Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Realm of Dissonance, Age of Strife
Old 17 Feb 2010, 06:44   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to LoTide Send a message via MSN to LoTide
Default Realm of Dissonance, Age of Strife

The Galaxy has seen many species come and go over the eons. Empires of long-dead aliens have lasted for thousands, even millions of years in the Milky Way's long, arduous rotation. However, no empire was as great, or as brief, as humanity. Humanity is a strange race to the galaxy, wracked with such internal strife, yet capable of powering onwards even so. Her ascent into the stars was met with little in the way of sentient species, and so she powered onwards, gaining strength and girth as she went. At first man was limited by her slow, sub-light means of travel, and it wasn't until the discovery, and harnessing of the mysterious parallel dimension, the Scape, that humanity was propelled violently on to it's thrown of stars.

As the machine of progress and ingenuity churned outwards throughout much of the galactic north, humanity made first contact with its first sentient species', the Khureshi and the Nargoth. Subsequently, the first human-alien wars were fought at about the same time. Soon, many more alien species were brought low and made subservient to the growing Empire, which at it's peak controlled the vast majority of the galaxy, from the far north and eastern corners of the Milky Way, all the way to her shining core and even beyond. Many old alien empires sought to fight back at this growing menace to their dying strength, but there wasn't much that they could do to in the face of human progress.

The Empire of Humanity was now in a golden age, the year was 3250, and the future looked bright for one of the greatest species the galaxy ever created. However, as with all good things, it must all come to an end. Humanity's ruling Houses, now sitting comfortably on their conquered territories, began to grow complacent, beginning to squabble amongst each other. After a few years, the turning gears of progress ground to a halt, and technology began to stagnate. Many house-militaries started using chemical-propelled projectile weapons, rather than the utilitarian energy-weapons that dominated so many enemies of humanity at her peak. It all came crumbling down with the Jidan House who, after enslaving countless human and alien citizens for years, were overthrown by a massive slave-uprising. Jidan was one of the most influential and powerful houses in the empire, and as it's borders were closed in the chaos, the frail economic balance fell apart, and the other houses were torn asunder in bloody strife.

Soon, new factions began to appear in the midst of the Human Empire's death throes, but history would soon forget what happened in those fateful years with the collapse of the Scape Links. The Human Empire's true death was never seen by most of the galaxy, when several all-important sub-space links collapsed almost simultaneously. Star systems were cut off from eachother, fledgling colonies that relied on outside support were suddenly left in the dark, many never to be heard from again. Small empires formed in these dark days, as some clusters of systems still were able to connect VIA somewhat stable Scape Links. These would soon be known as the Human Enclaves.

The year is now 3900CE, the Milky Way opens her eyes once more to see the galaxy a much more chaotic and dangerous place. The Golden Age of Man has ended, Earth long forgotten. The Age of Strife has begun...

With the seat of galactic power now open once again, several species have risen up in the wake of the returning Scape Links.

The brutal and ancient Evacian Kingdoms in the west rise again from the ashes of the Link-Crash and quickly return to business as usual. Great humanoid reptiles with draconic features and the ability to breath fire, they have been the bane of Humanity since before it reached out into the stars. Now they are fully prepared to take what is rightfully theirs, and they have the military might to make it so.

In the East, the Khureshi and Nargoth have grown into an isolationist Collective, retaining much of the power stolen from their former slave-drivers, and using it on anything that attempts to bring them low once more.

Just to their north, a new and violent race of sentient reptilians have risen to power at an alarming rate. Their lack of technology compared to many other empires out there is bolstered by their terrifying ability to reproduce, as well as their incredible strength and agility.

To the south, an ancient part of Humanity reveals themselves to the rest of the galaxy. They are the Silvenclaw, a sub-species with nearly unmatched technological might at their stead. They lead the defense against a much more sinister enemy unknown to the rest of the galaxy.

