Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Are you Buddhist?
View Poll Results: Are you Buddhist in the sense that you follow any sort of Buddhist teaching, be it Mahayana, Zen or
Yes. 3 9.68%
No. 22 70.97%
I follow some Buddhist beliefs/practices, but I don't consider myself Buddhist. 6 19.35%
I used to be Buddhist or followed some beliefs/practices, but I stopped. (please say why) 0 0%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06 Feb 2010, 17:30   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Are you Buddhist?

Hello all.

The aim of this thread is to gauge how many Buddhists or people who follow some teachings of Buddhism on this site. If there turn out to be quite a few, I'll try and open (and hopefully get stickied, like the Prayer Requests thread) a new thread with the sole purpose of allowing Buddhists and non-Buddhists to find help with their practices/issues pertaining to Buddhism.

The idea of that thread will be mainly helping people with any problems or trouble they might have with following Buddhist practices, and with some light commentary and debate on these things. It will not be a debating (Buddhism vs. other religions) thread.

I decided to start this endeavor because last week I thought about where my life was going and what I was going to do about my present set of circumstances. After much thought and a good long conversation with my mother (someone I can really trust) I decided to begin following Buddhism because I viewed (and still view) it as the only method I will be able to use to find inner and lasting peace within myself.

You see, my father (hang on, I'm getting to the point ) is a hothead and has been all his life. He gets angry at little things and the tiniest of imagined faults quite often and that attitude, I found, had rubbed off on me. Some of my friends had gotten into the habit of coming to watch me play computer games in the morning before school started for want of anything better to do and while that would be fine in itself but one or two of them would (one moreso than the other) ask questions about what I was playing and the game and what was going on in the game with a fair amount of the kind of pedanticism that drives most people up the wall (including me, stuff like in Oblivion, for instance, he would ask "dude, your spell isn't doing anything" when I cast a buff, or in Guild Wars "woah, that's a lot of enemies"). The way I was responding to these questions was with my (unfortunately) characteristic annoyance and anger, sometimes leading to me literally shouting things like "shut the **** up, you're not playing it so why do you even care?!".

This attitude had recently spread to encompass a lot of situations, like people in my class asking stupid questions or being disobedient to the teacher when they made a mistake or my dad getting annoyed at me and me responding far more angrily than was necessary. Viewing this in retrospect made me decide to take control of my life and myself and change it.

I decided then to become a Buddhist.

After a bit of research I decided that in order to calm my emotions and find peace within myself it would be best if I took up the Mahayana (Tibetan) branch of Buddhism. I decided against the other two mainstream branches (Theravedan and Zen) because I felt (and feel) that personally, the best way to find this peace was not through mantras and chanting or prolonged meditation. This is just a personal thing, you understand, not a judgement on those who practice these other forms of Buddhism, they are most certainly free to pursue those branches if they feel it is the best way for them.

I also considered where my life was heading. I came to the conclusion with my mother's help that I did not want to become trapped in the avenue of school to university to job to marriage (or whatever, I don't view marriage as very important) to kids to retirement to death. I felt that this avenue, for the moment, was not right for me and would not let me do what I really wanted to do. Being only 14, I still have my whole life ahead of me and don't yet feel any pressure to do certain things.

So, that in mind, what other options are there available to me? After a bit of deliberation I decided, ...deep breath... to join a monastery. I know some of you may think I'm too young to be making these sorts of decisions but the truth is I really feel that the pursuit of enlightenment and serenity is more important than learning a trade or getting a degree in whatever. I really feel that the best way for me to do this is by joining people who have followed the same path and to live amongst them, to learn with them, and to be a part of a community that truly cares and understands what I believe. Even my father, pessimist and cynic extraordinaire, told me he would have no qualms about this choice, because he believes that I am mature and intelligent enough to be making it.

I'd just like to let you guys know at this point that you are the only people I have told this to apart from one of my closest friends and my parents so far. Thank you for being so friendly and open to me and others who share the same interests as you and, even those people who don't (enclavites, here's looking at you). Thank you.

