Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

 

Warhammer 40K Forum

The ultimate battle of ultimate destiny (NO! NOT THE ONE YOU'RE THINKING OF)
Reply
Old 18 Feb 2009, 23:38   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Wouldn't you like to know... pervert
Posts: 4,077
Default The ultimate battle of ultimate destiny (NO! NOT THE ONE YOU'RE THINKING OF)

If you clicked on this topic to see that crappy video everyone's seen thirty seven billion times before, you're out of luck. The purpose of this topic is far more daring than that, the conflict far more ambitious and far more serious. This is the true ultimate battle of ultimate destiny!

I intend to prove, through the use of logical analyses, lots of random assumptions and a very large amount of shouting-to-get-my-point-across, which is the better franchise.








VS



Mission impossible I know, but here goes... oh, FYI, that's the ORIGINAL POKEMON and the ORIGINAL DIGIMON, i.e. the first 150 Pokemon and the first generation of Digimon.

THE CARTOON SERIES

The Plot

Digimon scores an early point here, the plotline for the Digimon series was superior to Pokemon in just about every way. For starters, the plotline of Pokemon was explained from day one, it was Ash going out to win badges and catch pokemon. This was essentially just a thin premise over which episodes could be hung. The Digimon plot line was far more involved, it was explained gradually as the story progressed and kept the watcher guessing right up until the end. Digimon also had far superior episode plots over pokemon.

The latter's episodes were essentiall all cut from the exact same cloth. Ash would encounter a pokemon he'd never seen before, try to catch it, be stopped for some reason or another, usually by someone involved with the aforementioned Pokemon, and then Team Rocket would sail down and attempt to steal the new Pokemon. Eventually they would fail thanks in part to the trainer involved with the pokemon. Rinse and repeat.

Though early episodes of Digimon did somewhat follow a similar pattern (kid gets threatened by big monster, kids digimon digivolves, big monter is beaten) this was done simply to introduce the digivolved forms of the main digimon. After the first few episodes the plots became far more varied, with many story arcs carrying on over several episodes. Digimon wins because it always had the chance of going off in directions you never saw coming, and it frequently did do so. Yes there were inconsistencies with the plot, yes there were some things left unexplained, but Digimon dared to be far more ambitious than Pokemon which meant that in the end, it was far more interesting and far more fun to watch.

The Score:
Pokemon - 0
Digimon - 1


The characters

Pokemon had three major characters. Ash, Misty and Brock, and for the most part they never changed or did anything interesting. Sure brock and Misty had backstories but they were terrible stories, explained in one episode and pretty much never touched upon afterwards. The character's never really developed and were simply an excuse to bundle cliches into the mix. Ash was the kid who didn't really have the knowledge but had the heart, Misty was the girl who knew what she was doing and Brock was the flirt. Nothing new, nothing interesting.

That is not to say that the characters from Digimon weren't cliched, of course they were, but Digimon managed to use that and turn it to its advantage by making the major charcateristics of its characters into a plot devise in and of itself. (I speak of the Crests.) Digimon had over twice the amount of main characters that Pokemon did and each one of them went through more development than all three of the Pokemon characters combined. Whether it was Tai's gradual acceptance of the burden of leadership, Matt's growing jealousy over Tai's popularity and his own insecurities about himself as a brother all the characters went through major changes and major drama.

The one thing Pokemon did do well with Ash was to make him fail! However when Ash did lose in the Pokemon league, there was no reason to feel sorry for him, he didn't deserve our sympathy. If the Digidestined had failed, we would have cared, would have felt sorry for them.

Oh yeah, and that stunt with Nurse Joy and Officer Jenny was inexcusably lazy. Digimon wins this round.

The score:
Pokemon - 0
Digimon - 2


The Creatures Themselves

I felt this should be the first section I tackled, as where would either series be without their namesake? The creatures of Pokemon and Digimon might appear similar in design at some points, but they are as different as Apple Pie and Jane Austen.

Pretty much all of the original 150 pokemon were based on animals, there being a few very rare exceptions such as the rock pokemon Geodude and Porygon which could be classed as being based on technology (though really, it's still a bird). The point however is that as well as being based on animals in looks, Pokemon behave like animals as well. Although this makes the monsters far more believable, it somewhat lessens the impact they have as characters.

