Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

How will humanity end itself?
Old 07 Feb 2009, 04:36   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default How will humanity end itself?

Some say asteroids, some say zombies. Others suggest a great virus, others declare nuclear holocaust. How WILL it all end for us? The world itself can't end our existence (our minds are just to adaptable). Most people believe that it will take humans to end humans.

I ask this because I've stubbed upon some rather random but interesting theories myself. The strangest one would be this:

The Earth is polluted and it begins to wither and die under critical strain by fossil fuels. In several desperate attempts to fix the situation, governments around the world begin to mass-produce methane hydrate. (This compound is found below the oceans and is used for carbon fuel cells that give off only water as a by-product.) Methane hydrate is an unstable compound that can freeze water instantly on contact. It was because the extractions were so rushed that mistakes began to accour. Although governments tried to regulate these extractions it was no good. The need for methane hydrate was to great and it had to be extracted faster.
Then, when mining beneath the Atlantic ocean for methane hydrate, an earthquake erupted on the mining site. It was so immense that it split the who sea floor open and exposed the Atlantic ocean to the super-frozen methane hydrate. Within a few weeks, the Atlantic ocean had completely frozen over, killing an uncountable number of marine life. The ocean currents stopped and ice ages followed. Within 100 years of the freezing, 85% of the world's living organisms (plants and animals) are dead. The biosphere completely collapses and over the centuries, the entire surface becomes bare and frozen like Mars.

This was taken from a TV show shown in Japan that is called Ergo Proxy. In the show the last remnants of humanity live in domes that shields them from the outside. Humanity becomes truly extinct when the last dome implodes after hundreds of years of weathering and deterioration.

....If you actually read all of that you may see that there are some random theories out there. So, whats yours? (Please be a little more deep than: ITS GONNA BE A NUCLEAR WAR!)

The Star Forger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Feb 2009, 08:55   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: How will humanity end itself?

with a raptorous round of applause
pepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Feb 2009, 09:23   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

*Doh!-Nuts DarkWand3r3r Msg Player 04-08-2009 17:51:32
Moral of this story... in real life or in a pen and paper game... do not piss off Delpheus or he will OMGWTFBBQPWN your face with a uber hit.
DELPHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Feb 2009, 13:30   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Humanity won't end. We have the ability and strength to always push through to the other side of any disaster that is thrown at us.
Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Feb 2009, 13:32   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Dezart Fox

Unless this recession gets any worse :

See, I'm benefiting from this recession.. all the chocolate and goodies are always on sale ;D

Dezart Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Feb 2009, 17:25   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timjim
Unless this recession gets any worse :

See, I'm benefiting from this recession.. all the chocolate and goodies are always on sale ;D
lol thats true.

....But the recession is only a short-term problem that seems rather small. I'm talking about killer plagues or zombies. Ya know, Armageddon and such. (though this recession DOSE seem quite deadly it won't be wiping life off this planet any time soon.)

The Star Forger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Feb 2009, 17:37   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

ITS GONNA BE A NUCLEAR WAR!

Or...
http://www.cyriak.co.uk/lhc/lhc-webcams.html

Or...
http://skirsch.com/politics/globalwa...Extinction.htm

Or...
Quote:
Four Recipes for a Doomsday Machine
We have so far been discussing Doomsday brought about by natural causes. But what about Doomsday Machines? The term "Doomsday Machine" refers to the class of hypothetical weapons specially designed to destroy all large lifeforms including humans. Could such a weapon be produced? Sadly the answer may be yes. Here are four recipes:

1. Cobalt Bomb Cluster. The easiest Doomsday Machine to construct is the cobalt bomb cluster. Each cobalt bomb is an ordinary atomic bomb encased in a jacket of cobalt. When a cobalt bomb explodes, it spreads a huge amount of radiation. If enough of these bombs were exploded, life on Earth would perish.
2. Wobble Bombs. In this recipe for Doomsday, large hydrogen bombs are placed at strategic locations on Earth and exploded simultaneously. As a result, the Earth may wobble on its axis. If placed at major fault lines, the bombs could trigger a worldwide series of killer earthquakes.
3. Asteroid Bomb. This Doomsday device was actually suggested by Dandrige Cole, a speculator for the General Electric Corporation. He postulated it is possible to capture one of the larger asteroids and send it crashing to Earth by exploding nuclear bombs at specific locations on the surface of the asteroid.
4. Botulis Bombs. Biological Doomsday Machines refer to biological weapons utilizing bacteria, viruses, or various biological toxins. For example, a few pounds of poison produced by the botulis bacteria is sufficient to kill all human life.

