Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

More "Video games are the DEVIL" BS...
Old 08 Mar 2009, 04:40   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Sidstyler Send a message via MSN to Sidstyler
Default More "Video games are the DEVIL" BS...

http://www.cbc.ca/fifth/2008-2009/top_gun/video.html

Translation: VIDEO GAMES ARE EVIL (especially Call of Duty 4) AND WILL KILL YOUR CHILDREN.

I get the point they're trying to make, yeah...addiction is bad, an addiction can destroy you. But you can be addicted to anything, smoking, drugs, alcohol, even eating, any damn thing you can think of. Really though, I'm getting sick and tired of this repeated attempt to demonize gaming. It is harmless fun, there is a very huge difference between fantasy and reality, and the only time there's ever a problem is when someone CAN'T tell the difference or when someone just takes it too far, as was apparently the case when this little Canadian boy died.

But still, kids threaten to run away all the time. I even skipped school once (I believe that was when Final Fantasy 7 came out, though I did feel somewhat ill it wasn't debilitating :P) over a game, and cut class so I could hang out with a girl outside smoking, and other normal teenage things. I just wish someone could tell the media "SHIT HAPPENS."

Oh yeah, almost forgot, this blonde idiot wants a big, fat "WARNING: NOT FOR KIDS" sticker on the front of every game box, because the big "M" rating in the bottom isn't enough, you need a giant god-damned warning label.

Warhams is serious business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard
Knowing the rules is not WAAC. Bringing tough lists is not WAAC. Acting within the scope of the rules is not WAAC.
Sidstyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Mar 2009, 05:22   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Luy22 Send a message via MSN to Luy22
Default Re: More "Video games are the DEVIL" BS...

...A feral Jack Thompson got him.

Being serious now... Wow... :/ How old was this kid? I'd never run away if my parents took away my Xbox (Not like they ever would... I'm mature and do what I am supposed to do to make sure they would not ground me or any of the like )

I never ran away from home too. Farthest I ever got was the end of the street lol.

And it annoys me that my family still thinks I'm completely addicted to video gaming, when I only rent games now and only play for an hour or two before getting bored.

LOL "I feel anger when I hit one of them and they don't die."
Only then your life I will save
Luy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Mar 2009, 06:09   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Just looked at my copy of CoD4...MA15+...There is a very good reason they put that on there. Restricted to people UNDER the age of 15.

Honestly when they say we always saw him playing the game, how much was always? A quick glance in his room when they got home from work? Did they even try to enforce playing times when he first got it?
Dangerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Mar 2009, 06:12   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luy22
LOL "I feel anger when I hit one of them and they don't die."
Ha ha, yes...many lolz at that. :P

That's normal though, who doesn't get pissed off when you shoot someone so many times that they really should be dead but aren't?

Anyway, as for "Major League Gaming", which until now I thought was actually a joke...that's crazy. $100,000 for playing games? Really? And I was also surprised to find that even Magic: The Gathering paid out a lot of money, one kid has won thousands by playing a ****ing CCG (which I learned not long ago from those stupid cards they put in Magic decks)! And those kids seriously thought of themselves as true athletes, and even worked out and had sponsorships if I'm not mistaken? I never took "E-sports" all that seriously but I guess it is kinda taking off.

I dunno though...I am strictly a "for fun" kinda guy, I don't like competition at all (and mostly because I'm not dedicated enough at anything to be any good and be worth competing), and I still see video games as harmless fun. I've never liked tournaments much and this is kinda why, it's just what competition does to people, and it happens with real sports all the time. People take steroids or illegal performance enhancing drugs to get ahead because it isn't just a fun game of baseball, it's a career, there's money on the line, and it's the same case with this as well. I wish video games hadn't become so damned serious.

