Old 19 May 2010, 12:01   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer
Default Re: 10 Common Misconceptions About Britain

Can I add another one?

Fags:

If a British person uses the term 'fag', odds are they mean this:
http://balticdesign.files.wordpress..../cigarette.jpg

These days, what with the internet and all, it is not unheard of for Brits to apply the term 'fag' in the way a Yank would, but please engage the brain and use a little context here; if a Brit says he's "going out for a fag" or "dying for a fag" or similar, he means he wants to go and smoke a cigarette.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2010, 12:06   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

I have to agree with everything but point 1. I drink tea in ridiculous copious amounts (as well as ale and cider, but that's Binge Culture for you).

Huzzah! For Queen and Country, and all that nonsense eh? We'll show the Yanks a thing or two about afternoon tea and croquet. Good job old bean, the link really tickled my fancy.

PS: Wargy, I think you mean the 'Film Actors Guild' when you speak of fags...

Gen
Genmotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2010, 12:13   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Wargamer, I'm fairly sure the vast majority of people know what is meant when the Brits say fag

Oh, and the Brits do serve beer warm...AT least a few degrees compared to the rest of the world. That's more down to the style of beers though (lots of British ales aren't as tasty served at a normal temperature)

Also, it does rain all the time in Britain...or close enough to. At least, compared to what I'm used to. As for that whole pleasant weather thing, who do you think you're fooling

"Well, a gathering is brie, mellow song stylings; shindig, dip, less mellow song stylings, perhaps a large amount of malt beverage; and hootenanny, well, it's chock full of hoot, just a little bit of nanny." Oz (Buffy, episode 2, season 3)

"I don't like coke, i just like the way it smells" Unknown

"and in the words of our lord and saviour, jesus christ, **** you if you can't take a joke" The Glass House
BloodiedFangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2010, 12:39   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Pfft. Each one of those is totally true. You guys are just in denial. :P
Droids_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2010, 13:46   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
I have to agree with everything but point 1. I drink tea in ridiculous copious amounts (as well as ale and cider, but that's Binge Culture for you).
Yeah same, minus the ale.

Old 19 May 2010, 13:48   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Location: That bitter taste in the back of your throat, the one kinda wrapped around your uvula that is all that's left of your Pride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodiedFangs

Oh, and the Brits do serve beer warm...AT least a few degrees compared to the rest of the world. That's more down to the style of beers though (lots of British ales aren't as tasty served at a normal temperature)
Only Ale should be served at room temperature. Lager and its ilk should be chilled.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shas'o Ahab
In parting, I've discovered why Farsight started his breakaway faction...
*Farsight looks at Dawn Blade* "Shiny..."*Farsight picks up Dawn Blade and looks around* "... let's be bad guys."
Quote:
Originally Posted by The man they call Waffles
Jayne you y'xa'uuk legend
The Man They Call Jayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2010, 14:25   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Grandpa Ducky Send a message via Yahoo to Grandpa Ducky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapter Master Seth
Pfft. Each one of those is totally true. You guys are just in denial. :P
I was thinking the same thing, Seth. :P

One thing to take into consideration while reading this list, though, is what time period most of the preconceptions were born. Were they true back then? You see, before the founding of the Colonies, their subsequent revolution, and development into the greatest nation ever to grave the face of the earth, many of these were true: Britain did suffer from horrid weather, tea and warm beer flowed freely in the streets, everyone pranced around blabbering in their fancy talk, and sang (or tried to sing) God Save the Queen at the top of their lungs.

It wasn't until the height of the Revolutionary War, where Britain saw there was no way to win against the young and fiery tiger that would soon become The United States of America, that they opted to do the most dastardly thing possible: attempt to steal what made America so great! They sent their best red-coated ninjas deep into Cheyenne Mountain where, far from the tumultuous and blood-soaked front lines of this most-glorious war, Ben Franklin worked diligently to develop even greater ideas than cold beer and good weather - two things he had perfected years ago and two things the Brits had tasked their ninjas with stealing. Knowing he was outnumbered by the hundreds of British ninjas and seeing no possible way to avoid capture, Ben released his best kept secret: the terrifyingly deadly Carlos Ray Norris, who Ben loving referred to as Chuck. Chuck, A Force of One, his fists flying, scythed into the ninjas, slaughtering in a Silent Rage the hundreds of ninjas who had descended upon this most hallowed of mountains. Ben Franklin, seeing his creation covered in blood as red as the British ninja's coats, channeled The Warrior Within himself, and as his power level went over nine-thousand, he, too, joined the fray. The Wrecking Crew of Ben and Chuck, fighting back to back like Sidekicks from some comic book where sidekicks don't suck, fought the countless ninjas to a standstill.

Unfortunately, the ninja assault was a distraction and while Ben and Chuck we decimating the ninja horde, a smaller team of ninjas had slipped past and were now making off with some of Ben's most prized inventions: Good Weather, Cold Beer, Dental Care, The Ability to Sing, Coffee, and The American Language! Chuck turned and said to Ben "Watch for me, Father, I'll be back! Remember, Good Guys Where Black!" And with those faithful words, forever embedded in the minds of Americans by the likes of Thomas Payne and Mark Twain, Chuck gave chase to the evil ninjas, never to be seen again until 1940, long after Ben Franklin had retired to the moon.

So, you see, Chuck Norris spared the ninjas the painful and humiliating death he had ever-so-willingly doled out to their accomplices because America, despite what some less-awesome nations might say, is a merciful and peace loving land who only uses violence when all other options are exhausted. Inside, Chuck felt pity for the British... They never knew what it was like to come home after a long day of working in the fields to a nice cold beer. They never knew what it was like to wake up in the morning, brush your teeth and sit down to read the morning paper (readable in American) with a strong cup of coffee. Deep inside the second of his eight-chambered hearts, Chuck felt that maybe if the British were given these things, dental care, cold beer, and others, maybe they'd become a little more human... and that idea appealed to Chuck.

....... True story. :P

Grandpa Ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2010, 14:42   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
I was thinking the same thing, Seth. :P
Americans sharing common misconceptions about Britain? That's unheard of! :P

Quote:
It wasn't until the height of the Revolutionary War, where Britain saw there was no way to win against the young and fiery tiger
Actually it was more that England diverted it's forces away to fight wars it considered more important. Early America would have been crushed under the full might of the British Empire (while we're being all nationalist).

I like your version of history though. Hell if people are going to re-write history anyway they might as well make it awesome. Maybe you should assist the Texans in re-writing their school history books.
Old 19 May 2010, 15:02   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Location: That bitter taste in the back of your throat, the one kinda wrapped around your uvula that is all that's left of your Pride.

I agree. Hell +1 Karma just for writing something that awesome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shas'o Ahab
In parting, I've discovered why Farsight started his breakaway faction...
*Farsight looks at Dawn Blade* "Shiny..."*Farsight picks up Dawn Blade and looks around* "... let's be bad guys."
Quote:
Originally Posted by The man they call Waffles
Jayne you y'xa'uuk legend
The Man They Call Jayne is offline   Reply With Quote