Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Masks
Old 20 May 2010, 15:57   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Circus Freak
Default Masks

As some may have seen on Facebook, I recently finally decided what I want my back tattoo to be. And what I have decided on is a collage of masks - all kinds of masks, so long as they're awesome enough.

Now I've got a few images/ideas (see the Spoiler box), but I'd be very grateful for any input as I am well aware that I do not know everything about everything () and some people may have seen some fantastic masks around that I've not seen, so if you have any ideas then please shout them out =)

Also, the individual meaning behind a specific mask isn't important. I know that might sound strange coming from me - as all my tattoos have meaning - but the fact of the mask itself is meaning enough. That's where I'm coming from for this piece.

As far as these images go, remember I'll just be using the mask - if anything else features in the image (for example, the Skull Kid on the Majora's Mask image) it shall be ignored. With respect to that particular one, I chose that image because it seems grittier than the standard Majora's Mask logo - either way, a new image will need to be drawn up.

[spoiler=Masks so far]

(I think I could do with a better image of Joey's mask to work from than this one tbh =/)
[/spoiler]

So... ideas? Thoughts?

Note: I am well aware that there are five members of Slipknot missing from the images I provide, as well as the fact that over the years there are MANY other masks I could draw from that particular band. Much as I love Slipknot (and I do), I don't want it to become a "Slipknot tattoo." So please don't suggest any other Slipknot masks unless you think a particular one is really that cool and simply must be included. Because I may have just forgotten it :P
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Circus Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2010, 16:03   #2 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen
Default Re: Masks

Tuxedo Mask!
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2010, 16:04   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to coolmule

What angle do you want the masks to be drawn from? It might be hard to make the long nose from that slipknot mask look good.

Have you considered the mask from The Mask?
Old 20 May 2010, 16:08   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmule
What angle do you want the masks to be drawn from? It might be hard to make the long nose from that slipknot mask look good.
It depends on the individual mask. I'd like the eyes on most (if not all) to be looking at you when you look at it, but I know that might be quite tricky. Chris's mask (the long nose one) may end up having to be done from the side, at least slightly, for the best effect, but with a decent artist they should be able to shade the depth in from any angle.

Quote:
Have you considered the mask from The Mask?
In its wood form, yes, I have, absolutely. In its green "LOL!" form... less so.
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Old 20 May 2010, 16:21   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Well, I could hardly NOT show up in a topic named as such, could I?

I've always been partial to masks that don't fully cover your face. In fact, the inspiration for my nom de plume was the Phantom of the Opera's demi-mask (as well as the traditional twin masks of tragedy and comedy). In fact, I experimented quite a bit with masks cut at various angles for a Theatre Studies project several years ago; I thought that a 45 degree cut on a plain white mask looked quite remarkable and unique.

Another couple of masks that I've liked the look of in recent years, and actually wanted to replicate on miniatures some day, were the masks shown in the Inquisitor rulebook, on the Awareness page and the Grenades and Explosives page; they both have exceptionally long noses and I thought they looked rather... different.

Something funny that I've come across recently, at my local supermarket here in Japan (which my girlfriend describes as "Wal*Mart on crack") are balaclavas with mask patterns printed on them. Some simple things like wrestler masks (which may be an interesting source for you to look at) but also one that looked like a pirate - and it only had one eyehole because the other had an 'eyepatch' over it! If you like, I'll see if I can find it again and take a photo of it.

Have you considered any superhero masks? There are, of course, the traditional ones like Batman or Captain America, but less conventional ones like The Shadow or Rorschach might also be worth looking into.

Hope this helps!
[hr]
Masked Thespian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2010, 16:39   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

The conventional superheroes I'm less into, but Rorschach is a definite possibility. I just realised I forgot some very important ones - Comedy and Tragedy would of course feature. And there was another, that I've promptly forgotten again... with any luck someone will say "Circus, what about XXX?" because it's very me (I remember that much!) and it's annoying that I've forgotten it =P

I think I know the masks you mean in the Inquisitor rulebook, I plan on one like that too =P

You may call me Circus.
Old 20 May 2010, 17:21   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

You may not like the source material for these masks...

Ho hum, that's all.
That's what the new Space Marine codex relates to. Grilled puppies.

Thanks to JD for the awesome siggy
Tim the Tau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2010, 18:01   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Chton

Man...you truly are a Circus...

Some suggestions/source material (depends on if you are as huge a nerd as I am...)

M.A.S.K.

Cobra Commander

Destro

Optimus Prime

...yeah...I was raised by the 80s...

Edit: Oh, and maybe the mask (or rather the facepaint) of Brandon Lee in "The Crow"?

Edit x2: Maybe something like a Samurai facemask?

Black Plague mask

Something Viking-helmet-ish?

Chton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2010, 19:50   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Whoa Winter, I didn't see your edit until just now when I was looking back over the thread - the Samurai one and ESPECIALLY the Plague Doctor one are a LOT more like it ^_^

I'd thought about the Plague Doctor one - it's ****ing scary - and of course I'd considered just a flat out gas mask. Something in the way of the grinning harlequin masks from 40k (i.e. the Great Harlequin) will also be in order.

It's hopefully gonna be a heck of a piece =D

You may call me Circus.
Old 29 May 2010, 20:48   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to coolmule

Is Zorro going to get some love?