So, yes. Uh... yeah. I've kinda put up a wall of text here, haven't I? :P Ah well. Thanks for reading, if you did.

-Lord of the Pit
Frosty05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Feb 2010, 17:48   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Are you Buddhist?

No, I'd say not. I'd probably be a piss poor one even if I was. Anyone who's read my rants about hockey games can tell you that . However, I have a certain respect for the religion in general. Out of all the mainstream religions I've found that Buddhists are probably the least likely to try and impose their beliefs on others. At least from what I've seen anyway. With the divisive effect organized religion can have I find it refreshing to see a religious philosophy that has that kind of respect for other groups that may not share their opinion.
I'd hate to get on his bad side... >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Fish Ead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Feb 2010, 17:55   #3 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen

As a Chinese, we worship whichever God(s) is convenient at that moment of time which includes The Buddha and personally, The Internet :P Good choice on the Mahayana route. Kinda an extreme change for you and not what Buddhism is all about. It's all about Moderation in Life.

Take the time to find yourself. Maybe through some thinking (and I mean real pondering on life, your goals and how you're to achieve it). Or you mellow out; takes thing on the easy side for awhile but don't let it all go at once. Remember, Moderation is key. Don't fret on grades or high-end ambitions. Take the time to find your center and balance. When you got it, stay on it. Everything in moderation. Study hard and play hard. Let go of the trivial things like getting angry over a game.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Feb 2010, 22:10   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Gada Mazaha Send a message via MSN to Gada Mazaha

I've always considered myself nonreligious with Buddhist ideals.
Gada Mazaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Feb 2010, 22:18   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to ollieb8

As far back as I remember I've always been at least and agnostic and I am now an Athiest, not a militant "BELIEVE IN MY BELIEFS," type, but an understanding one. I don't know if I am a Buddhist or not but I am certainly a realist with an idea that humans are a blank slate from birth and that it's experiences that corrupt/purify (except for certain mental conditions which may either option very likely). I also do not believe in Karma, so I've gone for the "no" option...
[spoiler=40K Clones]Wanna play as clones in 40K?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circus
I'm amazed at how balanced this is. I salute you.
[/spoiler]
ollieb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Feb 2010, 22:26   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Ravager

I'm an agnostic, but there are some Buddhist beliefs I hold must be at least partially true, such as Karma. So I said some, but don't consider myself a Buddhist.

We have done the impossible... and that makes us mighty.
Firefly is pretty much made of Awesome, Funny, and Aww. Sometimes simultaneously. We'd better stop before we quote the entire script.
–tvtropes.org
Ravager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Feb 2010, 22:41   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

I'm an apatheist, and to be honest, personal experience has taught me karma works in reverse, and I don't really hold any vaguely Buddhist ideals, so I voted 'no'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minako
The female race really is disgusting.

Tomo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Feb 2010, 22:51   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Strange Child
I'm an apatheist, and to be honest, personal experience has taught me karma works in reverse, and I don't really hold any vaguely Buddhist ideals, so I voted 'no'.
I've never heard that term before, but after reading about it on wikipedia it certainly seems very interesting.
Old 06 Feb 2010, 22:57   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrant Chrysaor
Quote:
I've never heard that term before, but after reading about it on wikipedia it certainly seems very interesting.
Actually, it destroyed my love for Wikipedia.
I thought of it by myself, I was well happy with it, and then it turns out someone already thought of it, and, made a ****ing wiki article on it. I cried for days.
:P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minako
The female race really is disgusting.

Tomo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Feb 2010, 23:04   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Actually, it destroyed my love for Wikipedia.
I thought of it by myself, I was well happy with it, and then it turns out someone already thought of it, and, made a y'xa'uuk wiki article on it. I cried for days.
:P
Ahaha. I guess I've always felt a similar way, just never cared/bothered to name it or go around looking for anything.