Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

questions for some pen and paper rpg fans
Old 17 Jan 2009, 03:26   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default questions for some pen and paper rpg fans

Im curious. For rpg fans, when healing comes into equation what has been your gripes, and likes about it?

and would you find a game system using a 1-12 (2d6) system an annoyance, or if used right a quick and easy gameplay?
pepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jan 2009, 03:29   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: questions for some pen and paper rpg fans

Main gripe with D&D style healing: It's instant. It's like, oh, I'm just a head, with 1 hp. Oh, I'm good, full body 6 seconds later.
Gripe with dark heresy healing: Takes six months of you not being in any quests, and good medical care is really expensive.

I prefer I medium, where you can patch up a wound (Ala field dressings, and foam which fills in a wound temporarily) but if you don't seek proper medical aid, it affects your stats more and more over time.

As for 1-12, I don't think it would matter, but it does seem a bit odd. If you can make it work, it'll work. Otherwise, it's just funky, but can still work.
Old 17 Jan 2009, 03:38   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

well im trying to play test a concept idea I got going using a 2d6 system. Im trying to find a few factors to solve.

Healing

and speed of gameplay.

Patch up series seems possible with the ideas I got going. But its not so much a patch up as it is an after effect ;D if you ever played final fantasy tactics, think monk "chakra" but with a side of groginess.

A melee system im working with is a 2d6 similar to a warhammer 40k ld test. For instance a skill of 8 of 12 means rolling a ld of 8 to pass the melee portion, you would roll your strength plus a d6 compared to tougness to determine the damage. On a roll of 12 you score a critical, you have the chance while making your character to modify melee, range, or personal skills to mod it up to 10-12 to chance up a critical.

While it seems likely to hit, and critical, I wanted to include an evasion type stat where you roll to dodge a blow. And tailor a string of mobs, from your basic low end, to determined elite/ boss types. I have plans for capping an evasion at 6 but I got to play test it a bit.

ill address the melee later because its still early.
Old 17 Jan 2009, 04:02   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Ravager

Pepsi, the problem with using a 1-12 system with 2D6 is that there are only 11 possible outcomes. 2-12.

We have done the impossible... and that makes us mighty.
Firefly is pretty much made of Awesome, Funny, and Aww. Sometimes simultaneously. We'd better stop before we quote the entire script.
–tvtropes.org
Ravager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jan 2009, 04:04   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calian Gecko
Main gripe with D&D style healing: It's instant. It's like, oh, I'm just a head, with 1 hp. Oh, I'm good, full body 6 seconds later.
Gripe with dark heresy healing: Takes six months of you not being in any quests, and good medical care is really expensive.

I prefer I medium, where you can patch up a wound (Ala field dressings, and foam which fills in a wound temporarily) but if you don't seek proper medical aid, it affects your stats more and more over time.

As for 1-12, I don't think it would matter, but it does seem a bit odd. If you can make it work, it'll work. Otherwise, it's just funky, but can still work.
DH depends on the GM. If you play by the suggested rules of Fate points, then I tend to see lots of "last action for the night is to temp-burn all my fate points and heal". :P

My new GM(s) give us back our temporarily used fate points sporadically.

For DnD, I hate how you can continue fighting completely fine when your total life is maybe 1/100ths of your normal.
I never got to the point though. I'm cursed in DnD so I take the precise dose/amount of munchkinism to offset my poor rolling. (I've rolled a 1 on a D20 over 7 times in a row before, in a single night). :P

I think the healing suits DH when you don't include Fate Point healing into it (or psychic). Combat is deadly and generally quick in that game. If you get that hurt, well it's generally the players fault (not taking cover, charging an enemy with an automatic weapon, etc.)

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jan 2009, 04:05   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

thats what I thought at first, but I think theres a way around that. For skills etc... its already in my head. Its melee that needs to be looked at for me. Call me a nut, but ill cook something up for melee, but I love ideas.

so far, main gripes are instantaneous healing, but how far would the crippling go in your opinion for patches.
Old 17 Jan 2009, 04:29   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

The best game system I've ever played is the Seven Seas D10 system. Very skill based, highly customizable, the mechanics are more roleplaying friendly than pretty much anything Ive ever seen, and above all, it's just plain fun to play.

D12s are kinda the odd man out. Save for the barbarian, they never got much play in DnD, and most people dont bother with them much.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jan 2009, 04:33   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

how about a representation in the case of strength.

Like for instance.

Strength of this number uses # of d6 vs toughness of person, or monster?
Old 17 Jan 2009, 04:41   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

The biggest problem with D6 based systems is that you don't have a good distribution of numbers...you can only get so much variation with 1d6, and if you use 2d6 or 3d6, most results end up in the middle of the range.

Also, d10s have the inherent advantage of making great percentage dice.

A roll and keep system is great, imo. IE, roll five dice, keep three. This allows you to do only one roll, and have more skills affect it. Rapid, yet still not ridiculously simplified. In 7seas, stats would normally control your kept die, while your rolled dice would be controlled by stats + skill level, and everything had a target number to beat. One roll, affected by your phyiscal attributes, your skill level, and the circumstances or opposing skills. Very quick.

It did also have an exploding system, which was similar to criticals in other systems. Any die that ends up a ten results in another die roll added to it. This is true for just about any roll in the game. The extra unpredictability is great, as you always have at least a chance for anything to happen.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jan 2009, 04:44   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

If you want some variation, or some ideas I came across this little gem awhile back.

http://www.darkshire.net/jhkim/rpg/freerpgs/

Granted, I used it for the horror section, but I imagine there's something for everyone. :

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote