Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Considering a Philosophical Major...
Old 07 Mar 2010, 10:50   #1 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen
Default Considering a Philosophical Major...

I have been through a lot of shit in life (Interesting times indeed!) and like my mother, I dealt it with my own way. Most profoundly, I got into 40K and joined an American Degree Transfer Program. It open a whole new world for me (A-Level sucks donkey balls btw.) and I have the opportunity to express myself. Recently, I've joined Introduction to Philosophy class. I love it. For the longest time, I wanted to be simply wise. Recent events have reinforced that (Shit happens!). So, I'm considering a Philosophical Major but there are some issues...

1) Doubt: Okay, I admit it; I am the most absent-minded person in my family. I am also can be shallow and stupid at some point in my life. Shallow; I would really love to say I can't be enticed by money but I simply can't. Stupid; Again, I admit. I'm not the wisest nor the smartest person. I have a pretty average CGPA. Then I lie sometimes. Too often for my own good.

2) Pragmatism: Who wants to hire a person with a Philosophical Major? I know for certain that those companies in my country don't see the worth of a Philosophical Degree. They don't even have a Philosophical Department in our top local universities! I would love to pursue the Ultimate Goodness and Truth as well as become wise but if I can't even eat, what's the point?

3) Fear: A lot of things have influenced my view of beliefs and values. I believe in Goodness and Truth. no doubt. But if I made it obvious, most people [in my very close-minded country] wouldn't understand. I cannot believe that God, the Ultimate Goodness and Truth in Universe would demand my servitude. If God asked for that, is God really the ultimate Goodness and Truth? Will God forgive me for questioning? Then there's my mother; ever since my father left, she's been going into religion. I don't want to get into a Theological argument with her. I love her too much. Then there's the religious authorities in my country, they would certainly send me into rehabilitation if they know that I have doubts in my religion.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Mar 2010, 11:00   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Considering a Philosophical Major...

For anybody who thinks philosophy is not a 'real subject' I would say they are mistaken. While it doesn't teach you real world fabrication skills, it teaches your brain to think. This aspect gives you the ability to call relevant knowledge to a problem easily and makes you great in the roll of a problem solver in whatever you go into doing.

In that aspect it is just as useful as a more applied skill.

Being smart or wise has nothing to do with it, you can learn how to think, and a course in philosophy will definitely do that.

Gen
Genmotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Mar 2010, 13:23   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Solution to all of this. Major in x, minor in philosophy. Or vice versa. I majored in business but took a few philosophy classes on the side. Considered majoring it in, but found I did not love it enough to take the extra classes to minor in it.

Part of that was my teacher, and that we disagreed 'a lot'. She was against Plato's dualism because she thought it lead to feelings that women were inferior(women = body, and men = mind)... which it did in some cases back then, but women were not educated back then either :. I saw dualism, and even took it to a whole new level comparing the human body to a car. Brain=driver, wheels=legs, heart=engine, lungs=intake, electrical system=wiring. Basically the idea that your body is an organic machine that your mind is driving. Used examples like people living on life support with no brain function. She was not happy. That same line of thinking came back again when we got on a subject of 'souls'.

I took other philosophy classed that I liked as well. But I never 'loved' it enough to take all the extra classes to actually minor in it.
Ironwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Mar 2010, 03:17   #4 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Well, that put my fears, doubts and pragmatism out of the way but I will need to consult my Philosophy Lecturer first. Now all I need to do is to find out which college/university. I am an International Student so it doesn't quite matter which state is closer to me :P Any suggestions? I would prefer a very secular college/university that has a GW nearby.
Old 08 Mar 2010, 16:52   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Not a Yank, so I cannot help in that department...

Gen
Old 08 Mar 2010, 17:09   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to deraj Send a message via MSN to deraj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genmotty

Gen
He never said he wanted to go to the north east US....

How much are you planning on spending Zenny? Nearby GWs... we have a lot, depending on how 'near' you mean by nearby.
deraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Mar 2010, 17:23   #7 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deraj
Quote:

Gen

How much are you planning on spending Zenny? Nearby GWs... we have a lot, depending on how 'near' you mean by nearby.
Eh....Around US$35,000 per year. Not very sure on the finances. Still working on it.
Old 08 Mar 2010, 17:37   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

See how much it sucks to be an international student :P.

Gen
Old 08 Mar 2010, 19:13   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to deraj Send a message via MSN to deraj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deraj
Quote:

Gen

Eh....Around US$35,000 per year. Not very sure on the finances. Still working on it.
Counting food and housing? That's not terrible. Honestly, just for 2 years of cheap schooling I'm gonna spend $10k next year.

As opposed to 60k last year.
deraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Mar 2010, 20:41   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

dont limit yourself to big name universities either. Community colleges are significanty cheaper, and can get you going to. I find they are very diverse.
pepsi is offline   Reply With Quote