Other Ways to Die
"The universe faces a future extinction of endless cold or intolerable heat. The more the universe seems comprehensible, the more it also seems pointless." - Steven Weinberg, The First Three Minutes

"Some say the world will end in fire. Some say in ice..." - Robert Frost

Many believe that the Earth is like an inmate waiting on Death Row. Even if we do not die by a comet or asteroid impact, we know the Earth's days are numbered. The Earth's rotation is slowing down. Far in the future, day lengths will be equivalent to 50 of our present days. The Moon will hang in the same place in the sky, and the lunar tides will stop.

In five billion years, the fuel in our Sun will be exhausted, and the Sun will begin to die and expand, becoming a red giant. At some point, our oceans will boil away. No one on Earth will be alive to see a red glow filling most of the sky. As Freeman Dyson once said, "No matter how deep we burrow into the Earth... we can only postpone by a few million years our miserable end."

Where will humans be, five billion years from now, at the End of the World?

Even if we could somehow withstand the incredible heat of the sun, we would not survive. In about seven billion years, the Sun's outer "atmosphere" will engulf the Earth. Due to atmospheric friction, the Earth will spiral into the sun and incinerate.

Here is our future:

Sun expands to engulf the Earth 7 billion years

Stars cease to form. All large stars 1 trillion years
have become neutron stars or black holes.

Longest-lived stars use up all fuel 100 trillion years

"And when he opened the seventh seal, there was silence in heaven about the space of half an hour." - Book of Revelations (8:1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman J. Dyson
"Goedel proved that the world of pure mathematics is inexhaustible; no finite set of axioms and rules of inference can ever encompass the whole of mathematics; given any finite set of axioms, we can find meaningful mathematical questions which the axioms leave unanswered. I hope that an analogous situation exists in the physical world. If my view of the future is correct, it means that the world of physics and astronomy is also inexhaustible; no matter how far we go into the future, there will always be new things happening, new information coming in, new worlds to explore, a constantly expanding domain of life, consciousness, and memory."
This might be interesting;
http://www.justpressplay.net/movies/...to-movies.html
Genmotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Feb 2009, 17:45   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Most likly a nuclear war i would imagine.
With solid fossile fuels runnign low, countries will be pitted against each other for the remaining resources. After that, they will want each otehrs technology in order to make renewable resources , one thing will lead to another and then some one (probs US) will launch a nuke at some one (probs russians) (just like the video games)
Old 07 Feb 2009, 20:27   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Scout Sergeant Mkoll

Frankly, I can't see the world killing us off. We survived the last Ice Age, we're certainly capable of surviving another. Meteors etc we should see coming. (the odds of us not are pretty slim, combine that with the odds of one hitting us in the first plae and frankly it's a no-go). Alien threat is certainly possible but frankly I think it's going to come down to good old human stupidity. Our complete inability to put aside our differences. We don't have to wipe us all out, just enough to make sure that we're an endangered species and then get wiped out a few generations later.

You'd think that living in such a multi-cultural society in every way shape and form we'd develop at least a reasonable amount of tolerance for sub-classes. Hell, in a few hundred years white people will be the minority in Britain and America. Anyway, I'm going off on a tangent a bit here, personally I reckon human stupidity. I don't know whether it will be a war or a disease followed by pathetic old prejudices preventing breeding or whatever but that's my opinion.
Oh come on, just because I'm carrying around the joy of killing your family, doesn't mean we still can't be friends.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kara Thrace
Ah, I'm minnie, meaning I'm sexy, badass, and will happily shoot you in the back.

Damn, I hope I don't get quoted calling myself sexy. :funny:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordDemon
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to catch you.
Scout Sergeant Mkoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Feb 2009, 20:32   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

I think that the only thing capable of finishing us off would be the sun burning out before we develop a means of traveling to other solar systems.