Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Nueromancer
Old 06 May 2009, 03:22   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Nueromancer

I just read it, it's amazing. I highly recommend it to everyone. It's the original cyberpunk work, heavily influenced everything after it, is a classic on the level of 1984 or Brave New World, and is just a damn good and entertaining read. Anyone else read it?
GeekyGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 May 2009, 10:14   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Nueromancer

Read it many times over. Loved it every time. ****ing brilliant novel

"Well, a gathering is brie, mellow song stylings; shindig, dip, less mellow song stylings, perhaps a large amount of malt beverage; and hootenanny, well, it's chock full of hoot, just a little bit of nanny." Oz (Buffy, episode 2, season 3)

"I don't like coke, i just like the way it smells" Unknown

"and in the words of our lord and saviour, jesus christ, **** you if you can't take a joke" The Glass House
BloodiedFangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 May 2009, 14:37   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Read it and loved it. Count Zero and Mona Lisa Overdrive are also pretty terrific.

If you liked Neuromancer, I highly recommend Snow Crash, from Neal Stephenson. (excerpt here)
Old 06 May 2009, 20:26   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

William Gibson is one of my favourite authors. I stumbled on Neuromancer when I was 17 through a teacher and just kept going from there. There are other authors who were writing at the same time, you can also take a look at them too (Bruce Sterling, Pat Cadigan, Michael Swanwick, etc). I have read every novel Gibson has written and as many of his short stories as I can find, though his more recent stuff is no longer in the cyberpunk genre.

It is a highly influencial work and should be read by anyone interested in cyberpunk.

But you don't want to know what he does with his left...
Twiggen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 May 2009, 22:01   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Glad to hear the enthusiasm

Question: What was the point of Case' Shuriken?
Old 07 May 2009, 01:19   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to crazedmongoose2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcyCool
Read it and loved it. Count Zero and Mona Lisa Overdrive are also pretty terrific.

If you liked Neuromancer, I highly recommend Snow Crash, from Neal Stephenson. (excerpt here)

I have not read Neuromancer but I seriously vouch for Snowcrash, which was rated as one of Time's all time 100 best novels (alongside Neuromancer, the only two cyberpunk novels to do so).

Seriously, just taking the bit Icycool linked us:

Quote:
The Deliverator's car has enough potential energy packed into its batteries to fire a pound of bacon into the Asteroid Belt. Unlike a bimbo box or a Burb beater, the Deliverator's car unloads that power through gaping, gleaming, polished sphincters. When the Deliverator puts the hammer down, shit happens. You want to talk contact patches? Your car's tires have tiny contact patches, talk to the asphalt in four places the size of your tongue. The Deliverator's car has big sticky tires with contact patches the size of a fat lady's thighs. The Deliverator is in touch with the road, starts like a bad day, stops on a peseta.

About 3/4 of the novel just oozes cool like that.

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.ph...c,86474.0.html
crazedmongoose2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 May 2009, 00:36   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I finished this about a week ago, it's got some strange idea's... good though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodiedFangs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
It's like being totally wasted on drugs, only with no side effects.
eg being arrested for licking a police officer's face trying to find out if they really do taste like snozberrys
It's true!
By reading this fine print your soul is now exclusive property of Chaos Master and subsidaries, All Rights reserved >.
http://www.pkbc.net/
chaos_master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 May 2009, 07:24   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Tralfagar Send a message via MSN to Tralfagar Send a message via Yahoo to Tralfagar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazedmongoose

About 3/4 of the novel just oozes cool like that.
Agreed. That exerpt was from either the first page, or within the first 5. My personal excerpt though would have to be:

Quote:
Until a man is twenty-five, he still thinks, every so often, that under the right circumstances he could be the baddest mother****er in the world. If I moved to a martial-arts monastery in China and studied real hard for ten years. If my family was wiped out by Colombian drug dealers and I swore myself to revenge. If I got a fatal disease, had one year to live, and devoted it to wiping out street crime. If I just dropped out and devoted my life to being bad.
Hiro used to feel this way, too, but then he ran into Raven...He no longer has to worry about being the baddest mother****er in the world. The position is taken.
I've read both books, and I loved both of them, and continue to reread them when I can.
Codex: Farsight Enclaves(me)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekyGator
The divide between what gets put up on an art gallery and what gets you thrown in jail is mostly dependent on the quality of the frame, even though both are just as good for fapping.
Tralfagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 May 2009, 13:20   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

I think I read Neuromancer, along with Count Zero and Mona Lisa Overdrive. Which one was which?

Also, I wanted to read the snowcrash, but the local library didn't have it (they likely have a translated version of it with different name, but I never remember the writer when I am in there so I can't search by that. Have to write it down now that I remember.
LordDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 May 2009, 19:05   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Nueromancer is the first one, IIRC, when Case and Molly and the crazy Jamaicans free Wintermute to combine with Nueromancer.