Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Strategic/Diplomacy based Middle East Sim (MAPS CREATED AND UPLOADED)
Old 14 Jan 2009, 10:42   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to crazedmongoose2003
Default Strategic/Diplomacy based Middle East Sim (MAPS CREATED AND UPLOADED)

Basically what I have in mind is a political/strategic/diplomatic Sim of the Middle East in recent times, based on the Axis and Allies Rules.

I think this would make for a fun game because no where in the world, I think we can all agree, is a region as volatile, war filled and high stakes as the Middle East. Oil, political capital, strategic interests. Every world power worth a damn has a few stakes in the Middle East. Yet amongst all this chess there's the other level, the countries themselves, Israel, Egypt, Iran, Iraq, Saudi Arabia all trying to rise to greatness. Shifting alliances, wars, religious insurrection, outside influence, the Middle East has it all, not to mention a clash of military technologies from every corner of the world and a geopolitical climate which would make a game very fascinating indeed.

So to make any Axis and Allies map, the first thing we'd need is a map. A middle east outline map shouldn't be too hard to get, but it's more defining provinces, and assigning resource value to those provinces, that's going to be a bummer.

Next, factions. Each faction should start with what provinces, what rule bonuses, what units, where. I think in terms of factions it would help to split this whole scenario into three chapters players can play from. The three rough chapters I have in mind:

Chapter 1: 1948--1967
Chapter 2: 1968--1990
Chapter 3: 1990+

Mainly because the main middle eastern movements were very different in these periods.

In Chapter 1 (working title: a tank! my kingdom for a tank!), WW2 has just finished, Britain and France leaves the Middle East, Israel is formed in the midst of war against her Arab neighbours, along with a host of fledging monarchies and theocracies. The US, Britain, France and later the USSR are the major foreign powers. Soon these monarchies begins dropping like flies in the face of popular revolutions forming anti-western nations, and then the USSR steps in.

In Chapter 2 (working title: cold war in the sandpit), Israel, Syria, Jordan and Egypt ready for a climactic showdown in the six day war as Iraq and Iran mark each other's throats. The USSR and USA are the biggest outside powers, each attempting to bring more countries into their spheres.

In Chapter 3 (working title: blood for oil) the USSR has fallen and Iraq gathers her massive tank divisions ready to crush the Kingdoms of the Persian Gulf. America is now the sole outside power for about 10 years before Europe, Russia and China can think about moving in again. And Israel grows more powerful by the day, Iran struggles to restore it's place as a regional power, as the other nations face the pressures of Westernization.

And of course there should just be an alternative sandbox version.

What I'd need people to help me with, is mainly four areas:

mapping

unit stats

rules for outside powers/aid/interference

additional rules (national bonuses, partisan activity, reforms, rebellions etc)

So, any takers?

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.ph...c,86474.0.html
crazedmongoose2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jan 2009, 10:49   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Trying to make a new game, Strategic/Diplomacy based Middle East Sim

I can maybe help with the mechanics etc., and am always ready and willing to point out mistakes in any existing rules made by someone else. ;D

I don't know how much spare time I got, but if you need extra hand, let me know.

LordDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jan 2009, 11:00   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Trying to make a new game, Strategic/Diplomacy based Middle East Sim

Well for the mechanics I just want to make a variation of Axis and Allies rules. At least for combat, production and resource acquisition. Which is pretty simplistic. If you don't know them, check them out it takes like 5 minutes to learn and the rules should be anywhere.

The first thing we need is, somebody to compile lists of:

weapons regularly used or historically was used in the middle east (ie. Israel uses M1A1 Abrams and F-16s, Iraq used a lot of Chinese Type 51's, Soviet T-72's, Chinese J-7 fighters, MiGs etc.)

general figures for oil and other valuables productions by middle eastern countries, as well as a scant GDP per country maybe. General data like population and military as well. (though I have a vague idea of each country's population and oil production levels)

lists of potential provinces/areas

Though theoretically it's possible to make every country playable, the main player oriented countries we're looking for is:

Egypt
Israel
Saudi Arabia
Iran
Iraq

Other countries includes:

Syria
Jordan
Lebanon
Palestine (a nation for all intents and purposes)
Oman
Yemen
Qatar
Kuwait
UAE
Bahrain

I mean you wouldn't ever want to play as Bahrain or Qatar, but you know, let's put them there.

