Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Lost?
Old 25 May 2010, 10:53   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Lost?

Did you watch Lost? Did you like it? What do you think about the finale?

I loved Lost since the beginning. It's been a great series, cleverly done, full of misteries and sensational developments. But... but the finale was pathetic, a pile of melodramatic and sentimental scenes with a banal plot. In my opinion they showed us how to ruin a masterpiece.

What do you think?
Old 25 May 2010, 12:18   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Lost?

Probably should put a spoiler tag on this, but oh well. You shouldn’t be reading about the ending unless you want spoilers or you have watched it.

As for the ending, oh man don't even get my started on that. I fixed a nice supper last night, sat down, and prepared myself for the end. 2 hours after that crapfest was over, the wife and I were still bitching about it.
So let me get this straight:

You spend 5 seasons building up the mystery of the island and all of its secrets, constantly baiting and switching me, and then in the end you write it off as "nothing to see here, move along, the show really isn't about the island, it’s about the characters, it was a good life, everyone meets up in heaven, except for African-Americans (unless you are married to a Anglo-American),

Personally if they wanted to go with the whole Purgatory Waiting Room into Heaven bit, they should have at least made the island hell. I remember a long time ago, the theory was that they all actually died in the planecrash. It would have made the weirdness of the island better, but instead that was real. The island was real, had stuff the writers didn't care to explain, because the opted to make the show about the characters during the last season.

If anyone hasn’t seen the show, it is good up to season four I think. Watch it to the point where the island disappears and a few of them make it back to the states. The characters left on the island that everyone was worried about, (like the 50+ people who apparently disappeared during the time travel bit), are not really referred to anyone anyways.). Jack and crew go back to the island just to mess it up, kill smokey, and then die themselves, all because Jacob decided one of them had to be his successor.

I have loads more to bitch about, but that is enough for now.

Good Trades With
TraceofToxin 1

Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.

Lord Scythican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2010, 13:46   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to coolmule

I clocked the purgatory thing in season one, when my art teacher pointed out some reference or other (Iforget which) to Paradise Lost. I thought they'd abandoned it when they extended the series, so I stopped watching 'cos it started to descend into random made-up-by-the-writers-on-the-spot stuff every week. Apparantly it picked up after the third series though.
Old 25 May 2010, 14:44   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmule
I clocked the purgatory thing in season one, when my art teacher pointed out some reference or other (Iforget which) to Paradise Lost. I thought they'd abandoned it when they extended the series, so I stopped watching 'cos it started to descend into random made-up-by-the-writers-on-the-spot stuff every week. Apparantly it picked up after the third series though.
Now keep in mind, the island was real. It wasn't purgatory. The purgatory stuff was only in season 6. It has been referred to as the sideways flashes, where everyone has a different life and the plane does not crash. However the different life seems to have nothing to do with the plane not crashing. Sawyer is a cop for instance and Jack is married to Julliette with a Kid.

These scenes are the purgatory stuff. Everything else was real.

Good Trades With
TraceofToxin 1

Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.

Old 25 May 2010, 15:17   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Location: In my secret lair plotting forum domination....hehe
Send a message via MSN to Tau-killer

For me, Lost is one of those shows which exasperates and thrills me at the same time. On the one hand, it's tremendous fun! Who cares about the inconsistencies and the needless obfuscation! Just sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride!

The problem of course, is that I do happen to care about the inconsistencies and the needless obfuscation!

Now, those of you who know what my avatar is, will know that I am a great fan of the Science Fiction TV series, Babylon 5, which aired around fifteen years ago, back in the mid 90's. Now that show was one of the first (by no means the first, but one of the first) to not only introduce the concept of season arcs, but to actually do it well! In the case of the said show, its creator always had a five year story in mind which he wanted to tell and was going to tell. And since he knew from day 1 exactly where he wanted to go with the story, he was able to tell a gripping, epic and (most importantly!) consistent story, where the people developed meaningfully and coherently as characters, and where the underlying plot always made coherent sense! And no mystery was ever set up which couldn't be satisfactorily explained later down the road.

To date, I have only seen one other show which bettered what Babylon 5 did, and that show was the first season of Heroes. Now that season has to be one of the best pieces of television drama I have ever seen, and it can be no coincidence that the whole thing was all carefully planned out long before the first episode aired! This allowed for a fiendishly complicated (yet perfectly consistent) plot, fascinating and well developed characters, and a thrilling finale which the whole season had been carefully leading up to.