The north and galactic core are still dominated by humanity proper. Shattered, but still fighting, many enclaves have risen as decidedly powerful empires in their own right. The Rubicon, Camero, Nailor, and myriad Jidanian Enclaves to name a few, as well as the incredibly powerful and aloof Navy Federation, made up of descendants of the original Imperial Navy from older days.

With so many powers fighting for control of the Galaxy, there can be only one outcome: complete and total war.

[hr]

Sometime in 2006, All-Father devised a plan on TO for a sci-fi group writing project. Several members you all know jumped to the cause, as well as many other names now written in the hallowed tombs of Tau Online history, but now long forgotten. The original thread grew to epic proportions, and so a board was devised. Realm of Dissonance, or just RoD became one of the most enjoyable and memorable experiences of my life(which admittedly, isn't saying much, but you guys don't know that!). IT went on for a couple of years, but for the first time it ground to a halt as many members went on to try different and better things.

It wasn't until a new member of Tau Online stumbled upon RoD that the board was sparked into life once more. In hindsight, the race of crystal-magic-snake-people-from-billions-of-years-ago should have just been laughed out of the forums forever, thanks to our strict but fair guidelines, but many of us were desperate for activity, so it was allowed. Another year past, and the new member known as Shadowclasper had managed to bring life back into our collective baby, but he also brought a plague to RoD. He brought a stream of new members from another forum with him, who were, for lack of a better term, were like a screaming hoard of little wargamers(with exception to Rainman, who we all love and cherish :P ). Several of the original founders left partially because of this, but we made do, and RoD went on well into 2009. It died, and came back, then died again, then came back to life once more in it's four years of glory, but it wasn't anything like the project that AF had envisioned so many four years ago.

So, with what we thought would be RoD's final death, Wargamer, among others, have decided to 'restart' RoD at the place of her birth, TO. If you haven't noticed, there's a board named Realm of Dissonance towards the bottom of TO. We started that thing a couple months ago, and after nothing happened, I've decided that we need more than the like...five members who are still working on it. Wargamer, AF, me, Rainman, and introducing Circus.

It's just not enough. Even if I can bring Colonel Sanders, Timeless One, or even Revvy back to TO, I still think we need some new members. That's why I'm posting this here. The enclave is devoid of new members(who seem addicted to screwing this kind of shtlk up), and full of people who I'm sure would jump at the chance to join such a detailed and fun Sci-fi group writing project such as this.

For anyone interested, this is the kind of stuff you will see in RoD: Blocks of text, Roleplays galore, a power-armoured human squeezing the neck of a dragon to light his cigar, a STAR PIRATE that is capable of surviving what seems like eons, and putting Jack Sparrow to shame in his quests for glory. Emo Slugs.

The basic idea is to either create your own faction in this chaotic time in our galaxy's future, or help work on an already established one.

There are a few set guidelines to RoD, that I will try to sum up here for any of those who already have ideas in their heads:

-No Magic, this is hard sci-fi, not the kind of klkn you feed to your kids and hope they'll play DnD with you when they're older.

-No Psionics, we have always tried hard to keep this universe as far away as possible from 40k, so it was decided early on to keep psychics out of it.

-No AIs, if one army suddenly replaced their foot soldiers with super-autonomous kill-bots, soon every faction would do the same, reverse engineering the enemy AI. This is not only smarter and saner than using actual people as soldiers, but also INCREDIBLY BORING. So robots are out.

-No Biotech, this is less of a hard rule and more of a guideline. Flying around in Tyranid Galaxian Hiveships and firing bio-plasma from your symbiotic weapon is a no-no. Having a few genetically modified soldiers running around with bio-mechanical impants is a bit more acceptable, to a degree. Just don't take it too far.

-No Super-Empires, we're all just coming out of the woodwork here, so there can't be any faction capable of beating up all the rest. This includes 'armies from beyond the galaxy', which is also forbidden, as well as 'evil empires from ancient times rising up to blah blah NECRON Kroot-shtlk'. We attempt to keep a balance in our factions to keep the carnage and inspiration flowing.

