Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Publishing Idea for Movie Script
Old 17 Apr 2010, 13:50   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Colonel Marksman
Default Publishing Idea for Movie Script

Alright, I'll probably get shot for even mentioning this but here it goes. I've been thinking about writing movie scripts for a long while. I finally decided that after I get a few novels published to do a movie script on pre-existing universe or characters.

And this stupidly crazy idea came to mind...

Duke Nukem: The Movie. (Live action, of course.)

So, to make sure it wasn't because of my lack of sleep, I wanted to hear some thoughts on this (because Tau-related forums tend to have members who are smarter than most other forums in my experience). There is no right or wrong answer here; I honestly have no clue whether or not to actually try and go through with it.

Games in the Past Month:
Tau: W-1, T-0, L-1
Witch H: W-0, T-0, L-0
Eldar: W-2, T-0, L-1
Guard: W-0, T-0, L-0
Other: W-2, T-1, L-0
Colonel Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Apr 2010, 13:51   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Publishing Idea for Movie Script

You'll never finish it.
Droids_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Apr 2010, 13:53   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Ninja'd by Seth.

Also you mention that you're going to move onto movie scripts after you've got some novels published. Maybe you should, you know, get some novels published before you try and write this.
That's what the new Space Marine codex relates to. Grilled puppies.

Thanks to JD for the awesome siggy
Tim the Tau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Apr 2010, 14:33   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Lazarou
Ninja'd by Seth.

Also you mention that you're going to move onto movie scripts after you've got some novels published. Maybe you should, you know, get some novels published before you try and write this.
Got 1 Fantasy done already, currently looking for literary agents, 1 Children's story done also looking, 1 Thriller halfway done, 1 racing thriller needing to be re-worked, 2 Children's novels halfway done, 1 Sci-fi in the works, 1 Steampunk also in the works, the other few dozen are just in 1-3 chapters so that I have the idea down and won't forget it later.

About .03% of unsolicited (unasked for) authors get published every year. I'm enduring the hardest step of the process at the moment, and I'm taking the hardest route: through a literary agent who doesn't charge fees. Several authors go through as many as 100 (yes, 100) rejection letters before they get recognized by someone.

So far, I've had a total of 14; 1 asked to see material and said no (before a few revisions), 1 gave me a referral but that was a no, and 1 said she would take me but her business closed, 4 are yet to reply. I've had 6 rejections on the children's story.

So no, I'm not published yet. But I don't plan on writing the whole thing right now, just wondering about the idea itself.

Games in the Past Month:
Old 17 Apr 2010, 21:07   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Hadhfang

With it being "Duke Nukem" someone will probably own the copyright to it, so before you get too far ahead with yourself, you would need to find out who, and ask about writing a script for it. In honesty, I'd say it's likely that-as someone else owns the franchise and it's their name, they would want someone who has some experience in scriptwriting for movies. Novels are all well and good, but they are completely different from writing for screen. So maybe write a few scripts based on your own ideas first, before going for something like that.
Hadhfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Apr 2010, 23:27   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

As much as it pains me to say this - Duke Nukem is dead and buried.

Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Apr 2010, 01:26   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadhfang
With it being "Duke Nukem" someone will probably own the copyright to it, so before you get too far ahead with yourself, you would need to find out who, and ask about writing a script for it. In honesty, I'd say it's likely that-as someone else owns the franchise and it's their name, they would want someone who has some experience in scriptwriting for movies. Novels are all well and good, but they are completely different from writing for screen. So maybe write a few scripts based on your own ideas first, before going for something like that.
I'm 100% fully aware of that. That's what a literary agent is for. Most of them will act as your literary lawyers too and will negotiate all contracts to make sure you have the best advantages. The agent can also vouch for me with name alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILK
As much as it pains me to say this - Duke Nukem is dead and buried.
-- This is what I was looking for. If it's really as dead as SILK link says it is, then the best way to pick it back up, (maybe) is through a movie or something. If that happens to be successful (on the expense of myself and my literary agent, not the original owner of the copyrighted material), it's a low-gamble.

Forget actually writing it and copyright issues for a moment (e.g. forget all the "technical difficulties"). If a movie came out with that title, what would be in your head?

Games in the Past Month:
Old 18 Apr 2010, 01:29   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

If I saw a summer teaser trailer for Duke Nukem my first thoughts would be, "great another crappy video game adaption that is going to ruin the name of another great game, and I'd hope Owe Boll wasn't directing".
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Apr 2010, 01:32   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Hadhfang

I would be pretty apathetic tbh. I don't remember the games very well but from what I gathered they were generic chauvanistic shoot 'em ups. I imagine it would be less successful than the Doom movie was.
Hadhfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Apr 2010, 02:06   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Marksman
If a movie came out with that title, what would be in your head?
Did Not Finish
Droids_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote