Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

The Ambush Plan (For you, Veqq!)
Old 01 Feb 2009, 17:32   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default The Ambush Plan (For you, Veqq!)

Veqq, some others and I were talking about my upcoming ambush on junior cadets (hereby called Green horns.)

It's my job to teach them by beating them. There will be an L shaped road, and I get to set up the ambush This is a true ambush. They will be equipped, but they don't know where it will take place.

Here's a very rough map of the place, plus the units.

I'll be tending one of the automatics at the end of the L. We are using a thick bush roadblock to cover up the right side of the road, and I have two fireteams on either side of the road, in blue boxes.

We have set up fake mines on the road. These are fake fake, meaning, its just to make them think there are mines so it disrupts their movement, but they are not actually 'fake mines'. It can be confusing...

Then the yellow circles are the actual fake mines, where if you step on them (Some of them are trip-wire activated) a flag pops up which reads "Your dead".

Our plan will be to let them get right infront of the automatics. Then open fire, and they will scatter. We have placed the real fake mines where they will be most likely to scatter too. Then the fire teams open up after the mines go off, to add to the confusion. We'll hit em hard and fast. Total engagment should be less than three minutes, assuming we have two squads to engage. The main problems with this is we will wipe out the first unit, but the second unit (if it is spaced to the rear) will know whats going on and will actually have time to scatter.

I'll post in a couple hours on how it goes >
Old 01 Feb 2009, 18:20   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to icer190
Default Re: The Ambush Plan (For you, Veqq!)

Question, what is the dark blue square on the right of the road?
icer190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Feb 2009, 18:21   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Both blue squares are fire teams. Dark blue is four men, light blue is five men.
Old 01 Feb 2009, 18:22   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to icer190

I don't think you should have the fire teams facing each other....

Friendly fire much?
icer190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Feb 2009, 18:27   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

You could put the teams not directly across from each other, like this:

Road

TEAM | |
| |
| | TEAM

That way you can wait until both enemy units are next to one team, allowing you to destroy both at once.
GeekyGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Feb 2009, 18:36   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to T pok Send a message via MSN to T pok

The road block doesn't seem too useful there, as it seems that you guys will be attacking before they get to it?

Here's What I would do:
http://i514.photobucket.com/albums/t341/Veqq/Plan.jpg
(I've no idea how to embed... )

Basiclly, they walk down the road, the first group gets to the road block, the team that dosn't move works on them, well the other team makes sure that the 2nd team won't be able to scatter/get away.

The real mines are there because that's their only real escape route. As going back up will get them cut down, and going forward walks into the autos. The fake mines are there in somewhat plain sight so they won't think of going there, and if they push forward your men will move down. If they try to go back your men stay put and take them out.

Then again, you have more knowledge then me in such things... :P
brave kid, i don't know if i could do that. whichever girl gets you for life is the luckiest in the world.
T pok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Feb 2009, 18:46   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

The teams are not exactly opposite each other, and they will be firing towards the automatics more than at each other.

The roadblock stops them from moving down that part of the road and hems them in. Otherwise, the roadblock would restrict firing lanes for our autos. I managed to grab a laptop to be on here, the excercise starts in about twenty minutes >

No cameras allowed though :-\
Old 01 Feb 2009, 18:55   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Sweet. Good luck.
Old 01 Feb 2009, 19:37   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

OK, that was awesome.

But first, the guns: We are using rifles and automatics loaded with blanks, but they also have laser designators on them, and our combats have recievers on them for being hit and what not. It's basically laser tag, but your guns have recoil and shoot blanks just like a normal weapon, to make it more realistic.

Two units of around ten men each, one twenty feet ahead of the other, come up the road. We have eyes on target long before they approached the checkpoint (it's a very long, strait road.) We wait, with my loader holding a flare pistol. The first unit gets to the ambush zone, and sees the roadblock. They don't know what to do. Go into the trees or remove the roadblock? On previous "games" we had booby trapped the roadblock, so they left it alone and waited for the second group to arrive (They had fallen back to around 35 feet behind, if I have to guess.)

I nod to my loader, and he fires the flare over their heads (Shot it diagonally upwards.) They all look up at the flare, momentarily distracted. Then the other gunner and I open up, dropping a few of them, and the rest scatter. Some get into the trees, but are met by my booby traps, and quickly finished off by the fire teams.

The only hitch was the second group had time to get into the trees, without any booby traps, and set up to fight our own fire teams. I should now mention there are ditches on either side of the road that I forgot to put on the map.

Our two fire teams rush the scattering second group, guns firing. The enemy fallback (Probably trying to get into the ditch for protection) and righ into the sights of my own M60, and the other gunners modified (Canadian issue) SAW. Needless to say, they were stuck between fire teams moving through cover, and two machine guns covering the road. Four green horns managed to surrendur.

I asked them afterwards what they had learned. Apparently, scouts on either side of the road, and a scout or two ahead of the main unit is a good thing to have!

I had the privledge of running this, even with the lowest rank. I am technically a Private First Class, and am due to become a corporal, but that does not go into effect until the summer, so I still carry the rank of Private. However, I am a senior, with my second semester starting now, so that helped out a bit.

We lost two from the dark blue fire team (One friendly fire, one KIA.). Apparently when they rushed, one man went too far ahead, and behind LOS blocking trees. When he came back around, he was shot. I'll have to work on that...

And that's it. So sixteen KIA and four captured for the lose of two guys, not bad! The fire teams could have stayed put, but that would've given the enemy chances to find good cover, and to stay in the ditch. It all revolved around quick movement, even if it means exposing yourself.

My second gripe with the enemy, is they didn't even see my really fake (The ones that don't have mines) booby traps, which were meant to disrupt them. A few of them even got stepped on! If I had had more mines, I would've caused more casualties quicker, and my two loses may have been salvaged.

All in all, really good practice and good fun all around. It's not meant to be fun, but oh well.

Old 01 Feb 2009, 19:53   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Ouch, friendly fire sucks. Good to hear it went well overall though.