Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

TOEFL....I will break you down!
Old 21 May 2010, 15:08   #1 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default TOEFL....I will break you down!

Tomorrow is the day.....the TOEFL day a.k.a T-day for me. I would be taking this as a step in realizing my goal of getting into the United States by January 2011.

I am scared, but I am also quite optimistic that I could do it. Break a leg, as they would say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
crisis_vyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2010, 15:24   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Grandpa Ducky Send a message via Yahoo to Grandpa Ducky
Default Re: TOEFL....I will break you down!

From years of reading your posts, chatting with you on chat, and the few conversations we had via Skype back in the day, I'd say you're going to ace this thing. Good luck!

Grandpa Ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2010, 18:45   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

All your base are belong to us!
Old 21 May 2010, 19:03   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Skeith

Good luck CV.
Skeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2010, 19:05   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Yeah good luck!
Old 21 May 2010, 19:08   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis_Vyper
Tomorrow is the day.....the TOEFL day a.k.a T-day for me. I will be taking this as a step in realizing my goal of getting into the United States by January 2011.

I am scared, but I am also quite optimistic that I can do it. Break a leg, as they would say.
Fixed. You get a A-

When will you get your results back?

Good Luck with the test too! I hope you pass it with a perfect score.

Also do you have any questions you want to ask us before you take the test?

Make sure you do not leave anything blank. In addition, if you have a practice CD for the listening section, make sure you practice each part by listening to it only one time and then giving your answer. On the real test you will only hear everything once. You have to train your ears to listen fully the first time.

On the speaking section, it is okay to hesitate for a moment or two when it is time to respond. However, it is best to fill as much of the time as possible with your response. If you have a few extra seconds you can sum things up in a short conclusion. You will lose marks for poor pronunciation, so don't try to use big words that you can't say properly. You will also lose marks for improper use of vocabulary and idioms.

Good Trades With
TraceofToxin 1

Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.

Lord Scythican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2010, 05:40   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Taken my TOEFL, and out from the gutter. IN a way the paper is fine, but weird.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Scythican
Fixed. You get a A-
Awwww......thanks a lot Scythian.

Quote:
When will you get your results back?
Around 15 working days apparently.

Quote:
Also do you have any questions you want to ask us before you take the test?
Nope, not really.

Quote:
Make sure you do not leave anything blank. In addition, if you have a practice CD for the listening section, make sure you practice each part by listening to it only one time and then giving your answer. On the real test you will only hear everything once. You have to train your ears to listen fully the first time.

On the speaking section, it is okay to hesitate for a moment or two when it is time to respond. However, it is best to fill as much of the time as possible with your response. If you have a few extra seconds you can sum things up in a short conclusion. You will lose marks for poor pronunciation, so don't try to use big words that you can't say properly. You will also lose marks for improper use of vocabulary and idioms.
Yeah, I decided to use simple words to explain my concepts instead. But sometimes the question give complicated words and I got to say those words.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
Old 24 May 2010, 21:23   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

[quote=Crisis_Vyper]
Awwww......thanks a lot Scythian. [quote]

Happy to help even in a small way. I hope you did good on it. Let us know what your results are when you get them in a few weeks. Honestly I would have never known English was not your primary language, if you had not posted this topic. Because of that I bet you passed with distinction.

Good Trades With
TraceofToxin 1

Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.

Old 24 May 2010, 22:17   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Happy to help even in a small way. I hope you did good on it. Let us know what your results are when you get them in a few weeks. Honestly I would have never known English was not your primary language, if you had not posted this topic. Because of that I bet you passed with distinction.
Well, the Americans think that due to my country of citizenship, I am just a damn rural hippy from Asia. I speak Cantonese and Malay as well, just for the other languages I do speak frequently but English is my main language of communication.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
Old 24 May 2010, 23:03   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis_Vyper
Quote:
Well, the Americans think that due to my country of citizenship, I am just a damn rural hippy from Asia. I speak Cantonese and Malay as well, just for the other languages I do speak frequently but English is my main language of communication.
Well if it is your main language then I bet you did very well on your test. I wish I could pick up a second langauge myself but unless I travel I will never have a use for it. I can drive 1000 km in one direction and will still only need English. I picked up a copy of Rosetta Stone (German) last year. Plan on sinking some time into it some more, but I really wish I knew someone who spoke the langauge.

If I did learn a second Language it would probably have to be Spanish though. I work in the public school system, so if I ever transfer to another region I bet I could get a lot of use out of it.

Good Trades With
TraceofToxin 1