Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

It's a small world.
Old 10 Mar 2009, 14:39   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default It's a small world.

Today, I found out at work that one of the components that we are currently churning out are being made specifically for.. *Duh duh duh!* .. use by the Israeli Defense Force or IDF. Aside from making me an inadvertent pawn of the great satan [:], it amazed me that something I was doing to raise money between college courses touched in admittedly a rather trivial fashion on such an important conflict more than half a world away.

But to get away from yet another discussion on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. I'm curious if anyone here has had a similar experience of having touched bases with something going on in the world and would like to mention it?

"Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil... prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon..." ~ Terry Pratchett
ParadoxRifts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Mar 2009, 15:02   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: It's a small world.

Having been in the IT consulting industry with clients in the Fortune top 500, yes, i know the feeling, but a job is a job.

Can't name names it's part of the NDA i signed, but if you guys are game for a 'guessing game' I could try.

First one (mid 90s) is the overhyped litigation of a global monopoly firm (environmental issues).
Last one (early last year) is some inside info on the global economic crisis. (what will be bought, under what terms, etc)

omegatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Mar 2009, 15:25   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Tausand sun Send a message via Yahoo to Tausand sun

ah big hands in small places.... I'd say something but "technically" it's classified. Oh but I am working with my friend on building up the SPUSA. Nothing that I just recently found out but I'm doing my part.
"The Imperium has abandoned us brothers! And these blue-skinned "saviors" seek only to enslave us. Follow me and march to freedom so we might transform the galaxy into a peaceful place for all sentient species!" -- Commander Alexander of the 88th Aldarian Phoenix Regiment
Tausand sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Mar 2009, 19:30   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

I think this is an enclave topic.

[hr]

Quote:
I'm curious if anyone here has had a similar experience of having touched bases with something going on in the world and would like to mention it?
Hmm...
-Anti-Iraq demonstrations (Manchester)
-Scout Jamborees/global activities
-Being part of a MP election team
-Anti-BNP rally
-Being lectured by someone who works for BAE (they supply arms to many nations)
-Being lectured by someone who works at CERN periodically
-Living within 400m of one of the coldest known points in the Universe

Yeah, that's preaty much it. If you think about it, it's not that odd that you come into contact with so much going on in the world. I mean, ever heard of the 6 degrees of seperation?

Gen
Genmotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Mar 2009, 19:39   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

OMG you live next to paris hilton.... okay that was bad but it had to be said, to every one of her fans I apologize. But seriously, you work with CERN that's cool.
"The Imperium has abandoned us brothers! And these blue-skinned "saviors" seek only to enslave us. Follow me and march to freedom so we might transform the galaxy into a peaceful place for all sentient species!" -- Commander Alexander of the 88th Aldarian Phoenix Regiment
Old 10 Mar 2009, 20:00   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
I'm curious if anyone here has had a similar experience of having touched bases with something going on in the world and would like to mention it?
Hmm, I met the author of a book called 'Taming the Tiger'. He used to be in close protection for some big names. I also met an ex-russian-mafia boss.

I've done work for lots of well-known establishments, including Universities, Hospitals and companies. Glaxosmithcline, the Royal Free Hospital, BAE (we had a guy from there in our offices today, coincidentally), the Royal Botanic Gardens, the Police (not the band, lol), Formula One teams, Cambridge, Edinburgh, Mercedes etc etc
I am not directly involved in any of the work they are doing, but it's still strange to read things in the news that probably required the use of a system I've built.

Quote:
I mean, ever heard of the 6 degrees of seperation?
Yeah that sprang to mind.
Old 10 Mar 2009, 21:32   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

GAHHHHH russian mafia RUN!!!!!! Don't get me wrong, I see a Sicilian Cosa Nostra, and I won't hesitate to kill them on the spot but the russians.................... i'm 6' 5" 300lb and they scare me.

Edit: oh EX-Russian mafiya... wait he was alive? How'd he manage that?
Old 10 Mar 2009, 21:45   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via Yahoo to Hairy Grim

Have been on many anti-war demonstrations, most in London, one in Brighton & one right outside a place where B-52s (think that's what they were, I was 5 or 6 or 7 back then) were taking off.

My dad also runs the Oxfam Logistics Warehouse, although that might not count as it isn't me.
Old 10 Mar 2009, 23:29   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

I've been sent 5 times to fight in an unjust war to take down men that my own country has trained (Osama attended BMT in Lackland, the US helped Saddam into power) just so that we could steal their oil.

USAFTACP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Mar 2009, 23:57   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

dang, that's just horrible, 5 times? well heck if it's unjust, then even one time is horrendous.