Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

James Cameron Discusses Na'Vi Physiology
Old 26 Feb 2010, 17:45   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Gada Mazaha Send a message via MSN to Gada Mazaha
Default James Cameron Discusses Na'Vi Physiology

James Cameron Discusses Na'Vi Physiology

Knew we had a lot of people who enjoyed Avatar, so I figured you'd all get a kick out of this.
Gada Mazaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Feb 2010, 18:27   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: James Cameron Discusses Na'Vi Physiology

Why do the asari(sp?) in mass effect have boobs? Why do they have any sexual organs being a race of all females that reproduce through their minds? Because it was a video game for humans... and they needed a sex scene with a blue alien :.

Just like Avatar. What is the obsession with blue aliens is my question.

Why do half the aliens in star wars movies have females with boobs when they are obviously not mammals? Its a movie for humans.

And if the Na'Vi females didn't have breast it would be much much harder to tell the males from females. Same goes for all sci-fi races that have breast.
Ironwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Feb 2010, 18:42   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Why do the asari(sp?) in mass effect have boobs? Why do they have any sexual organs being a race of all females that reproduce through their minds? Because it was a video game for humans... and they needed a sex scene with a blue alien :.
Actually - Theres some evidence that the Asari Project a glamour in order to seem atractive to other species. The batchelor party on Illium has 3 different races describing exactly what they see when watching an Asari Dancer.
Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Feb 2010, 21:04   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Gada Mazaha Send a message via MSN to Gada Mazaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILK
Actually - Theres some evidence that the Asari Project a glamour in order to seem atractive to other species. The batchelor party on Illium has 3 different races describing exactly what they see when watching an Asari Dancer.
I guess you didn't read the article. Instead of Cameron coming up with some technical excuse, he just straight out said "People like boobs so we gave the Na’vi boobs." :P
Gada Mazaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Feb 2010, 21:10   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Naw - read article, just thought I'd defend Mass Effect.
Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Feb 2010, 01:23   #6 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrant Chrysaor
Quote:
Originally Posted by SILK
I guess you didn't read the article. Instead of Cameron coming up with some technical excuse, he just straight out said "People like boobs so we gave the Na’vi boobs." :P
The logic is flawless.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Feb 2010, 06:37   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

LOL, excellent answer, James! I hereby forgive you for the appalling mess that you let Dark Angel become after its first season.

Regarding Mass Effect and how human-looking their aliens are, it's exactly the same reason. There is no real reason for human female curves on Asari or Quorians other than to leave open the option of, shall we say, trans-species liasons. Too much Star Trek in the overall scifi consciousness, I'm afraid. Still, I have to give Bioware props for making some of the aliens a little more alien. Volus, Hanar, Geth, and Elkor are worthy of the term alien, so I'll take a bit of Space Opera Silliness in something that is intended to be space opera from the start.

Speaking of space opera references, anybody else think ME3 needs a reference to, if not a character who is, a David Weber (Honor Harrington novels) treecat?
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Feb 2010, 06:51   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Sidstyler Send a message via MSN to Sidstyler

I'd do it with an alien.

I'm just saying.

Warhams is serious business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard
Knowing the rules is not WAAC. Bringing tough lists is not WAAC. Acting within the scope of the rules is not WAAC.
Sidstyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Feb 2010, 22:18   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Regarding Mass Effect and how human-looking their aliens are, it's exactly the same reason. There is no real reason for human female curves on Asari or Quorians other than to leave open the option of, shall we say, trans-species liasons. Too much Star Trek in the overall scifi consciousness, I'm afraid. Still, I have to give Bioware props for making some of the aliens a little more alien. Volus, Hanar, Geth, and Elkor are worthy of the term alien, so I'll take a bit of Space Opera Silliness in something that is intended to be space opera from the start.
They did a better job than some movies, novels, games... but they still are not very alien.

Volus: midgets in costumes. Geth: robots... Elkor: little elephants with different heads... if an elephant could talk it would talk like an elkor.

Hanar: Ok pretty alien. Looks like a manowar jellyfish. But I'll give it credit, looks really alien.

Some aliens get breasts and hips, but 90%+ have arms, legs, and a head. Differences are always skin, ears, extra arms, to many eyes. I want aliens that look like something that evolved on another world... and is probably something you can't have sex with... I'm sorry.
Ironwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Feb 2010, 22:40   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironwinds
Quote:
They did a better job than some movies, novels, games... but they still are not very alien.

Volus: midgets in costumes. Geth: robots... Elkor: little elephants with different heads... if an elephant could talk it would talk like an elkor.

Hanar: Ok pretty alien. Looks like a manowar jellyfish. But I'll give it credit, looks really alien.

Some aliens get breasts and hips, but 90%+ have arms, legs, and a head. Differences are always skin, ears, extra arms, to many eyes. I want aliens that look like something that evolved on another world... and is probably something you can't have sex with... I'm sorry.
While I do generally agree with you, my desire for truly alien aliens is overwhelmed by my desire to romance Tali.

Also, on a seperate yet related note, do we really want truly alien aliens? Because more and more, neuroscience is suggesting that the shape of a species body directly affects their mind, so the entire Mass Effect universe wouldn't even be possible if most species didn't have two arms, two legs, two eyes, a mouth, and a torso. Hell, this evidence suggests that we shouldn't even be able to comprehend the Hanar, and understanding the Elcor would be a stretch for the smartest of us. The Rachni... well, I'll give the Rachni a pass, as we've only ever interacted through bullets or Asari, and I'm assuming that the queen's had a fair while to practice her interactions with humanoids. You know what, let's give the Hanar a pass on this front too then.

Speaking of which, this only shows how innocent, noble, and even cuddly the Rachni really are. The queen you met on Noveria was grown by Cerberus (I think?) from an egg. Literally her entire development period has been spent as a test-subject, having her eggs forcibly removed from her and being abused and mistreated by her captors. The fact that when you meet her, she wants to do anything other than destroy all humans speaks volumes about how peaceful the Rachni really are.