20cm 3 7.14%
30cm 2 4.76%
50cm 2 4.76%
99cm 3 7.14%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08 Mar 2010, 16:51   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Do you believe me...?

If you take a coin and a counter, and say that every time it comes up heads, I will move my counter 1cm to the left, and every time the coin comes up tails 1cm to the right.

What is the most likely distance to find my counter from where it started after 100 coin flips?

Vote Now!

[hr]

This thread came into my head because in another thread somebody mentioned that guy who flipped a coin for a year, and it reminded me of this interesting fact.

Don't read the spoiler until you have voted.

[spoiler]
The actual answer will supprise you;

It's 10cm.

If you don't believe me go try it out yourself, if you don't have the time for a hundred coin flips, there are enough random number generators out their to give you your data set, or alternatively use excel or some other spreadsheet program.

So why is that?
Well at first you might think that the odds of going right or left are 50:50, thus you are just going to move back and forth about the starting position.

While it is true that the odds are 50:50, that doesn't imply that you move about the starting position. For instance, take this scenario;

Heads
1cm left

My starting position now is at 1cm left.

Say I flip 4 more times, then the possible outcomes become the following list;

As you can see there is a strong likelihood that the order of the flips will not generate a perfect 50:50 split. Thus after any finite number of flips, you will indeed have a finite probability of being some distance away from your starting point.

Interesting eh?

Play it on your friends (but make a bet first ).
[/spoiler]

Gen
Genmotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Mar 2010, 16:55   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Location: That bitter taste in the back of your throat, the one kinda wrapped around your uvula that is all that's left of your Pride.
Default Re: Do you believe me...?

Hmmm, interesting i picked 10cm for reasons im not saying incase it sways the vote.

And to prevent my own headdesking and dreadsocking from Gen.:P
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shas'o Ahab
In parting, I've discovered why Farsight started his breakaway faction...
*Farsight looks at Dawn Blade* "Shiny..."*Farsight picks up Dawn Blade and looks around* "... let's be bad guys."
Quote:
Originally Posted by The man they call Waffles
Jayne you y'xa'uuk legend
The Man They Call Jayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Mar 2010, 17:40   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Your poll options seem to indicate absolutes, rather than a range of possibilities. So despite my vote (which turned out to be correct), I'm going to have to answer your question of "Do you believe me?" with a hearty no, no I do not.

When I get the time, I'll perform the 100 coin flips and see if I come up with a number not on your list of options.
Old 08 Mar 2010, 17:52   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Location: In my secret lair plotting forum domination....hehe
Send a message via MSN to Tau-killer

[spoiler]Hmm, as a mathematician I have to object to the rather sloppy and vague way you've asked the question, Genmotty - which is strange since you're usually the one calling others out for this! The correct answer to the actual question asked: How far will my counter be from where it started after 100 coin flips? is:

The counter will be at a distance 2n from where it started where n is an integer belonging to the set: {0, 1, ..., 50}

Having said that, I will stop being pedantic and acknowledge that it is clear that the question you meant to ask was: 'At what distance from the starting point is the counter most likely to be after 100 flips.'

Obviously, the answer to this question depends on whether the question literally means distance or whether it means the vector alternative - displacement. Most people would intuitively think that the answer to this question is 0 - because they automatically think in terms of displacement. And in terms of displacement, they're absolutely right. Thinking in these terms, the point 2 centimetres to the right of the starting point (for example) is considered distinct from the point 2 centimetres to the left of the starting point. However, when strictly considering distance, these points are effectively no longer distinct, so their respective probabilities are combined. Thus it should not be surprising at all that the probability that the coin moves 0 distance is no longer the most likely outcome. I shall take your word for it that 10 cm is indeed the most likely outcome.[/spoiler]
Old 08 Mar 2010, 19:13   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to coolmule

I went for 10, but I really wanted to pick a number between 0cm and 10cm.
Old 08 Mar 2010, 22:35   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

True TK, I was being sloppy, but then it was more a bit of fun then something serious.

I'll edit it a bit.

Gen
Old 08 Mar 2010, 22:36   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

This is in no way fun :P
That's what the new Space Marine codex relates to. Grilled puppies.

Thanks to JD for the awesome siggy
Tim the Tau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Mar 2010, 22:45   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to coolmule

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Laughing Man
This is in no way fun :P
Agreed lol
Old 09 Mar 2010, 00:03   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Im the real world perhappppps...
Still, since the more repetitions there are, the closer to the expected average an outcome will be (im suure therees some name for this shizz...its been a few years since i did alevel maths statistics ) .

Id support the theroy that if you flipped said coin 10,000,000 times you would still be within 10 cm of your start point at the end of those flips
Duno ifi making sense, maybe ill explain tomorrow.
If im not then atlest ive learnt one thing today, never try to read and reply to one of Gen's topics whilst drunk.
Thantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Mar 2010, 16:52   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Id support the theroy that if you flipped said coin 10,000,000 times you would still be within 10 cm of your start point at the end of those flips
Nope you would be 3,162cm from your start point...

Gen