Warhammer 40K Forum

Is any of this real?
Old 02 Apr 2009, 23:40   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to wyrd_ian
Default Is any of this real?

I found this diet is any of it true?

Beer and Ice Cream Diet
As we all know, it takes 1 calorie to heat 1 gram of water 1 degree centigrade. Translated into meaningful terms, this means that if you eat a very cold dessert (generally consisting of water in large part), the natural processes which raise the consumed dessert to body temperature during the digestive cycle literally sucks the calories out of the only available source, your body fat.
For example, a dessert served and eaten at near 0 degrees C (32.2 deg. F) will in a short time be raised to the normal body temperature of 37 degrees C (98.6 deg. F). For each gram of dessert eaten, that process takes approximately 37 calories as stated above. The average dessert portion is 6 oz, or 168 grams. Therefore, by operation of thermodynamic law, 6,216 calories (1 cal./gm/deg. x 37 deg. x 168 gms) are extracted from body fat as the dessert's temperature is normalized. Allowing for the 1,200 latent calories in the dessert, the net calorie loss is approximately 5,000 calories.
Obviously, the more cold dessert you eat,the better off you are and the faster you will lose weight, if that is your goal. This process works equally well when drinking very cold beer in frosted glasses. Each ounce of beer contains 16 latent calories, but extracts 1,036 calories (6,216 cal. per 6 oz. portion) in the temperature normalizing process. Thus the net calorie loss per ounce of beer is 1,020 calories. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to calculate that 12,240 calories (12 oz. x 1,020 cal./oz.) are extracted from the body in the process of drinking a can of beer.
Frozen desserts, e.g., ice cream, are even more beneficial, since it takes 83 cal./gm to melt them (i.e., raise them to 0 deg. C) and an additional 37 cal./gm to further raise them to body temperature. The results here are really remarkable, and it beats running hands down.
Unfortunately, for those who eat pizza as an excuse to drink beer, pizza (loaded with latent calories and served above body temperature) induces an opposite effect. But, thankfully, as the astute reader should have already reasoned, the obvious solution is to drink a lot of beer with pizza and follow up immediately with large bowls of ice cream.We could all be thin if we were to adhere religiously to a pizza, beer, and ice cream diet.
Happy eating!
School of Physics, University of Sydney

KQD
-Disney: He's the puppet master, both our damnation and salvation. He rewards our successes and punishes us for our hubris (often in subtle but horrible ways). I suggest we do our best not to anger him, he is the greatest asset to our campaign and potentially the most fearsome foe we'll ever face.
wyrd_ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Apr 2009, 23:48   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Is any of this real?

The person becomes deprived of essential amino acids and dies.

That's the TL;DR without all the other ill-effects.
AuinMyrrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Apr 2009, 23:50   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to crazedmongoose2003

I go to University of Sydney and I've heard that a few times but I'm pretty sure it's meant as a joke.

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.ph...c,86474.0.html
crazedmongoose2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Apr 2009, 00:11   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

I don't think it takes into account the calories you gain from eating/drinking all that. :P
Old 03 Apr 2009, 00:48   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Diz
Well, I'm anaylse from a pint of Beers perspective. Take a pint of bitter at 5 degrees celsius. Being as beer is mostly water, we'll take it's specific heact capacity to be about the same as water at 4000 J kg[sup]-1[/sup] k[sup]-1[/sup]

Now there are about 180kcal in a pint of beer, and there is 1 calorie = 4.18 joules. Therefore there is 752,000J of energy in the beer.

To raise the beer to body temperature at 37 degrees, we need to know roughtly how many kg a pint is, knowing that 1 litre of water = 1 kg, and 1 litre = 1.76 pints. Then the energy to raise the beers temperature will be 72,700J

Therefore there is 10 times as much energy in the pint of beer, then the energy required to warm it up...

[hr]

I would imagine with ice cream containing fat and cream and sugar to follow a simmilar trend.

It would appear to be false.
Gen

EDIT:
Quote:
Each ounce of beer contains 16 latent calories, but extracts 1,036 calories (6,216 cal. per 6 oz. portion) in the temperature normalizing process. Thus the net calorie loss per ounce of beer is 1,020 calories.
I have now idea what any of this means to be frank. Latent calories? Never heard of that before, temperature normalizing process? again don't know what that means, hell you don't even need to convert the temperature units. All I can think this latter statement is trying to say is 'attain thermal equilibrum with the body' which if it was the department of physics, I'm sure they would state that instead (better terminology).

The text for beer never said how cool their beer was, I'm not a barman, but I'd guess my beer doesn't come out the tap much cooler than 5 degrees C, certianly not as ice.

However lets do a calculation for eatting 500g of ice cream.
About 185kcal per 100g. Therefore 376,000J in your 500g of ice cream.
Again simmilar heat capacitys as water,
Latent heat required to melt ice to water: 167,000J
heat required to warm water to 37 degrees C: 74,000

Therefore;
376000-167000+74000 = 283000J

Hence your still gaining energy from eatting ice cream.

Myth Busted!

