances. Ho ha.

Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Old 04 Jun 2010, 01:23   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Part III: Rise of the Cult

Overseeing things from my office in the capital building (or rather, sat in front of my laptop), events have certainly got very interesting over the last two pages of A5.

I rejoin the universe to discover that I'm apparently the least powerful civilisation currently, despite my impressive territory, and the Cult of Cthulhu are number one. This could progress very, very badly. I was already worried about having them in my area, seeing as they use the same tech tree and behaviour as a race that is totally designed towards throwing out Influence. My worries were totally founded, as you shall learn.

First off, I take a mediocre world named Caprica. Isn't that a TV show Rafe's raving about now or something? Oh well. I build on it, and get in some debt. I cease all production for a week. No debt. Sorted. And then we have another Council meeting! This time with a whopping five races present - the Great Nicotinan Union, the Torians, the Iconians, the Yor, and, of course, the Cult of Cthulhu. Apparently Ktulu himself has been exploiting the natives of the systems he claims, and the Council wants to know if he should be held responsible. I say "Yes", if only because the tax he'd have to pay might slow him down. The Iconians agree. It is not enough, he continues to do as he pleases. In a huff, I commission the construction of a Restaurant of Eternity - a one-per-galaxy achievement that'll boost my Influence. Luckily, I manage to complete it. If someone else (like, say, the Cult) had got there first, I would have been buggered.

I am then greeted by rumours that literally everyone, including people I've never met and minor races I may never meet (they stick to one planet, there's the maximum number of them in this particular game - so a lot), is paying tribute to the Cult of Cthulhu to stop them killing them. They've not even asked me, but I'm sure they will. By the way, "everyone" also includes the Drengin - pretty much Klingons. If the Cult has them scared, I may have got myself in for a very hairy trip by including the Elder God-worshipping freaks into the game.

Oh, I managed to get an economic treaty going with the Yor, though. That'll do.

And back into the ocean of Cthulhu shittiness. They take one of the crappier planets in my space. I wonder if they'll be able to keep it in my influence web. I then discover they probably will, as it's defended, and I remember they're very loyal too. Fanatically so. I start to research some weapons, and I hear from the Arceans - a neutral warrior race. Maybe I can get them to back me up.

I colonise a planet called "Reaper" with oodles of manufacturing bonuses on, and think "I better hold onto this one." Remember I said I was sure the Cult would ask me for tribute soon enough? Right after getting Reaper, they did. What do they want? Money? Technology? No, they want Reaper, of ****ing course. I tell him he can shove it up his tentacley arse. And now they are "hostile." Not at war yet, though. I expect it's only a matter of time, as I've got a couple of planets brushing right up against their territory, and our influence is bristling. About the only thing I can see that might help if the Cult starts a war is I may be able to get the whole damn galaxy with me on this, because everyone seems to hate them, they're just too damn strong too damn fast for anyone to take on one-on-one at this stage. I may have to use my steadily rising diplomacy skill to get everyone to declare war on them. Soon after I refuse to give them Reaper, they manage to Influence one of my mining bases (no biggie) over to their side. A turn later, I Influence a Drengin base over to my side. I've not even MET the Drengin officially yet. Oh well.

And speaking of war, I get a message from the Iconians saying they've gone to war with the Dominion of Korx. Again. I guess they must have had a brief peace or something. I wonder who's making them do it...

Bedtime for Circus! Hope you're enjoying =)

You may call me Circus.
Old 04 Jun 2010, 02:31   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Spiritbw
Default Re: Galactic Civilisations II: A Circus blog. Parts I-III

Galactic Civilizations II is fun. Defiantly on my list of suggestions to any fan of the MoO series.

Me personally, I always take the same path in any Civ type game so it really depends on who I meet as to how things go. That being the technologist and looking to out tech everyone else. I'll trade, but my technology knowhow is off limits. I have declared war on civs who steal my tech. Other than that I will only usually declare war if they attack me first.

A race foolishly thought that due to the low warship count I should be paying tribute to them. When I refused they decided to declare war and attacked. They met one of my ships with a fleet and...well, imagine a battle between musket wielding foot troops and a tank. Took me a bit to even see their ships mine being the latest and largest hull size boasting weapons and defenses that could dish out and take their entire fleet and then some. Mind it was also designed as a defender. All guns and armour, not much of a engine.

GalCiv II offers the option to design and build your own ships. Not just the weapons and tech placement, but to actually make and design the "look" of your race's vessels. You do have to choose a specific race set though and that will dictate some of the parts you are allowed to use. I however did something I don't think the game was built to handle though, troopship/warship combos. My army pref showed in the name though. I called that class the Battlebarge. ;D

These had nowhere near the weapons and armour of my defenders but they had legs and were cheap to produce in bulk. So much so that my warship count quadrupled in a couple turns after war mobilization. Two or three could take a system, then move right away to making orbital landing of my heavily armed and armoured troops. I'd lose one or two as you always do in landing troopships but the assault went so fast on so many fronts it caught them flat footed till there was a major showdown over their homeworld.
Spiritbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Jun 2010, 02:55   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Damn I might have to pick this up... I love games that last forever. I editted civ4 so that it takes multiple hundreds of turns for each technology.