But then Heroes descended into the same silliness which Lost always dabbled in from the very start - and even much more so in the latest couple of seasons: Inconsistent characters who only do things because 'the plot needs them to' and not because it actually makes sense for them to do so! Random made-up-by-the-writers-on-the-spot stuff every week (I can't improve on your wording, Coolmule) which is an absolute pet hate of mine! And a plot and characters driven solely by what the creators think the audience want to see, rather than the story they want to tell. It may be democratic, but it's also shallow and makes for rubbish story telling! And endless blasted mysteries every episode. Mystery after mystery after mystery, all of which shrouded in impenetrable obfuscation, whose only purpose is clearly to hide the fact that even the writers don't have a clue what's going on! Furthermore, you know all along that the creators can never possibly resolve all those mysteries, since you know that even God himself would struggle to close all those loopholes without tearing a hole in the fabric of reality!

So, after that long rant, you might think that I hate Lost. I don't! Not really. I hate Heroes from season 2 onwards, but I don't hate Lost. As I said above, it's always been terrifically entertaining, even if completely balmy! But in terms of great storytelling, I think there's far better out there!
Old 25 May 2010, 15:43   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I think the main problem with Heroes was the writer's strike. They finally got that show back on track. All that crap from season 3 is not even referred to now.

Good Trades With
TraceofToxin 1

Old 25 May 2010, 16:47   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

Series finale was epic. Explained everthing it needed to, whilst leaving enough mystery to leave you satisfied.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2010, 13:14   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe
Series finale was epic. Explained everthing it needed to, whilst leaving enough mystery to leave you satisfied.
I have noticed that about the series finale. It has been 50/50 in the reviews. People either loved it or hated it. I guess I can understand why a lot of people might like it. I just wish the mystery of the island was dealt with a little more. They spent 5 seasons building that part up, just to half ass it in the end. But in a way that is how the show has always been. For every question answered, there was always 10 new ones.

For me, I preferred the stuff about the hatch, the numbers, the statue, and people going back in forth in time. When the end wrote it off as that stuff didn't matter and it was all about the people and the life they made together, that is when I got upset.

Good Trades With
TraceofToxin 1

Old 26 May 2010, 14:58   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

It wasn't written off as irrelevant, there was enough clues to piece togethor what the island was.

The why is something different, and I don't think we need to know. There has to be a little mystery left for people to think about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2010, 16:36   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe
It wasn't written off as irrelevant, there were enough clues to piece together what the island was.

The why is something different, and I don't think we need to know. There has to be a little mystery left for people to think about.
Well not irrelevant, but less of an issue than it was in the previous 5 seasons and that is what I am bitching about.

I don't mind leaving some mystery; it’s just that I watched this show for different reasons than a happy ending for the characters. A lot of people believe that the show was about the characters from the beginning and the island and all of its mysteries were just a backdrop. I am just part of the other crowd I guess.

All in all I liked the ending, but I think it was used too soon. I wanted some answers to minor questions but they could have taken care of those during this season or with an additional season. THIS final episode was entirely appropriate as it addressed the heart of the show, but for people like me who liked the show for things besides the characters…well you can’t help but feel left down.

Even if I am ok with the finale (Just not the timing), I still find the finale unfulfilling in other ways, because they revealed that the flash sideways story went nowhere and didn’t contribute to the plot. If they were all dead, then who gives a shtlk what they had to ‘overcome’ to achieve whatever that bogus consciousness was. It was lazy and a cheat that the sideways world didn’t inform the Island story, which was, after all, what some people believe that lost was about.

Having Christian give a ten minute soliloquy was ridiculous. Just because Christian says to Jack, it all mattered, etc. doesn’t make it so, any more than me saying, “Sawyer wasn’t really bad a**” doesn’t change the fact that he was. The truth of it is, Christian’s speech to Jack underscored the weakness of their story telling in this episode. You don’t tell a story through exposition unless you can help it.

I would have liked the ending if my reasons for watching the show were addressed a little more. All it would have taken is a few more episodes like Ab Aternato & Across the Sea that explained clearly Black Rock and Adam & Eve Skeleton.

There were lots of unanswered questions that were simply shoved off. Charles Witmore was such an important character, but just like that he was insignificant to the writers. It was vague how he find the island and what did he whisper to MiB. Sure it was probably “If Desmond goes in the stream we all die.” I can figure that out, but I think the character deserved more.

Walt was important in season 1 then he was gone. No mention why the Others wanted him. Why Shannon saw him? But most of all Charlie asked, “Where are we?” That was stressed so much, and it was really never resolved (in an appropriate way). The Flash Sideways wasted a lot of real time that could have focused more on what happened in the island.

For what it’s worth, I really do not disagree with someone who liked the way the show ended. I understand why a lot of people would be happy with the ending. Actually the more I sleep on it, the more I like it. I am not getting my answers so I might as well get over it.

Good Trades With
TraceofToxin 1