Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Is it safe to eat a sandwich that my cat tried to eat?
Old 30 Mar 2010, 22:10   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Is it safe to eat a sandwich that my cat tried to eat?

So, I made myself a ham sandwich, left it on the counter, but as I returned from the refrigerator I saw my cat with a piece of meat in his mouth. He quickly dropped the meat when I confronted him with it, and he just had his mouth around it, he didn't manage to ingest any meat, I'm just wondering if it's safe to eat the sandwich.

I'm really hungry right now, so my first instinct is to just eat the sandwich, but he's an outdoor cat, and he actively hunts and eats mice and rabbits and birds and shit, so that's why I'm wondering if maybe eating the sandwich isn't such a good idea.
Old 30 Mar 2010, 22:15   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer
Default Re: Is it safe to eat a sandwich that my cat tried to eat?

Cats have very dirty mouths, full of bacteria and shit. Eating it is a VERY BAD idea.

If it was a dog, you might be okay, but not a Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Mar 2010, 22:18   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
Cats have very dirty mouths, full of bacteria and shtlk. Eating it is a VERY BAD idea.

If it was a dog, you might be okay, but not a Cat.
Ah, that's exactly what I was afraid of. Unfortunately, typing in "Should I eat a sandwich my cat tried to eat," into google doesn't turn up any particularily relevant results.

Pity. I wanted that sandwich.

Stupid cat.
Old 30 Mar 2010, 22:21   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Scout Sergeant Mkoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tali'Zorah vas Normandy
Ah, that's exactly what I was afraid of. Unfortunately, typing in "Should I eat a sandwich my cat tried to eat," into google doesn't turn up any particularily relevant results.

Pity. I wanted that sandwich.

Stupid cat.
Given how much cats clean themselves I thought I would have gone without saying that this was a no go unless you have complete immunity to just about everything. :P

That being said if you cut off the meat around where the cat had it you should be ok to be honest.
Oh come on, just because I'm carrying around the joy of killing your family, doesn't mean we still can't be friends.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kara Thrace
Ah, I'm minnie, meaning I'm sexy, badass, and will happily shoot you in the back.

Damn, I hope I don't get quoted calling myself sexy. :funny:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordDemon
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to catch you.
Scout Sergeant Mkoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Mar 2010, 22:21   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Location: In my secret lair plotting forum domination....hehe
Send a message via MSN to Tau-killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
Cats have very dirty mouths, full of bacteria and shtlk. Eating it is a VERY BAD idea.
Yeah, my sister (who is a qualified vet) would second that. As a general rule, you should not even think about eating anything that's been in any animal's mouth.
Old 30 Mar 2010, 22:24   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

I'd probably eat it anyway but I certainly wouldn't recommend it unless you, like me, have built up an immunity over the years to pretty much all common pathogens by eating all food you find on the floor even if you have literally no idea how long it has been there.

Short answer don't.

For more webcomics like this please visit my website.

http://www.tristanworld.com

or my deviant art account.
Omeganus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Mar 2010, 22:36   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Cat 'bites' can cause infections. Cat scratches have caused them for me. for animals that clean themselves they are really dirty.

Should you eat after it... probably not.
Ironwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Mar 2010, 23:45   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grand Seer (TGS)
I'd probably eat it anyway but I certainly wouldn't recommend it unless you, like me, have built up an immunity over the years to pretty much all common pathogens by eating all food you find on the floor even if you have literally no idea how long it has been there.
It still doesn't matter if you've got a fairly strong resistance to most common pathogens, as there's something else you could potentially catch from your cat which you can't really build up a resistance to: worms.

"Well, a gathering is brie, mellow song stylings; shindig, dip, less mellow song stylings, perhaps a large amount of malt beverage; and hootenanny, well, it's chock full of hoot, just a little bit of nanny." Oz (Buffy, episode 2, season 3)

"I don't like coke, i just like the way it smells" Unknown

"and in the words of our lord and saviour, jesus christ, **** you if you can't take a joke" The Glass House
BloodiedFangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Mar 2010, 00:46   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

You should take a worm pill every year just in case because you can get them from nearly anywhere, just dirt on your hands is enough. In fact many people (1 in 4) have worms it's not uncommon, and they don't really harm us.

Also; "In the USA, about 85 percent is infected with parasites." :P

But if you've never taken a de-worming pill in your life your rather likely to have one or two. But you might not.

I wouldn't have any bother eating the sandwich. I've been bitten by a cat before (wound went down to the bone) and it never got infected. I fact I never cleaned it or anything, so perhaps I just have good immunity. I'm also the kind of guy who'll bin pick stuff if its half eatten and not been there fore long. I'm not fussy.

My rule of thumb, it smell bad, taste bad, or makes you feel ill after eatting, don't eat/don't eat again.

Also I'll let you know, cat food actually tastes nicer than some sausages you can buy and that meat you get in meatballs and stuff. It's fit for human consumption as well.

Gen
Genmotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Mar 2010, 00:52   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Lord Zambia

10 second rule, how long was it in the cat's mouth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genmotty
I wouldn't have any bother eating the sandwich. I've been bitten by a cat before (wound went down to the bone) and it never got infected. I fact I never cleaned it or anything, so perhaps I just have good immunity.
You ate your cat?

Quote:
I'm also the kind of guy who'll bin pick stuff if its half eatten and not been there fore long. I'm not fussy.
You what!

Quote:
My rule of thumb, it smell bad, taste bad, or makes you feel ill after eatting, don't eat/don't eat again.
Pretty sound advice.

Quote:
Also I'll let you know, cat food actually tastes nicer than some sausages you can buy and that meat you get in meatballs and stuff. It's fit for human consumption as well.
Gen, i am actually siding with you on this statement

Lord Zambia

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhontauel
4 lightening claws LMAO. wouldn't the inquisition get involved?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedibean
Killing terminators with flamers is like trying to stop a charging elephant with a fly swatter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genmotty
if your not going to change your ammo between battles then you deserve to be giving people rashes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetrino
Ah, that's a shame. It's kind of funny, because I'd imagine that running headfirst into a force field would pretty much ruin your initiative.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire at Will
Why not take over France? You could do it with a pistol, which in doing would make you the most armed man in the country.
Want to play Robot Wars using 40k Concepts? PM me for details on how you can get your FREE copy of the rules.
Lord Zambia is offline   Reply With Quote