Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Emmy's wit (funny rabble rousing)
Old 01 May 2009, 13:36   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Emmy's wit (funny rabble rousing)

Let me give you some background: my wife and I are part of a local homeschool group. There are many reasons for this and I won't bore you with them here. But suffice to say that the members of the homeschool group, as a rule, adhere to a much more fundamentalist view of religion than we do and, as a result, associate with a much more conservative branch of politics than we do.

Which leads me to career day. The kids are to put together a posterboard presentation of what they want to be when they grow up. My son (6) wants to be a hydrologist. My daughter (3) wants to "study puppies" (cynology).

Hydrology is easy...present water resources, present water cycle. Talk about the flow of water and how it is a vital resource.

Cynology? That's not even a science. :P Anyway, I proposed that we get pictures of "Bo" (the Obama's dog) and discuss how people associated with cynology helped them fit the right dog to the right family. It's cute, its popular, it's widely known. Easy, right?

No. My wife is concerned. What if the group doesn't like the idea of the Obama's dog being there? :-\ Personally, I don't care, but I humor her.

Okay, new idea, we combine the two careers. We get a picture of a dog in a turban and we waterboard it...then study the flow of water around the dog's face! They'll love it!

My wife? Not amused.

Hopefully you were.
Emmy
Farseer_Emlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 May 2009, 13:46   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Chton
Default Re: Emmy's wit (funny rabble rousing)

Oh, dears xD
Got a nice chuckle from that one.
(go for it )
Chton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 May 2009, 15:43   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

I know how that is, Emlyn. I'm only 16 and have been homeschooled by my loving parents my entire life, as have my siblings. I'm currently enrolled in a program similar to internet colleges, so I actually do a ton of work each day for school contrary to what some might expect of homeschooling.

Anyway, that aside, I often get a bit tired of what so many expect of us, being homeschoolers. My family is Democrat, and, uh, well, we don't tend to get along with many of the other homeschoolers and their beliefs. It's even worse since we moved to Texas. The belly of the beast, you could say.

I got a good laugh out of your ideas, however. You should totally do them. With the waterboarding, you're teaching science and ethics all in one. It's a win/win.
Droids_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 May 2009, 16:51   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Too bad you don't have a third child who wants to be a politician that can explain why waterboarding the dog is necessary

But you don't want to know what he does with his left...
Twiggen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 May 2009, 17:19   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Spiritbw

I'd say do it but i hate to see you Lynched by some narrow minded nut.
Spiritbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 May 2009, 17:27   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Cynology? That's not even a science. :P
You'd better hope that at this stage she wants to be a veterinarian and not a biologist.

Quote:
Okay, new idea, we combine the two careers. We get a picture of a dog in a turban and we waterboard it...then study the flow of water around the dog's face! They'll love it!
I understand that you can use the method to teach dogs to speak on command and that if you do it enough the dog will tell you anything you want to hear.

Not a bad trick, if you can get away with it.

"Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil... prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon..." ~ Terry Pratchett
ParadoxRifts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 May 2009, 17:41   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

ROFL... I can just imagine doing that to Buster now ;D
FTyross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 May 2009, 19:31   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquisitor Agrippa
Too bad you don't have a third child who wants to be a politician that can explain why waterboarding the dog is necessary
Nicely done! I do have a third, but alas, he's too young to exploit. :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritbw
I'd say do it but i hate to see you Lynched by some narrow minded nut.
Lynching is so old school. Now they chain you to a wall naked and make you listen to rap music while keeping you awake with flashing lights. It really sounds worse that it actually is. :

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadoxRifts
You'd better hope that at this stage she wants to be a veterinarian and not a biologist.
I'd be fine with veterinarian or biologist. It's physician that I'd have a problem with. Scary statistic is that a large numbers of veterinary students who can't cut it go into human medicine because it's easier. :-\

Quote:
I understand that you can use the method to teach dogs to speak on command and that if you do it enough the dog will tell you anything you want to hear.

Not a bad trick, if you can get away with it.
I heard that they've been experimenting with the same methods on camels. ;D
Old 01 May 2009, 19:42   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Spiritbw

Quote:
Lynching is so old school. Now they chain you to a wall naked and make you listen to rap music while keeping you awake with flashing lights. It really sounds worse that it actually is. :
Figures torture would be the one place they keep on. I wonder what would happen if you pointed out what they are doing sounds like what you'd expect to find at a S and M club, that they seem to like doing it and if there was anything they would like to talk about?

Quote:
I'd be fine with veterinarian or biologist. It's physician that I'd have a problem with. Scary statistic is that a large numbers of veterinary students who can't cut it go into human medicine because it's easier. :-\
I suppose that is true actually when you think about it. I mean, in Veterinary your dealing wiht X number of diffrent physologies of X number of animals(some of which have X number of breeds) that you can't ask what is wrong of but have to figure out from tests and behavior.

Humans are just one species, can tell you if they have certain symptoms, have enough knowledge about you can specialize in a part of the anatomy and aren't going to bite/kick/claw if you hit a tender spot. Well, the last one might not be true...
Spiritbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 May 2009, 19:50   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritbw
Figures torture would be the one place they keep on. I wonder what would happen if you pointed out what they are doing sounds like what you'd expect to find at a S and M club, that they seem to like doing it and if there was anything they would like to talk about?
Which is a good thing why America is fighting against ultra-conservative Muslims and not biker gangs. :P