Although this would be a serious setback to my painting!

USAFTACP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Jun 2010, 05:29   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Spiritbw

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFTACP
Damn I might have to pick this up... I love games that last forever. I editted civ4 so that it takes multiple hundreds of turns for each technology.

YEah, these can be seriously long games without even the new super huge galaxies. ONe I finally went on the warpath just to force an end to things as I started getting bored.
Spiritbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Jun 2010, 10:18   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritbw
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFTACP

YEah, these can be seriously long games without even the new super huge galaxies. ONe I finally went on the warpath just to force an end to things as I started getting bored.
Not sure boredom's gonna be an issue, the Cult will probably wipe me out first and my defeat will be horrifically public

You may call me Circus.
Old 04 Jun 2010, 11:58   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Galactic Civilisations II: A Circus blog. Parts I-IV

Part IV: A Shadow War

We begin this session with me still as the least powerful civilisation, and that's even with the Dominion of Korx and the Altarian Resistance - two new races I just met - on the scene. And immediately after returning to duty, one of the planets the Cult colonised in my space - my "Mars", the shitty planet that's in my home system - rebels, and joins up with the Great Nicotinan Union. This is a good thing, but at this point I know that the war has begun. Out-and-out conflict is inevitable, but for the moment we begin an influence war - I start building starbases on the edge of my territory and within Cult territory (we are that close together) with the intent of broadcasting my ways to them, in the hope that they rebel. The Cult has both the strongest military and the strongest economy, so it probably isn't wise to antagonise them, but if I don't do something then the war will come sooner rather than later. So I press forth with influence.

We have a brief council meeting, and I discover that I carry the most political clout. This is a combination of my outright population, my diplomacy skill and my far-reaching influence. This is a good thing, as while it's not enough of a majority to confirm a win it is very sizeable and will aid my cause greatly if there are significant issues in the Council. This time, however, we're only wondering whether we should restrict survey vessels. I submit that we shouldn't. The motion passes.

I can see a Cult warship orbitting one of their planets in my territory, so I have a peak at it to discover their focus. They are beam weaponry folks - their guns are all lasers, and their defences are all against lasers. This means I'll need weaponry that isn't beams, and defences against beams. I deal with two issues at once, and trade techs with the Cult (No idea how I got them to agree!) to gain their shield technology, whilst simultaneously directing my research towards torpedoes. Hopefully the techs I gave them will make them view me in a better light, and make them less likely to attack for a while. Right after this happens, the Cult tells me they've declared war on the Iconians, and ask if I want to help them out! They're still hostile towards me, though, and while attacking the Iconians may make them more favourably disposed towards me, I can't afford a war right now - not when I'm preparing for the inevitable conflict with the cult. To lend credence to my fears, I receive communications from the Arcean Empire telling me they are worried about the growing power of the Cult of Cthulhu - but they won't do anything about it. And right after that, I receive a freighter from the Cult. Hmm. Maybe this won't go so badly after all.

Remember Reaper, the planet with all the manufacturing bonuses that the Cult wanted to take from me? Well, it's become the lynchpin of my shadow war strategy. It can churn out a construction ship every two turns, and I'm establishing Influence Starbases in Cult territory. They're undefended at this stage, but I have time. I plan to research bigger ships, and Reaper will be my traditional war front when war breaks out too - as if it can produce construction vessels so fast, it can produce military ships just as fast.

I meet the Drengin, finally, a militaristic race who tend to be quite aggressive. They seem okay, but their military pales next to the Cult's. I trade some tech with the Cult again to keep them happy, and get some faster engines out of the bargain. Then comes another moral choice - there's a theme park on my home world that's so exciting it makes people's hearts explode. Well, I figure a bit of excitement is good, so I market it further and get a morale boost. Apparently that's the evil option.

A quick check of the galactic influence powers places me well ahead of every other race except one. Wonder which race that is? You're right, it's the Cult. I'm still ahead, but it may not stay that way.

Either way, my production capacity is at 100%, my empire's making a ton of money, so I drop taxes and increase my approval rating. This means that the other cultures will see how great my empire is, and be more likely to defect. The plan is to get a few of the Cult's planets onside with the drug culture, forgoing their eldritch abomination worshipping ways, before the war comes. If it even does. I may be able to keep this at the shadow level, especially if the Cult is occupied with other matters, like their war with the Iconians and the rise of the Drengin.

I'm living on a knife edge. And I'm not sure how long I can balance on it.

You may call me Circus.