Maybe Cyprus and maybe Turkey. But I get the feeling that politically those countries are so much more entwined with Europe.

Maybe Afghanistan as well?

Old 14 Jan 2009, 11:36   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Well let's get the obvious out of the way.

A region's resource points, that is, how many points that region will earn the controlling player a turn, is based roughly on:

population
trade
oil
agriculture
mineral production
strategic importance

So Lebanon would be a 1 but UAE and Suez Canal would be maybe 4-6 apiece.

Four countries have lotsa oil:

Saudi Arabia
Iran
Iraq
UAE

I've no idea about the relative agricultural/commodities/minerals production of these countries though.

Old 14 Jan 2009, 11:43   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat...orld-factbook/

Does that help a little? It's got a ton of information.
Farseer_Emlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jan 2009, 11:45   #6 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen

I'll take any Terrorist Rogue Axis of Evil Sand Nigga Islamic State. Preference; Iran and Iraq
Saudi Arabia and the UAE is too much of pussies.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jan 2009, 11:57   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Well this isn't so much an invitation to play as there is no game yet. But if you can dig up information or some broad ideas on how to divide regions in Iraq/Iran that would be good.

The scale I'm looking for, a country like Iraq should probably have about 4-6 regions.

Old 14 Jan 2009, 12:05   #8 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Just reserving my place in advanced Oh, btw:

Old 14 Jan 2009, 12:20   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Yeah see I need to narrow that down to maybe 4-6 regions.

I'm trying to find any existing risk, axis and allies or other strategy game maps for the middle east. (but nothing like EQ which is just way too complicated)

Okay these are the preliminary areas I'm bouncing around with their resource points (it costs 2 to train a militia, the most basic or all units, for reference):

Israel:
Tel Aviv: 6
Northern Israel: 2
Haifa: 3
Central Israel: 2/2
East Jerusalem: 4/2
Old City: 0/2
Southern Israel: 1/2
Total per turn: 18/8

Palestine:
Jenin: 1
Hebron: 0
West Bank: 2/3
Gaza: 0
Total per turn: 3/3

Lebanon:
Beirut: 2/1
Sidon: 1/1
North Lebanon: 1
Total per turn: 4/2

Egypt:
Cairo: 6
Alexandria: 2/1
Sinai: 2
Suez: 4/5
Lower Egypt: 3/1
Upper Egypt: 1
Total Per Turn: 18/1/6

Jordan:
Amman: 3/1
Ma'an: 1/2
Al Mufraq: 0/1
Irbid: 2/1
Total per turn: 6/1/4

Syria:
Damascus: 3/1
Golan Heights: 0/2
Aleppo: 2/1
Tartus: 2/1
Euphrates: 3
Homs: 1
Total per Turn: 11/1/4

Saudi Arabia:

Riyadh: 2/4
Medina: 1/3
Mecca: 2/2/4
Northern Border: 0/2
Tabuk: 1
Eastern Province: 3/12
Dhahran: 1/3
Total per Turn: 10/18/12

Qatar:
Qatar: 2/1/1
Total per Turn: 2/1/1

Bahrain:
Bahrain: 1/1
Total per Turn: 1/1

UAE:
Abu Dhabi: 1/2
UAE: 1/4
Dubai: 2/2
Total per Turn: 4/4/4

Kuwait
Kuwait: 2/1
Al Jahra: 1/1
Al Ahmadi: 1
Total: 4/1/1

Oman:
Muscat: 2
Oman: 1/2
Total per Turn: 3/2

Yemen:
Sanaa: 2
North Yemen: 0
South Yemen: 2/1
Aden: 1/2
Total per turn: 5/1/2

Iraq:
Baghdad: 4
Central Iraq: 2/2
Southern Iraq: 2/2
Kurdistan: 2/1/2
Dahuk: 1/1
Basra: 2/2
Northern Iraq: 1/2
Total per Turn: 14/6/6

Iran:
Tehran: 6
Zanjan: 1
Azarbaijan: 3/1/2
Fars: 2
Kerman: 2/2
Khorasan: 3/3
Khorasan South: 1/
Ishafan: 4/2
Total per Turn: 22/6/4

Old 14 Jan 2009, 15:01   #10 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

I TAKE IRAN!