But still, I thought some of the points she made were rather stupid. There's a rating system for a reason, I mean what more do you really want? A big banner that covers half the box art telling you what you should already know, "This game is kinda violent, in case you couldn't tell by the giant gun-wielding soldier on the front and the word "WARFARE" in the title you freaking ditz, so don't buy this for your kid if you have any doubts whatsoever about the amount of willpower they possess or their ability to distinguish between real and unreal." The rating isn't that hard to miss, and a brief read through of the back of the box art should give you a pretty good idea of what a game is actually about. That and if I recall correctly, the 360 at least has some kind of parental control settings anyway, doesn't it?

You can't protect your child from everything, but you have many tools at your disposal to limit what they're exposed to. When they're off on their own at school or whatever it's beyond your control, kids are gonna learn "bad words" and pick up other things before they probably should, no one can stop it. But you can choose not to buy violent games and movies for your children if you suspect they aren't mature enough to handle it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luy22
And it annoys me that my family still thinks I'm completely addicted to video gaming, when I only rent games now and only play for an hour or two before getting bored.
Eh, parents are stupid like that sometimes. I used to talk to a girl whose parents actually controlled her eating because, in their opinion, she was too fat, even though she was too damn thin if anything. She told me all she was allowed to eat one night for dinner was two chicken strips and water and was complaining about being hungry while talking online. On the other hand I've seen another girl complain in an online journal because her family all think she's anorexic even though she's a completely healthy weight, and kept trying to force her to eat more. :huh:

Some people are just clueless and probably shouldn't be having kids at all.

Quote:
Knowing the rules is not WAAC. Bringing tough lists is not WAAC. Acting within the scope of the rules is not WAAC.
Old 08 Mar 2009, 13:08   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

You can get parental controls on most of the new consoles today.

Sheesh i go on my PS3 for about an hour a day if i don't have better things to do, i don't watch tv at night, i don't spend all day infront of a screen (coursework maybe) and my parents still claim its an addiction. The later on when ive gone to bed and two hours later they are still watching tv it sort of shows up doesn't it.
With a console you are directly engaged in whats happening, so why is it worse than sitting around watching television?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piedmon
Phwoar.
manic-swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Mar 2009, 13:21   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

It's not. If anything I'd say television is worse than gaming. I don't even watch TV anymore.

Quote:
Old 08 Mar 2009, 15:19   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

This.

IS.

BULLSHIT!

Do you know how much of my life revolves around guns? I do army shit pretty much every day and every night. I go to the rifle range with my girlfriend when we have time off, we go to the tank museum etc.

I take days off and go paintballing with my civilian buddies. I come home (To the base) and play COD4 or Gears of war.

That is A LOT of military/gun stuff, and pretty much all of it requires me shooting at people/targets, or looking at machines of war which have shot at people.

Am I crazy? Hells yeah! But crazy enough to kill people because I'm addicted to violence? Nah. I'm mature. I am 16 years of age. Yes, I get urges to go to school and shoot up people (WITH PAINTBALL GUNS JUST TO CLARIFY) but do I do it? No. Because thats wrong!

People (be it parents or lawyers) are simply using video gaming as a scapegoat for the other problems this child had. Any indication of ADD or ADHD? I have the latter, and am on medication for it. If I don't like something, I won't do it, and I won't pay attention otherwise. I'm not that bad, but I have known guys who need ritalin (I'm on concerta, a very weak version of ritalen) and it completley changes them, but I'm not sure if its for the better. But this childs behavior to me screams ADD or severe ADHD, the way that he doesn't care about anything else.

I used to be like that. Home from school at 4, on my computer till 11, go to bed. I was addicted. I liked the computer, and so gave it all my attention. But I grew out of it, even without medication. Or were the parents abusive (in any sense of the word)? Gaming could have been an escape for this kid. Maybe if his dad beat him up, he used the game to get back at his dad?

