Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Common Misconceptions About Americans
Closed Thread
Old 20 May 2010, 14:57   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Common Misconceptions About Americans

While we are at, what about some other misconceptions?

Misconceptions about Americans

1. They all speak in a rural, southern twang or canniblized the English Language beyond recognition. “Y'all taaawk real funnay!!!” “Dejeat Yet? Yount too?”

2. All Americans own guns.

3. Americans think that the USA is the best country on earth.

4. Americans think that everyone else in the world wants to live in America.

5. All Americans are fat. North America is fitness oriented now. And then there is the "Image" factor which is based on Hollywood. Only about a third of Americans are fat. The rest of them are too busy exercising their butts off in the belief that if they stay super-duper-extra fit, they can stave off death. Forever.

6. America is full of crime and is a dangerous place.

7. If you get into a car wreck and don't have medical insurance, you are left outside to die. In reality if you're uninsured you're treated, billed, and then declared bankrupt.

8. Americans don't have the attention span for soccer. The problem is soccer doesn't leave room for ads

9. All food in the US is genetically modified and tasteless.

10. The only beer is Budweiser. The US Does have quite a lot of good beer, but these tend to be microbrews, not commercial macrobrews.

11. You can see America in a week or drive from Miami to Las Vegas in a few hours. Friends have happily told me their plans to have breakfast in San Francisco, lunch at Disneyland, and dinner at the Grand Canyon. They were floored when I showed them the map: their trip would mean driving 900 miles. California is roughly the size of Great Britain. There’s 3,000 miles between LA and New York, and of that, a thousand is desert and a thousand is corn.

12.Yankee is a blanket term for Americans. In the US, only northerners particularly from the northeast US are called Yankees. It's an insult to call a southerner a Yankee.

13. Americans do not want to learn other languages. Most would love to, but unless a US citizen travels overseas, there's no chance to use. Think of it: if each state in the US spoke a different language, then we'd probably wind up learning the ones closest to us. (Although we'll all wind up one day speaking Spanglish).

14. All Americans are the same. The differences between people from Maine, Texas, and California couldn't be more extreme. And the differences between people from Lake County California and Marin County California are pretty extreme too....

15. Americans are insular. – so few have passports. It’s true that roughly 11-15 percent of Americans have passports, compared to 80 percent of Brits. But that doesn’t mean they don’t travel. Not only is the USA huge, but until very recently, American citizens did not need passports to cross into most neighboring countries. An American could drive from Anchorage, Alaska, across thousands of miles of Canada, all the way down to Mexico, fly to Miami and from there to the Bahamas, all without showing a passport. On the other hand, if you’re Belgian, you need a passport to go to the corner bakery for a baguette.

16. Americans drive on the wrong side of the road. They don’t – they drive on the right, as do approximately half the drivers in the world. It just looks weird, because compared to the narrow lanes of Chipping Sodbury, American roads are so wide that container ships could pass each other without bumping. Which is good, considering the size of the average SUV on Los Angeles freeways.

17. Americans are those crazy people from the United States. Yeah I goofed when writing this list up bad. Should have Called it Misconceptions about Citizens of the United States. American is a citizen or attribute of one of the two nations of the Americas and made up of the following countries: Greenland (Denmark), Canada, The United States of America, Mexico, Cuba, Jamaica, British West Indies, French, West Indies, Dutch West Indies, Grenada, Aruba (about 10 other small island nations who have since declared independence from their European colonizers, however I'm not sure what those are), Belize, Honduras, El Salvador, Costa Rica, Panama, Columbia, Ecuador, Venezuela, French Guyana, Suriname, Brazil, Chile, Argentina, Uruguay, Bolivia, Paraguay, Falkland Islands (UK).

So, in reality, by saying "America", you are talking about a broad swath of land that makes up many different cultures, thousands of languages (primarily Spanish, English, Portuguese, and French), and land as diverse as anywhere else on the planet.

Good Trades With
TraceofToxin 1

Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.

Old 20 May 2010, 16:55   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge
Default Re: Common Misconceptions About Americans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Scythican

1. They all speak in a rural, southern twang or canniblized the English Language beyond recognition. “Y'all taaawk real funnay!!!” “Dejeat Yet? Yount too?”
Until americans spell colour, amour etc properly, they have cannibilised the english language.

Quote:
2. All Americans own guns.
What, why not!?

Quote:
Meh, you're allowed to. Things like that never have to be true.

Quote:
4. Americans think that everyone else in the world wants to live in America.
Couldn't comment.

Quote:
5. All Americans are fat. North America is fitness oriented now. And then there is the "Image" factor which is based on Hollywood. Only about a third of Americans are fat. The rest of them are too busy exercising their butts off in the belief that if they stay super-duper-extra fit, they can stave off death. Forever.
Can't comment. Can lol though :P although I do agree.

Quote:
6. America is full of crime and is a dangerous place.
I'm sure you're as crime free as a Leeds housing estate.

Quote:
7. If you get into a car wreck and don't have medical insurance, you are left outside to die. In reality if you're uninsured you're treated, billed, and then declared bankrupt.
So you're patched up and then left "for dead" so to speak

Quote:
8. Americans don't have the attention span for soccer. The problem is soccer doesn't leave room for ads
Its not attention span, its manliness. I hate to call the modern game of football manly, but its a lot more manly than having to wear body armour to play rugby! Besides, you like handegg. Thats acceptable :P

Quote:
9. All food in the US is genetically modified and tasteless.
Unless you're a dirty hippy, there ain't much wrong with GM food.

Quote:
10. The only beer is Budweiser. The US Does have quite a lot of good beer, but these tend to be microbrews, not commercial macrobrews.
The only beer is light beer.... you guys need drinking lessons

Quote:
11. You can see America in a week or drive from Miami to Las Vegas in a few hours. Friends have happily told me their plans to have breakfast in San Francisco, lunch at Disneyland, and dinner at the Grand Canyon. They were floored when I showed them the map: their trip would mean driving 900 miles. California is roughly the size of Great Britain. There’s 3,000 miles between LA and New York, and of that, a thousand is desert and a thousand is corn.
This is obvious, I could spend a month travelling america and not see half of it.

Quote:
12.Yankee is a blanket term for Americans. In the US, only northerners particularly from the northeast US are called Yankees. It's an insult to call a southerner a Yankee.
Meh, Yank means American to everyone except southern Americans. They can live with it. We got stuck with "limey", which isn't terrible but Yank is far funnier.

Quote:
13. Americans do not want to learn other languages. Most would love to, but unless a US citizen travels overseas, there's no chance to use. Think of it: if each state in the US spoke a different language, then we'd probably wind up learning the ones closest to us. (Although we'll all wind up one day speaking Spanglish).
Most americans don't want to learn english Seriously though, I manage on a bear minimum of foriegn speak, but I do like to immurse when I travel abroad.

Quote:
14. All Americans are the same. The differences between people from Maine, Texas, and California couldn't be more extreme. And the differences between people from Lake County California and Marin County California are pretty extreme too....
All everyone is the same, when you get down to it. Americans are no different *goes into cynical depressing rant at the state of people*

Quote:
15. Americans are insular. – so few have passports. It’s true that roughly 11-15 percent of Americans have passports, compared to 80 percent of Brits. But that doesn’t mean they don’t travel. Not only is the USA huge, but until very recently, American citizens did not need passports to cross into most neighboring countries. An American could drive from Anchorage, Alaska, across thousands of miles of Canada, all the way down to Mexico, fly to Miami and from there to the Bahamas, all without showing a passport. On the other hand, if you’re Belgian, you need a passport to go to the corner bakery for a baguette.
Meh, its up to them. Considering they have a lot more country to see before they get bored, its not a terrible thing.

Quote:
16. Americans drive on the wrong side of the road. They don’t – they drive on the right, as do approximately half the drivers in the world. It just looks weird, because compared to the narrow lanes of Chipping Sodbury, American roads are so wide that container ships could pass each other without bumping. Which is good, considering the size of the average SUV on Los Angeles freeways.
Yes, you do. The right way to drive is on the left, with oncomming traffic on your right.

Quote:
17. Americans are those crazy people from the United States. Yeah I goofed when writing this list up bad. Should have Called it Misconceptions about Citizens of the United States. American is a citizen or attribute of one of the two nations of the Americas and made up of the following countries: Greenland (Denmark), Canada, The United States of America, Mexico, Cuba, Jamaica, British West Indies, French, West Indies, Dutch West Indies, Grenada, Aruba (about 10 other small island nations who have since declared independence from their European colonizers, however I'm not sure what those are), Belize, Honduras, El Salvador, Costa Rica, Panama, Columbia, Ecuador, Venezuela, French Guyana, Suriname, Brazil, Chile, Argentina, Uruguay, Bolivia, Paraguay, Falkland Islands (UK).

So, in reality, by saying "America", you are talking about a broad swath of land that makes up many different cultures, thousands of languages (primarily Spanish, English, Portuguese, and French), and land as diverse as anywhere else on the planet.

