Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Cancer Sniffing Dogs!
Old 09 Mar 2009, 11:53   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Cancer Sniffing Dogs!

heard about it tongith on Good News Week... I just thought it was pretty cool....
limpchickeninabizkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Mar 2009, 11:55   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Cancer Sniffing Dogs!

I wonder how precises they are. Can they detect faint amounts of Cancer? I didn't know that cancer gave off a scent. Neat-o.
Originally Posted by The Strange Child
Sigged.
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss,the abyss gazes also into you.
~Friedrich Nietzsche
Grindgobble Witherfume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Mar 2009, 02:26   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

It'd be interesting if you had prostate cancer and one started sniffing you.....

Or if a male dog had prostate cancer.... there'd be no change in normal behaviour!
limpchickeninabizkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Mar 2009, 03:04   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

I think that there should be more science on this topic. There must be tests and results we can gawk at. I want to know the limits of these cancer-detection animals.
Originally Posted by The Strange Child
Sigged.
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss,the abyss gazes also into you.
~Friedrich Nietzsche
Grindgobble Witherfume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Mar 2009, 08:39   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Pah! Who needs science when we have Good News Week?

But seriously, how does cancer 'smell' any different?
shaso_montyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Mar 2009, 15:35   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Probably toxins. A lot of cancers don't actually kill by themselves, but by the toxins they emit.

Dogs are notoriously sensitive to smell, so they can probably pick up on even minor changes.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Mar 2009, 18:34   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to arguleon-veq

My mum has a dog called Rosie, my little sisters home tutor got breast cancer a while ago. The dog never bothered with the woman for years but not long before she got diagnosed with it, Rosie would start to sit next to her during the lessons and rest her head against the tutors chest/breasts.

Dogs have helped us in a great many roles throughout our history and as our world is changing, so are their roles, they still have parts to play and are not 'just pets'.

I read an article in the Times not long ago with a writer calling for ALL dogs to be banned because of the attack on a baby by a Jack Russel and a Staff. I am sure the people who have been treated for cancer because of dogs, been rescued when lost, the victims of crime who have had criminals taken down by police dogs, would all disagree.
Old 10 Mar 2009, 23:42   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

It has been scientifically tested and proven that dogs can be trained to detect and identify cancerous human cells.

Personal anecdotes of how the dog would not leave the ladies left breast alone for month and months until she went to get herself checked and had breast cancer abound everywhere. but there was also tests- I seen it on science channel a few years ago.

The dog- who identified the breast cancer in the above story- was further trained and rewarded for identifying known cancerous cells- much like a dog is trained to detect drugs or explosives...

Then, as the final test, several vials of samples were lined up in a room one random one known to be cancerous, and the dog was told to find the cancer. It found it 98% of the time. But there was an anomoly- sometimes it 'hit' on another sample- one that wasnt cancerous. [do you see where this is going?]

The dog kept 'hitting' on this second vial consistently no matter how it was juggled around, and eventually the lab tested tis other sample more closely- it turns out it WAS cancerous.. but JUST barely- like the cancer had onset in the body only a week prior or so- and incredibly early warning of cancer in this man who was thought to be 'free'

So yes, dogs can smell Cancer- right through our skin- crazy what dogs can smell, huh?
Old 11 Mar 2009, 08:33   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Well, its damned impressive, thats for sure.
shaso_montyr is offline   Reply With Quote