There is much more to it then just video games = evil. It does deserve some thought and investigation, I think.
Old 09 Mar 2009, 02:24   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Yeah, that's another thing...all this talk about guns and violence in video games destroying kids, what is it she's trying to say about people who do this as a career? Call of Duty 4 isn't pure fantasy (well, it is, but it's a game based on the modern military and all, this is the kinda crap they do on a daily basis I'd imagine), war is real, people are ordered to shoot and kill other people in real life and get paid for it nonetheless, and it's also a job that demands a huge amount of respect from the public. You're regarded as a hero by everyone, but participating in a tournament for $100k (which I still can't believe, I guess I should have taken games more seriously while growing up, I could have bought myself a new car if I didn't SUCK ASS) and not actually causing real harm to any real person and gaining fame and admiration from the gaming community for it is the real evil here?

I don't see her taking a gigantic crap on the government, who pay people to call teens every other day in the weeks leading up to graduation and encourage them to join the Marines or Army or what have you (I got like 6-7 calls before they finally gave up...funnily enough it only took one phone call for my brother, who weighs about 300 pounds and has asthma. Guess they're a bit picky), but she'll go after the people who don't have guns, tanks, and planes at their disposal, the video game industry, and blame it all on them. Video games are the devil, they teach kids how to kill and reward them for it and make them feel good about themselves, violence never happened before video games were around.

Anyway, yeah, games are a scapegoat. Notice the parents were in complete denial too (I don't think we're bad parents, I just told my kid to go ahead and run away and he fell out of a tree and died), and all the kids friends were basically pulling a Springer-style "Oh everyone likes ta talk shit but you don' know!" on everyone. I agree it's a bit heartless to say it's the kids own fault, I mean you can't really blame anyone for being addicted to anything (except smoking, with everything we know now there really is no excuse, if you take it up you know the risks involved and don't really deserve any sympathy in my opinion...not that anyone's ever asked for it, just saying), and I'm not even really saying the parents are to blame, but it really sounded like they were trying to place blame on the gaming industry as a whole for his death, and if not the industry then the attitude generated by things like Major League Gaming. I mean come on, that whole "I wish I'd never got him an Xbox" thing in the end, you might as well say "Microsoft killed my boy", it's ridiculous.

I will say that simply pulling the plug on the game is a bit retarded, though. When someone is clearly addicted to something, is it EVER a good idea to simply cut them off and force them to give it up cold turkey? Did they even attempt to get the kid any actual help or just take matters into their own hands, assuming that simply getting rid of the Xbox would magically heal everything and they'd get their kid back?

Quote:
Old 09 Mar 2009, 02:47   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to deraj Send a message via MSN to deraj

Personally I find this whole "Addicted to video games" a load of Shtlk. Ok, video games are fun, when you have fun, your brain releases dopamine, so of course you're going to want to play more. But there is no real addiction to them.

And the whole thing about smokers should know the risk and such is bull Sid, there is far more to it than that.
deraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Mar 2009, 03:36   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Lonely Tau

Just before anybody else with any particular memory skills remembers, this was one of the ORIGINAL "video games are evil" BS, and we also had a few page topic on this back in the day. You know, back when it actually happened :P

Also,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidstyler
I don't see her taking a gigantic Klkn on the government, who pay people to call teens every other day in the weeks leading up to graduation and encourage them to join the Marines or Army or what have you (I got like 6-7 calls before they finally gave up...funnily enough it only took one phone call for my brother, who weighs about 300 pounds and has asthma. Guess they're a bit picky), but she'll go after the people who don't have guns, tanks, and planes at their disposal, the video game industry, and blame it all on them. Video games are the devil, they teach kids how to kill and reward them for it and make them feel good about themselves, violence never happened before video games were around.
The Government didn't kill her kid, remember?
Originally Posted by coolmule
I wear a y'xa'uuk pretty dress, suggestively tilt my tankard of beer, and it's all "bet this" and "persuasion that". Mianko wakes up, grabs a photo, and everyone's mesmerized. What the y'xa'uk do I have to do to earn affection????
Hey baby, what're you doing this weekend? :-*
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmule
Tiwaz is my new forum favourite.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager Zero
This is the kind of man who has to shave out eyes and a nose every morning before work. :P
Lonely Tau is offline   Reply With Quote