Americans are very crazy people from the United States

Note: All comments might be completely lacking in facts (well, they aren't but thats a useful lie) and should not be taken seriously if you do not posess a sense of humour. Or, humor if you're a yank.

I see what I did there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
Old 20 May 2010, 17:04   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to deraj Send a message via MSN to deraj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Scythican

Until americans spell colour, amour etc properly, they have cannibilised the english language.
As in french for love or internet for epic fail? :P

Also.... dear god I hate when brits use yank wrong. It really really bugs me :P

And drving on the left... do you walk on the left side of hallways too? Go up the stairs on the left? I've always wondered about that little bit. I'm happy to say I'm a fat, crazy, gun owning american who doesn't want to learn anymore languages. Of course I can speak 2 fluently, 4 if I try hard enough, and write in 6...

And soccer is not manly. People run by soccer players and they fall to the ground clutching their legs crying. We need manlier sports like.... bull headbutting, or shark wrestling. Actually come to think of it, in the south there is a lot of gator wrestling...
Old 20 May 2010, 17:10   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deraj
And soccer is not manly. People run by soccer players and they fall to the ground clutching their legs crying. We need manlier sports like.... bull headbutting, or shark wrestling. Actually come to think of it, in the south there is a lot of gator wrestling...
A decent game of Rugby? If played well (or badly, depending on point of view) you can get everything from fractured limbs to damaged spines, concussions, gouged eyes....

And we make our kids play this

Old 20 May 2010, 17:12   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Of course you don't, you just feel the need to try and one-up a British person on an internet forum because, shock horror, he made a topic about a nation that isn't the U.S.A. :P

Quote:
Also.... dear god I hate when brits use yank wrong. It really really bugs me
If you won't accept that you spell colour incorrectly then you have no right to complain when we change the definition of a word to suit our own socialect. To a British person Yank means American (or Citizen of the U.S.A.) and that is that. That is our definition for our word, you're welcome to have your own

Quote:
And drving on the left... do you walk on the left side of hallways too?
Yes.

Quote:
And soccer is not manly. People run by soccer players and they fall to the ground clutching their legs crying.
Except that doing such is cheating and massively frowned upon. When the game is played properly it's ok. Also, rugby is far more manly than your wierd handegg thing. Oh yeah, and we also play Shinty. Heck, we have a sport called Shin Kicking. An entire sport that revolves around kicking shins for no apparent reason. We also like to put ferrets in our trousers and let them have at it on our sticks because we are just that goddamn manly.

Quote:
We need manlier sports like.... bull headbutting, or shark wrestling.
I wanna have sex with these ideas.
That's what the new Space Marine codex relates to. Grilled puppies.

Thanks to JD for the awesome siggy
Old 20 May 2010, 17:16   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to deraj Send a message via MSN to deraj

Quote:
Quote:
If you won't accept that you spell colour incorrectly then you have no right to complain when we change the definition of a word to suit our own socialect. To a British person Yank means American (or Citizen of the U.S.A.) and that is that. That is our definition for our word, you're welcome to have your own
I can spell color however I want. In fact, I'm going to start spelling it Kulyr. Yeah, take that you damned brits and your snarky sense of humir.
Old 20 May 2010, 17:18   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deraj
Quote:
Quote:
I can spell color however I want. In fact, I'm going to start spelling it Kulyr. Yeah, take that you damned brits and your snarky sense of humir.

And yet, weirdly, that still makes sense

Quote:
Old 20 May 2010, 17:20   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

