Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Fishy's RPG Related Ramblings
Old 02 Jun 2010, 20:26   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Fishy's RPG Related Ramblings

So as many of you may know, the locals have recently become rather involved in a number of RPGs, mostly D&D related. It's gotten to the point where up to 3 seperate campaigns have gone on simulataneously and I fill pages of chat with my tales of chopping up critters and having to prevent catastrophic idiocy from the rest of the party. Hence this thread. My babblings should hopefully now be concentrated here for convenience.

Anywho, we managed to get a session in last night. For those who didn't catch my last RPG related ramble, our D&D party recently fought a Mind Flayer by the name of "Nero" during an attempt to escape some alternate evil reality we had been sucked into. Turns out the t'auk'cka doesn't die too easily as on our way to a portal that would supposedly transport us out of that realm he popped up yet again. This time, the t'auk'cka goes and stuns the majority of the party, then convinces our Barbarian to clonk me in the head. Oh and he hit us with a fireball, finally living up to his name. Then the whole thing got really odd. It seems that our Bard managed to improvise up a tune somewhere on the "Stairway to Heaven" level of epic as she basically managed to get the damn thing to stand around doing nothing for the rest of the fight. Oh and also stop the nutbar next to me from damn well hitting me with his axe. That was kinda important. She recieved the "Emperor's Personal Thumbs Up" for that. The DM was literally cringing as he failed save after save and his beloved creation stood around looking stupid.

Oh, and this time we made sure to burn the corpse to ashes.

I'm noticing that his creations are gettin more and more insidious. Where before we were simply dealing with giant beatstick type monsters, we're now running into a more mind effects and poisons and whatnot. Oh and fiendish magical puzzle box traps that blind people. Thus far we've managed to get through this with a combination of luck and the LEROY JENKINS! tactic actually working for some odd reason, although I kinda dread what'll happen when that runs out.
I'd hate to get on his bad side... >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Fish Ead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Jun 2010, 21:11   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Fishy's RPG Related Ramblings

Hehehee...

Just wait till your DM thinks about setting up some Rube Goldberg Machine traps that litterally chew your party to bits...

There are many 'disgusting' ways a DM can piss a group about. I know myself from running a couple, to be honest psionics and 'charm' related magics aren't the worse. The most annoying things are placing cursed items in the big treasure haul that aren't obviously cursed, or attacking your favorite NPC and drawing you into a plot line that destroys everything you thought was good.

But then, the best games do that in my opinion. So long as you never cheat, so long as you give your players every opportunity you give them its cool. If they are smart you will start to see them think things through much better.

But well...This thread might be best suited elsewhere, and Gen has had a few so it probally don't match sense that much.

Gen
Genmotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Jun 2010, 22:24   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

True, I imagine there are probably some more fiendish ways to screw with our party, but alot of the people playing are fairly new. Hell, even I've only been through a few campaigns. I was just kinda remarking on how it seems that we're being presented with a bit more of a challenge than "CHOP IT TO BITS!"

I figured I'd put the thread here as the actual Serious Roleplay board is mostly actual RP threads.
Quote:
Old 05 Jun 2010, 11:24   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Deck of Many things. That magic item will **** a party up quick.

Good Trades With
TraceofToxin 1

Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.

Lord Scythican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Jun 2010, 14:45   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Ravager

Seeing this reminds of some random but maybe useful stuff from tvtropes.

Such as the livable emergency escape bag of holding (which was transformed into a jungle/tropical island by the pet monkey the party put in there), and the coat of many doors, used to bypass every locked and trapped door in the game. Oh, and giving the barbarian improvised weapon: medium humanoid, for when someone ran out of weapons…

We have done the impossible... and that makes us mighty.
Firefly is pretty much made of Awesome, Funny, and Aww. Sometimes simultaneously. We'd better stop before we quote the entire script.
–tvtropes.org
Ravager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Jun 2010, 14:46   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Spiritbw

Just wait till your "chop'em to bits!" party runs into a rust monster. >

The group I always played with ahd a rather fine amount of daring do and a talent for doing the thing the GM least expected. Poor Orcs, the shaman really didn't expect to have us take down his wall of blades spell by pushing him into said wall.

Oh, and if your DM starts muttering things about Grimtooth: worry.
Spiritbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Jun 2010, 19:21   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Another session last night. Things got VERY interesting.

So we returned from the other plane we had been sucked into to find that it was now winter. Hmmm... That's a sudden change in seasons. So we return to the castle of the king who we've been dealing with. Well, that's odd, there's nothing there. So we seek out the nearest town to ask a few questions.