-No Superships, the Deathstar is not only incredibly expensive, but may not even be possible. The largest ships in the galaxy would have trouble breaking the mile-length. in other words, 'that's no moon!' 'yes that is you y'xa'uuk moron, go around it!'

-Scape is the only way. Links between worlds are dangerous, and prone to collapse, as well as other disasters. No race completely understands it, nor do they know how to travel completely safely. Only the Navy Federation has a safer means of FTL. No, you may not use the mysteries of the Scape to make some kind of super warp-analog, or other scape-based weapons. When a ship enters the scape, it can't do anything but wait until it gets to the other side.

-No Gods, once again, no 40k! I am athiest manatee, this be athiest thread! :P In all seriousness, adding gods in a hard sci-fi thread is a bad idea. Lets just stay away from that can of worms, shall we?

-No super-advanced species. There are few factions with any semblance of technological might over the other races. At the height of the Human Empire, mankind had the most advanced plasma-weapons, armor, and spacecraft the galaxy had seen in eons. Today, nothing is as advanced. Most species and human Enclaves use simple chemical-propelled assault rifles, missiles, or railguns, with a few primitive lasers or old-empire plasma weapons to back them up. This brings me to the last one...

-No Ancient technology, this isn't Stargate either. There is no super-advanced and long-dead alien race with old technology floating around. If there was, their technology has been absorbed by time, reduced to their base elements with no chance of garnering such wonders, if there ever were any to begin with. Humanity is the closest thing to that, but they barely qualify.

If anybody's interested, have questions, post here! I know My wall of text may scare many of you, but get used to it. This is nothing. :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero - 55 BC
"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance."
LoTide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Feb 2010, 08:30   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Realm of Dissonance, Age of Strife

Me again? Please? Pretty please?

Darth_Riah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Feb 2010, 08:31   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to TheEmperorsJanitor Send a message via Yahoo to TheEmperorsJanitor

*Forgivethe somewhat harsh tone of the following statement, I mean it only as constructive criticism*

"Navy Federation?"

No offense, but that's kind of a janky name. It'd make more sense if they just called themselves The Federation or Imperials (if they see themselves as successors to the Empire. For a historical precedent, see The Byzantines referring to themselves as Romans). Sure, you'll get people going "Hey! that's ripping off Star Trek/Wars!" but ask yourself this: What reason would any organization a thousand years in the future have to shy away from such simple, accurate names for their organization? Are they afraid The shades of Lucas/Roddenberry are gonna sue them from beyond the grave?

Also, I'd make the fast breeding guys something aside from reptilian for the sake of variety, although that depends on whether they are reptilian as in anthro-lizards or more like Cardassians or something.

I'm interested in doing this BTW, otherwise I wouldn't have posted.

Also, how much stuff from the 20-21st century has survived? Is it just about impossible to have a character listening to an old recording of "The Rite of Spring" (Or any other recording of something from our era) or watching an old movie that's suitably scratched up/missing scenes ala some old silent films today?
I just don't get the attraction, how is a vampire girl sexy? It's a monster, it wants to kill you, stop thinking about having sex with it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord General Thunder
You just wasted 5 seconds of my life, you prick.
TheEmperorsJanitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Feb 2010, 15:42   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pachuco Cadaver
"Navy Federation?"

No offense, but that's kind of a janky name. It'd make more sense if they just called themselves The Federation or Imperials (if they see themselves as successors to the Empire. For a historical precedent, see The Byzantines referring to themselves as Romans).
Yes, because every time we wsa that country between Mexico and Canada, we say The United States of America, not just America. You really need to have that United states in front so that people aren't confused.