Digimon on the other hand are seperate characters in their own right, each with wildly different personalities, this makes them far more interesting than the myriad different Pokemon, not only this but the designs of the monsters were also more eclectic, though many were based on animals, becuase they shared human personality traits, their physiology also often contained human characteristics.

However in order to show which one has the best designs for monsters, let's bring up some pictures.

The Worst Looking Pokemon


Yes, that's right. Dragonite. I admit, Dragonite is cute, the problem is that Dragonite is a huge dragon monster of tremendous power. Where does cute fit into that? Dragonite should have looked utterly badass, all big dragons should look utterly badass. Dragonite does not, therefore it is epic fail.


No matter how you look at it, Poliwrath does not look cool. If you think it does... you are wrong :P

The Worst Looking Digimon


It's a turd with arms and a tongue, also it's attack is throwing turds at people... ok Pokemon wins this round, nothing is as lame as Sukamon (though Etamon comes close).

The Score:
Pokemon - 1
Digimon - 2



The Coolest Looking Pokemon


Do I really need to explain why Scyther is awesome?


Its evolved form might look stupid but Dragonair most certainly does not. It looks sleek, elegant and graceful.

The Coolest Looking Digimon


Damn but if Myotismon doesn't look cool! The sort of cross between the foppish dandy and the horrible monster. Divine elegance mixed with the purest evil.


Piedmon is like Circus if he were a Digimon. Piedmon looks awesome to begin with, when you factor in the fact that he's the baddest mother ****er this side of hell, he becomes a lot more interesting.

This point goes to the Digital world methinks.

The Score:
Pokemon - 1
Digimon - 3


And that leads me nicely into my next section.

The Villains

Pokemon

You know Pokemon is going to lose here, it has to, for the simple fact that the main villains in Pokemon are Jessie and James, the most incompetent, useless, uninteresting bad guys to pretty much ever star in a cartoon series. Jessie and James appeared in ever episode and lost in every single one due to their own incompetence. Villains that never manage to achieve anything are not good enemies, they don't ever bring a sense of danger or drama to the preceedings because there never is any real drama. You know Jessie and James will lose, you can pretty much guess how they lose ("Pikachu, use thunderbolt" generally comes pretty close) and you can 100% predict what they will say when they lose. Jessie and James were comic relief only.

Yes, Pokemon did have other villains, Cassidy and Butch sometimes put in an appearance, but for all their talk they suffer from exactly the same problem as Jessie and James, they always fail! Oh and there's Giovanni as well, but you never see his face, which means he's nothing but a bad rip off of Dr. Claw from Inspector Gadget. No thank you.

Digimon
Digimon did have some bad villains I will admit, Etamon was a poor idea of comedy for a start, but Etamon, for all his bad jokes, was at least a challenge to be overcome. When he turned up to fight the Digidestines, there was always the very real chance that they would lose to him, in fact they did more often than not.

The reason Digimon's villians were cooler is because they were actually evil. They were sadistic murderers who wouldn't hesitate to kill any of the Digidestined. Yes, Team Rocket were bad, but all they ever tried to do was steal Pokemon. Myotismon attempted to take over the real world, Piedmon and the Dark Masters almost annihilated the Digital World and would have killed the Digidestined on sight if they got the chance. (Piedmon would have speared Mimi with a dagger if it weren't for Chuumon sacrificing himself to save her)

The bad guys in Digimon were scary, they were evil, they were vicious, they were sadistic, they were cruel, they were awesome. The bad guys in Pokemon were a joke.

The Score
Pokemon - 1
Digimon - 4


More to come ladies and gentlemen
__________________
If you're new here and you have a problem, don't be afraid to PM me and ask about it. I'll try to help you in any way I can
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaffl
That's what the new Space Marine codex relates to. Grilled puppies.

Thanks to JD for the awesome siggy
Tim the Tau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Feb 2009, 02:04   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Posts: 2,770
Send a message via MSN to Tau_devil Send a message via Yahoo to Tau_devil
Default Re: The ultimate battle of ultimate destiny (NO! NOT THE ONE YOU'RE THINKING OF)

Digimon = Apples
Pokemon= Peaches.

I don't see the point in comparing the two. And I think this may end up in SD&D.
__________________
I need a new sig.
Tau_devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Feb 2009, 02:07   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 14,585
Default Re: The ultimate battle of ultimate destiny (NO! NOT THE ONE YOU'RE THINKING OF)

I will support Digimon any day.

