Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Finding a college/university (How do I do it?)
Old 08 Mar 2010, 01:44   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Finding a college/university (How do I do it?)

Alright, now, my original plan after High School was to spend a year or so in Antarctica, working as a snow shoveler on one of the three U.S. Stations. While I'd still be more than happy doing this, I have to account for the fact that I might not be selected for any of the positions I apply to, especially in this economy. As such, I'm looking at colleges that I'd like to attend right now.

Or, that is to say, I'm trying to. Google search results in a confusing stew of results that's kind of scared me away from considering it as anything other than a last resort resource, which leaves me in a bit of an awkward position.

There are a few things I'd like to get degrees in. Physics, Economics, Political Science, but at the moment, I seem to be most strongly drawn towards neuroscience. problem is, I can't find a list of schools with good (let alone any) neuroscience programs anywhere. At the moment, I know that Oberlin and Boston U offer these programs, but that's it.

So basically, my question is this. How do I find a college/university that teaches what I want to learn, and how do I tell which ones I want to apply to?

Also, is it possible to minor in something completely unrelated to your major? Because I'd like to study economics/politics while I'm doing science.
Old 08 Mar 2010, 01:57   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Finding a college/university (How do I do it?)

Well... knowing where you live might help. As in the state level, and if CA, north/south.

If it is CA, and you're not already a senior in HS, and you have a really good GPA, apply to some UCs and CSUs. If you have an OK GPA, apply to CSUs. If poor, try for some CSUs but also consider community college.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Why So Serious?
Dark Ace Cypher with the power of cliffing!
[quote=TheCuriousMonke]
[b]"You must bake muffins for the Greater Good."[/
Ace cipher zer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Mar 2010, 02:18   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Knowing what you are interested in (and good at) is a big help. Good job on including that... It can really help narrow things down but sometimes it isn't enough.

Specific regions you're most interested in going to school in are usually very helpful in narrowing stuff down. For example: me, being spoiled by the Pacific Northwest growing up, I didn't want to leave for school--> so I looked at colleges in my area.
[hr]
Speaking of my area: the University of Washington is pretty up to snuff when it comes to sciences and medicine. I know there's a Neurobiology major but it's competitive (like everything else worth majoring in here :P). An upside is that it's a state school so it isn't as expensive as most (private) schools.
[hr]

As for a way to get started, if your school counselors are any good at all (mine weren't) you could try talking to them. If not, go ask teachers you like for help deciding.

I'm assuming that since you're interested in neuroscience you've got some good grades and are fairly intelligent... if that's true you should be able to go somewhere... but if this is your senior year (i.e. now) then you've probably cut it close to (or already missed) application deadlines.

Finally: it's definitely possible to minor in something completely unrelated (and you can get much further from science than economics or politics) but it usually takes a little extra legwork and schoolwork.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man They Call Jayne
Yeah Ahab, your not nearly dirty minded enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk Spectre
Mass Effect Two please have my babies.
Help people at the hungersite.com
Shasel_Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Mar 2010, 02:21   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Also: pretty srue UCLA has neurosci. It might not be undergraduate though. And is almost definitely really, really competitive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Why So Serious?
Dark Ace Cypher with the power of cliffing!
[quote=TheCuriousMonke]
[b]"You must bake muffins for the Greater Good."[/
Ace cipher zer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Mar 2010, 03:09   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellipsisman
<snip>
Huh, thanks a lot for that, you brought up some things I hadn't really thought of.

I live in NJ, and don't worry, I'm only a Junior, I still have time. As for where I want to go to college, I think I'd be most comfortable with anywhere but here. I kind of want to get away from New Jersey, I've been here too long (Travel's in my blood. When I lived in Mexico, we moved three or four times in the span of five years).

Thinking about it though, location-wise, I think I'd like to stick to the coasts, though the heartland could serve me well by throwing me out of my element. So... yeah, no decision. Bummer.

My grades are decent also. I really don't pay much attention to them, but overall, I'd say I'm an a/b student. I also make a point of taking the most advanced classes I can, if that helps. Next year, I'm taking four AP classes and one Honors as my main academic courses.
Old 08 Mar 2010, 03:20   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tali'Zorah vas Normandy
I live in NJ, and don't worry, I'm only a Junior, I still have time.
Awesome. Having time to figure it out is a very good thing. Didn't know how well I/we'd do at helping you now if you were a senior.

Quote:
As for where I want to go to college, I think I'd be most comfortable with anywhere but here. I kind of want to get away from New Jersey, I've been here too long (Travel's in my blood. When I lived in Mexico, we moved three or four times in the span of five years).
Perfect. I don't know any colleges in NJ with good neuroscience... other than maybe Princeton (somehow I don't think you had that in mind anyway :)

Quote:
My grades are decent also. I really don't pay much attention to them, but overall, I'd say I'm an a/b student. I also make a point of taking the most advanced classes I can, if that helps. Next year, I'm taking four AP classes and one Honors as my main academic courses.
Same here (in terms of about where I was at the end of Junior Year). That's a pretty good place to be, in fact, my HS was so crappy that I could only take 2 (or 3, can't remember) AP classes senior year, so you're better off than I was.
[hr]

Glad I gave you some extra things to think about though. Oh, one more thing, if either of your parents are the type that might be able to give sound academic advice you shouldn't be afraid of asking them for a bit of help here too.