At that point our barbarian goes batshit mental. The bracers he had found earlier in the campaign turned out to be sentient, and it appears that the voices told him to kill. So, he randomly butchered an entire town with myself and the cleric chasing him bellowing to knock it off. Unfortunately it was just about impossible for us to catch and tackle the loon as we were both wearing plate mail. The rest of the party (being a bunch of filthy neutrals) decided they wanted no part in it and hid in the woods until he was done. I eventually catch up with him once he was done killing the town and demand an explanation. Then roll a 1 on the Sense Motive check when he tries to lie his way out. So the bodies got buried and the whole thing swept under the rug, the barbarian somehow weaseling his way out of my fanatical maniac burning him alive.

So we try another town, his time telling the barbarian to wait in the woods in case he goes loco again. The bard ferrets out the info we need in the local tavern while myself and the cleric preach to the masses. Apparently, we accidentally went 500 years back in time to an age where the land was ruled by a pair of tyrants. My character has begun referring to the time we're in as the Age of Apostasy. As M. Night Shamalon would say: "WHAT A TWIST!"

Oh and apparently I managed to found the church of the Emperor with my ramblings (I rolled a natural 20). TAKE THAT SPACE TIME CONTINIUM!

So I'm still standing on my soapbox, shouting the word of the Emperor to the masses when a group of 5 goons show up and demand we cease our "heretical" preachings. That was all the excuse I needed, so defnding both my own honour, and that of the Emperor I charged at them, inciting the mob to do the same. Unfortunately they proved of weak backbone and merely parted to give me a clear path. Rest of the part joined in, including the barbarian, and the 5 were butchered in short order (despite being full lvl 6 characters I had actually helped the DM write up earlier).

So that's all said and done. Some time goes by... blah blah blah. At about this point, the Barbarian has an outbreak of conscience and requests that we kill him for what he did to the town and eventually tries to attack us in order to force the issue. Bard tells him to "stay" and he sits there. Not bad timing either as we really wouldn't have wanted him trying to kill us when "Icon, Champion of Khorne" showed up.

Some seriously wierd magical shit starts going on. This guy is wearing identical bracers to our barbarian and armour to match. In fact, the ones our party member was wearing begin to speak, revealing that they are in fact one and the same as the ones worn by Icon. So we go to work, me wanting to purge the abomination from existence, the rogue wanting to plunder the corpse, the wizardy folks trying not to to have their limbs removed and the Barbarian... Well, he just likes to hit things. Oh and my Smite Evil attack failed miserably yet again. This time the DM gave our opponent a tower shield and he took great joy in thwarting me with it*

So we kill Icon, and our Barbarian's bracers mysteriously fall off. At this point I start bellowing to the party not to touch either pair of armbands or Icon's armour as they've been revealed to be just about concentrated evil. And for once (likely tired of our barbarian going nuts) they actually listen to my fantatical bellowings. We burned Icon's body and eventually the party managed to move the cursed items into a portable hole, although I shall be demanding we make a stopover at the nearest active volcano so we can dispose of them more thoroughly.

Some nice shiny stuff gets handed out. As Icon apparently slaughtered another party on his way into the town. The Bard now has an actual Vorpal weapon (yes seriously, the bard), the Cleric got a mace that ignores any armour people are wearing when rolling to hit and my armour developed a +2 bonus to all saves, which is crazy as I now have something like a +14 Fortitude save.

*Tower shields have caused our DM quite a bit of frustration thus far. He allowed my character to start with one and much to his chagrin, during what was supposed to be a challenging fight to start us off I was making something like 75% of my rolls for the damn thing's miss chance. So I basically kept half the monsters we were fighting busy for the majority of the fight. Eventually we fought a Grey Render. It scores a critical with it's bite on me and... plink! The DM actually made it tear the shield out of my hand and spit it into the trees, essentially saying "That's it! Let's see you fight without that damn thing!" I asked him later an, yes, Icon's shield was a delibrate move to make the party experience some of his pain.
Quote:
Old 07 Jun 2010, 17:13   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

A rather interesting and quite comedic situation yesterday. The first bit can be summed up as follows.

I woke up with a clown's hand in my pants... That's what I did today.

Just as the sun was rising and my character waking up there was a voice in my ear saying: "I took cocaine". Yes, Dr. Rockso from Metalocalypse actually made an appearance in a D&D camapaign. So he tried to run off with my gold, but the bard eventually beheaded him with her shiny new vorpal weapon and I think the Barbarian took his ridiculous jumpsuit for the lolz.

So, once that bit of silliness had occured and we got on with the campaign we ran into a bunch of ooze. The rogue managed to get caught in one, and it actually turned out that we were surrounded by the damn things. For a while, people attempted ludicrous solutions like climbing trees to avoid them, but eventually realized that my plan of "SCOURGE AND PURGE!" was the best one. So we reduced the oozes to little more than slime, our monk nearly dying in the process as the acid damage from hitting the things with his demented number of attacks added up to... well bad news.

At that point a discovery was made that will likely change the face of the D&D universe. Our sorcerer, with his skills in alchemy discovered that when rendered down correctly, the remnants of a slain ooze could be made into fine white powder matching one that Dr Rockso was carrying. Yes, we actually invented cocaine. Much of the next lil hour or so of playing actually involved a portion of the party setting up a drug deal with local merchants. Oh and the Cleric's church is now involved in drug trafficing.

