Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Siiiiiiiiigh..... my life
Old 17 Mar 2009, 07:37   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Siiiiiiiiigh..... my life

I havent played 40k im about 2 years, but I love this community and thought I might as well post here as I haven't been here in awhile. Basically I have been given an opportunity by my parents, they will pay for all 4 years as long as I choose a christian school. I chose their offer, because I didn't want to exit college with piles of debt. I myself am I against organized religion in all forms and consider myself a humanist in all respects. I attend Seattle Pacific University and have since sept. , a pretty liberal school in terms of christianity. No church requirements, no drinking/smoking on or off campus but that is fairly unenforced, next year you will be allowed off campus.

The real problem is the people. They are very firm in what they believe and I get a lot of alienation because I am not shy about what I believe. Now I have a great deal with friends, I'm social, I go to University of Washington parties and get out and do things. But I feel like i'm shunned. Im one of 3 kids on campus that is into the underground metal scene. People look down on my atheism, they constantly try to argue and sometimes I get pissed. People judge me for no reason. Im far from the conservative image. I wear ratty clothes with illegible metal band t-shirts. I've been told im intimidating, though im the biggest ball of goo out there. But anyway, a local band from where i'm from: Carnifex played a show. I bought a sweatshirt because it was the only design I liked and it was rather errrrrrrrr bold :3...

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/l...store/Kill.jpg

Watch out, it was a potty word on it. My school may not have rules on language (as you read below) and clothing but this forum does and I respect them...

I had a professor come up to me while I was eating lunch on my day off and chewed me out for wearing it. He told me if I was at a PUBLIC HIGH SCHOOL, i could have been kicked out (hmmmm private college at the age of 18 eating lunch> public high school as a minor in class) jhe also said I am a typical youth of my generation trying so hard to be unique. Thats not really a bad thing IMO. Im not struggling to be unique, I am who I am. I dont care about what people look at me on the street. If I need to make a nice impression I take a shower and wear a suit, if I'm walking down the street I wear one of my favorite band's shirt because I support them. You can have your opinions on whether its tasteless or not, but our university has 0 policies on clothing choices, and I have my rights to wear whatever I want. I was very upset almost borderline offended.

I dont know why I posted here, maybe to vent or whatever get some feedback. Everytime I attempt to explain my problems at school it goes nowhere.

Peace,

Marc

[img width=407 height=650]http://i25.tinypic.com/28jcqwj.jpg[/img]
Sitarangi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Mar 2009, 07:50   #2 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen
Default Re: Siiiiiiiiigh..... my life

Syph, I think I know how you feel. I fit in with nobody here. But I'm perfectly with being myself and alone. Gives you time to think and reflect on some things. I'm like the the few Muslims here (I'm in a Private University where the most of the Chinese go. The Muslims will go to the Public University.). And about the Hoody? I guess they don't see it as normal. I've seen many people wearing those kind of things but they're some of the nicest people. Nicer than 'well-dressed' people I've met especially those rich snooty kids.

Don't need to mingle with those kind of people, Syph. **** them. Seriously. They're not the best people around to be. Be yourself. Be open minded. Open yourself to Chaos!
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Mar 2009, 07:51   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Ever been to the Tacoma UW? heard they had a theater, the closest type of church like college is PLU, in Parkland to me, I never bothered looking there.

Ignore an idealist. College professors should view things only as one on one business from the point you get in. If you choose to go to class, you choose to go to class. Unless you are working on financial aid they should do what Chapelle mentions as the Black Bush...they should shut the %$^^ up, just shut the %^&% up . You are there to pay for the overpriced books, for an overstandardized course, and classes you may never need yet need to pay a car worth to get through, and only a theory in basis in return (of course if you decide to get a worthless degree ZING ouch...)

I would smile and laugh, and continue about my business. The problem is, if you are different you stand out to people, they feel threatened. Religion stands at a fundamental weakness, everyone interprets the same thing, a different way, that works for enviornment.

Now off to study my ethics book.
pepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Mar 2009, 22:43   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepsi
Ignore an idealist. College professors should view things only as one on one business from the point you get in. If you choose to go to class, you choose to go to class. Unless you are working on financial aid they should do what Chapelle mentions as the Black Bush...they should shut the %$^^ up, just shut the %^&% up . You are there to pay for the overpriced books, for an overstandardized course, and classes you may never need yet need to pay a car worth to get through, and only a theory in basis in return (of course if you decide to get a worthless degree ZING ouch...)
hahaa... I lold...

Another gripe is that kids here think their at summer camp. The dorm is my house, its where I keep my things and where I get away from all their religious nonsense. I've sat down with a friend to watch a movie and find the batteries in my controller gone (my xbox is my DVD player). I've lost 6 sets of rechargeable batteries like this. Or another example is ill go to safeway and buy a bunch of generic soda and ill come back and half will be gone and their'll be a dollar stuck to my fridge. Or someone will take one of my many movies and leave a note. This kind of stuff is not OK. I have really flipped out on people for that and some just do not get the message.

[img width=407 height=650]http://i25.tinypic.com/28jcqwj.jpg[/img]
Sitarangi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Mar 2009, 01:52   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to coolmule

My view on clothes is a mean one. Where I went to college a guy would be looked down on for wearing ratty clothes and metal hoodies. Religion dosnt even come into it. No, I don't think people should be judged based on their clothing, but I make an effort all day, every day, and it pays socially.

Respect is due for not getting furious with the would-be converters though. And taking your shit is just not cool.
Old 18 Mar 2009, 03:47   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Dress sharp, you will feel better.

Don't go to a college you hate. It's almost never to late to transfer.

Realise that allot of "Christian" colleges don't take the religion thing very seriously. They will make you take classes on religion, but many of them don't specify which one. Don't quote me, but I think it's the Jesuit colleges that are generally the most open minded. Besides, the history of christianity is interesting.

If somebody tries to debate you, compromise and use humour. Or brush it off and change the topic.

Get a lock. Flipping out is lame and burns bridges. People who see you going nuts will always think less of you.
the_vilest_worm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Mar 2009, 11:43   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Yaifrog

I'm a Christian and I go to a Christian school. Because it's a good school, a lot of non-Christians go there, so only about half of my friends there are actually Christian. Most of my friends that aren't Christian openly mock the Christian people's beliefs. We all get along fine.

Trust me, it doesn't matter if you're Christian or not, if you find some good friends they won't treat you any differently because you don't believe what they do.

(But you have to get used to the fact that wherever there are Christians, there's evangelism. It's what we do :P)
Yaifrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Mar 2009, 14:15   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to coolmule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaifrog
(But you have to get used to the fact that wherever there are Christians, there's evangelism. It's what we do :P)
Not in England, thankfully.
Old 23 Mar 2009, 03:16   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Something I've works is just go with the flow, I have a lot of Christian friends even though I'm Agnostic, A few of them have tried to argue with me. When this happens I tell them that Im agnostic, Its my choice and that I don't try to force my beliefs on them and that they should do the same or leave me the **** alone. It is your choice and its really none of their ****ing business, If they are a true friend they will respect that and leave it at that, If not they aren't worth your time. Life is a whole lot better if you just let it happen. Gah Im rambling..... Anyways, what works for me is Just don't care, I don't care what people think of me. If they get up in my face about something I first tell them to shut up, and that I don't care, If that doesn't work you leave if possible, and well if that doesn't work or cant be done you just tune them out, it takes some work but eventually they shut up or leave. People HATE it when you act like they don't exist, but anyways I hope some of that made sense as Im very sleep deprived right now and good luck.

On the Topic of people taking stuff
I know the feeling, but the thing I hate more is when someone asks to borrow something and I let them, but they return it damaged majorly in some way (Circle Scratch on Xbox Game Etc.)
Don't you know? Marines have the And They Shall Follow No Rules special rule.
Quote:
Originally Posted by enderwiggin
Meh, shooting roman candles in the face of the SM's charging you IS pretty ballsy...
Ashtoruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Mar 2009, 04:19   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Of course, if you talk about atheism allot, you're inviting theists to debate you. Not to mention you probably annoy them as much as they annoy you...
the_vilest_worm is offline   Reply With Quote