LEFT-DRIVING COUNTRIES RIGHT-DRIVING COUNTRIES
India 952,107,694 China 1,210,004,956
Indonesia 206,611,600 United States 265,562,845
Pakistan 129,275,660 Brazil 162,661,214
Japan 125,449,703 Russia 148,178,487
Bangladesh 123,062,800 Nigeria 103,912,489
Thailand 58,851,357 Mexico 95,772,462
United Kingdom 58,489,975 Germany 83,536,115
South Africa 41,743,459 Philippines 74,480,848
Tanzania 29,058,470 Vietnam 73,976,973
Kenya 28,176,686 Iran 66,094,264
Nepal 22,094,033 Egypt 63,575,107
Uganda 20,158,176 Turkey 62,484,478
Malaysia 19,962,893 France 58,040,988
Sri Lanka 18,553,074 Italy 57,460,274
Australia 18,260,863 Ethiopia 57,171,662
Mozambique 17,877,927 Ukraine 50,864,009
Zimbabwe 11,271,314 Congo (former Zaire) 46,498,539
Malawi 9,452,844 Burma 45,975,625
Zambia 9,159,072 South Korea 45,482,291
Hong Kong 6,305,413 Spain 39,181,114
Papua New Guinea 4,394,537 Poland 38,642,565
Ireland 3,566,833 Colombia 36,813,161
New Zealand 3,547,983 Argentina 34,672,997
Singapore 3,396,924 Sudan 31,065,229
Jamaica 2,595,275 Morocco 29,779,156
Lesotho 1,970,781 Algeria 29,183,032
Bhutan 1,822,625 Canada 28,820,671
Namibia 1,677,243 Peru 24,523,408
Botswana 1,477,630 North Korea 23,904,124
Trinidad and Tobago 1,272,385 Uzbekistan 23,418,381
Mauritius 1,140,256 Afghanistan 22,664,136
Swaziland 998,730 Venezuela 21,983,188
Fiji 782,381 Romania 21,657,162
Cyprus 744,609 Taiwan 21,465,881
Guyana 712,091 Iraq 21,422,292
Macau 496,837 Saudi Arabia 19,409,058
Suriname 436,418 Ghana 17,698,271
Solomon Islands 412,902 Kazakstan 16,916,463
Malta 375,576 Syria 15,608,648
Brunei 299,939 Netherlands 15,568,034
Maldives 270,758 Ivory Coast 14,762,445
Bahamas, The 259,367 Chile 14,333,258
Barbados 257,030 Cameroon 14,261,557
Samoa 189,000 Madagascar 13,670,507
Saint Lucia 157,862 Yemen 13,483,178
Saint Vincent 118,344 Ecuador 11,466,291
US Virgin Islands 97,120 Guatemala 11,277,614
Grenada 94,961 Cuba 10,951,334
Dominica 82,926 Cambodia 10,861,218
Kiribati 80,919 Burkina Faso 10,623,323
Seychelles 77,575 Greece 10,538,594
Antigua and Barbuda 65,647 Belarus 10,415,973
Guernsey 62,920 Angola 10,342,899
Bermuda 62,099 Czech Republic 10,321,120
Saint Kitts and Nevis 41,369 Belgium 10,170,241
Cook Islands 19,561 Hungary 10,002,541
Turks and Caicos Islands 14,302 Serbia 9,979,116
British Virgin Islands 13,195 Portugal 9,865,114
Anguilla 10,424 Mali 9,653,261
Nauru 10,273 Somalia 9,639,151
Tuvalu 10,146 Niger 9,113,001
Falkland Islands 2,758 Senegal 9,092,749
Tunisia 9,019,687
Sweden 8,900,954
Bulgaria 8,612,757
Dominican Republic 8,088,881
Austria 8,023,244
Azerbaijan 7,676,953
Guinea 7,411,981
Switzerland 7,207,060
Bolivia 7,165,257
Chad 6,976,845
Rwanda 6,853,359
Haiti 6,731,539
Burundi 5,943,057
Tajikistan 5,916,373
El Salvador 5,828,987
Benin 5,709,529
Honduras 5,605,193
Paraguay 5,504,146
Libya 5,445,436
Israel 5,421,995
Slovakia 5,374,362
Denmark 5,249,632
Georgia 5,219,810
Finland 5,105,230
Croatia 5,004,112
Laos 4,975,772
Sierra Leone 4,793,121
Togo 4,570,530
Kyrgyzstan 4,529,648
Moldova 4,463,847
Norway 4,383,807
Nicaragua 4,272,352
Jordan 4,212,152
Turkmenistan 4,149,283
Eritrea 3,909,628
Lebanon 3,776,317
Lithuania 3,646,041
Armenia 3,463,574
Costa Rica 3,463,083
Central African 3,274,426
Albania 3,249,136
Uruguay 3,238,952
United Arab Emirates 3,057,337
Bosnia and Herzegov. 2,656,240
Panama 2,655,094
Congo 2,527,841
Mongolia 2,496,617
Latvia 2,468,982
Mauritania 2,336,048
Oman 2,186,548
Liberia 2,109,789
Macedonia 2,104,035
Slovenia 1,951,443
Kuwait 1,950,047
Estonia 1,459,428
West Bank 1,427,741
Gambia 1,204,984
Gabon 1,172,798
Guinea-Bissau 1,151,330
Gaza Strip 923,940
Bahrain 590,042
Comoros 569,237
Qatar 547,761
Cape Verde 449,066
Equatorial Guinea 431,282
Djibouti 427,642
Luxembourg 415,870
Iceland 270,292
Western Sahara 222,631
Belize 219,296
Vanuatu 177,504
Guam 156,974
Sao Tome 144,128
Micronesia 125,377
Andorra 72,766
American Samoa 63,786
Greenland 59,827
Marshall Islands 58,363
Northern Mariana 52,284
Monaco 31,719
Liechtenstein 31,122
Gibraltar 28,765
San Marino 24,521
Wallis and Futuna 14,659
Total 1,940,043,524 Total 3,824,348,286
34% 66%

Above is the population of the world that drives. The left side is the ones that drive on the left. While the ones on the right drive on the correct side of the road.
This is a list of countries that drive on the right side of the road. Right side = right side get it.