Seriously the characters (monsters and humans) are cooler, the plot is more awesome, and hey the story is much darker. Actually to be blunt here; Pokemon does not stand a chance.
__________________
Guide to keeping:
Scorpions : Corn Snakes : Basilisks


Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
crisis_vyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Feb 2009, 02:13   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,141
Default Re: The ultimate battle of ultimate destiny (NO! NOT THE ONE YOU'RE THINKING OF)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD
Digimon = Apples
Pokemon= Peaches.

I don't see the point in comparing the two. And I think this may end up in SD&D.
Au contraire, mon frere.

They're both monster shows that feature a band of protagonists, adventuring though strange and unknown territory, who are periodically confronted by opposing monsters, and must defeat them by using their own monsters.

While the execution may be considerably different, the basic premise is remarkably similar. I wouldn't say that they're beyond comparison.
__________________
Daienden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Feb 2009, 02:18   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,233
Default Re: The ultimate battle of ultimate destiny (NO! NOT THE ONE YOU'RE THINKING OF)


Quote:
Originally Posted by TD
Digimon = Apples
Pokemon= Peaches.

I don't see the point in comparing the two. And I think this may end up in SD&D.
Comparing Digimon and Pokemon to Apples and Peaches is an insult to fruit everywhere.

__________________
"Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil... prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon..." ~ Terry Pratchett
ParadoxRifts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Feb 2009, 02:22   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: USA, Iowa
Posts: 938
Default Re: The ultimate battle of ultimate destiny (NO! NOT THE ONE YOU'RE THINKING OF)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadoxRifts
Comparing Digimon and Pokemon to Apples and Peaches is an insult to fruit everywhere.
Amen
__________________
We have done the impossible… and that makes us mighty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unusualsuspect
Don't you know? Marines have the And They Shall Follow No Rules special rule.
Quote:
Originally Posted by enderwiggin
Meh, shooting roman candles in the face of the SM's charging you IS pretty ballsy...
Ashtoruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Feb 2009, 02:46   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 7,663
Default Re: The ultimate battle of ultimate destiny (NO! NOT THE ONE YOU'RE THINKING OF)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach
They're both monster shows that feature a band of protagonists, adventuring though strange and unknown territory, who are periodically confronted by opposing monsters, and must defeat them by using their own monsters.
Sounds like Magic: The Gathering. :P
Farseer_Emlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Feb 2009, 04:24   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 7,755
Send a message via MSN to Yaifrog
Default Re: The ultimate battle of ultimate destiny (NO! NOT THE ONE YOU'RE THINKING OF)

But remember the games! Digimon were little tamagotchi that kept you interested for about five minutes. Pokemon Red and Blue are timelessly classic RPGs that amuse us to this day, even with the somewhat mediocre later generations.



And what about the movies? The first Pokemon movie had an original and evil villain, and had a great plotline, whereas the Digimon movie... oh, that's right, they didn't have one! :P
Yaifrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Feb 2009, 06:27   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 14,585
Default Re: The ultimate battle of ultimate destiny (NO! NOT THE ONE YOU'RE THINKING OF)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaifrog
And what about the movies? The first Pokemon movie had an original and evil villain, and had a great plotline, whereas the Digimon movie... oh, that's right, they didn't have one! :P
They actualy do have the movies. Omnimon made its first appearance in the first Digimon movie.
__________________
Guide to keeping:
Scorpions : Corn Snakes : Basilisks


Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
crisis_vyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Feb 2009, 06:31   #10 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 12,937
Send a message via MSN to Zen
Default Re: The ultimate battle of ultimate destiny (NO! NOT THE ONE YOU'RE THINKING OF)

HA! Digimon wins hands down. I mean come on! How does Ash makes money......HOW DOES ANYONE IN THAT STUPID SHOW MAKE MONEY?!!?!?!??!
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Ultimate battle of Destiny a funny video, is it just me (please watch)? orkkrusher Enclave Talk 8 27 Jul 2007 15:10
Need some help on Ultimate Spiderman. Kais Cadre Other Games 3 10 Sep 2006 11:15
The ultimate music battle. Zep VS Sab Tim the Tau The Music Forum 37 04 Jul 2006 14:41
the ultimate showdown Anberlin Enclave Talk 4 25 Jun 2006 18:45
Revolution game idea: Ultimate Destiny MagicJuggler Other Games 4 11 May 2006 14:22