Also, expect me back maybe in 3 or 4 weeks, depending on how much time I get with a certain person. But remember, If you don't see me, and I am not dead or on the streets, that is a very, very good thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Why So Serious?
Dark Ace Cypher with the power of cliffing!
[quote=TheCuriousMonke]
[b]"You must bake muffins for the Greater Good."[/
Ace cipher zer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Feb 2010, 17:12   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
*Forgivethe somewhat harsh tone of the following statement, I mean it only as constructive criticism*

"Navy Federation?"

No offense, but that's kind of a janky name. It'd make more sense if they just called themselves The Federation or Imperials (if they see themselves as successors to the Empire. For a historical precedent, see The Byzantines referring to themselves as Romans). Sure, you'll get people going "Hey! that's ripping off Star Trek/Wars!" but ask yourself this: What reason would any organization a thousand years in the future have to shy away from such simple, accurate names for their organization? Are they afraid The shades of Lucas/Roddenberry are gonna sue them from beyond the grave?
This is actually a very-well fleshed out faction on the main boards. The Navy Federation is such because it's still mainly a Naval power. To the rest of humanity they are know as 'the navy federation', and when you say that name, people know what you're talking about, just as rainman said.

Quote:
Also, I'd make the fast breeding guys something aside from reptilian for the sake of variety, although that depends on whether they are reptilian as in anthro-lizards or more like Cardassians or something.
To clarify, I only gave very, VERY brief descriptions of the two races. The Evacians are a very muscular build, tails, crystaline horns, and greens to browns in color. I think they have wings, but I can't remember at this point. The Masurii however are more avian in design than the Evacians. They have three-jointed 'chicken legs', no tail, and a beak that forms into a crest of interlocking plates over their heads that ends at the back of the neck. Their eyes are also fairly inhuman, bulbous and pupil-less, shaped like tear-drops. Also they're varying shades of blue. Out side of that, they both have fairly different mindsets. Masurii are driven by their need to feed an ever-growing carnivorous populous, and the Evacians are driven by their need to prove their dominance over everything else. Evacians are fairly advanced from a technological stand point, while the Masurii vessels wouldn't hold a candle to most other race's ships in a one on one fight. Just a few examples of their differences.

Quote:
Also, how much stuff from the 20-21st century has survived? Is it just about impossible to have a character listening to an old recording of "The Rite of Spring" (Or any other recording of something from our era) or watching an old movie that's suitably scratched up/missing scenes ala some old silent films today?
Err....it's been almost two thousand years. I highly doubt it. Not only because much of that technology would be unusable today, but also because nobody knows WHERE earth is anymore. If such technology from today would still exist, it would probably be found in a museum somewhere in the chaotic boundries in the Jidanian enclaves.
Quote:
"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance."
Old 17 Feb 2010, 17:31   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

I've looked over what you've got in the Project Board, and I'm interested. Just give me some time to catch up with this thread too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minako
That may just be helped by massive boobs though, i'm female. I don't know how that shiz works...
arandomshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Feb 2010, 23:52   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Would be interesting to have you around, to be sure.
Quote:
Old 19 Feb 2010, 09:06   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manatee
Would be interesting to have you around, to be sure.
Interesting in what way? :huh:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minako
That may just be helped by massive boobs though, i'm female. I don't know how that shiz works...
arandomshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Feb 2010, 12:04   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Ravager

I've put something up.
Whatever happens from this point on, you only have yourself to blame, Manatee. :P

We have done the impossible... and that makes us mighty.
Firefly is pretty much made of Awesome, Funny, and Aww. Sometimes simultaneously. We'd better stop before we quote the entire script.
–tvtropes.org
Ravager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Feb 2010, 12:38   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
I'm interested in doing this BTW, otherwise I wouldn't have posted.
Same too.

It could be interesting to move the people of Dun to the future and put them in a different universe.

[hr]

When you say hard sci-fi, how hard? Because otherwise 1mile ships and the like wouldn't really be able to exsit. Is there 'anti_grav' type technologies, or are we talking mid-late 21st century type technologies available?

Gen
Genmotty is offline   Reply With Quote