1. Afghanistan
2. Albania
3. Algeria
4. American Samoa
5. Andorra
6. Angola
7. Argentina
8. Armenia
9. Aruba
10. Austria
11. Azerbaijan
12. Bahrain
13. Belarus
14. Belgium
15. Belize
16. Benin
17. Bolivia
18. Bosnia and Herzegovina
19. Brazil
20. British Indian Ocean Territory (Diego García)
21. Bulgaria
22. Burkina Faso
23. Burundi
24. Cambodia
25. Cameroon
26. Canada
27. Cape Verde
28. Central African Republic
29. Chad
30. Chile
31. China, People's Republic of (Mainland China)
32. Colombia
33. Comoros
34. Congo
35. Congo (former Republic of Zaire)
36. Costa Rica
37. Croatia
38. Cuba
39. Czech Republic
40. Denmark
41. Djibouti
42. Dominican Republic
43. Ecuador
44. Egypt
45. El Salvador
46. Equatorial Guinea
47. Eritrea
48. Estonia
49. Ethiopia
50. Faroe Islands (Denmark)
51. Finland
52. France
53. French Guiana
54. French Polynesia
55. Gabon
56. Gambia, The
57. Gaza Strip
58. Georgia
59. Germany
60. Ghana
61. Gibraltar
62. Greece
63. Greenland
64. Guadeloupe (French West Indies)
65. Guam
66. Guatemala
67. Guinea
68. Guinea-Bissau
69. Haiti
70. Honduras
71. Hungary
72. Iceland
73. Iran
74. Iraq
75. Israel
76. Italy
77. Ivory Coast
78. Jordan
79. Kazakhstan
80. Korea, Democratic People's Republic of (North Korea)
81. Korea, Republic of (South Korea)
82. Kuwait
83. Kyrgyzstan
84. Laos
85. Latvia
86. Lebanon
87. Liberia
88. Libya
89. Liechtenstein
90. Lithuania
91. Luxembourg
92. Macedonia
93. Madagascar
94. Mali
95. Marshall Islands
96. Martinique (French West Indies)
97. Mauritania
98. Mayotte (France)
99. Mexico
100. Micronesia, Federated States of
101. Midway Islands (USA)
102. Moldova
103. Monaco
104. Mongolia
105. Morocco
106. Myanmar (formerly Burma)
107. Netherlands
108. Netherlands Antilles (Curaçao, St. Maarten, St. Eustatius, Saba)
109. New Caledonia
110. Nicaragua
111. Niger
112. Nigeria
113. Northern Mariana Islands
114. Norway
115. Oman
116. Palau
117. Panama
118. Paraguay
119. Peru
120. Philippines
121. Poland
122. Portugal
123. Puerto Rico
124. Qatar
125. Réunion
126. Romania
127. Russia
128. Rwanda
129. Saint Barthélemy (French West Indies)
130. Saint Martin (French West Indies)
131. Saint Pierre and Miquelon (France)
132. San Marino
133. Sao Tome e Principe
134. Saudi Arabia
135. Senegal
136. Serbia and Montenegro
137. Sierra Leone
138. Slovakia
139. Slovenia
140. Somalia
141. Spain
142. Sudan
143. Svalbard (Norway)
144. Sweden
145. Switzerland
146. Syria
147. Taiwan
148. Tajikistan
149. Togo
150. Tunisia
151. Turkey
152. Turkmenistan
153. Ukraine
154. United Arab Emirates
155. United States
156. Uruguay
157. Uzbekistan
158. Vanuatu
159. Venezuela
160. Vietnam
161. Wake Island (USA)
162. Wallis and Futuna Islands (France)
163. West Bank
164. Western Sahara
165. Yemen

Old 20 May 2010, 17:22   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Of course you can, you bloody yank.
That's what the new Space Marine codex relates to. Grilled puppies.

Thanks to JD for the awesome siggy
Old 20 May 2010, 17:27   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicop76
This is a list of countries that drive on the right side of the road. Right side = rights side get it.

snip long list of wrong countries
So? Just means they are all wrong

Quote:
Closed Thread