Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

An Ashamed Albertan.
Old 01 May 2009, 06:53   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Spiritbw
Default An Ashamed Albertan.

I can't believe THIS!! This is being discussed in my Provincial legislature. Judging by the comments on thea rticle, neither can many of my fellow Albertans. I didn't vote Conservative thsi time because I thought they were getting to far out there and to comfy having been in there for as long as I can remember but THIS?!

Gah!!! If the rest of Canada didn't think Alberta was Hick central before now they have undisputed proof. >
Spiritbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 May 2009, 07:22   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Chton
Default Re: An Ashamed Albertan.

Well...it could be worse.
The could have been forced to teach creationism or some other crackpot "theories". Instead of parents keeping the kids out of evolution/sexuality classes...

Still, it's a loss to the kid...
Chton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 May 2009, 13:17   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Location: In my secret lair plotting forum domination....hehe
Send a message via MSN to Tau-killer

I loved the passage saying:

"This government supports a very, very fundamental right and that is parental rights with respect to education," said Premier Ed Stelmach

Personally I would have thought that there was an even more fundamental right - the right of a child to receive a good education free from close minded, biased religious ideology.

Anyone who thinks that this move is going to lead to more balanced education is living in a dream world. The reality is that those parents who would pull their children out of these classes are those parents who are going to indoctrinate their children with their own religious views. Such children will almost certainly be taught that evolution is of the devil and that if you even look at a homosexual you're going to hell! : (Ok, maybe I exaggerate a little bit but you get my point.)

You said that this makes you ashamed to be an Albertan, Spiritbw. Well this kind of thing makes me ashamed to be a Christian. I'm sick of the way that certain members of my faith seem determined to make it a laughing stock by continually seeking to distort the education system for their own narrow minded purposes. Now, I can respect the views of someone who has rationally looked at both sides of the story and come to their own decision - even if I ultimately disagree with their point of view. However I can't respect the views of someone who believes something simply because 'my parents told me it's true so it must be true.' And I definitely cannot respect those who would try to distort the education system so that they can force their side of the argument - and their side only - on to their children.
Old 01 May 2009, 13:28   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

May I ask if you are allowed to homeschool in Alberta? That would be fundamental to my judgement of this legislation. If you are allowed to homeschool, then the parents in support of this are way out of line. However, if this is a situation where there is no option to educate your children at home and according to your own worldview, then I would argue that these parents had a legitimate complaint.

While I certainly agree that every child should have a right to a quality, unbiased education, my personal experience is that public schools are far from unbiased and the legal precident is that adults not children are for whom most laws & rights apply with the children being subordinate to their parents in the legal system. So if the parents have a right to chose their children's education and the children have a right to an unbiased eductaion, the parents win out.

Consider this, just for a moment, consider that the norm in Alberta schools it to teach children creationism and theocratic beliefs. When a child goes to school, they are taught that the God of the Christians created the world 6004 years ago ex nihilio, that the Bible is the fundamental cornerstone of truth in this world and the rest of their education is based off of this philosophy.

Would you want your child being indoctrinated with these "truths"? Regardless of how tenuous the above statements are (personally, I reject all of them), there are some people who truly believe that their children are better off believing them. I was educated with those standards myself. The end result is that you can educate the child to the best of the state's ability, you can comply with the parent's right to raise their children and you can allow the child to ultimately chose for his or herself on these matters.

But that's just my $.02
Farseer_Emlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 May 2009, 13:33   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to deraj Send a message via MSN to deraj

At least it's not your president who thinks that evolution is a maybe, and not a particularly strong one at that

That being said, there are a ton of schools in america that do that. Right down in the South West, so yeah, hick central....

Although, just out of curiosity, not to flame or anything: why does it seem that there is never anything jewish to this extent? Not enough jews in office, or just no real large concentrations of them?
deraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 May 2009, 13:42   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deraj
Although, just out of curiosity, not to flame or anything: why does it seem that there is never anything jewish to this extent? Not enough jews in office, or just no real large concentrations of them?
Oh! Oh! I know this one! Pick me!

Reason? Jews do not ascribe to a literally 7 day creation with a 6000 year old earth. The concept of creation ex nihilio (out of nothing) is a distinctly Christian belief. The Jews, because the Hebrew Bible is a more accurate translation, read Genesis 1 & 2...they see two very distinctly different creation stories and realize that they are both traditions not literal fact.

As a not-quite-a-Jew-Yawist, I like to describe the creation of the world sort of like baking a cake. You warm the oven up, gather the ingredients, add them in a specific order, then bake the cake, let it cool, and add the icing. There is a very specific construction that must be done there. Gen 1:1 literally reads "When God began to create the earth was..." So the earth is preexisting...around for...millions of years? We don't know from the text. It is very possible to make a religious interpretation that from that preexisting earth, God began to add ingredients which would prepare the world to become what he wanted it to become. That view fits very nicely into the scientific observations of evolution and geology.

But again, just my $.02. Sorry for the threadjack. :-\
Farseer_Emlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 May 2009, 15:03   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to crazedmongoose2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritbw
I didn't vote Conservative thsi time because---

Hold it right there.

You voted Tories, you got what was coming to you. Sorry.

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.ph...c,86474.0.html
crazedmongoose2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 May 2009, 15:11   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazedmongoose
Quote:
Hold it right there.

... you really don't know much about Canadian politics, do you? In Canada, "Tory" is a term for the Conservative party.

Sorry to be irritable, but this proposal from Alberta is really too stupid for rational rebuke. Hurray, our West is the new US South :.

AuinMyrrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 May 2009, 15:41   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to coolmule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dra'Tuisich-Novae
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazedmongoose
Quote:
Hold it right there.

... you really don't know much about Canadian politics, do you? In Canada, "Tory" is a term for the Conservative party.
I think Crazed knows that. He said it because Spiritbw implied he was a conservative voter until recently.
Old 01 May 2009, 15:51   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Oh, yeah, that makes sense.

Spirit, shame on you! :P
AuinMyrrath is offline   Reply With Quote