Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Spiritbw's thread for education about superheros
Old 26 May 2010, 17:27   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Spiritbw
Default Spiritbw's thread for education about superheros

Right, Well we had a thread that was trying to put comic superheros to various members and mods but it hit a wall. We had widely diffrent ranges in knowledge of superheros. It rather limits such a discussion if you're only have a limited number of options to draw from so, let's get educated.

First off, there is a whole lot of heroes that have come and gone over the years. There has been an equal if not larger selection of villians as well. Knowing All of them is pretty much impossible, but it helps to at least know who the top names are in things. It doesn't help that there does tend to be some change as tastes or readers and the writers of the comics change over the years.
(to be continued possibly)

I expect this to be winding and wandering in the discussion of who is who and who can do what. Heck, best way to get started might be to ask who has what power and explore who they are.

EDIT: Might as well continue right now.

The biggest of the big names are those you just cannot escape. Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Spider-Man, Magneto, Wolverine, etc. These guys and gals show up in just about every form media and show up often. They have pretty much stood the test of time, being on top of the heap for one reason or another since they were created. I tend to think of these as the AAA ranked characters.

Next are characters that hold their own. They might not be on everyones lips but they show up often enough in enough media that people know who they are if there is even a small knowledge of comics. Aquaman, Green Lantern, the Flash, Iron Man, Hawk Man, etc. This rank can have a bit of flux so don't hold me to names in this ranking but let's call these the AA ranked characters.
Spiritbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2010, 18:26   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Spiritbw's thread for education about superheros

The "Hold their own" characters list can change quite frequently. Marvel is trying their best to put Iron Man to the top and DC is doing a very good job at putting Green Lantern up there as well.

For what it is worth, I should also mention that the newest issue of Iron Man (#25/Volume 5) is a landmark issue, in the fact that Tony Stark has been established as the most intelligent superhero in the marvel universe. He is now above Reed Richards and Victor Von Doom in power levels, (though I think the title should go to Xavier. He sits in a chair for most of his life and dresses his female students in tight clothing to accentuate their chests to which he is at eye level.)

Lastly, if there is only one comic series any of you read ever again, it should be "The Walking Dead". It is absolutely the best series ever, hands down.

Good Trades With
TraceofToxin 1

Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.

Lord Scythican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2010, 18:35   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Scythican
(though I think the title should go to Xavier. He sits in a chair for most of his life and dresses his female students in tight clothing to accentuate their chests to which he is at eye level.)
I'm gonna have to steal that bit. :P
I'd hate to get on his bad side... >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Fish Ead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2010, 18:46   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Yeah, there is quite a bit of competition to see who is the strongest, the fastest, the best telepath, etc. Has resulted in more than one match-up and odd ball situation to try and see who would win. For the record I think Tony, Richards and Doom would be the top picks for technical savvy in the Marvel universe.

That is one thing you should know seldom happens, cross universe battles. DC tends to stay DC and Marvel tends to stay Marvel with neither meeting the other unless the publishers get together, which to my knowledge only happend once or twice.

Old 26 May 2010, 18:49   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Ead
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Scythican
(though I think the title should go to Xavier. He sits in a chair for most of his life and dresses his female students in tight clothing to accentuate their chests to which he is at eye level.)
I'm gonna have to steal that bit. :P
I bet he secretly uses his mental powers to affect all of the owners of all the superhero costume shops to design appropriate outfits for all superheroes.

White Queen: "Put that away! Cerebro should not be used in such a way! I thought you were supposed to be in here tracking down Wolverine for the 111th time!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritbw
Yeah, there is quite a bit of competition to see who is the strongest, the fastest, the best telepath, etc. Has resulted in more than one match-up and odd ball situation to try and see who would win. For the record I think Tony, Richards and Doom would be the top picks for technical savvy in the Marvel universe.

That is one thing you should know seldom happens, cross universe battles. DC tends to stay DC and Marvel tends to stay Marvel with neither meeting the other unless the publishers get together, which to my knowledge only happend once or twice.
They do it once a decade I think. Last time they smashed heroes together. Hal Jorden and Tony Stark became the "Iron Lantern". Pretty damn cool if you ask me."

I think it was in the 80's that Hulk was established as the strongest character ever. Something to do with holding a mountain above his head.

Good Trades With
TraceofToxin 1

Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.

Old 26 May 2010, 20:04   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

I know that more recently he had been shown to be stronger than Juggernaut in a head to head shoving match.

I just realized I should explain about the eras while I'm thinking about it. The Eras are basically the periods when comics flourished and you wind up with new heroes and villians coming about. To my knowledge there are currently three Eras.

The Golden Era, which was pre-WWII which spawned many of DC's lineups. Not suprising, of the comic book publishers, DC is the oldest.

Next is the Silver Age, late 60s, early 70s which is when Marvel started up and of course, most of their lineup.

Last was the Bronze age, which was the 90s, which....well, it really wasn't that good for comics. We saw some new stuff, but revamps of most existing characters.

We also can't touch on this without mentioning the Comics Code Authority. Long and short. The CCA was a response to attention that was worried about the influence comics had on youth. They feared that the violence and gore and "Good Girl Art" would have a negative effect. Gee, that sounds familiar some how. Like it happened to other stuff that you all are probably well familiar with. Anyhow the CCA was a industry self regulatory code of what could and could not appear in comics. It killed many comics as many distributors refused to carry comics no approved by the CCA.

The CCA was revised then died(for the most part) eventually when in 1971 Stan Lee was asked to do a story about drug abuse by the Dept of Health, Education and Welfare. The code specifically said no narcotics even though the story was about how bad drugs were. Stan Lee decided to just publish the arc anyhow but took the CCA's seal off the comics. Further decisions eventually killed the code but it was along hard decline and more can be found through the link.
Old 26 May 2010, 20:09   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Location: That bitter taste in the back of your throat, the one kinda wrapped around your uvula that is all that's left of your Pride.

Well the Hulk has his strength based on Rage, where as the Juggernaught is unstoppable once he starts moving.

Although Onslaught did manage to bitchslap Juggernaught all the way across America.

But in terms of in univervse power, you have to go to the Galactic beings like Galactus, or the Celestians to find the most powerful ones. I mean one of the Celestians is 40'000 meters tall and kills planets populkations with a thought if they are judged as unworthy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shas'o Ahab
In parting, I've discovered why Farsight started his breakaway faction...
*Farsight looks at Dawn Blade* "Shiny..."*Farsight picks up Dawn Blade and looks around* "... let's be bad guys."
Quote:
Originally Posted by The man they call Waffles
Jayne you y'xa'uuk legend
The Man They Call Jayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2010, 20:54   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man They Call Jayne
But in terms of in univervse power, you have to go to the Galactic beings like Galactus, or the Celestians to find the most powerful ones. I mean one of the Celestians is 40'000 meters tall and kills planets populkations with a thought if they are judged as unworthy.
I think when they rate powerscales for like the smartest, strongest, etc. I think there are scales that they use to measure the characters. Hulk is considered the strongest physically, but there are characters that are stronger i.e. they are agumented in nonphysical ways. Apocalypse for example can increase his strength to levels surpassing that of the Hulk. Each of the cosmic beings, and many on the same power levels have something to help them. If you factor everything into the debate (cosmic powers, gifts from Cyttorak), The character called The One Above All is the best of everything. Rumor is TOAA is actually Stan Lee...

Good Trades With
TraceofToxin 1