Gen

EDITED:

Oh and because I can lets do the algerbra;

Net Energy = Energy in Food - (Latent Heat of Melting + Specific Heat of Warming)

E = m[K*4.18 - (L + c*T)]

Where K is the calories in 1 kg, m is the mass of the food to be consumed, L is the Latent heat of melting the substance (or simmilar substance to food, just Google search) c, is the specfic heat capacity of warming of the substance (or simmilar ... ) and T is the temperature differance in celcius or kelvin.

There you go. Go calculate!

Gen

FINAL EDIT:
The error in the oridginal calculation appears to be a gross understatement of the calories in the food. These they have coin 'Latent calories' (for some odd reason). This site here tells you the kcal in 100g of ice cream. kcal is ?,000cal basically one thousand calories.

http://www.nutracheck.co.uk/calories...ice_cream.html

...and for beer;

http://www.weightlossresources.co.uk...er/alcohol.htm

There, referanced.

Gen
Genmotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Apr 2009, 03:56   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Yo, Genmotty....

I freaking love you ;D Best post I've seen in a while.
Old 03 Apr 2009, 04:04   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to deraj Send a message via MSN to deraj

But does this mean drinking cold soda is slightly better than luke warm soda? Cold pizza better than hot?

Or are the effects negligable?
deraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Apr 2009, 04:28   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Technically, both. Your body will lose heat to the cold drink and be forced to burn a tiny bit more energy to make up the difference, but the effect is so small as to be non-existent. Also, it depends on what the body is otherwise having to do to maintain normal operating temperature. If it's barely above freezing and you have the cold drink, then your body will have to create more heat, likely by shivering, to make up for it. If it's the middle of Summer and you are sweating anyway, then the cold drink might actually make your body expend less energy in trying to cool itself.

Also, keep in mind that the "calorie" that nutritionists mean when they use the word is 1000 of the calories that physicists use when talking about energy transfer. Genmotty didn't mention that, but I saw him doing the math with kilocalories not regular calories so he clearly wasn't fooled! That means that the hundred or so calories in the drink are enough energy to raise the body temperature a lot more than you might think.
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Apr 2009, 01:46   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genmotty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Diz
Well, I'm anaylse from a pint of Beers perspective. Take a pint of bitter at 5 degrees celsius. Being as beer is mostly water, we'll take it's specific heact capacity to be about the same as water at 4000 J kg[sup]-1[/sup] k[sup]-1[/sup]

Now there are about 180kcal in a pint of beer, and there is 1 calorie = 4.18 joules. Therefore there is 752,000J of energy in the beer.

To raise the beer to body temperature at 37 degrees, we need to know roughtly how many kg a pint is, knowing that 1 litre of water = 1 kg, and 1 litre = 1.76 pints. Then the energy to raise the beers temperature will be 72,700J

Therefore there is 10 times as much energy in the pint of beer, then the energy required to warm it up...

[hr]

I would imagine with ice cream containing fat and cream and sugar to follow a simmilar trend.

It would appear to be false.
Gen

EDIT:
Quote:
Each ounce of beer contains 16 latent calories, but extracts 1,036 calories (6,216 cal. per 6 oz. portion) in the temperature normalizing process. Thus the net calorie loss per ounce of beer is 1,020 calories.
I have now idea what any of this means to be frank. Latent calories? Never heard of that before, temperature normalizing process? again don't know what that means, hell you don't even need to convert the temperature units. All I can think this latter statement is trying to say is 'attain thermal equilibrum with the body' which if it was the department of physics, I'm sure they would state that instead (better terminology).

The text for beer never said how cool their beer was, I'm not a barman, but I'd guess my beer doesn't come out the tap much cooler than 5 degrees C, certianly not as ice.

However lets do a calculation for eatting 500g of ice cream.
About 185kcal per 100g. Therefore 376,000J in your 500g of ice cream.
Again simmilar heat capacitys as water,
Latent heat required to melt ice to water: 167,000J
heat required to warm water to 37 degrees C: 74,000

Therefore;
376000-167000+74000 = 283000J

Hence your still gaining energy from eatting ice cream.

Myth Busted!

Gen

EDITED:

Oh and because I can lets do the algerbra;

Net Energy = Energy in Food - (Latent Heat of Melting + Specific Heat of Warming)

E = m[K*4.18 - (L + c*T)]

Where K is the calories in 1 kg, m is the mass of the food to be consumed, L is the Latent heat of melting the substance (or simmilar substance to food, just Google search) c, is the specfic heat capacity of warming of the substance (or simmilar ... ) and T is the temperature differance in celcius or kelvin.

There you go. Go calculate!

Gen

FINAL EDIT:
The error in the oridginal calculation appears to be a gross understatement of the calories in the food. These they have coin 'Latent calories' (for some odd reason). This site here tells you the kcal in 100g of ice cream. kcal is ?,000cal basically one thousand calories.

http://www.nutracheck.co.uk/calories...ice_cream.html

...and for beer;

http://www.weightlossresources.co.uk...er/alcohol.htm

There, referanced.

Gen
Can we ban for confuing people?
Old 04 Apr 2009, 01:51   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Yeah, the error seems to be with the kcal and cal conversions. That said drinking a cold glass of ice water won't ever hurt you.
GeekyGator is offline   Reply With Quote