Something else I just thought of: the economy being bad now might actually be a good reason to go to college (assuming you get a degree and a job out of it)... it's an investment. But that's just another way to look at it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man They Call Jayne
Yeah Ahab, your not nearly dirty minded enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk Spectre
Mass Effect Two please have my babies.
Help people at the hungersite.com
Shasel_Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Mar 2010, 12:29   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Hey man, I have some experience in this, as I just applied and got into my dream university this year!

The first choice I think you should make is do you want to live away from home or not. If you want to live at home, you make it a lot easier for yourself. Just research all universities/colleges that are within driving or reasonable public transit distance of your home.

If you'd like to go away from home, your school's guidance department should have information books from various universities. You can also just google something like "Universities in New Jersey" to find a list, then visit their individual websites later.

When you reach your last year in high school, your school will almost certainly provide information meetings and talks on applying to university.

Most universities will have you apply online. In most cases, your school will forward your marks to them automatically. They may make you fill out a supplementary application, where you list work and volunteer experience, and sometimes have to write an essay.

Once you find a school you like, contact the Admissions Office. They will mail you a big book detailing everything about the school, including requirements and cost.

Good luck in your search!
Old 08 Mar 2010, 16:22   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

It's much better to live far away than from where your from. I have to fly 540km to get from home, to my uni.

If you live 'near to home' then what life you have their stays with you and it can be very difficult to get into the 'spirit' of university life, particularly when you parents might want to 'pop over' to see that your alright. Difficult to hide the smell of weed and your girlfriend in the cupboard...

[hr]

I don't know that much about the US University system in the sense that I've never been through it, but from the exchanges we have had over in the UK the first thing appears to be that some US courses are taught at a lower level to our A levels, hence it might be wise to choose a university that is known for the area that it teaches.

For instance don't go to the uni with the best Rugby team if you want to become a brain surgeon.

This begs the question how do I find out? Well the internet is the best option. I don't know if the US has a similar set of league tables that allow you to find out what a university is like, both genrally or specific subjects.

I choose my current uni because it was like 16th in the league tables since then we have become something like 8th or 9th nationally and are 4th in the UK for my department and research. The best unis will turn up on the first few searches. These are the ones you should consider the most, anything else is not likely to be worth it in the long run.

When you have a number of unis define some criteria, like distance, course cost, course quality, citylife/rural life, campus/not campus etc. on the things that matter TO YOU. Not your parents, or mates, TO YOU. After all your the one going.

On that list should also be criteria about the uni yourself, your impression of it, the people, the atmosphere. Your only going to get those criteria filled in by GOING TO THE PLACE. One week long trip to visit your prospective universities not only tells them that your a smart person, but also somebody who is serious for their studies.

From your point of view it gives you valuable information about what you might be letting yourself in for, and gives you something a lot more meaningful than statistics to make your decision on.

After that, choosing your university should not be a problem.

However before you have done any of that, narrow down you ideas of what you want to study, you can't visit 12 odd universities and expect to be any better off because you don't know what you want to study.

You say these subjects;
-Neuroscience
-Economics
-Political Science
-Physics

First do you know what each of the degree schemes are like? Steer away from things that end in 'studies' because they are often token degrees where the actual content is limited.

Research into the course is paramount, don't just look at the module names, but see if you can access some of the course materials to see what the teaching will actually be like. For instance something cool sounding like; "Metal Cognation and Function of the Frontal Lobe in Reasoning" might actually turn out to be a load of information on dopermines in the blood or something similar.

Remember that universities want to sell themselves to you. Hence you need to be the canny buyer.

When you are certain of what you want to study, then you should do the above about deciding which is which.

Gen
Genmotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Mar 2010, 20:17   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

On the neuroscience front I know that a lot of school may not have that as a major, but rather an emphasis within a major. For example, my friend who just graduated wanted to study infectious diseases so he was a Biological Sciences major with an emphasis on Virology. So you may have to look deeper into majors than just skimming their titles.

That being said, most of the University of California schools have very good science Programs. Specifically Berkeley, LA, Santa Cruz, and Irvine (my own alma matter).

But don't worry if you don't get in to your dream college first time around. I went to a JC for two years before transferring and it was great. Granted, the JC I went to was 500 miles from home so I did get a measure of independence, but I digress.

So ya, if you're interested in any of the sciences the UC system is worth a look
Papa_Wheely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Mar 2010, 22:42   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Indeed my actual full course title is Physics with Astrophysics and Cosmology.

What that doesn't tell you is that it's 20% Math, 70% Physics (50% core, 15% Astro and Cosmo) and 10% Philosophy of Science, Logic and Reason.

It's very true that you need to research your courses well, for instance the core mathematics I wasn't expecting, but what is life if not for its little supprises...?

Gen
Genmotty is offline   Reply With Quote