Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Kevin Rudd's stimulus payment.
Old 03 Feb 2009, 15:28   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Kevin Rudd's stimulus payment.

I'm in an odd situation.

My country apparently needs me to spend some money that it collected off me in the form of taxes, in order to keep the economy idling over at least until the world economy finishes gnawing off it's own face. The emphasis, of course.. is to spend it on Australian goods and services. Yet I'm drawing a complete blank on what to throw my money at that will at least leave me with something concrete for spending it.

Of course, I could very easily blow it on Forgeworld miniatures so don't start there but that isn't the point. Despite the Stimulus package being an exercise in stupidity, I'm going to do my part and start bailing water.. even if I can't help but turn to the Captain and say, "Told you it was a stupid idea."

Anyway, back to the situation at hand..

Does anyone have any good ideas on how to spend about a grand's worth of cash on stuff that keeps good faith with the intention of the stimulus package?
"Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil... prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon..." ~ Terry Pratchett
ParadoxRifts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Feb 2009, 15:52   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer
Default Re: Kevin Rudd's stimulus payment.

I'd blow some of it on a PS3 if you don't already have one; I recently made a guide on how you can upgrade the HDD in just two minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Feb 2009, 16:03   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Not helping. ;D

Besides.. I'm an elitist PC gamer. If installing and getting a game to work doesn't crush all the joy and happiness from your life, your just not getting the full gaming 'experience'.
"Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil... prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon..." ~ Terry Pratchett
ParadoxRifts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Feb 2009, 22:36   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

You getting the straight $950 or are you a lucky one and qualify for more $950 payments? Personally I'm getting myself a washing machine and fixing the car. Then I may splurge a bit on myself.

All the info is here:
Eligibility: http://www.ato.gov.au/corporate/cont....htm&page=3&H3
Other Qualifications: http://www.centerlink.gov.au/interne...ts_feb2009.htm

Dangerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Feb 2009, 00:29   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Well, if you're going to try to spend it in the most fiscally responsible way, your best bet is to spend it with local businesses. Local businesses, on average, pay their employees more and suffer the most when economic downturns occur. If you buy, buy something that needs to be manufactured...hopefully something that is manufactured domestically. That way you're helping multiple levels of employees.

Of course, one could argue that with globalization, spending your money anywhere will help the global economy and trickle down to your home country eventually.

If you want to help me, buy American bonds. :P

Seriously, the 'worst' think you can do is save your money. Economically, that helps no one except the bank. Technically other people benefit from it as well...but I'm so pissed at the banks right now, I'll spite them any way I can. > Investing your money isn't a bad idea. Check out what the interest & minimum investment is in a CD. If you really don't need the money, throw it into a solid investment account, collect the interest and roll it over. I'm not sure what the CD market is right now, though. It might be pretty poor.
Farseer_Emlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Feb 2009, 01:18   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Aun’o Tash’var Shin’jin

I'm putting my $2850 into paying off bills and paying rent in advance... them i'm free to spend the rest on my car.
Eidt by JD: I dunno how you managed to read it after the changes FT
Edit by AC: JD you've spelt edit incorrectly...
Edit by WG: I just wanted to be part of the moment. :P
Aun’o Tash’var Shin’jin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Feb 2009, 01:37   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycan
I'm putting my $2850 into paying off bills and paying rent in advance... them i'm free to spend the rest on my car.
Nice Haul.
Dangerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Feb 2009, 01:38   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff

Why so Serious (a mate of mine)

1500 - Pension Package (just before xmas)
900 - Trainee
950 - Earning below 80k a year

Me... im just getting the 950. Probly spend it on my orks and put some towards a bond.
Old 04 Feb 2009, 01:48   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Aun’o Tash’var Shin’jin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycan
Nice Haul.
Quite... the joys of being self employed and paid a bit too much on tax last financial year.
Eidt by JD: I dunno how you managed to read it after the changes FT
Edit by AC: JD you've spelt edit incorrectly...
Edit by WG: I just wanted to be part of the moment. :P
Aun’o Tash’var Shin’jin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Feb 2009, 03:00   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

So only those on centrelink get the payout by the looks of it.

Somewhat annoying for those such as myself who've been working their arses off the entire time we've been a student so we don't have to sign up for government payouts, but never mind. Ah, well, just blow my normal tax refund then.

"Well, a gathering is brie, mellow song stylings; shindig, dip, less mellow song stylings, perhaps a large amount of malt beverage; and hootenanny, well, it's chock full of hoot, just a little bit of nanny." Oz (Buffy, episode 2, season 3)

"I don't like coke, i just like the way it smells" Unknown

"and in the words of our lord and saviour, jesus christ, **** you if you can't take a joke" The Glass House
BloodiedFangs is offline   Reply With Quote