My character, despite the party's fears to the contrary actually proved alright with the idea of them dealing in this drug "as long as they dealt honourably". Seems a lil wierd for a Paladin, but remember, this guy is modelled on the Redeemer, so he probably sees it in a similar light to Slaught. Bunch of crazy followers going all Tony Montana before butchering a few heretics is alright by him.

And that wasn't the end of the comedy. I rolled shitty on a few will saves. For what you ask? The bard actually attempted to seduce my character! And like I said, I rolled shitty on my will saves. So yes, the Pally got laid. I figured that while he may not be bound quite as strictly as the cleric in this matter, he would be required to act honourably in the matter. So while the rest of the party doesn't know exactly what's going on, they've noticed that for some reason my character is being unusually protective of the bard of late.

So we eventually got back to fighting after all the gigitty and shady underworld dealings. Fought a purple worm. Unfortuantely I didn't have a huge part in that one, as the damn thing swallowed me, although that did give me a chance to perform one of my imperial one liners following my escape.

"If a man dies so that another may live, that man shall eat at the Emperor's table, but my invitation to dinner has not yet come".

Hilariously, there was a bit of a change of venue for this one, to a house that actually had a wide selection of models to use, largely to demonstrate our party's marching order. So we had a number of things representing chracters, from mystics to an ogre ninja to a female commissar. And, of course, I managed to dig out the actual Redeemer model. Naturally, this caused some astonishment in those not versed in 40k as I seemed to have randomly found the absolute perfect model to represent my character!
Quote:
Old 10 Jun 2010, 06:09   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Scythican
Deck of Many things. That magic item will y'xa'uk a party up quick.
There was a nice/evil trick to this from another forum. Pretty much you had people pay you (the adventurers) 100 GP to draw a card. If it was a nice item, you stole/killed for it. If it was a bad result... Tough shtlk. On the exp result, you congratulated them and went on your way.

People did point out that it was likely such widely known evil actions over an artifact would be cause for an endless swarm of goodies coming after you and evil people trying to get it for themselves. Keep it low key though and you could have a gravy train. >

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jun 2010, 19:59   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Well, we were back in action last night, and despite all the nonsense that's gone on, the party still hasn't self destructed.

I wish, I wish I hadn't killed that fish

I think that makes a pretty good tagline for our eventual success in returning to our time. Turns out there was another portal that could do just that. Bad news is it was basically inside the capital of a kingdom ruled by a very paranoid and oppressive pair of rulers.

So we briefly manage to get inside, but, apart from a few who managed to slink away, get thrown out soon after. Apparently they don't like people causing the ruckus in the marketplace by shouting the word of the Emperor. Who'd have thunk it?

So that basically led to me taking an hour long time out while the people in our group without braziers on their heads tried to scope out the portal, with some success. Unfortunately, the guy who actually knew how to operate the dang things was stuck outside with me trying to contruct a trojan rabbit of some sort.

Eventually the others come back out of the town and link up with us (the rabbit scheme proving entirely unsuccessful). We find out that the reason they're so paranoid is that some other kingdom keeps sending waves of magically directed monsters at them.

So we wait for the next attack, which happens to take the form of a swarm of these eyeless green flying things which proceed to pretty badly wreck the city. So in the confusion we manage to slip inside and get to the portal.

Of course the two rulers are using it to try and make their escape. And of course they're not inclined toward diplomacy. Right... Hack and Slash time.

So we get to chopping these guys up, who actually turn out to be some kind of evil cat people from a parallel universe in disguise. I pull of a rather specatucular bull rush trick to get rid of one of them before they start stunning the party one by one, eventually getting to the point where we only had 1 or 2 active party members at a time. Fortunately, we managed to get a silence spell off which screwed with their ability to do this. Oh yeah, and me actually hitting with my smite attack kinda helped.

So we manage to use the portal to get back to our own time. And this is where the tagline kicks in. Remember how our cleric set up a cocaine smuggling ring through his church? It seems to have made them quite powerful, but the world seems incredibly militarized and almost as oppressive as the one ruled by the Slider cats. We didn't get much of a chance to go further into this as it was about 2am by this point, so we went and chopped a hydra to bits to end the night off. Oh and our bard now has pet pseudodragon.

So yeah, not quite the insane amount of foolishness that occured in the previous session, although for some reason my Pally seems to get about as much action as Glen Quagmire, which is causing quite a bit of laughter.

Tomorrow a seperate Star Wars based campaign is supposed to get up and running, which should be awesome. We actually get to be bloody Sith. I think I'm gonna have a lot of fun force kicking puppies with my evil Mon Calamari. I can't wait to say "It's a trap" while force pushing someone down an elevator shaft.
Quote: