Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

odd shapes
Old 03 May 2009, 18:18   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to wyrd_ian
Default odd shapes

evolution and the dinosaur's. Why the little arms?

I know it's not a great question but it's bugging me. Also can I eat jellyfish and if not why not?

KQD
-Disney: He's the puppet master, both our damnation and salvation. He rewards our successes and punishes us for our hubris (often in subtle but horrible ways). I suggest we do our best not to anger him, he is the greatest asset to our campaign and potentially the most fearsome foe we'll ever face.
wyrd_ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 May 2009, 18:23   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Spiritbw
Default Re: odd shapes

If your talking about like on the T. Rex, it's a balance thing. If you look at the large carnivores that were T. Rex's ancestors you'd note there was a shortening of the arms over time, but a change in posture so that they were balanced over thier rear legs. This scientists think, gave them more speed for thier size when chasing down prey.

You can't eat most jellyfish because they are poisonous. A few can be eaten however but pound for pound, there isn't much nutrients in one.
Spiritbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 May 2009, 18:54   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Diz
evolution and the dinosaur's. Why the little arms?
As Spirit said, you can see the progression to shorter and shorter arms through the various species of Theropods. There is, in fact, some speculation that the largest of the species might have been scavengers rather than hunters, which would make sense as to how they could survive without usable arms.

Also, what pictures are you looking at. Old T-Rex art is notoriously cumbersome in its portrayal. It makes more sense to tip them forward a little bit more (more like the poses you see birds in).

Quote:
I know it's not a great question but it's bugging me. Also can I eat jellyfish and if not why not?
Why would you want to? Jellyfish are more water than Tomatoes. You could just drink a glass of water and skip the poison stingers. :P
Farseer_Emlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 May 2009, 18:57   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Spiritbw

I thought the scavanger thing was discreted by most scientists as it would be quite effective as a hunter with only teeth and it's rear leg claws?
Spiritbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 May 2009, 19:21   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritbw
I thought the scavanger thing was discreted by most scientists as it would be quite effective as a hunter with only teeth and it's rear leg claws?
Maybe, but I haven't seen anything decisive one way or the other. But then again, I am mainly studying microfossils and it's been a long time since I've had any sort of education on large dinosaurs.
Farseer_Emlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 May 2009, 19:25   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritbw
From my understanding, T. Rex was half and half scavenger/hunter.
FTyross is offline   Reply With Quote